Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a monolink saddle on a Rose bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm gonna say there's little you can do. From the look of the seatpost it would foul the rails of a standard saddle. Either find a monorail saddle or replace both saddle and seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

There's a few saddles on ebay
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=selle+italia+monolink&_sacat=0

There's an adaptor on bike24 that seems correct. It has a different part number stamped on it but diameter is the same and it looks identical to the selle one. Thread on weight weenies says it works.

Probably still handiest to just replace the seat post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Unfortunately when you go through with that link its not available

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a standard seatpost your bike takes?

• Advertisement

Don't think so, its a "Rose Monolink Full Carbon Aero" and a plan view of it is a bit like a map marker. Closest image is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selle-Italia-Monolink-Seatpost-31-6-x-350-mm-/352867118144

I'm not even sure if current Rose seatposts are compatible.

Best option may be Ryath's adapter suggestion, a friend is offering a Giant saddle if I can fit it

Has anyone ever used superglue or another bonding agent successfully in this situation, see attached image ?

And before the dangers of doing so are exhumed let me just mention that with the broken stay put back under the saddle it is quite stable. It doesn't wobble around under you, did a turbo session yesterday and there wasn't any noticeable saddle movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Unfortunately when you go through with that link its not available

Ah, sorry.

Suprised rose don't sell any. I have one on my own rose bike too, but no replacement needed atm. Will follow this thread in case solution is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Has anyone ever used superglue or another bonding agent successfully in this situation, see attached image ?

And before the dangers of doing so are exhumed let me just mention that with the broken stay put back under the saddle it is quite stable. It doesn't wobble around under you, did a turbo session yesterday and there wasn't any noticeable saddle movement.

Epoxy resin should hold it tightly in place and will be much stronger than superglue. Make sure to key the surface with a very rough sandpaper (50 or less) before using the resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I still have this available if its suitable

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109035848

• Advertisement

Saddle looks right, not sure about seat post. It looks round, is it ?

And what part of the country are you based in ?

Epoxy resin should hold it tightly in place and will be much stronger than superglue. Make sure to key the surface with a very rough sandpaper (50 or less) before using the resin.

Was wondering where I would pick up epoxy and then remembered I work in a factory ! They were throwing the attached out due to it being out of date. Should do the job, guy recommended hairdryer to help bonding. Not possible in this case as it will be in sleeve but told it should still bond, will just take longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Yeah seatpost is round 31.6mm diameter. Saddle is exactly the same as in cyclingweekely pic.

Im around S Wicklow / Wexford direction but can post at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the putty style epoxy?

its red and has the same viscosity as grease or strawberry sirop which you put on ice cream.

You tell me ?

reason i ask is that usually epoxy is a two stage material - generally two liquids, and until they mix, they don't harden.
    you can also get a tube of it in a putty, where the two stages are different colours, and you knead them together and it'll start to harden 10 minutes or so later.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been given something not quite right from the floor. Its

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/product/electrically-non-conductive-adhesives/loctite_3627.html

What do you think from the description ?

ah, it's a heat cured epoxy - but the datasheet says it needs 100C to cure - if that's the case, a hairdryer may not be useful.
    TYPICAL CURING PERFORMANCE
    Recommended conditions for curing are exposure to heat above 100°C (typically 90-120 seconds @150°;C). Rate of cure and final strength will depend on the residence time at the cure temperature.

your best bet might be buying an injector style one, they're not madly expensive:
    https://www.woodies.ie/gorilla-25ml-epoxy-1148471

the plunger squirts out the two liquids, and you mix them and apply.

your best bet might be buying an injector style one, they're not madly expensive:
    https://www.woodies.ie/gorilla-25ml-epoxy-1148471

the plunger squirts out the two liquids, and you mix them and apply.

Thanks for link. Have the Gorilla super glue and should be able to pick up the epoxy somewhere local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

At the risk of stating the obvious, beware of the resulting position of the saddle after gluing it. Even a slight tilt on one side could cause issues over time if you are unlucky.

One of the (titanium) rails on my saddle got slightly bent in a crash during a race, it was subtle enough that I didn't notice it immediately afterwards. I started having a niggling problem with my back some time afterwards, I noticed the damaged rail when reviewing my position on the bike. I replaced the saddle and the problem went away with it. I can't say for sure that the saddle was the cause but it made me very wary of even slight anomalies with saddles since then.

Got on to Rose

"I realise it is 5 years on but the exact same just happened with the replacement saddle you sent me. I'm not finding this saddle online, in fact I don't see any monorail saddles these days.

Can you help me source a saddle at a reasonable price ?

Or is there an adapter I can put in the saddle post which will allow me use a standard 2 rail saddle ?

The bike is still going really well 7 years on BTW, I've often looked to upgrade but bikes are heavier these days and the xeon cw still runs as good as new"

and they came back with

"Payment method: Prepayment/Bank transfer

Qty. Item no. Product description Unit price Amount
    1 2060167 Selle Italia - Sattel SLS Kit Carbonio Monolink - matt black/matt green centre stripe
    81,66 EUR 81,66 EUR
    1 2060167 Discount: 50,00% matt black/matt green centre stripe
    -40,83 EUR -40,83 EUR
    1 Shipping costs
    9,95 EUR 9,95 EUR
    Net value of goods 41,28 EUR
    VAT corresponds to (23%) 9,50 EUR
    Total amount 50,78 EUR"

Have to say they have been very good whenever I've had queries in the 7 years I've owned the bike.

I've ordered an adapter from bike24 though and will see first how that goes. Reckon going forward I need to be able to fit standard saddles on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Always a great response from Rose on the aftersales service side of things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

indeed, bottom bracket on my rose carbon expanded to the point that a brand new BB was moving in the frame. 5 year olds, got a brand new frame, and they moved all my gear over, jsut had to pay for a new set of wheels (at discount) and a new DI2 battery as my old bike was external, new one was internal.

given i got the bike on 50% end of season discount in the first place that was superb customer service. can't say anything negative about rose

Ryath wrote: »
    There's a few saddles on ebay
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=selle+italia+monolink&_sacat=0

There's an adaptor on bike24 that seems correct. It has a different part number stamped on it but diameter is the same and it looks identical to the selle one. Thread on weight weenies says it works.

Probably still handiest to just replace the seat post.

This adapter came from bike24 but after looking at it I cannot see how it could ever fit. The saddle post holders at the top are circular and completely closed (one piece). The adapters fit in it and you can see where a 2 rail saddle is held but there is no way of clamping them.

Presume I am not missing something obvious, from blurb on site you would definitely think they would work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just see I put in wrong link for weight weenie's thread
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147900

Hope I haven't had you waste your money on the adapter. Looks like you use them to replace top part of existing clamp and use the bottom one to tighten?

41e9d5179c3726046d1017e06fb10ad0.jpg

e753e23ce9a2bc5e6f4cd8f03a3ad46c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

My Rose bike came with that exact type of Sella monolink saddle, albeit with a different type of seatpost (Easton). I broke 2 saddles in quick succession, so in the end I just got a 'normal' saddle with 2 rails and had to get a different adaptor for the top of the seatpost.

Actually going to 2:20 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309QVV_O86M

shows how it might work but there didn't seem to be much extra room in my setup. Will try this later

System works alright and looks as if it would be quite secure. Friend offered a saddle which is what is shown however don't think I will take him up on it. Saddle weighs 345g with original been 177g

As an aside was always wondering why older rose bikes (canyon too) were so light compared to modern bikes. Guess things like this all add up. The rose xenon cw is 2013 and part of me would like something new but when I look at modern mid range bikes they are several hundred grammes bit heavier

• Advertisement
Advertisement