Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's not a chance that Daly tops the poll... Facebook famous doesn't always transfer to votes... he'll get in, but I suspect a dogfight with Brassil

Nothing to do with fame or lack thereof. It will be a zeitgeist Sinn Féin vote rather than a personal Pa Daly vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

I don't think he tops it, but I think he'll get in comfortably enough.

Did anyone read the story about the woman dressed up as celery to go in with Danny to vote - some sort of vegan protest. Even more of signal that investment is needed in our mental health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Radio Kerry reporting a turnout of 22% at 1 p.m. countywide - 30% in Cahirsiveen and 25% in Tralee, and described as "on a par" with previous elections.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    I don't think he tops it, but I think he'll get in comfortably enough.

Did anyone read the story about the woman dressed up as celery to go in with Danny to vote - some sort of vegan protest. Even more of signal that investment is needed in our mental health service.

Yep, the amount of people who think there's absolutely no issue with the quantity of meat we eat are in need of urgent intervention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Radio Kerry reporting a turnout of 22% at 1 p.m. countywide - 30% in Cahirsiveen and 25% in Tralee, and described as "on a par" with previous elections.

Yes, but not really. Unlike previous elections this is not a working day so there won't be an "evening rush" of people on the way home from work etc. As darkness falls and the wind and rain keeps up most polling booths in rural areas might be very, very quiet places indeed come 7 or 8 o'clock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Quackster wrote: »
    Nothing to do with fame or lack thereof. It will be a zeitgeist Sinn Féin vote rather than a personal Pa Daly vote.

The very idea of running Pa in Kerry is to get away from that mindset...
    They'll lose quite a few votes from traditional flag wavers.....
    but the idea is to tie into the massive left vote that has been left in limbo because of the Spring and labour decline in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good turnout in my station. 40%.

The very idea of running Pa in Kerry is to get away from that mindset...
    They'll lose quite a few votes from traditional flag wavers.....
    but the idea is to tie into the massive left vote that has been left in limbo because of the Spring and labour decline in Kerry

Recent polling has indicated a SF surge of some size or another across the country and the size of the vote for Pa Daly will largely be a consequence of that as he is not very well known, at least outside of Tralee. Granted, in Tralee itself, there will be some proportion of a personal vote. And the floating Spring vote, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

How many polling stations in Tralee town? Are each of the schools a station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Adiboo wrote: »

Scoil Mhic Easmainn, for instance, has six polling stations, as it covers much of Oakpark, Balloonagh and Holy Family also have a few.

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »

Not all, no..moyderwell ns isn't one

Latest from Newstalk
    Danny on 16%, uutnumbered MHR 8-1 in Gneeveguilla
    MHR topping at 21% so far
    Pa Daly on 18%
    Brendan Griffin on 12%
    Brassil has said he thinks hes going to lose his seat on 7%
    Foley on 8%
    Cleo Murphy on 5%

69 open 192 remaining

140 open now - 121 remaining
    MHR 21%
    Pa Daly 20%
    DHR 13%
    Brendan Griffin 13%
    Norma Foley 9%
    John Brassil 7%
    Mike Kennelly 6%
    Cleo Murphy 5%

Just shy of 70% of the boxes open, north kerry boxes not opened yet. Brassil will make up ground with this, but has some distance to go.

MHR 11120 21%
    Pa Daly 10935 21%
    Brendan Griffin 6771 13%
    DHR 6270 12%
    Norma Foley 4895 9%
    John Brassil 3597 7%
    Mike Kennelly 2854 5%
    Cleo Murphy 2752 5%
    Norma Moriarty 2582 5%
    Sonny Foran 634 1%
    John Bowler 286 1%
    Ted Cronin 259 0%
    Sean O'Leary 22 0%

As of 1pm from Radio Kerry

Final tally. I think the quota is 17% but I could be wrong on that.

MHR 22%

Pa Daly 20%

Brendan Griffin 14%

DHR 11%

Norma Foley 9%

John Brassil 7%

Mike Kennelly 5%

Cleo Murphy 5%

Norma Moriarty 5%

Sonny Foran 1%

Ted Cronin 0%

John Bowler 0%

Sean O'Leary 0%

Fist count due after 7 tonight, should clear things up.
    EQVuGBFWsAE-wLO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Not much to clear up... MHR and Daly in on the first count... DHR a count later followed by Griffin and finally Foley...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some performance so far by Sinn Fein, be interesting to see how seats they finish up with overall

Martin Ferris got 9,458 votes in the first count last time out and it was only on the 11th count that he got elected,

Pa Daly is going to breeze in in the first count with MHR

John Brassil has lost out which isnt a surprise really from talking to a good few people from his own village they werent happy with him over a few issues , if your own arent happy then your facing a battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

John Brassil has lost out which isnt a surprise really from talking to a good few people from his own village they werent happy with him over a few issues , if your own arent happy then your facing a battle

He was not a happy camper down at the count center yesterday. Him and his team were fairly pissed off that the party ran another candidate so close to his area. He reportedly refused to speak to RTE claiming he was "too upset".

• Advertisement

Doing a bit of canvassing in West Cork for the Soc Dems.

So telling people to vote for a candidate and party I can't vote for!!

By contrast to the "as you were" in Kerry, a sensation in Cork SW.

It's not just a victory for Holly Cairns nor even the Social Democrats. It's not just a fantastic day for the "women of Cork" or "environmentalists" or all those other terms that were applied to describe what she stands for...and they were not always complimentary. It's a breakthrough for progressive, liberal, transparent and compassionate politics in rural Ireland.

There is so much we in Kerry and every other constituency can take from this, it gives us all hope that politics is changing for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

By contrast to the "as you were" in Kerry, a sensation in Cork SW.

It's not just a victory for Holly Cairns nor even the Social Democrats. It's not just a fantastic day for the "women of Cork" or "environmentalists" or all those other terms that were applied to describe what she stands for...and they were not always complimentary. It's a breakthrough for progressive, liberal, transparent and compassionate politics in rural Ireland.

There is so much we in Kerry and every other constituency can take from this, it gives us all hope that politics is changing for the better.

I wonder is it the first time 2 people together to get 2 seats in the same area, especially given they got 2 our of 3 seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

oeb wrote: »
    He was not a happy camper down at the count center yesterday. Him and his team were fairly pissed off that the party ran another candidate so close to his area. He reportedly refused to speak to RTE claiming he was "too upset".

This was going to be interesting to see how Norma Foley and John Brassil did when it came to the distribution of Norma Moriarty's votes

20200210154114_151071.png

This was going to be interesting to see how Norma Foley and John Brassil did when it came to the distribution of Norma Moriarty's votes

The fact that FG got 50% more transfers from Norma M's vote says it all. Kennelly will give enough transfers to get him over the line, and I don't expect too many votes to travel over to Ballyheigue on that.

All over....tbf, it was exactly as the tally's predicted, Norma Foley gets the 5th and final seat .....
    now the real fun begins!

All over....tbf, it was exactly as the tally's predicted, Norma Foley gets the 5th and final seat .....
    now the real fun begins!

I wouldn't be surprised if we are back here again before the end of the year

uchimata83 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we are back here again before the end of the year

Paddy Power have it at 5/2....I'd say shorter odds to come.

Well worth a punt. It looks like the last 7 seats will be 2 x FG, 4 x FG and 1 green and it's difficult to see a gov made up from that without another confidence and supply fiasco between FF and FG. If that's correct it will be 35 FG 38 FF 37 SF, and I suspect SF are already thinking that they didn't run enough candidates.

Fair play to Pa Daly, I didn't give him a hope at the beginning but they ran a superb campaign. I'm still surprised that the SF numbers backed up the polls taken the week before. The real work for SF starts now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

The sickening thing if you like a flutter, 9am Saturday it was 8/1

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    The sickening thing if you like a flutter, 9am Saturday it was 8/1

I'd still consider it rather unlikely, considering it's in neither FF's nor FG's interests.

Advertisement