Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools cork

Options
  • 17-01-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had feedback on st Angela's school cork. Also Regina mundi thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’ve no personal experience of St. Angela’s but know lots of people whose daughters went there and have heard very good reports of it. My own 2 daughters went to Regina Munda and personally I was very happy with it with the exception of one teacher who was a total b@tch to my older daughter. Words had to be had on 2 occasions and a warning that my younger daughter was not to be treated in the same manner. Both got good results in their leaving cert and went on to good collage courses. I know that there is a new principal in the last few years and have heard from a friend with children still there that there is a sense of discontent amongst teachers. Obviously as my own daughters are now moved on I have no personal experience of this. I think it’s only fair to say, in the schools defence, that there’s probably a b@tch of a teacher in most schools. I was happy with the education my girls received and never regretted sending them there. They made lovely friends that they have kept and were happy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

From what I know both are good schools, another mount mercy college,model farm road ( high achievers+ non fee paying)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both schools have good reputations.
    Which one is walking distance from where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Cos365 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone had feedback on st Angela's school cork. Also Regina mundi thanks in advance.

When we were picking a secondary school for our daughter 7-8 years ago, the main thing that put us off St Angela’s was what we felt were poor STEM subject choices to Leaving Cert. It may of course have improved since but if STEM is important to you it’s certainly worth asking if they offer all STEM subjects at Higher Level. Also worth asking how many Higher Level Maths classes there are.

That all said, as it turns out, our daughter has ended up doing a decidedly not-STEM college course so our STEM fixation was ultimately to no avail. Kids change a lot between 6th Class and 6th Year. If we had our time again, we’d probably send her to St. Angela’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

My two daughters went to St Angela's. It's a great school. The building is fantastic, almost brand new, and making great use of the location. Teaching and supports are great, and results consistently high.
    The STEM aspect has got a lot better in recent years, indeed my youngest is very set on STEM and planning to do engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cos365

Thank you for your reply that is great to hear. I have been up to see the new school and it's very impressive I'm hoping she will be happy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Diziet wrote: »
    The STEM aspect has got a lot better in recent years, indeed my youngest is very set on STEM and planning to do engineering.

That’s great to hear. We need more female engineers. 30 years ago, 5% of first years in my wife’s engineering class were female. In one of the Dublin engineering courses last year, only 2% were female! It’s worse we’re getting. Off topic I know...

cantalach wrote: »
    That’s great to hear. We need more female engineers. 30 years ago, 5% of first years in my wife’s engineering class were female. In one of the Dublin engineering courses last year, only 2% were female! It’s worse we’re getting. Off topic I know...

It averages at around 13% currently, which is terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I have experience of both - and there is zero difference between them! The only important thing is who they choose to be friends with - this also changes throughout the years. We, the parents can analyse STEM, % college applicants and new school facilities- but ultimately, we are there to steer them through (possibly), a hard 'growing up' journey. I wouldn't base your decision solely on facilities-it needs to be a place your girl feels at home.

Cork Lass - 17/01/2020 - ' I know that there is a new principal in the last few years and have heard from a friend with children still there that there is a sense of discontent amongst teachers. '

Seriously, Cork Lass should get herself a life- is she bothered what (hearsay)people (teachers) think of their boss (Principal)?
    My only advice is to stay away from that nonsense! Does Cork Lass teach there?
    Best of Luck to you both.

We don't have enough mixed secondary schools in Cork, which I think is such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I have experience of both - and there is zero difference between them! The only important thing is who they choose to be friends with - this also changes throughout the years. We, the parents can analyse STEM, % college applicants and new school facilities- but ultimately, we are there to steer them through (possibly), a hard 'growing up' journey. I wouldn't base your decision solely on facilities-it needs to be a place your girl feels at home.

Cork Lass - 17/01/2020 - ' I know that there is a new principal in the last few years and have heard from a friend with children still there that there is a sense of discontent amongst teachers. '

Seriously, Cork Lass should get herself a life- is she bothered what (hearsay)people (teachers) think of their boss (Principal)?
    My only advice is to stay away from that nonsense! Does Cork Lass teach there?
    Best of Luck to you both.

We don't have enough mixed secondary schools in Cork, which I think is such a shame.

Why do I need to get a life? What do you know about me or my life? I gave an honest opinion about my experience and because it’s not current I mentioned what I have been told from a (reliable) friend. Where did I mention that this bothered me? I couldn’t care less what teachers think of her but a sense of discontent can have a negative effect. I’m not interested in having an argument about this as my comment was nothing but genuine. If it bothers you that much maybe I’m not the one who needs to get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Diziet wrote: »
    It averages at around 13% currently, which is terrible...

Its really not as terrible as you think, as the low numbers in stem is not due to factors that we have traditionally blamed.

The greater the gender equality is in a country the less the % of females that pursue STEM. All we can do is show what opportunities are available it is up to student preference after that.

Where are the discussions on % of male primary school teachers or nurses ?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem/553592/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cos365

Thanks for all the feedback good to have feedback from people who have experienced both schools.

Its really not as terrible as you think, as the low numbers in stem is not due to factors that we have traditionally blamed.

The greater the gender equality is in a country the less the % of females that pursue STEM. All we can do is show what opportunities are available it is up to student preference after that.

Where are the discussions on % of male primary school teachers or nurses ?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem/553592/

Actually it is terrible, and it is not acceptable - there is a pool of talent there that is not utilised. Plus these jobs are well paid, so less access to income, too. And there is clearly a cultural bias there. The question was not about male teachers or nurses (where also a clear cultural bias exists) - if you want to talk about that, then please open another thread.

Advertisement