Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards PW Draft 2020 - Discussion (and Sign Up) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'll try and get my votes in later. Anyone else finding Boards is operating at a snail's pace? Taking me about 10 seconds at least to load a page. Quite frustrating.

Yeah Boards is painful the last few days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

7 players (including myself) have now voted, thank you to:

brianregan
    JP Liz
    Brad Maddox
    daithi1989
    Mr.Nice Guy
    Benjamin Millions Speech

For their votes so far, it's been fun watching them come in :D

Still another 31.5 hrs to get those votes in folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hopefully we'll have at least 10 submitted by the deadline.

I mentioned this in last year's thread that seeing as we can't count vote for ourselves in the Draft, if people are receiving votes but not casting any, then it can act as a disadvantage to the players that have cast votes:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109908283&postcount=782

It's a bit like giving someone a present and not getting one back. You've found yourself at a disadvantage.

Might it therefore be a good idea to incentivise voting by giving 50 or 100 points off the bat to those that cast votes?

Yeah I'll probably tag them on for the Overall again like last year. I'd say we will have another 3 maybe 4 voters anyways which would be more proportionally than last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'll be voting tomorrow anyway, was hoping to get one last chance to look for some slammy picks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Same as, giving shows a re-read and will submit votes in the AM

• Registered Users Posts: 38,449 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I only voted for best superstar

I dont have the head for reading and trying to remember everything. With the current website issues its hard too

best of luck to everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I sat down last night to try and read through the shows but boards was loading SOOOOO slowly, so I've had to push it back a bit till tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Votes in.

Tried to get 3 names in for as many slammies as possible but those and the order of my main 3 categories could probably have changed a hundred time over if I had the time to go through them again and again. Looking forward to seeing the winners now. Cheers again Necro

Thanks BH.

Just inputting your votes and the overall category is very very close. 9 points separating 5th and 1st place close.
    Still 5 hrs to get your votes in!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Votes in for the mains, though I'm going to leave the Slammies.

The thing that I found most interesting was that when I wrote up my list of my top 7 rosters, and then my top 7 write ups, I think there was only 1 person made both of my lists. Guess I look for different things in both. So, my "overall" votes were a bit all over the place, but the individual who made both was the easy name for my first place :P

Thanks Lord, that takes our tally to 11 sets of votes received. Given we only have 16 players I'm very happy with that total so far, and I'm still expecting at least one more lot of votes which would give us a 75% success rate for completion which is MASSIVELY up on last year

That is also reflected in the write-ups, which means the new structure worked or at least seems to have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »
    Thanks Lord, that takes our tally to 11 sets of votes received. Given we only have 16 players I'm very happy with that total so far, and I'm still expecting at least one more lot of votes which would give us a 75% success rate for completion which is MASSIVELY up on last year

That is also reflected in the write-ups, which means the new structure worked or at least seems to have :D

I shall have my votes in tomorrow morning.

beakerjoe wrote:
    I shall have my votes in tomorrow morning.

That's fine, I'll tally them then and run the awards about 2pm or so. (Don't want to leave it much later than that cos of a certain Hunter in Taiwan :) )

I'll have them in before 2. Cheers Necro

Still aiming for 2pm start time?

Yep, all going to plan the Slammies will kick off at 2pm today :D

Necro :
    Nice segway from the end of your fed last year to your present day roster. Nice transation to make DiBiase the top heel in the company again. Jeff Hardy was always an underrated maineventer and a great underdog, so I enjoyed how close he came to beating Ted only for Andre to thwart him.

Andre vs Brock sells itself and their initial meeting would be an obvious OMG moment. Mayweather is always someone I wanted to book, and Ziggler is the perfect foil to make him look good. Its a pit Zigglers stock has dropped in reality in recent years.

Im very curious to see where Billy and Chuck fits into the six man tag. The NAO and B and C are too completely different teams containing Billy Gunn and I imagine lots of homage to both teams during this match.

Like me, you seem to be a fan of Sean O'Haire. He and Von erich are two men who could of been much bigger had it not been for their demons. So This is an interesting match for me and sets the PPV up nicely.

The womens match would be a fine opener and the story here is well told. Glad Chelsea got the win. Sean O'Haire is built up nicely, and his watch the whole world burn heel gimmick would go down well IMO.

Billy turning on Road Dogg and siding with Chuck is a nice twist. Having Ziggler go over makes me happy, as I hate when celebs go over, making the wrestlers look like geeks and then fcuking off. Glad to see Ziggler and alligning himself with Bob.

Andre v Brock is a specitcle and an easy dram match. Brock pulling out a SSP would be epic, though woulkd he be able to do that in 2020....Id love to see it. A big draw and a fine big PPV match up.

Jeff winning against all the odds, (Andres attack and IRS interfering) is teh right call and its a nice ending when teh underdog gets the title despite everything.

A well booked PPV and plenty of stars made for the future. Whetehr its Ziggler v Hardy, Brock v Zigler, Road Dogg feuding with BandC. Well done

Hello 2D :
    After your epic turn as Conor McGregor in the Saw WW game, I had high hopes from you in this game. Having Gorilla and Jesse already has got me in good form from teh introduction. I can easily imagine Jesse moaning and groaning on a ferry.

The PPV itself would be an enjoyable one in reality, from the great opener to teh following ladder match with Pillman and Pac. Pillman winning makes me smile as Im a huge fan of the Flyin Brian.

The graveyard match would be an entertaining bout, followed by the tag match which is an easy 4 star tag match. Dunno how Id feel about an hour long Bruno v Lou match though.

Piper v Austin would be one hell of a feud, and thats a build up Id wanna see from two of teh best talkers ever.

Overall it would be a fun PPV, the addition of Jesse and Gorilla would make it special, even for Jesses Irish jokes alone. Well done

Brian Regan :
    Clever PPV name and I can imagine Vince havinga PPV like this soon. Arnie confrontimng Rocky would be a big ass moment in reallife, so this is already a clever booking skill as in reality this feud would draw big. Eddie and Kenny is a dream match from the preists POV and Im interested to see who is booked as the main event.

Sheamus bullying the luchas is a smart, yet simple move. and having Pentagon Jr at the PPV is a match Id wanna see. Good call.

Rey vs Rey is again simple booking, with a great result. bravo. Ospreay vs Ultimo Dragon, will be a great match too. Page v Taz is a feud I can get behind as I think Page is a main event player in the making. So you've booked one hell of a card and a contender for best roster.

Ospreay winning was the right call as you have to put teh young guy over, same goes for in Rey v Rey. Page also had to go over so you've booked all the right endings thus far.

I liked teh booking of Sheamus v Pentegon, esp teh reference to DB v Sheamus. Sheamus had to lose, though a lot of the popular guys havce gone over so I would mind if sheamus stole a win here, that said Pentegon is a main eventer in the making too, so happy to see him elevated.

Rock v Arnie would be a spectacular match, it would be money as well as a huge moment.and Kenny would be so good it could follow Rock v Arnie and top it Eddie winning sends the fans home happy and your PPV from top to bottom is very good indeed. Top notch work BR

• Advertisement

Lord TSC -
    Each year you assemble a great roster and each year you fail to get a PPV done. Im always disappointed....BUT NOT THIS YEAR. So happy you submitted a card as you are probably teh most creative writwer here, and thats saying something as so many are excellent. So yay, you got a card up :)

That said, after reading teh card I want more and this feels like a sampler whichg was wet my whistlle. I wanna read more.

Great roster and the graphics make it easy to imagine. After the boneyard match, Taker vs Hardy would be the biggest "cinematic match" ever if it had a big companys backing. So this is a money match.

WWE let Hardy go to soon, had they held onto him they would easily build a this match in these dark times. So this match gets a big thumbs up from me.

Foley v Braun makes me imganine Foley getting killed for 20 mins and keep coming back for more. So this match has me interested (Poor Mick). Regal is so underated so seeing him against the impressive Black would be a top bout in my eyes.

OC and Truth in a team is all sorts of comedy that i must see. Someone book it. Then add the crazy Iron Sheiky baby and Im sold....take my money. I love OC and Trusth is an underated genuis. Bravo.

the trest of teh card continues the creepy feel yet in a more serious tone. Its defo a PPV Id want to see and the card itself leaves me wanting more from you Lord. A pleasure as always.

Crabman :
    Very NJPW feel to this card in so many ways. At very least, this card will ahve some top notch in ring graps.

The first both feed the cocky ELP story, so thats logical. The 2nd bout would be very high energy and the Guns and SCU being involved means I will be entertained.

GOD vs OC is simplke and easy booking, but also very logical. The match quality would be a t a different pace to teh previous bouts and this would showcase a more hoss style match.

Kenta Kobashi vs Shiabata is money, but it might not be for the faint of heart. Whats harder than hard hitting? this match. Dream booking.

Kenta v Liger is another dream match and I cant fault the booking again. Loved how strong you put over Kenta as a seriously brutal bastard.

Kurt going over Suzuki makes sense if Kurt is to fight Okada next. The match felt simiular to Angle HBK of WM21.

jericho v Okada would be a top main event, esp if both were in their prime and Okada eventually being booked against Kenta is were its at. Both have great wrestling minds and can tell a story worthy of a top main event.

A great roster puttimng on one hell of a PPV. Defo a PPV i would be despartate to see.

Sorry I cant get more feedback up.

Votes in, and boy was it tough. So many to choose from in the slammies. Found it very tough to leave some out.

The 3 main cats were just as tough, in terms of picking an order. But I have an out and out winner selected, who in my opinion deserves to win all 3 prizes.

Congrats to all who took part and teh feedback has been very humbling, thank you.

Looking forward to the reveal later.

Slammies Thread is now live.

I'll be with y'all shortly once I've totted and double checked the vote submissions. No later than 2.30pm.

Gonna open a sign up thread for the next draft on 1st Jan 2021 folks.

And we shall see how it goes.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to structure it this year, any changes needed etc then I'm all ears.

Haven't really followed any pro wrestling since Mania if I'm honest, but hoping the Rumble can reel me back in at the very least

Im not gonna fight it or sepculate.

Consider me ticked in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’ve been ever present the last 6-7 years. I’m going to count myself out.

In a real wrestling lull at the minute and my heart isn’t in it.

.....that said, if somebody comes up with a Fresh approach I might stick my oar in.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I’ve been ever present the last 6-7 years. I’m going to count myself out.

In a real wrestling lull at the minute and my heart isn’t in it.

.....that said, if somebody comes up with a Fresh approach I might stick my oar in.

Watch AEW. It will give you hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It's the most wonderful time of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not sure if we're getting up and running but I was thinking.

Does anyone have any ideas to freshen things up. I was thinking that maybe we could do a LIVE Draftthis year. On Zoom or something. Pick three weeks of friday nights or something?

Do three rounds a week. Possibly make it entirely about THE DRAFT.

Advertisement