Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The Chinese solved this problem 70 years ago.
    They really haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Decriminalise drugs. The Govt will over tax them thus neutralising any if the benefits such a move would have toward organised crime etc.

The criminals like this man would under cut them and still make a packet.

The government puts a huge amount of tax on cigs and alcohol, and while there is a black market, almost everyone buys theirs through legitimate establishments.

Also, “it won’t solve the problem 100% so there’s no point trying it” is a defeatist attitude in the absence of any better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

3 strikes and you're out would go a long way. I'd love to know if there are any stats to show how much in legal aid has been spent on this ****er. That night explain why the legal system wont reform. Literally an ATM.

3 strikes might be a little bit on the low side but I definitely think if someone racks up a string of convictions for serious crimes then they're not going to change and that should be it for them for a long time. Theres two problems though as I see it - the judiciary are a bunch of clowns and we dont have the prison space to put these lads away for a good stretch. Both those issues need sorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Ridiculous change in the law when child’s age was amended to its 18th Birthday. Previously, you were an adult in law until 17th birthday. 17 year olds are not children. They are way more streetwise than the 17 year old in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It doesn't work guys it's been proven all over the world. You can't win the war on drugs through policing and the courts. It's a global problem.
    You can put away a Gilligan but someone else will just take over.

• Advertisement

Not if the prisons are actually run like, well prisons.

It's not a deterrent, the worst jails around the world are full of drug gang members locked up indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

rob316 wrote: »
    It doesn't work guys it's been proven all over the world. You can't win the war on drugs through policing and the courts. It's a global problem.

That’s basically why decriminalisation is the answer. You then pump a lot of money into mental health support and tackling addiction as well to break the cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It's not a deterrent, the worst jails around the world are full of drug gang members locked up indefinitely.

But its somewhere to put the animals and punish the.

There is no deterrent for most of these animals. We need to forget about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

3 strikes and you're out would go a long way. I'd love to know if there are any stats to show how much in legal aid has been spent on this ****er. That night explain why the legal system wont reform. Literally an ATM.

The whole legal aid merry go round is a complete joke. Nobody ever seems to mention it.

€65 million in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Does that mean Gilligan should have been let off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

All these lads are dangerous bastrds and need to be taken off the streets. If it wasnt drugs they'd be into some other shyte making people's lives a misery. People with 20, 50, 100 previous convictions shouldn't be walking around simple as that.

Does that mean Gilligan should have been let off?

Of course not you need to be held accountable for your crimes. But I was just pointing out it didn't dent the trade he ran it from behind bars or someone else stepped in and that will always be the case while the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I am not saying him. I mean the people that were unlucky enough to live around him.

I guess what i am saying is we have a profound affect on our environment. All of us. Drug dealers do teachers do politicians do. We have to make sure the positive affect outweighs the evil affects.

You can't beat evil with evil. It just grows angrier and more bitter.
    What's this we business? WE dont have to do anything. I go to work, pay my tax and contributions. Educate and further myself to pay more tax and contributions. I live a compliant life and contribute to society, as do many others. WE do not have any duty to somehow counter the negativity that these pond scum create.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

KiKi III wrote: »
    The decriminalisation of all drugs per the highly successful Portuguese model would deprive the gangs of a huge chunk of their income so that’s where I’d start.

After that, a mixture of the carrot and the stick I suppose:

- longer sentences for violent crime
    - more, better trained, armed police in the worst effected areas
    - early intervention programs starting in primary school
    - incentives for kids from those areas to go on to third level

I’m no expert though, just spitballing.

- increased powers and/or resources for CAB and targeted proactive interventions against crime families and gangs - make it impossible for them to live and spend their money in Ireland
    - converting child benefit from a monthly payment into a tax credit

Antares35 wrote: »
    What's this we business? WE dont have to do anything. I go to work, pay my tax and contributions. Educate and further myself to pay more tax and contributions. I live a compliant life and contribute to society, as do many others. WE do not have any duty to somehow counter the negativity that these pond scum create.

There is no you without we. You will drown too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's like we're living in a modern day prohibition, early enough to prune it. But with the endless supply of cocaine (the main fuel in this) coming in, mostly via the Kinahans it's only going to get worse as they each fight for a larger piece of the 'business'.
    Eventually the most ruthless scumbags will be sitting at the top and giving orders to at least a hundred more ruthless scumbags under each of them. Owning Gardaí, running protection rackets on councils and businesses, all the while legit businesses close down on the high streets while rents increase and footfall decreases.
    It's bleak it's looking.
    It's probably bleaker than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If you are conducting intimidation tactics on behalf of criminals and drug gangs....you are not a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

The state has a lot to answer for regarding this squalid 'gangland' pile of s**te which is glamourised by the Paul Williams, the Indo and the Sunday World, it's been allowed to fester ever since the days of Martin Cahill.

I always get the sense that a lot of people get a weird voyeuristic buzz out of it feeding off the lawless 'wild Irish' self caricature.

There wouldn't be such an underclass if we followed a more Benelux or Nordic model of society even though it was always the case that the existing state apparatus and legal system would by and large deliver an 'Anglo' society as much as we self-pleasure ourselves about being 'Not British/English'.

Another legacy of colonial rule is that people love being outraged, appalled or looking down their noses at the Deco's, the John-Paul's and the Tracey's but aren't the slightest bit interested in improving social mobility as they viscerally enjoy having these people 'in their inferior place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is all the outraged public stopped taking cocaine?

What if there was no demand any more?

No point in saying " that murder was shocking " then heading out on Saturday night and snorting a few lines down your local club.

I am not sure why we are focusing on whether or not he was a child.

It doesn't matter its still awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

NIMAN wrote: »

No point in saying " that murder was shocking " then heading out on Saturday night and snorting a few lines down your local club.

Hear hear.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

NIMAN wrote: »

Very true - see in all the bars I visit, go to the cubicles and you know someone was just in snorting, walk out the bar and the beggars are selling it (probably flour). This seems to have only started happening again in the past few years. 20 years ago you saw it everywhere then seemed to disappear (everyone broke), now back with a vengeance - mad fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No one would be buying cocaine and snorting it in pubs if no one was selling it in the first place.

When there was a massive heroin problem in Dublin in the 80's noone was blaming the underclass off Crumlin for causing the problem, the drug dealers were called 'drug pushers' and thought of as scum of the earth for bringing misery to that already disadvantaged area. But when the consumers of cocaine are though to be middle-class i.e. well off, even working class, it's all their fault now and not the drug pushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

AllForIt wrote: »
    No one would be buying cocaine and snorting it in pubs if no one was selling it in the first place.

When there was a massive heroin problem in Dublin in the 80's noone was blaming the underclass off Crumlin for causing the problem, the drug dealers were called 'drug pushers' and thought of as scum of the earth for bringing misery to that already disadvantaged area. But when the consumers of cocaine are though to be middle-class i.e. well off, even working class, it's all their fault now and not the drug pushers.

Demand = Supply

Not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

AllForIt wrote: »

its a good point you make but this isn't the 80s people know what there getting into ,people in the big jobs are still the biggest users of cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I knew well, this kind of death seldom happens to actually innocent people here, sounds like a bit of justice might actually have happened for once, this is the pendulum swing to the likes of martin nolan.

A 17 year old psychopath drug dealing animal murder wiped off the face of our land.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I find it hard to have much sympathy, he was a bit of a psycho himself at 17, I only wonder how much damage he'd have done had he lived. The nature of his death is completely barbaric and obviously no one deserves that but had he just been shot I doubt anyone would care really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wow, this thread. This place.

Obviously, he was far from an angel, but that murder and the aftermath was barbarity plain and simple. And a lot of you seem to reveling in it. Christ. I find that shocking, but is that even surprising anymore? I guess that passes for normal behaviour on Boards. It's gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

eviltwin wrote: »
    I find it hard to have much sympathy, he was a bit of a psycho himself at 17, I only wonder how much damage he'd have done had he lived. The nature of his death is completely barbaric and obviously no one deserves that but had he just been shot I doubt anyone would care really.

thats it, not saying dismembering a body is any way to deal with anything, horrific absolutely but on balance did the world need somebody like this in it, i find it hard to argue that it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

R.I.P the cat.

Advertisement