Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company charging card per item not total value

Options
  • 16-01-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭

I buy from an Irish online company and when I check my debit card account after, if I buy 2 or 3 items in the one transaction, they charge my card separately per each item plus separate also for postage.
    So for one delivery, there could be 4 debits to my account.
    My issue is that I am charged by my bank for each separate debit so I don't think it's fair.
    I contacted the company and they just said that's how they do things and they'd record my complaint.
    Does this happen in many companies and is it acceptable?

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not common and I'd consider it abnormal in nearly every circumstance; l but if its explained in their T&Cs there's nothing actually wrong with it. Very common now on eBay to be charged in two transactions for the item(s) and postage also for instance.

This sort of stuff is where a credit card is useful, as you aren't charged fees per transaction for SEPA area transactions on nearly all cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

L1011 wrote: »
    Its not common and I'd consider it abnormal in nearly every circumstance; l but if its explained in their T&Cs there's nothing actually wrong with it. Very common now on eBay to be charged in two transactions for the item(s) and postage also for instance.

This sort of stuff is where a credit card is useful, as you aren't charged fees per transaction for SEPA area transactions on nearly all cards.

I didn't know that about a credit card.
    How would it be recognised as the same company though if the transactions come in singly?
    Interested in reading their ts&cs now.

I didn't know that about a credit card.
    How would it be recognised as the same company though if the transactions come in singly?
    Interested in reading their ts&cs now.

Its not that the credit card operator would charge once for it; its just that transaction fees are basically unheard of. They expect to make their money off interest but if you pay the card in time, there is none.

I'm not even sure there'd be any issue if it wasn't in the T&Cs really come to think of it. Its an annoyance more than anything else, its not like they're scamming you by doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,787 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't really get it, when you place an order you get a total of X, it doesn't matter what way they decide to make the shipment they are still only allowed take X which you have agreed to pay them.

Thank you, I just checked and its actually in their ts&cs.
    I never thought of looking there, thanks.
    I have a credit card so in future I'll pay that way and like you say just transfer the money over from my current account to cover it, it'll be the same thing.
    I just can't see the need or benefits for a company to do it and I'm not being stingy over it but I think it's a matter of principle.
    Thank you!

• Advertisement

I don't really get it, when you place an order you get a total of X, it doesn't matter what way they decide to make the shipment they are still only allowed take X which you have agreed to pay them.

It's all the one order, one shipment, all arrive together in one parcel but for example they charged me separately for a coat, a chain and the shipping from my debit card even though they were all in the one 'basket' on the site and I authorised the full amount.
    They're not taking more money from me, it's just how they take it individually is odd imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thats whats happening but they break it down as a price per item and a postage charge. So for example if he buys 5 items for 100 euro it appears on his card as 5 separately charged items totaling 95 euro and another charge of 5 euro for postage.

Thats whats happening but they break it down as a price per item and a postage charge. So for example if he buys 5 items for 100 euro it appears on his card as 5 separately charged items totaling 95 euro and another charge of 5 euro for postage.

That's exactly what happens, except I'm a she :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L1011 wrote:

Am I right in thinking that Amazon charge on dispatch so they could make several changes if there are several dispatch days. Postage is free or they only charge for one postage AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Amazon charge you for postage up front. If they split up an order and send it out in multiple shipments, you don't get charged extra postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This can cause issues with people using debit card, since thier card issuer might have transaction fees..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

seagull wrote: »
    Amazon charge you for postage up front. If they split up an order and send it out in multiple shipments, you don't get charged extra postage.

But you can get multiple card charges for several items even though there is only one postage fee. I think OP is concerned about several charges to his/her card account.

^ yes this was my query.
    I bought 2 items last week and on my bank transactions appears €50 (coat) €10 (jewellery) €5 (postage).
    Instead of one €65 debit.
    So effectively I'm going to be charged 3 fees by my bank, not one.
    But as the moderator here said, it could be in their terms, and when I looked it is.
    Interestingly, I looked a the terms in more detail and if I use a credit card with them, the company itself charges a 1.5% fee do I'm going to pay extra either way.

^ yes this was my query.
    I bought 2 items last week and on my bank transactions appears €50 (coat) €10 (jewellery) €5 (postage).
    Instead of one €65 debit.
    So effectively I'm going to be charged 3 fees by my bank, not one.
    But as the moderator here said, it could be in their terms, and when I looked it is.
    Interestingly, I looked a the terms in more detail and if I use a credit card with them, the company itself charges a 1.5% fee do I'm going to pay extra either way.

Credit card surcharges have been illegal for just over two years, EU-wide. This company seems to do business in a very strange and outdated way.

L1011 wrote: »
    Credit card surcharges have been illegal for just over two years, EU-wide. This company seems to do business in a very strange and outdated way.

It's a business that also offers credit with a massive Apr but obviously I want to avoid that at all costs but it seems punitive to buy and pay upfront also.

It's a business that also offers credit with a massive Apr but obviously I want to avoid that at all costs but it seems punitive to buy and pay upfront also.

Offering credit doesn't make charging to use a credit card legit. It was banned January 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You could get something like a revolut account.
    You could transfer enough money from your current account to your revolut, then pay the website on The revolut card instead of your debit card.

L1011, when you have a chance sometime can you send me that link to that legislation please.
    They say the 1.5% is a '"handling charge' if you pay by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Heebie wrote: »
    You could get something like a revolut account.
    You could transfer enough money from your current account to your revolut, then pay the website on The revolut card instead of your debit card.

You have 2 issues, the main one being the company charging individually and very possibly dodgy CC surcharging

The other issue is your bank, charging you each time you spend your money! That’s atrocious and you should definitely change bank. Plenty of banks (and fintech) alternatives out there which will definitely save you money. Much more cost effective than getting a credit card just for this

You have 2 issues, the main one being the company charging individually and very possibly dodgy CC surcharging

The other issue is your bank, charging you each time you spend your money! That’s atrocious and you should definitely change bank. Plenty of banks (and fintech) alternatives out there which will definitely save you money. Much more cost effective than getting a credit card just for this

I have a credit card but I don't use it, only if I can pay it off straight away.
    I assumed all banks charged fees per transaction.
    I was with PTSB years ago and I had free banking with them but I had to leave them was because 2 branches within my area closed and I needed to be able to lodge cheques at the time.

• Advertisement

PSD2 is incredibly difficult to dig the individual bits out out, legislation wise

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/credit-card-surcharges-banned.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have a credit card but I don't use it, only if I can pay it off straight away.

You don't need to pay a credit card off straight away. The best way is to setup the direct debit from your current account to take the full amount each billing cycle, this way you get upto 56 days interest free. If you don't pay off the full amount CCs are expensive, if you pay off the full amount they are the cheapest money you can get with the best protection as you have spent the banks money not yours.
    I assumed all banks charged fees per transaction.
    I was with PTSB years ago and I had free banking with them but I had to leave them was because 2 branches within my area closed and I needed to be able to lodge cheques at the time.

No only a few do. If you don't need to lodge cheques then move bank

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Is the business selling and shipping the 3 items or is it a marketplace where 3 different companies are sending the 3 items separate?

Advertisement