Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Health Insurance - Pre existing condition?

• 17-01-2020 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Just trying to clarify something, in the terms and conditions for my VHI plan it says pre-existing conditions have a waiting time of of 5 years, but it says "out patient medical expenses" have no waiting time.

So if I have a pre-existing condition of nasal blockages and I require an outpatient treatment to have scar tissue cauterised, would it be covered or not? It's a pre existing condition, but it's also an out patient medical expense?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You need to contact your insurer and confirm. Get it in writing. What I'd also recommend doing is getting your doctor to send in a pre-authorisation form before carrying out the procedure, to confirm 100% it is covered.

My sister was told over the phone that she was covered for a procedure in a similar situation to you, but then after she had the procedure done, her insurer wouldn't pay the hospital, and now her insurer is saying she wasn't covered, despite telling her she was. If she had had a pre-authorisation form done beforehand, it would have avoided the issue.

Advertisement