Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK connection?

• 17-01-2020 5:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I will be in transit via JFK on an upcoming journey via the USA to South America later this year and I have not transited in JFK in over 12 years. I remember at the time having to identify my suitcase and it then being sent onwards towards Las Vegas.

I will have a 6hrs layover going out (i'll wait it out in the lounge) and a 12 hour layover coming back and I plan to visit family and friends out long island to pass the time. The flight itself was one of those anti-social hours and awful long layover types that no-one wants (thus mega cheap) and when searching I said it will be a chance to visit the family even for half a day since I didn't see them in 12-18 months since and maybe buy some stuff if I have time and take them DutyFree also.

The one thing I know from my half dozen or so trips to the US in recent times is nothing is the same, except mega arcane stupidity, bureaucracy and insane security beyond normal convention.

The sterile transit areas we are so accustomed to in transit airports like Dubai doesn't apply in the US and you can't transit the country if you are visa required, i.e. Transit is the same as entering as far as they are concerned.

I'm just concerned they might have some stupid rule forcing me to reclaim my luggage due to the 12 hour layover or that they'd have issue with me leaving the airport during the 12 hours. I am planning to check my carryon as I'll be headed and just carry my laptop case to make getting the Subway easier, NYC transit is a very hostile environment for luggage with lack of lifts and escalators.

I'll be flying Delta in and out via Terminal 2, if anyone did similar before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK you will have to recover your checked baggage, carry it to the terminal from which your connecting flight departs, and then check it in again for that flight. Obvious problem with a 12-hour layover is that check-in for your connecting flight may not have opened. Probably best to check with the carrier for your connecting flight whether they will accept checked-in bags many hours in advance of the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ignore above post

If its all on one ticket

1. Bags will go to destination (US customs is done in Dublin so you will not need to reclaim and recheck in JFK) Staff in Dublin will confirm this and the baggage receipt will show the final flight and destination for the bags

2. If you are flying Delta and then Delta onwards you will NOT have to reclear security in JFK, flights from Dublin are treated as 'domestic' so you will arrive into the terminal departure area

3. You may have to change terminals, if that is required look for a connecting bus (DO NOT LEAVE the terminal) as the bus will keep you inside the secure area. Not always possible but check with ground staff before you leave to the secure area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

The exact length of your JFK connection matters. If your connection is under 12 hours you can ask at check-in in South America for them to tag the bag to Dublin. If your connection is 12 hours or more, they will only tag it to JFK.

In either event, when you arrive in JFK from South America, you will need to go through immigration, then collect your bags and bring your bags past customs.

If it is tagged to Dublin, you can immediately hand the bag back to Delta after customs. If it is not tagged to Dublin, there is a baggage storage place in the arrivals area where you can stash your bag for the day for a reasonable fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

theguzman wrote: »
    I will be in transit via JFK on an upcoming journey via the USA to South America later this year and I have not transited in JFK in over 12 years. I remember at the time having to identify my suitcase and it then being sent onwards towards Las Vegas.

I will have a 6hrs layover going out (i'll wait it out in the lounge) and a 12 hour layover coming back and I plan to visit family and friends out long island to pass the time. The flight itself was one of those anti-social hours and awful long layover types that no-one wants (thus mega cheap) and when searching I said it will be a chance to visit the family even for half a day since I didn't see them in 12-18 months since and maybe buy some stuff if I have time and take them DutyFree also.

The one thing I know from my half dozen or so trips to the US in recent times is nothing is the same, except mega arcane stupidity, bureaucracy and insane security beyond normal convention.

The sterile transit areas we are so accustomed to in transit airports like Dubai doesn't apply in the US and you can't transit the country if you are visa required, i.e. Transit is the same as entering as far as they are concerned.

I'm just concerned they might have some stupid rule forcing me to reclaim my luggage due to the 12 hour layover or that they'd have issue with me leaving the airport during the 12 hours. I am planning to check my carryon as I'll be headed and just carry my laptop case to make getting the Subway easier, NYC transit is a very hostile environment for luggage with lack of lifts and escalators.

I'll be flying Delta in and out via Terminal 2, if anyone did similar before.

A. You don't need to re-check luggage on a Pre-Clearance flight as you land domestic.

B. For 12 hours you would actually have to ask to NOT have your luggage checked all the way through to your destination, even then they may not even let you (due to possible skip lagging)

Will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement