Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it not time EVERYONE considers not voting for FF or FG in the upcoming election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

What if you believe there is no evidence that any other parties will improve anything? Again not advocating FG/FF (same party).

maybe if those other parties were elected we would find out, a real change is long overdue.

efanton wrote: »
    Before I even start. Im am not advocating, or trying to persuade, that anyone vote for any particular party.

Where are we now. Lets be honest the country is in a total shambles.

stopped reading here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What if you believe there is no evidence that any other parties will improve anything? Again not advocating FG/FF (same party).

How sure are you FF might cause a crash and FG will over see worsening national crises? I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boggles wrote: »
    Your not lad, your whinging.

Like I said cheer up.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

debok wrote: »
    Won't ever happen. Anytime someone tries they are immediately belittled and made to look like loons or incompetent. Whereas the evidence of ffg loons and incompetentcy is ignored. Like UK gave the north 1 billion thus week to run the country that's only half a hospital in this country

Urm

1 billion EXTRA

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Galway West. I reckon I will vote as follows;
    1. Social Democrats
    2. Independent
    3. Independent
    4. Green

The FFG vote share is reducing with every election. The electorate need to send a signal that we want change.
    Hopefully more decent parties come along and break the civil war cycle of bullshiit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Can I ask a question, I’ve been doing a lot of drinking lately, Christmas really just finished for me this week so I haven’t taken any notice of anything in a bit.

So.

Is brexit due to actually happen at the end of January? Like properly actually happen?

Didn’t our interesting “coalition supply and confidence agreement government “ tell us for a few years that we needed to keep the sham wedding going because brexit was the biggest thing to effect Ireland in decades?

And now when brexit happens we won’t actually have a governemnt, not to mind a bad one?????

Or am I missing something?

I will be voting Social Democrats. Have no links with the party but from what I can see it’s about the most palatable of the lot.

Can I ask a question, I’ve been doing a lot of drinking lately, Christmas really just finished for me this week so I haven’t taken any notice of anything in a bit.

So.

Is brexit due to actually happen at the end of January? Like properly actually happen?

Didn’t our interesting “coalition supply and confidence agreement government “ tell us for a few years that we needed to keep the sham wedding going because brexit was the biggest thing to effect Ireland in decades?

And now when brexit happens we won’t actually have a governemnt, not to mind a bad one?????

Or am I missing something?

The withdrawal agreement is decided. Brexit is pretty much done.

I will be voting Social Democrats. Have no links with the party but from what I can see it’s about the most palatable of the lot.

Think I'll go for them and the greens..

My local FG and FF candidates are Reilly, Farrell and Darragh O Brien..

Thanks. But no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

I always consider not voting for FF or FG in upcoming elections. Then, having through about it and considered all of the alternatives, I rapidly scurry back aboard the mothership.

One of the best opening posts I've seen on Boards.

lawred2 wrote: »
    The withdrawal agreement is decided. Brexit is pretty much done.

So brexit is done, the UK leaves at the end of January, and we won’t be electing another room of fools until the 8th, with a probable 20 more days until a party takes power in anyway earnest.

It’s entirely possible that we will have no government for The month Of February while a hard border is probably getting established on this island???

What if some legislation needs passing? What if some emergency funding is needed for something?

Why didn’t they just wait a month?

There you are ;)

https://www.socialdemocrats.ie/

So brexit is done, the UK leaves at the end of January, and we won’t be electing another room of fools until the 8th, with a probable 20 more days until a party takes power in anyway earnest.

It’s entirely possible that we will have no government for The month Of February while a hard border is probably getting established on this island???

What if some legislation needs passing? What if some emergency funding is needed for something?

What do you mean hard border? That was the whole point of the withdrawal agreement.

They'd probably get a vote off me, if they had someone running in my constituency - Waterford City. Not a solitary candidate in the whole south-east.

I don't think there's a more poorly organised party in the country.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What do you mean hard border? That was the whole point of the withdrawal agreement.

As I said, I’ve been doing a lot of drinking and not familiar with the withdrawal agreement, but it strikes me as a terrible decision to have no government in place while one quarter of the island is exiting the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

The reality is Ireland is actually quite a good place to live, work and raise kids etc.
    OK it’s not utopia but not many countries are in reality.
    Some of the crap on social media would have you believe we live in some kind of third world nation.

Improvements can be achieved and should be demanded but let’s have a sense of realism. These things take time and substantial investment that can only come from tax payers pockets and sensible government borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

efanton wrote: »
    If the vote for FF and FG and to a degree Labour (let's not forget they had a hand in it too), was significantly reduced, and the smaller parties got a bigger share, yes we would have no party capable of forming a government with an outright majority. This seems to work in many European countries, where parties agree common ground, and no party expects to automatically return to government. It would at least temper some of the extremely unpopular taxes, stealth charges, polices that seem to get squeezed through because a single party has an outright majority.
    If there was no outright majority would TD's then be forced to work for the common good rather than the party they stand for or look specifically after those that financially support them.

I believe it's nearly 40 years since any party has had an overall majority.:confused:

omega man wrote: »
    The reality is Ireland is actually quite a good place to live, work and raise kids etc.
    OK it’s not utopia but not many countries are in reality.
    Some of the crap on social media would have you believe we live in some kind of third world nation.

Improvements can be achieved and should be demanded but let’s have a sense of realism. These things take time and substantial investment that can only come from tax payers pockets and sensible government borrowing.

That's your experience and fair enough.
    I'm doing grand too. I take a look around though.
    I'd no major debts due to the FF boom but I appreciate others did. I certainly paid for 'everybody partied/went mad' depending on which of FF or FG you subscribe to.
    Also record breaking numbers of children homeless is a bit of a fly in the 'could be worse' ointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus relax, if we have learned anything it's Brexit is glacial in it's speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I dont think FF should get peoples vote, they were at the helm for 10 years and steered us over a cliff with scant thought for anyone that wasn't a developer.

FG to my eyes seem progressive SSM and Abortion referenda spring to mind. However the good will generated from these two evaporated when the childrens hospital and the general state of the health sector is taken into account. So what does that leave, Labour, SF or the Greens.

I think ill vote Greens and SD just for varieties sake. I do support the introduction of higher taxes and I want to see something done about the environment. However lets be realistic here that Ireland isnt going to make much difference emission wise so I would like the Greens to promote a large scale rewilding instead of chasing incresed levies from commuters.

That said both these are untested parties and would probably make ineffectual government. Considering the experience and mistakes routinely made by more seasoned politicians (RIC DMP) I am bit hopeful but will cast this way nontheless.

OK, and how will they change anything really.

We are stuck with FFG, Labour is fkd. They sold their soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you are struggling to figure out which party best represents your interests, try this - https://ireland.isidewith.com/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Well it won't be the Hard Lefties for me. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Where are we now. Lets be honest the country is in a total shambles.
    We have 'services' that hardly merit the term. the health service, education, housing, special needs, childcare all far below the standard of what any developed country should expect.

You know that when a thread starts with gross exaggeration then it is not going anywhere useful.
    While I could list numerous limitations of these parties, the country is not in a "shambles". It has grown by almost a quarter since the last election, which most European countries can only envy. The Health service has numerous limitations, yet men live a year and an a half longer than in the part of the island still under colonial rule and things like cancer outcomes are better than many European countries. The funding for education is somewhat niggardly, but the outcome is perfectly respectable by any international standard. Special needs etc could do with further improvement, but further improvement is not the same as in a shambles.

If people fail to analyse the performance of parties in a reasonable way, but rather engage in fantasy, then nothing will improve since the criticisms are easily deflected because they are boll1x and the real points where criticism is needed get overlooked in the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

My opinion (not that its worth anything) apart from my parents or older generations.... parties seem to be out, the younger voters seem to be voting for personalities more so than parties! We have a couple of nice candidate's personality wise where I am, the main being an independent but I'm fully aware how quickly the independents are purchased once they get in. We also have a couple of SF candidate's but this is a perfect breeding ground for them as they seem to pry on the under privileged.... I personally don't know which way I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

I can't understand how the two main parties can be so self righteous about not going in to government with SF... When one of them pretty much bankrupt the country and the other asks them to help for their term of office.. it's madness. Basically both fg and FF have just been in government together... SF are going to bring the retirement cage back to 65. So for the first time ever I'm going to give them a try... Maybe they'll be better. Maybe worse... At least having an alternative might light a fire under the two main parties.. No political party should outright exclude another as potential partners.. otherwise you are excluding a huge portion of voters from being represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Insidious wrote: »
    I can't understand how the two main parties can be so self righteous about not going in to government with SF... When one of them pretty much bankrupt the country and the other asks them to help for their term of office.. it's madness. Basically both fg and FF have just been in government together... SF are going to bring the retirement cage back to 65. So for the first time ever I'm going to give them a try... Maybe they'll be better. Maybe worse... At least having an alternative might light a fire under the two main parties.. No political party should outright exclude another as potential partners.. otherwise you are excluding a huge portion of voters from being represented.

I actually think it's a slap in the face of the taxpayer. We pay all their wages it's up for all of them to pull together their collective skills for the good of the country.FF and FG don't want to break up their current cosy cartel.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 40 Benoconnor80

Economic indicators look good; gdp growth, inflation and unemployment. Who cares about homeless drug addicts?

Advertisement