Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Lourdes, Argeles-Gazost, Luz-Saint-Sauveur, Tourmalet

Options
  • 17-01-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Looking at a glamping/pool type family holiday in Argeles-Gazost or Luz-Saint-Sauveur and wondering about cycling options. I see there are bike hire shops in both these places. They are a little more pricey than Majorca.

Am wondering do people have recommendations for bike hire out here ?

Or a preference for one of the 2 places mentioned to stay in ?

Am also thinking of bringing a bike. Trying to avoid car hire which would certainly work without bikes as flight times to Tarbes/Lourdes are good and there is a semi decent bus service serving both those towns. And if bringing a bike you would need a bigger car than usual anyway.

Anyone know if local buses will take bikes ? And if they should be kept in the bike bag or made up ?

Has anyone used and can recommend a good transfer from Airport to campsite that will take bikes, airport to argeles is 26km or about 30 mins ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's good greenways in the lower part of the valley so if you're staying in Argeles Gazost, it's worth having bikes for the family. Further south, into the mountains there's only one road into Luz Saint Saveur which is narrow, relatively busy and with no shoulder as it winds up a river gorge for about 5km. That said, locals should be pretty used to cyclists on the road.

There are quite a number of popular climbs in that valley. Velopeloton (of boards) runs (or used to run) a bike hire/tour business out of Argeles. He's certainly knowledgeable on all of the possibilities thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks. Yes spotted the greenway which runs right by the campsite I'm looking at all the way to Lourdes. Young lad has a decent bike (woom) and I was wondering about fitting that into a bike bag along with my own.

Otherwise if deciding to rent and if you're in Luz see there is

https://ardidenvelos.com/road-bikes-to-rent/

Wondering about options in Argeles, looking for half day rentals at a reasonable rate. Anyone hired here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Thanks. Yes spotted the greenway which runs right by the campsite I'm looking at all the way to Lourdes. Young lad has a decent bike (woom) and I was wondering about fitting that into a bike bag along with my own.

Otherwise if deciding to rent and if you're in Luz see there is

https://ardidenvelos.com/road-bikes-to-rent/

Wondering about options in Argeles, looking for half day rentals at a reasonable rate. Anyone hired here ?

I stayed in Luz Saint Sauveur last September and rented from Ardiden velos. Top quality bikes. Pricy comparing to Mallorca but in line with other shops around. Shop owned by British family.

I was there for the big climbs like Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Troumousse, Aubisque, Aspin and so on. So probably not the whole family cycle routes.

When I was doing research on transportation in the area, car rental seemed like the only viable option. But I was planning active holiday with different hike/cycle everyday.

strmin wrote: »
    I stayed in Luz Saint Sauveur last September and rented from Ardiden velos. Top quality bikes. Pricy comparing to Mallorca but in line with other shops around. Shop owned by British family.

I was there for the big climbs like Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Troumousse, Aubisque, Aspin and so on. So probably not the whole family cycle routes.

When I was doing research on transportation in the area, car rental seemed like the only viable option. But I was planning active holiday with different hike/cycle everyday.

One day on the greenway would be fine and enough for family I would think. I'd be looking at getting a few mornings myself (early departure) up some of the aforementioned cols. Also looking to do some family hiking too. Would be hoping to avail of the bus

https://ardidenvelos.com/how-to-get-to-luz-saint-sauveur/

to get to some decent drop off points. Its not a walking forum I know but I'd happily receive any suggestions for 2-4 hour family friendly hikes from bus drop off points

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Cirque de Gavarnie and Lac de Gaube from Pont d'Espagne are two must do easy hikes. Should take 3-4 hours each.
    Make sure to cycle to Col d'Aubisque via Col du Soulor. Absolutely amazing views.

The whole area is beautiful and you'll enjoy it regardless where you go.

• Advertisement

strmin wrote: »
    Cirque de Gavarnie and Lac de Gaube from Pont d'Espagne are two must do easy hikes. Should take 3-4 hours each.
    Make sure to cycle to Col d'Aubisque via Col du Soulor. Absolutely amazing views.

The whole area is beautiful and you'll enjoy it regardless where you go.

Thanks for the tips. Back in my mountaineering days often heard about Gavarnie for ice climbing. Never got there but will enjoy a look around this time

Advertisement