Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing on Bandon Rd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Just had a call to say its the son of friends of ours, stunned. Lovely young fella and a talented rugby player big into his athletics with his whole life in front of him.

Sorry to hear that. Terrible loss for them and all who knew him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah he'll probably get a nice stiff three year sentence, unfortunately.

And we'll probably get the increase in garda numbers that's immediately needed to crack down on this upswing in violent crime. In two or three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Town is gone,no way back FG/ gardai can't/ won't / didn't do anything to prooer police Cork ,it's a no go area for anyone over 50 years of age ATM
    I walk around Cork city at night never had a problem. It was a house party how were the cops supposed to know some incident was gonna happen at the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I heard from a very reliable source that of the 3 lads who were involved in the attack, one was 17, one 18 and only 14yrs old. They were not from the area and had gone to Bandon Rd/College Rd with the intention of starting fights with students.

This wasn't a case of a situation getting out of hand at the heat of the moment, the perpetrator was armed with a deadly weapon, it wasn't just a little pocket knife. He is the 18yr old so hopefully he will be named and tried as an adult.

Gardaí know exactly who was involved and the ball is already rolling in that regard.

@beer_enigma, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know of a few different people that also knew him, and have only heard positive things about the kindness he showed others, and his popularity among his friends. He didn't deserve what happened to him and I hope that those that caused his death receive the maximim penalty possible.

Thanks, I'm kinda stunned. Its his lovely parents that my heart is with, known them for over 20 years.

At least two of them had knives, so yes not a random incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Thanks, I'm kinda stunned. Its his lovely parents that my heart is with, known them for over 20 years.

So sorry to hear of your loss must be an awful shock
    They came armed with knives not a random attack . So shocking and I fear for my young son when he grows up . My brother in law is 21 and a college student the stories he told us one night would shock you to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I've heard of instances where lads have been at school with knives. Didn't use them but they had them on their person.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I honestly believe there should be jail time for possession of a knife without proper explanation. And no teen hanging around school or town or the suburbs can have a proper explanation. They only have them to intimidate and harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Apparently they came to the house for drugs, stayed for a bit and a phone charger was left behind. They returned to retrieve the phone charger and an exchange occurred.
    That's what's being said anyway, may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Apparently they came to the house for drugs, stayed for a bit and a phone charger was left behind. They returned to retrieve the phone charger and an exchange occurred.

I honestly cannot believe that less than 24 hours after Cameron lost his life we have a "thats whats being said, may or may ot be true" rumour mill

I know this is personal to me but for christs sake, let the young fella rest in peace and let the Gardai do their duty without throwing supposition based on what some fella may have said.

He was a hard working young guy that would do anything for anyone to help and deserves better.

I'm going offline now but please folks, show some decency and respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

RIP. Sounds like he was a top fella, cream of the crop with sports and study. A huge loss to cork.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

RIP. Sounds like he was a top fella, cream of the crop with sports and study. A huge loss to cork.

The future of this country , bright engaged and w an asset to any community. As opposed to the grey track suited vermin that are epidemic now in Ireland. I'd swap a 100 of these cockroaches for one guy like this. How many more decent people have to suffer before cuts like martin nolan et al start ****ing keeping them off the streets. **** their civil liberties and their rights inbreeding animals the lot of them.

Friends of yours are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just had a call to say its the son of friends of ours, stunned. Lovely young fella and a talented rugby player big into his athletics with his whole life in front of him.

Sorry to hear that

I feel for his family and friends, a young life taken without regard

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Then it would be better to say nothing and refrain from repeating unfounded rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I just don't agree with this, yes there has been an escalation recently but writing off an entire city as a no-go for all ages is pure scaremongering at its finest.
    I'd feel safe walking pretty much anywhere in the city on my own.

Well I wouldn't feel safe walking anywhere, I have heard a good few tales of late especially of bad happenings to all ages in different areas of the city, I guess each have their own opinions and that is mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Friends of yours are they ?
    Yes I do know of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just awful, really is such a waste of life.
    The only ' good thing ' is that there was plenty of pics etc of those involved and this will certainly speed up the process for the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

An exchange, you mean a murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Town is gone,no way back FG/ gardai can't/ won't / didn't do anything to prooer police Cork ,it's a no go area for anyone over 50 years of age ATM

If there aren't gardaí around it's not their fault. It's because there aren't enough of them. Blame the politicians when they call to the door. Don't blame the men and women who have to do things most of use couldn't. When somebody finds limbs in a gym bag, do they call you? When a five your old gets his head crushed in a traffic accident do you have to tell his parents? Just shut it.

cantalach wrote: »
    If there aren't gardaí around it's not their fault. It's because there aren't enough of them. Blame the politicians when they call to the door. Don't blame the men and women who have to do things most of use couldn't. When somebody finds limbs in a gym bag, do they call you? When a five your old gets his head crushed in a traffic accident do you have to tell his parents? Just shut it.[/quote

You wouldn't need so many guards if the ****ing judges would stop giving suspended sentences to these animals a d pissing all over the hard work of the guards.

70 convictions my arse what a ****in joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Then it would be better to say nothing and refrain from repeating unfounded rumour.

That clown has done this very recently in another thread as well.

Absolutely no empathy, decorum or integrity.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Some free legal solicitor is probably making excuses - line of defence for the murderer already

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not only in the badlands of Dublin. It is everywhere now. Sorry for the family of the deceased person. Must be awful for them, his friends, colleagues and fellow students.

Jayzis. What the feck is going on in this country. But maybe I am a bit innocent. With due respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

The_Mac wrote: »
    Really? Dunno if you've been in town recently but there's lots of people walking around who're over 50 and, from the look of them, they generally seem to not have been assaulted recently.

I can't even imagine the logic of these little scumbags. "he won't let me in so I'll kill him?" Honestly seems recently that here and in Dublin, scumbags are trying to emulate London roadman culture.
    a

Well imagine this. Man finishes work/ finished looking at TV for day/ doin a bit of betting down at the bookies/ etc, etc etc and at some stage decides to get ready to go out for the night. Showers/shaves maybe. Puts on casual clothes-recently washed so smell nice, clean socks and his best shoes. Fixes hair. Has comb in pocket to keep hair in shape throughout the nite. Checks wallet for cards/cash / house keys and grabs a coat going out the door. He is gone just a few yards down the road when he felt his pockets and realized he forgot something as he felt ‘incomplete’. Back he goes and gets that little knife and off he goes again to meet some friends, have a drink or two and ———————BOOM.
    WHAT KIND OF A MINDSET DID THE GUY HAVE TO POSSESS HIM TO CARRY A KNIFE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

You wouldn't need so many guards if the ****ing judges would stop giving suspended sentences to these animals a d pissing all over the hard work of the guards.

70 convictions my arse what a ****in joke

I do agree wholeheartedly - but ultimately, is this not the politicians fault also?

Do they (genuine question here - not directed to you, but anybody that knows) - do they not have the authority to demand proper sentencing? Why is it that there are people with multiple, multiple, multiple convictions walking around? Is it low prison capacity / lack of funding? If it is - can they not find the money? If not, why not? Do they REALLY give a single sh*t?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not only in the badlands of Dublin. It is everywhere now. Sorry for the family of the deceased person. Must be awful for them, his friends, colleagues and fellow students.

Jayzis. What the feck is going on in this country. But maybe I am a bit innocent. With due respect.

I don't know. There was always scumbags, but it's scary to see knives. Probably guns too as well in the future.

It should all be preventable. But complex.

MMXX wrote: »
    I do agree wholeheartedly - but ultimately, is this not the politicians fault also?

Do they (genuine question here - not directed to you, but anybody that knows) - do they not have the authority to demand proper sentencing? Why is it that there are people with multiple, multiple, multiple convictions walking around? Is it low prison capacity / lack of funding? If it is - can they not find the money? If not, why not? Do they REALLY give a single sh*t?

Because it fuels a big part of the legal industry. These repeat offenders (read: complete scrotes) are the bread and butter for many a law firm.

R.I.P. to this young man, such a needless loss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Because it fuels a big part of the legal industry. These repeat offenders (read: complete scrotes) are the bread and butter for many a law firm.

R.I.P. to this young man, such a needless loss.

Really? It can't be just that.
    It's a complex problem, but that can't explain it.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Really? It can't be just that.
    It's a complex problem, but that can't explain it.

No, it's complex as you said and maybe goes beyond what we should discuss in detail in this thread. Soliciters don't create scumbags and I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

MMXX wrote: »
    Is it low prison capacity / lack of funding? If it is - can they not find the money? If not, why not? Do they REALLY give a single sh*t?

Boils down to money as always. More Gardai and prisons don't come cheap.
    Where does it come from?

Higher taxes - they get voted out.
    Reduce spening on health? Education? Roads? Housing? People complain about that then.
    It is all a balancing act.
    I'm sure all parties will be offerring the sun and the moon over the next few weeks, but the best any can realistically achieve is incremental improvement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement