Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Hoboo wrote: »
    Really? Living in absolute fear? Out of the probably 200 people I spoke to over Christmas in Drogheda not one expressed fear. Not one. Most of my friends live there, I'm a few miles away now, living up the road from Cornelius Price of all people. Zero fear. They have no interest in people who aren't involved, and you've more chance of getting cancer from air pollution than being hit by a stray bullet. Anyone living in fear needs to step away from the TV and social media,.unless their kids are involved and getting a shake down in which case **** them, their kids and therefore they, are part of the problem.

This latest murder is a new low. It shows a horrific brutality our town has never seen before.
    Any one living in rathmullan with CCTV on their house got called by the guards to hand over footage. A relative of mine is now living in fear incase she would be classed as a rat.
    They are shopping in Scotch Hall,drinking in local pubs, we have seen how recklessly they have been shooting bullets at each other. There is definitely a fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And you only have to look at the innocent taxi man last week to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

No sympathy for the scumbag, my only worry is that innocent bystanders will get caught up in this.

But people who snort that **** (literally - it came in some fat hairy mules ARSEHOLE) up their nose, you are supporting this !!!

You are paying these little scrotes wages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lashes28 wrote: »
    This latest murder is a new low. It shows a horrific brutality our town has never seen before.
    Any one living in rathmullan with CCTV on their house got called by the guards to hand over footage. A relative of mine is now living in fear incase she would be classed as a rat.
    They are shopping in Scotch Hall,drinking in local pubs, we have seen how recklessly they have been shooting bullets at each other. There is definitely a fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And you only have to look at the innocent taxi man last week to see that.

All you have to say it ain't working....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

If this lad was shot to death, nobody would bat an eyelid. It is how he met his end which horrifies everyone.

Did he kill a cat?? :confused: total gamechanger for me !!!! no sympathy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't agree. Apple made an iPhone then everyone wanted one.

I don't agree. Everyone demanded better phone technology and Apple supplied it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Possession should be a choice of €5000 fine, or 6 months in prison, or 1 month in hard labour.

Double the punishment every time.

Dolers caught in possession get no dole for 3 months.

That would stop people taking this stuff and kill the market.

Harsh penalties would put most off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It is indeed high time something was done. I'm thinking tacnuke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

whippet wrote: »

The gangs MO is to suck young teenagers in ... create debt and then make it escalate forcing these kids to get their parents and extended family involved ... drugs are only part of it ... it’s horrific.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier.
    The grooming of young boys from dysfunctional homes is a huge problem.
    They have nobody to care about them, and when they are introduced to that lifestyle its all sunshine and roses.
    Adults who look out for them, free drugs, money coming in, new friends and protection. A child who has grown up in neglect is going to fall for it hook line and sinker.
    That's how they recruit their members and by the time they want out, they're in too deep and there's no escape apart from death.

Its pure manipulation of vulnerable youths and we really need to consider bringing in laws to punish the adults who do this.

Its easy to say he's just a scumbag and good riddance, but that doesn't help the problem at all. If the escalations continue innocent members of the public will be caught in the crossfire and no one wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This is the point I was trying to make earlier.
    The grooming of young boys from dysfunctional homes is a huge problem.
    They have nobody to care about them, and when they are introduced to that lifestyle its all sunshine and roses.
    Adults who look out for them, free drugs, money coming in, new friends and protection. A child who has grown up in neglect is going to fall for it hook line and sinker.
    That's how they recruit their members and by the time they want out, they're in too deep and there's no escape apart from death.

Its pure manipulation of vulnerable youths and we really need to consider bringing in laws to punish the adults who do this.

Its easy to say he's just a scumbag and good riddance, but that doesn't help the problem at all. If the escalations continue innocent members of the public will be caught in the crossfire and no one wants that.

Its a lack of male role models, when you have an estate and the local drug dealer is the lad with the most money and getting the most respect its a terrible recipie for young mens decelopment. Without seeing men doing well at legitimate professions in their community, they havent a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

easypazz wrote: »
    Possession should be a choice of €5000 fine, or 6 months in prison, or 1 month in hard labour.

I agree entirely.

The problem being that we're relying on politicians to bring this legislation in and they're most likely coked up to their eyeballs themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

With all the hooh hah about whether he is a "child" or not, it's interesting that nobody has mentioned the legal age of criminal responsibility in Ireland is 12, lowered to 10 for rape and murder offences (Children Act 2001). He might have been a "child" in terms of it being illegal for him to drink, but our legal system recognises that "children" can be capable of grievous actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Antares35 wrote: »
    With all the hooh hah about whether he is a "child" or not, it's interesting that nobody has mentioned the legal age of criminal responsibility in Ireland is 12, lowered to 10 for rape and murder offences (Children Act 2001). He might have been a "child" in terms of it being illegal for him to drink, but our legal system recognises that "children" can be capable of grievous actions.

And our justice system is capable of handing out suspended sentences to absolutely every scumbag in the country instead of actually deterring people from a life of crime.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Hoboo wrote: »
    Really? Living in absolute fear? Out of the probably 200 people I spoke to over Christmas in Drogheda not one expressed fear. Not one. Most of my friends live there, I'm a few miles away now, living up the road from Cornelius Price of all people. Zero fear. They have no interest in people who aren't involved, and you've more chance of getting cancer from air pollution than being hit by a stray bullet. Anyone living in fear needs to step away from the TV and social media,.unless their kids are involved and getting a shake down in which case **** them, their kids and therefore they, are part of the problem.

you have totally missed the point of what I am saying - you are not in fear, I am not in fear - however there are families all over rathmullen and other parts of drogheda who are - and are getting sucked in by no fault of their own.

They are getting kids involved - Kids are coerced or threatened in to holding on to stash, weapons etc – get them in to debt – small amounts for a little bit of weed or a small bag. This debt then grows (for no reason) – it’s just extortion in reality. Kid can’t pay it back – parents are then threatened to pay – if they don’t pay then Aunties and Uncles, brothers, cousins etc are threatened to pay … so suddenly you have people totally unconnected living in fear of having their house burned down or worse.

I know for a fact that this is happening in rathmullen – so I am correct in saying that there are innocent families living in absolute fear in Drogheda

KiKi III wrote: »
    Child is pushing it but I’m being lambasted for describing him as a teenager which is totally accurate.

It is a shocking thing that someone so young would be killed and dismembered. It says something about our society. It also says something about our society how many people are posting here basically saying they’re glad he’s dead.

What does it say? What does this sweeping statement even mean? Who is "society" - are compliant, law abiding, tax paying citizens who don't use drugs somehow culpable in this person's death? If so, how? And what are we supposed to do about it? How do we prevent it from happening again?

I'll never be "glad" anyone is dead, I'll either be saddened and upset by it because they were close to me, or I won't really be that saddened or upset because they weren't. Frankly I don't have the energy to expend being "glad" some 17 year old criminal I didn't even know was dead - the most I can stretch to is indifference.

These sweeping statements about "how telling it is of our society" and how "we have a responsibility to stop this" and "Ireland has become a grim place to live" are peddled out by bleeding heart brigade every time something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

I mean if someone killed my cat. I would want to beat the ****e out of them .....but like i wouldn't because i would realize that is only starting an endless circle of revenge and violence.

My later reaction would be LETS PUNISH ALL PEOPLE WHO HURT CATS! ....10 yrs for anyone who hurts a cat!

I love my animals. I'd take a John Wick attitude to somebody that murdered a defenseless animal.

ilkhanid wrote: »
    I love my animals.

Me too !! My whole attitude changed when I heard about the cat !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

rob316 wrote: »
    The outrage is down to him been 17, no one would bat an eyelid if he was older. You can be a vicious scumbag at 17

The media keep stressing 'boy', 'teenager' and 'child' when reporting this story.
    I did not realise there was a scumbag backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The media keep stressing 'boy', 'teenager' and 'child' when reporting this story.

Young Woods was a very capable and effective thug by the time of his demise. I am deeply sorry that he was killed, but there is such a thing as looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

easypazz wrote: »

Unfortunately that won't stop it as Gardai, solicitors, government officials etc are taking the snachta themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There was always going to be. This is ireland, the only time propper gruesome murders usually happen or shootings is gang on gang violence, every innocent oerson shot in recent times has been a case of mistaken identity. Its a sad time when I heard a body was chopped up and straight away went to ‘he must have owed a lot of money or it was a revenge killing’

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

Because the media know that if they report that a 17 year old scumbag was killed then there will be little interest in the story. It's a shocking crime but the main crime reporters are bleeding hearts types that don't realise a lot of the young lads involved are 2nd and even 3rd generation scumbags. The crime committed is shocking but that shouldn't detract from the fact that this young lad was a scrote and won't be missed by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

There's a lot to digest here.

I agree that the idea of killing a 17 year old criminal is not objectively less horrific than killing a 30 year old criminal and vice versa. Equally threatening an elderly woman and killing a cat doesn't speak well for him. The age of criminal responsibility in this country is twelve, so he's hardly innocent.

But "live by the sword, die by the sword" isn't the way most people want this country to be governed. This kind of brutal gang culture is a threat to all of us, first the innocent people who live in close proximity to the gangs and then anyone else who gets in their way. Think also about the families of those involved who didn't exactly choose for their brother or cousin to get involved in crime, but who end up as collateral damage.

And chopping up someone and dropping their body parts around Dublin is grotesque (for whoever finds it) and utterly lawless. This can't be allowed to go on, even if the victim is a cat killer.

I see a lot of posters here arguing for zero tolerance approach to organised crime. Being tough on crime part of the answer, but the investigative power of the Gardaí are limited by resources, the willingness of the community to engage with them and ability of the courts and prison system to handle all of the defendants. The way I see it, we need to approach this holistically:

1) Tougher sentences for organised crime and more investigative resources for Gardaí
    2) Getting tough on banks and financial institutions who handle the proceeds of crime, and pushing for stronger anti-money laundering provisions at an EU level (particularly for property transactions)
    3) Legalising the sale and supply of most recreational drugs to adults, thereby regulating and taxing recreational drugs similar to alcohol and tobacco. This would kill most of the market for recreational drugs.
    4) Reform of the education system in order to divert young people from crime into skilled jobs. Consider internships and work placements as an alternative to the leaving cert.

I know people are going to jump on me for talking about legalising drugs:

Personally, I have never taken or been interested in taking drugs. But the open consumption of cocaine and office Christmas parties around Dublin last month has taught me one thing - enough "upstanding citizens" in this country want drugs to create a market for it, and we can either allow them to buy it legally or have them buy it from armed thugs. These middle class professionals are fully aware of the health impacts of drugs, the social impact of drugs and what it leads to (everyone has watched or at least heard of Narcos) but they do it anyway. And I know it's a cliche, but most college students smoke weed (and not just in Amsterdam). Drugs are here to stay, but gang crime is optional.

What kind of family did he come from?? Media are stating a loving, working class family but surely something is amiss if this young lad was so deeply involved in crime???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What kind of family did he come from?? Media are stating a loving, working class family but surely something is amiss if this young lad was so deeply involved in crime???

His godfather is the leader of one of the gangs and there are a lot of comments online saying his relatives were as deeply caught up in the gang as he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

The parents picked a traveller drug dealer as his godfather. He wasn't from a loving, working class family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Working class family is actually hilarious. The post on social media from one of his family calling him the best scrambler rider in Drogheda tells you all you need to know really.

Breakerz wrote: »
    The parents picked a traveller drug dealer as his godfather. He wasn't from a loving, working class family.

Funny how the media spin it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Just because he’s a toerag doesn’t make it ok to chop him up and drop his body parts around the city.

Just because he’s a toerag doesn’t make it ok to chop him up and drop his body parts around the city.
    True. But equally just because his death was wrong does not mean we all have to jump on the bandwagon weeping and crying and asking what is wrong with our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Whats wrong with at least that part of the country is people like him. The manner of his murder is horrific and shocking but as those dreary bastards Radiohead once said "you do it to yourself".

Advertisement