Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing on Bandon Rd

Options
  • 17-01-2020 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

Apparently a man in his early 20’s died this evening after being stabbed in the neck, having refused someone entry to a house party on Bandon Rd, near the Gallows bar.

The whole road is closed off and Gardaí are on the scene still.
    There has been a serious escalation in violence in the city the last few months, and while I don’t personally feel scared to walk anywhere on my own, the frequency and the brutality of these senseless crimes is getting extremely worrying.

RIP to the poor young man, I hope they find who is responsible for his death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

News article confirming the story here:

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1107956/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Apparently a man in his early 20’s died this evening after being stabbed in the neck, having refused someone entry to a house party on Bandon Rd, near the Gallows bar.

The whole road is closed off and Gardaí are on the scene still.
    There has been a serious escalation in violence in the city the last few months, and while I don’t personally feel scared to walk anywhere on my own, the frequency and the brutality of these senseless crimes is getting extremely worrying.

RIP to the poor young man, I hope they find who is responsible for his death.

Town is gone,no way back FG/ gardai can't/ won't / didn't do anything to prooer police Cork ,it's a no go area for anyone over 50 years of age ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to have been fatal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Was on the Bandon Road tonight around 9.30. Lots of students in good spirits about as usual for a thursday night. Very sad. Poor fella. I'd say someone will be caught for this very quickly. House party, loads of witnesses. If it was an altercation that went on for a bit theres probably phone footage.

Heckler wrote: »
    Was on the Bandon Road tonight around 9.30. Lots of students in good spirits about as usual for a thursday night. Very sad. Poor fella. I'd say someone will be caught for this very quickly. House party, loads of witnesses. If it was an altercation that went on for a bit theres probably phone footage.

I’ve already been sent a picture of the alleged perpetrator from 3 different people, so his name and face are known. If he hasn’t already been caught I’d say he will be very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I’ve already been sent a picture of the alleged perpetrator from 3 different people, so his name and face are known. If he hasn’t already been caught I’d say he will be very soon.

Good to hear. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Town is gone,no way back FG/ gardai can't/ won't / didn't do anything to prooer police Cork ,it's a no go area for anyone over 50 years of age ATM

Really? Dunno if you've been in town recently but there's lots of people walking around who're over 50 and, from the look of them, they generally seem to not have been assaulted recently.

I can't even imagine the logic of these little scumbags. "he won't let me in so I'll kill him?" Honestly seems recently that here and in Dublin, scumbags are trying to emulate London roadman culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I hope people stop sharing that picture, in case there's any risk of ruining a prosecution. Plenty of time for that after.

This is very close to home, don't know what to say but offer condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is nonsense.

Probably some in bred from nearby Baghdad Heights area (the local drugs supermarket).
    RIP to the victim, an needless tragedy over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Standard stuff scumbags came into house party. Asked to leave there was a fight.knife pulled

All over nothing, shocking value of life some people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Augeo wrote: »
    Probably some in bred from nearby Baghdad Heights area (the local drugs supermarket).
    RIP to the victim, an needless tragedy over nothing.

Probably some sort of scum anyway. We've all gotten in rows as youngfellas, I never saw a knife pulled in my life. Who in their right mind would STAB someone??

Time to seriously consider cutting child benefit for the scum classes. Kids can't be a lifestyle choice - with no one around to raise them after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Victim was a 20 year old engineering student from CIT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nonsense. Woman and I go into the centre regularly for a good meal and a few scoops, rarely see anything but happy revellers.

thefloss wrote: »
    Probably some sort of scum anyway. We've all gotten in rows as youngfellas, I never saw a knife pulled in my life. Who in their right mind would STAB someone?? .....

Around Bandon Rd can be a bit unsavoury without having to scratch the surface too much. Noonans road is a known drug pick up spot. Dealers operate there on a daily basis selling more or less everything.

They have it down to a fine art, after a child got pricked from a needle in 2012/2013 there was a bit of an outcry and AGS raided 3 or 4 flats in the area. They had child welfare folk with them (social protection or whatever they are called) as they fully expected to find loads. They found SFA but that was down to the dealers having a decent set-up for want of a better phrase.

You also still have afaik an effective drugs retail outlet operating from a premises on Barrack Street.

Any area with that going on will have lads wandering about with knives. A buddies nephew used to rob dealers and buyers in the area a few years back, he considered it easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's bad but it's not Mogadishu.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Absolutely horrific. Been on my mind all morning. Sick at the thought of the fact that this fella probably bought a bag of cans in galvins at 7.30 and didnt even see midnight.

I really hope the person who did this rots in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Augeo wrote: »
    Around Bandon Rd can be a bit unsavoury without having to scratch the surface too much. Noonans road is a known drug pick up spot. Dealers operate there on a daily basis selling more or less everything.

They have it down to a fine art, after a child got pricked from a needle in 2012/2013 there was a bit of an outcry and AGS raided 3 or 4 flats in the area. They had child welfare folk with them (social protection or whatever they are called) as they fully expected to find loads. They found SFA but that was down to the dealers having a decent set-up for want of a better phrase.

You also still have afaik an effective drugs retail outlet operating from a premises on Barrack Street.

Any area with that going on will have lads wandering about with knives. A buddies nephew used to rob dealers and buyers in the area a few years back, he considered it easy pickings.

True enough. There's also a good few "ex-pat" Northside quare hawks living in the little houses in along on the town side from Flannery's.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cork a no go for any age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

leahyl wrote: »
    Victim was a 20 year old engineering student from CIT

Just had a call to say its the son of friends of ours, stunned. Lovely young fella and a talented rugby player big into his athletics with his whole life in front of him.

• Advertisement

It's terrible ........... students are a terrific part of the local community there's never a bother really. So, so sad that this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Just had a call to say its the son of friends of ours, stunned. Lovely young fella and a talented rugby player big into his athletics with his whole life in front of him.

Probably able to look after himself and was being the good guy trying to remove these utter scumbags. His poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm mid thirties now and I would do my best to run away or talk my way out of an argument these days. When I was growing up, you used to just throw a few slaps and you saw who would get the better of each other and that was it, the regularity now that someone will pull a knife is alarming. Many are just desensitized to serious violence.

Oh God, that's just awful :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cork a no go for any age

I just don't agree with this, yes there has been an escalation recently but writing off an entire city as a no-go for all ages is pure scaremongering at its finest.
    I'd feel safe walking pretty much anywhere in the city on my own.

I just don't agree with this, yes there has been an escalation recently but writing off an entire city as a no-go for all ages is pure scaremongering at its finest.
    I'd feel safe walking pretty much anywhere in the city on my own.

I agree, ridiculous comment. Having said that I'm not sure I'd walk anywhere in Cork city on my own (not in the dark anyway) but that's like any city - they all have their "no-go" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Horrific to hear about this. I know student life might be a bit different to when I was there 10 years ago with more class A's likely being consumed and likely rougher crowds showing up to sell but fúck me, never seen or heard of a knife being pulled at a house party. Poor young fella, heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

D'Agger wrote: »
    Horrific to hear about this. I know student life might be a bit different to when I was there 10 years ago with more class A's likely being consumed and likely rougher crowds showing up to sell but fúck me, never seen or heard of a knife being pulled at a house party. Poor young fella, heart goes out to his family and friends.

Cameron wouldn't be in the drugs scene at all, nor his friends. All big into sports and clean living. These were three scumbags turned up and were turned away, took umbridge and came back with knives.

Gardai know who they are looking for

• Advertisement

I heard from a very reliable source that of the 3 lads who were involved in the attack, one was 17, one 18 and only 14yrs old. They were not from the area and had gone to Bandon Rd/College Rd with the intention of starting fights with students.

This wasn't a case of a situation getting out of hand at the heat of the moment, the perpetrator was armed with a deadly weapon, it wasn't just a little pocket knife. He is the 18yr old so hopefully he will be named and tried as an adult.

Gardaí know exactly who was involved and the ball is already rolling in that regard.

@beer_enigma, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know of a few different people that also knew him, and have only heard positive things about the kindness he showed others, and his popularity among his friends. He didn't deserve what happened to him and I hope that those that caused his death receive the maximim penalty possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement