Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020 Cork East

• 17-01-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭

Here are the names of the candidates so far:
    • Deputy David Stanton (Fine Gael),
    • Pa O’Driscoll (Fine Gael),
    • Deputy Kevin O’Keeffe (Fianna Fáil),
    • Cllr. James O’Connor (Fianna Fáil),
    • Deputy Pat Buckley (Sinn Féin),
    • Deputy Sean Sherlock (Labour Party),
    • Cllr. Liam Quaide (Green Party),
    • Cllr. Mary Linehan-Foley (Independent)

Will the 4 sitting TDs hold on to their seats and if not who's going to be in and out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sherlock, who runs a very good constituency office, survived the Labour massacre last time so he should be fine as will the FG Stantn and F.F. Kevin O Keefe. Buckley of S.F. ( low profile) could lose out to O Connor of F.F.

2 F.F. 1 Lab I F.G.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Unusually there does not seem any election posters up - I've only noticed one election leaflet and that was as a piece of litter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That's a depressing lot (though same could be said nationwide). Wish there was a Soc-Dem candidate there to offer an alternative to the "big 3". My vote might be heading to the Green Party... but will have to think about #2 preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Was leaning Green this time until Ryan said he wanted to kill the Cork Limerick motorway.

Rather uninspiring choice on that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's David Stanton posters up around Midleton and Cloyne alright. The thinking is he's safe enough, he has his "own" ferociously loyal crowd down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nominated candidates being added here https://corkcountyreturningofficer.com/index.php/general-election-2020/33-nominations-cork-east

who is this guy Sean O'leary who has nominated himself in about 7 different constituencies in Dublin and Cork so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the list of candidates is grim reading. I'm definitely looking for a "least worst" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kevin O'Keeffe is 1/7 to get re-elected. Thats depressing, he is completely inept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

sozbox wrote: »
    Was leaning Green this time until Ryan said he wanted to kill the Cork Limerick motorway.

Rather uninspiring choice on that list
    Green is fine when there is a Luas outside your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'll echo others sentiments, not an inspiring bunch to choose from. FF/FG/SF are out, Greens are anti-m20, theres no SocDems. Sherlock isn't inspiring, but do need to look at that further.

• Advertisement

While the Greens being against the m20 is not enough to make me vote for them, nice to know they have on occassion a good policy.

it's looking like a comfortable win for SF, followed by 2 FF (O Keeffe and O'Connor), then Lab (Sherlock). Greens not at the races at all.

early days of course...

deRanged wrote: »
    it's looking like a comfortable win for SF, followed by 2 FF (O Keeffe and O'Connor), then Lab (Sherlock). Greens not at the races at all.

early days of course...

David Stanton took the seat from O’Keeffe on the 8th count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People are delighted that Kevin is gone. Even the Fianna Fail voters that I know.

People are delighted that Kevin is gone. Even the Fianna Fail voters that I know.
    That indeed has been said about Mr. O’Keeffe during this election cycle by people I know, although TBF he was the only one to call at my house so at least he made the canvasing effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Manach wrote: »
    That indeed has been said about Mr. O’Keeffe during this election cycle by people I know, although TBF he was the only one to call at my house so at least he made the canvasing effort.

He made a great effort to call around to be fair to him.
    He was around a lot in the last few weeks.

Advertisement