Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it not time EVERYONE considers not voting for FF or FG in the upcoming election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Who wants better public services ? Those paying nothing in ? I want tax cuts !

And you a diehard FG voter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fg and ff are gonna get the majority of votes between them, we re not ready for change yet

Party line for those two parties for decades. So condescending. I see rte are now excluding all but these two parties in the debates thank god the government and our state broadcaster have decided to save us from ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

smurgen wrote: »
    Party line for those two parties for decades. So condescending. I see rte are now excluding all but these two parties in the debates thank god the government and our state broadcaster have decided to save us from ourselves.

we really arent ready for change, this ge wont change much, theres currently no alternatives

we really arent ready for change, this ge wont change much, theres currently no alternatives

There's several.you sound like a north Korean news presenter at this stage.the fg party script is getting awful tiresome.all the same please stick with it as it's worn so thin it's translucent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who wants better public services ? Those paying nothing in ? I want tax cuts !
    I do and I'd happily pay even more tax if I knew it would be well spent.

• Advertisement

There's several.you sound like a north Korean news presenter at this stage.the fg party script is getting awful tiresome.all the same please stick with it as it's worn so thin it's translucent.

say wha! ive no interest in ff or fg, but the numbers dont stack up, and theres nothing wrong with the leader, hes great. be prepared for another confidence and supply!

say wha! ive no interest in ff or fg, but the numbers dont stack up, and theres nothing wrong with the leader, hes great. be prepared for another confidence and supply!

The leader is devoid of any leadership skills and many other skills that would be useful in his position.he has no gravitas and seems to not take the role serious.he has very little in terms of compassion and seems to lack empathy at times. My honest heart felt opinion is that while the leader is intelligent in general IQ terms he is emotionally unintelligent and this is not something you'd want as the leader of your country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

The fact of the matter is people do not largely vote for parties, they vote for people.

You just have to look at Sean Canney, constantly announcing funding for his area this week. His area will see that and they'll want more of it.

I mean...in my own constituency I have to vote for the lad local. If I don't then there'll be no representative for me. Do you think the lad 30 miles away who got most of his votes from that area will do anything for me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

seamus wrote: »

I wouldn't.

I'd rather the tax I pay already be better spent.

The health service is a shambles. Didn't they put another billion into it there in the budget or something? 0 difference. A ****ing billion. A thousand million!

Unions in the HSE need to be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

The problem with FFG is they convey the facade of being an alternative to each other and too many buy it as real. If they are truly interested in the national interest then they should merge to keep the loonies as they call them out of govt. At the very least they should go into coalition together this time.

I certainly won't vote for either but would do so if they reformed and merged.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    The problem with FFG is they convey the facade of being an alternative to each other and too many buy it as real. If they are truly interested in the national interest then they should merge to keep the loonies as they call them out of govt. At the very least they should go into coalition together this time.

I certainly won't vote for either but would do so if they reformed and merged.

but shur we ve had that for the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

efanton wrote: »
    Before I even start. Im am not advocating, or trying to persuade, that anyone vote for any particular party.

Where are we now. Lets be honest the country is in a total shambles.
    We have 'services' that hardly merit the term. the health service, education, housing, special needs, childcare all far below the standard of what any developed country should expect.

You might argue, well we have the economy right isnt that something, and I would agree with you except that we have well educated, experience people working in fairly good jobs with a decent income and yet they cant find anywhere reasonable to live or even afford what is available.

We vote FF in, they make a balls up, then we vote FG in and they make another balls up, but by then we are told to forgive FF for their mistakes and the cycle repeats and repeats.

Is it not time to call a halt. I dont care what you individual political beliefs are, that's up to you and a personal issue as far as I am concerned. But is it not time that we refused to reelect parties or individual TD's that continually fail.
    There will be the argument that if we dont vote FF or FG who else can we trust in government. To me that's very much the same as saying yes they are both bad, but because we allow them to act with impunity, they will carry on exactly as before with no lesson learnt, no improvement, no sanction.

Would an employer keep a member of staff despite them being total hopeless at their job? It will cost them money and inconvenience to replace them, they have no idea how a replacement employee will perform, but they will very definitely take action.

Would you continue to go to a shop or restaurant where the service is atrocious, because you dont know what the service in an alternative is like?
    You might see reviews or hear stories, but inevitably you are either going to approach the management and say this is simply not good enough, or you are going to take a chance and try the other establishment.

Same for child care. If your child is in the care of someone that you deem unfit to look after your child you certainly are not going to let them continue looking after them even if the alternatives might not look as good.

We all hear how bad SF SD, People before profit(or what ever brand they are using this time round) , or the independents might be in government, yet the simple fact is no one really knows as they have never had that chance. All we have to go on is what other parties might claim or the opinions of those already biased against them.

Surely it is time to refuse to reelect any TD or minister that has failed, no matter which party they represent or what political party you personally might support.

Michael Martin was up to his neck in the fiasco that forced our country into beggary and austerity, and his reward after a year or two was to become party leader. Seriously if this was a soap opera or film most would find the plot totally unbelievable. Surely if FF we truly apologetic of the calamity they caused this country all those involved would have been removed as TD's let alone be allowed to stand as perspective ministers or a Taoiseach before a subsequent general election. I'm not bashing FF specifically here, we could say the same about current and previous ministers in Labour, FG or Greens.

To me the issue is simple. The cycle simply has to be broken at some point and its going to take a little bit of bravery or courage by those who have a vote.
    The country is in a mess, its hardly likely that it could get significantly worse no matter who is elected, so is now the time to send a message that we expect parties (all of them) to clean up their act, get rid of those that fail, or we simply will not vote for them.

If nothing else, a bloody nose for FG,FF or indeed any party that was in a government and failed will make them and all parties take serious stock and be the impetus for serious reform and improved governance. The pantomime that Enda Kenny went through (remember him) promising total reform never happened.
    I would be saying exactly the same about SF if they got into power and did not deliver what they promise. The next general election would be only a few years away, plenty time to clean house, and come back genuinely interested in performing better. With no party with an outright majority removing a government that is failing would be easier too.

If the vote for FF and FG and to a degree Labour (let's not forget they had a hand in it too), was significantly reduced, and the smaller parties got a bigger share, yes we would have no party capable of forming a government with an outright majority. This seems to work in many European countries, where parties agree common ground, and no party expects to automatically return to government. It would at least temper some of the extremely unpopular taxes, stealth charges, polices that seem to get squeezed through because a single party has an outright majority.
    If there was no outright majority would TD's then be forced to work for the common good rather than the party they stand for or look specifically after those that financially support them.

I'm really posting here to get a feel for how people think. Are people prepare to take a chance, or are they simply happy to get more of the same constant disappointment.

As stated at the very top, Im not advocating any particular party, I'm hoping that people will simply post their views in a non party way (or as near as you can get on a political forum). Keep it civilised and as non party and non-partisan as possible.
    Is there a mood there for significant change, or are we doomed to what essentially is a two part state with very little difference between them both in policy and standards?

If, as you say, that the country is currently in a mess, then what kind of a label would you use for the period from circa late 2007 to 2012. Maybe such a word does not as yet exist ? Now is your opportunity for your 15 minutes of fame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I do and I pay lots of tax. I would also not mind paying more tax to get more services.however I would first like to see a party that isn't involved in crony capitalism and woefully inept at procurement take the reigns before we contribute more. Can you honestly say FG are managing the public purse effectively? God no!

Amen to all that. But aren't we cursed with one or the other? Neither FF or FG have displayed a long term ability to manage the public finances prudently. They start off with the best of intentions but then it goes awry. Particularly when more money flows into the public coffers. In times of recession, they both seem to get on better in this regard - which all leads back to that seminal book 'The Growth Illusion'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

One of the issues with say Sinn Fein is their questionable views on criminality and the courts etc. Unfortunately many (not all, far from it) of their constituencies are steeped in intergenerational poverty and social apathy/ignorance, career criminality and connections. The whistleblower on twitter highlights one very interesting 6 degrees of separation with one of their counselors and a major player. these things matter. The dark shadows haven't suddenly stopped supporting the party. How many parties are run like them - "Sinn Fein is "a centrally-controlled undemocratic party" and its strategy is still determined by the IRA army council, the leader of Fianna Fail has said."

But then their leader is Mary Lou, privately educated and from Rathgar and includes Blackrock College lads like O'Broinn. The two are like oil and water for the majority of reasonable people can see through this. You can't appeal to both sides its near impossible, hence why the polls look the way they do. Until Ireland socially becomes a place where the majority are in poverty or uneducated or the like, then they will never govern the whole Island.

A party who is against the special criminal courts but wants to lead the whole country? no thanks.

Before I even start. Im am not advocating, or trying to persuade, that anyone vote for any particular party.

Where are we now. Lets be honest the country is in a total shambles.
    We have 'services' that hardly merit the term. the health service, education, housing, special needs, childcare all far below the standard of what any developed country should expect.

You might argue, well we have the economy right isnt that something, and I would agree with you except that we have well educated, experience people working in fairly good jobs with a decent income and yet they cant find anywhere reasonable to live or even afford what is available.

We vote FF in, they make a balls up, then we vote FG in and they make another balls up, but by then we are told to forgive FF for their mistakes and the cycle repeats and repeats.

Is it not time to call a halt. I dont care what you individual political beliefs are, that's up to you and a personal issue as far as I am concerned. But is it not time that we refused to reelect parties or individual TD's that continually fail.
    There will be the argument that if we dont vote FF or FG who else can we trust in government. To me that's very much the same as saying yes they are both bad, but because we allow them to act with impunity, they will carry on exactly as before with no lesson learnt, no improvement, no sanction.

Would an employer keep a member of staff despite them being total hopeless at their job? It will cost them money and inconvenience to replace them, they have no idea how a replacement employee will perform, but they will very definitely take action.

Would you continue to go to a shop or restaurant where the service is atrocious, because you dont know what the service in an alternative is like?
    You might see reviews or hear stories, but inevitably you are either going to approach the management and say this is simply not good enough, or you are going to take a chance and try the other establishment.

Same for child care. If your child is in the care of someone that you deem unfit to look after your child you certainly are not going to let them continue looking after them even if the alternatives might not look as good.

We all hear how bad SF SD, People before profit(or what ever brand they are using this time round) , or the independents might be in government, yet the simple fact is no one really knows as they have never had that chance. All we have to go on is what other parties might claim or the opinions of those already biased against them.

Surely it is time to refuse to reelect any TD or minister that has failed, no matter which party they represent or what political party you personally might support.

Michael Martin was up to his neck in the fiasco that forced our country into beggary and austerity, and his reward after a year or two was to become party leader. Seriously if this was a soap opera or film most would find the plot totally unbelievable. Surely if FF we truly apologetic of the calamity they caused this country all those involved would have been removed as TD's let alone be allowed to stand as perspective ministers or a Taoiseach before a subsequent general election. I'm not bashing FF specifically here, we could say the same about current and previous ministers in Labour, FG or Greens.

To me the issue is simple. The cycle simply has to be broken at some point and its going to take a little bit of bravery or courage by those who have a vote.
    The country is in a mess, its hardly likely that it could get significantly worse no matter who is elected, so is now the time to send a message that we expect parties (all of them) to clean up their act, get rid of those that fail, or we simply will not vote for them.

If nothing else, a bloody nose for FG,FF or indeed any party that was in a government and failed will make them and all parties take serious stock and be the impetus for serious reform and improved governance. The pantomime that Enda Kenny went through (remember him) promising total reform never happened.
    I would be saying exactly the same about SF if they got into power and did not deliver what they promise. The next general election would be only a few years away, plenty time to clean house, and come back genuinely interested in performing better. With no party with an outright majority removing a government that is failing would be easier too.

If the vote for FF and FG and to a degree Labour (let's not forget they had a hand in it too), was significantly reduced, and the smaller parties got a bigger share, yes we would have no party capable of forming a government with an outright majority. This seems to work in many European countries, where parties agree common ground, and no party expects to automatically return to government. It would at least temper some of the extremely unpopular taxes, stealth charges, polices that seem to get squeezed through because a single party has an outright majority.
    If there was no outright majority would TD's then be forced to work for the common good rather than the party they stand for or look specifically after those that financially support them.

I'm really posting here to get a feel for how people think. Are people prepare to take a chance, or are they simply happy to get more of the same constant disappointment.

As stated at the very top, Im not advocating any particular party, I'm hoping that people will simply post their views in a non party way (or as near as you can get on a political forum). Keep it civilised and as non party and non-partisan as possible.
    Is there a mood there for significant change, or are we doomed to what essentially is a two part state with very little difference between them both in policy and standards?
    lawred2 wrote: »
    The withdrawal agreement is decided. Brexit is pretty much done.

Brexit is really only starting now and may take circa 10 years to be finalised

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You’re a taxpayer. You could be “ vulneable “ even if you like in a total kip eating beans on toast seven days a week. As as income taxpayer, all of these goodies , will be aimed at those that don’t work. Believe me , the money via a taxcut, would be better In your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's just as well you never applied for a job in the public sector, you'd never have been able to live with shame.

I dont know what id do with the extra 40 hours a week of free time, especially with less money in which to spend in the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Field east wrote: »
    Brexit is really only starting now and may take circa 10 years to be finalised

yeah yeah

that's not the context I was referring to... worrying about a hard border suddenly appearing during the month of February is what I was referring to.. Brexit wranglings are pretty much put to bed for a few months at least.

February is covered by the withdrawal agreement - this is the right time to hold an election - it is more important later in the year to have a stable government.

So there was no better time this year to have an election.

Brexit is now about trade deals which are going to take a lot longer than the month of February 2020 to sort out..

Just heard O Broin , SF , talking about it’s housing plans on the Pat Kenny Show. He talks about his plan costing an extra €6 bn. I think it is professionally naive to talk to any party individual about , for example, any specific aspect of a party’s plans - and most especially on that costs money without talking about the overall cost of its overall programme for government if it was a single party government. Any gov program would be even more costly if , for example, SF was part of a collision/rainbow arrangement.
    I noted that when PK asked him ‘‘when the RTB finds in favor of the landlord and the tenant has ‘winged it’ what is he proposing’’. He skirted the reply by saying that the RTB’s findings are 50% in favor of tenant and 50% landlord.
    For a supposedly straight talker and who has an answer for everything he does not answer ‘awkward ‘ questions

You can thank Eamon Gilmore for the total decline of the Labour party - went into coalition in 2011, broke every single pre election promise they made, u-turns all over the place and I'm not surprised that people won't vote for them because there is no trust anymore

People may have short memories when it comes to politics but it'll be a while for the stains of 2011 to be washed away

What Labour did in 2011 FF did exactly the same in the Confidence and Supply arrangement with FG. I commend both tor their actions. If L did not go into gov with FG , then what was the alternative? FF did not want anything to do with gov because of what happened - the nation saw them as toxic anyway. SF would not go in withFG. AND AND AND it was a time when we REALLY needed a stable government because of the financial hope we were in. Also because of this we were in extremely uncharted territory and all normal run of the mill plans had to go out the window because of the austerity needed. So Labour bit the bullet and as a result we are where we are today because of Labour’s contribution along with other contributions So let’s not forget that.
    ALSO the C and S arrangement that FF agreed to provided a similar platform for the minority FG gov. WHAT was the alternative if that did not happen.? SF again said that it would not go into gov with FG . AND again a very stable gov was required because of the times that were in it with the IMF/WB/EC arrangements and of course Brexit. A gov that was not expected to last more than six. Months , according to the papers, but lasted for the full term. COOL and pragmatic heads prevailed. So let’s not forget that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

You’re a taxpayer. You could be “ vulneable “ even if you like in a total kip eating beans on toast seven days a week. As as income taxpayer, all of these goodies , will be aimed at those that don’t work. Believe me , the money via a taxcut, would be better In your pocket

Where do you get this nonsense.

You do realise that far more money is spent on those that are working than those who do not, for those who are of a working age.

I take it
    You do not claim mortgage relieve.
    you never use public transport.
    you have never visited a doctor or had need of a hospital
    you would prefer there is no gardai or justice system whatsoever
    your kids go to school
    and a myriad of other things.
    Just like every other worker, state money is also spent on you and in proportion far more is spent on those working and capable of working than those who do not

Yes some of the government money is spent on social protection but in proportion to the total spend its only 21.3 billion of a total government spend of 80 billion (these were 2019 figures)

Then when you take a closer look at that 21.3 billion spend on social protect which at first I would admit looks pretty horrendous you will notice that only 3.29 billion of that is spent on income support (dole, supplementary benefit, sick pay for those working, etc). There's no break down of what amount is specifically used for dole payments out of that 3.2 billion but we can certainly agree it is probably less than but close to 2.5 billion.

So how can you claim that ALL increases in spending or even a significant proportion of the existing budget is spent on those who do not work. 2.5 billion is a lot of money, I do not doubt that for one minute, but it certainly could not be considered a significant proportion of a total 80 billion spend.

as usual there's always a cohort of people with a prejudiced view who simply bark up the wrong tree

You want to know where a stupid amount of money is spent try the HSE who gobbled up 11.7 billion out of a total 18 billion spent on all health services (homecare, special needs, etc) I wouldn't argue with that amount being spent if we actually had a health service that works, but we don't, not even close.

Just imagine overnight we could cut spending on dole costs by 10%. That would only equate to a saving of about 250 million, which is no small change I'd admit.
    But now do the same 10% reduction on what the HSE spends and that would give us a saving of 1.17 billion.
    Still think you are barking up the right tree? 250 million is peanut money when compared to a total spend of 80 billion.

go here to see how your money is spent, its actually quite eye opening
    https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

Field east wrote: »
    What Labour did in 2011 FF did exactly the
    SF would not go in withFG. AND AND AND it was a time when we REALLY needed a stable government because of the financial hope we were in. Also because of this we were in extremely uncharted territory and all normal run of

SF again said that it would not go into gov with FG . AND again a very stable gov was required because of the times that were in it with the IMF/WB/EC arrangements and of course Brexit. A gov that was not expected to last more than six. Months , according to the papers, but lasted for the full term. COOL and pragmatic heads prevailed. So let’s not forget that either.

Why would you expect a party that is diametrically opposed to most FG policies to actually join them in government.
    Would FG consider supporting a SF government, I very much doubt it, for the very same reason.

Its easy for FF to support FG, or vice versa, there is very little difference between them.

Labour have always been the Dail whores who will jump into bed with anyone that will take them so is it not unexpected that at some point they would reap the reward of not actually sticking to their policies and worse seriously hurting those that electing them.

We will never have a stable government in this country, or one that actually delivers its program of government because we the electorate are happy to continually accept failure and reelect TD's and ministers that should never have been let step across the Dail's threshold ever again.

Its all well and good blaming the political parties, but what people dont want to hear is for the most part those voting are equally to blame.
    A child is never corrected, allowed to do what it likes and ends up wild, committing antisocial behaviour and worse. Do we blame the child, or the parent?

do you see the point of me starting this thread. The cycle we have now simply has to be broken or at the very least we the electorate have to prevent those who fail badly ever getting into the Dail again. To not do so simply means more of the same, yet more crises in the not too distant future, and yet more public money wasted. All the while taxation increasing and results diminishing

Can anyone actually name any large infrastructure projects fine Gael have delivered since they came to power?also have they come up with any solutions for the health and housing and if they have why haven't these been deployed prior to election? Let's be fair they are the do nothing party and have coasted on the waves of international growth and recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can anyone actually name any large infrastructure projects fine Gael have delivered since they came to power?also have they come up with any solutions for the health and housing and if they have why haven't these been deployed prior to election? Let's be fair they are the do nothing party and have coasted on the waves of international growth and recovery.
    Depends on how you define delivered as most large infrastructure projects are in the pipeline for decades.
    I know a bit of the motorway network has been delivered in the period 2011 to 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

To answer the OPs question, yes it is time but there's a serious problem.

The opposition is utterly deplorable.

The Labour party, while in government, betrayed the people they claim the represent and should never be forgiven for it, they should be stripped of their name and disbanded.

The Green party can't string a sentence together without contracting themselves.

Independents? Narcissistic children, the current government shows how dangerous it is to give these people power.

Sinn Fein? No political maturity, no experiences in government, too many skeletons. However they maybe the closest thing we have to 'the Left'.

Without a genuine opposition we will never have a functioning democracy.

To vote back in FF/FG will mean many more years of nanny state and growth stifling policies, leading to worst of both worlds, high taxes and no services.

Well to be fair they have started to dig a big hole where a hospital might eventually be.

And 'big hole' is the right term for it. Millions so far wasted and it looks like that particular project will come in at at least two times its budget.

But you know, you cant trust the opposition with tax payers money, they will only waste it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Niallof9 wrote: »
    One of the issues with say Sinn Fein is their questionable views on criminality and the courts etc. Unfortunately many (not all, far from it) of their constituencies are steeped in intergenerational poverty and social apathy/ignorance, career criminality and connections. The whistleblower on twitter highlights one very interesting 6 degrees of separation with one of their counselors and a major player. these things matter. The dark shadows haven't suddenly stopped supporting the party. How many parties are run like them - "Sinn Fein is "a centrally-controlled undemocratic party" and its strategy is still determined by the IRA army council, the leader of Fianna Fail has said."

But then their leader is Mary Lou, privately educated and from Rathgar and includes Blackrock College lads like O'Broinn. The two are like oil and water for the majority of reasonable people can see through this. You can't appeal to both sides its near impossible, hence why the polls look the way they do. Until Ireland socially becomes a place where the majority are in poverty or uneducated or the like, then they will never govern the whole Island.

A party who is against the special criminal courts but wants to lead the whole country? no thanks.

Is O'Broin privately educated in Blackrock College? Paints his attacks on Eoghan Murphy in an entirely new light. Didn't he used to have a go at Murphy for being a privately educated toff? I have to say however I am a SF supporter and think money is the centre of evil in this country presently. Too many people fighting to get ahead grab hold of what they already have and are violent or at least passively aggressive in getting their agenda across.

Spanish Eyes is a bitter poster I think Fidelis who used to be on Politics.ie and is now on Irishpolitics.ie spreading her vitriol about immigrants and the left being unrealistic with imaginary money trees. It's the right who are the violent ones. Bitterly holding onto their money when the helpless resort to crime to make a name for themselves in this world. It's their way of fighting back against the system which is currently run by self entitled toffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

We don't have a right wing proper alternative.

For example

Fianna Fail
    Fine Gael
    Sinn Fein
    People before profit
    Socialist party
    Solidarity

etc etc

ALL LEFT parties.

Only real right party in Ireland is the National party and they are tiny and marginalized due to their leader.

Really is a joke no right alternative AT ALL in Ireland.

Why would you expect a party that is diametrically opposed to most FG policies to actually join them in government.
    Would FG consider supporting a SF government, I very much doubt it, for the very same reason.

Its easy for FF to support FG, or vice versa, there is very little difference between them.

Labour have always been the Dail whores who will jump into bed with anyone that will take them so is it not unexpected that at some point they would reap the reward of not actually sticking to their policies and worse seriously hurting those that electing them.

We will never have a stable government in this country, or one that actually delivers its program of government because we the electorate are happy to continually accept failure and reelect TD's and ministers that should never have been let step across the Dail's threshold ever again.

Its all well and good blaming the political parties, but what people dont want to hear is for the most part those voting are equally to blame.
    A child is never corrected, allowed to do what it likes and ends up wild, committing antisocial behaviour and worse. Do we blame the child, or the parent?

do you see the point of me starting this thread. The cycle we have now simply has to be broken or at the very least we the electorate have to prevent those who fail badly ever getting into the Dail again. To not do so simply means more of the same, yet more crises in the not too distant future, and yet more public money wasted. All the while taxation increasing and results diminishing
    You seem to be making the assumption that some ministers are inherently bad from the outset and behave badly while being a minister. That is a very big stretch of the imagination. Would you not accept that of the 15 ministerial portfolios , one or two of them might get it wrong some of the time and NOT on purpose. Take the voting machines or the land bought for , was it 15millon and in Co Meath by Minister Ml McDowell at the time , for a new prison for example. These were cabinet approved decisions but did not turn out well. At the time the line ministers thought that they were good ideas. The whole fiasco in both cases, IMO , does not make them bad ministers. I am sure that they did some good things while in government as well and also contributed to debate/decisions on other gov programmers by other ministers that turned out to be the right thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

We don't have a right wing proper alternative.

For example

Fianna Fail
    Fine Gael
    Sinn Fein
    People before profit
    Socialist party
    Solidarity

etc etc

ALL LEFT parties.

Only real right party in Ireland is the National party and they are tiny and marginalized due to their leader.

Really is a joke no right alternative AT ALL in Ireland.

For all their sound bites & bluster, Sinn Féin's demeanor and internal dealings show them to be almost fascist in their thinking

Advertisement