If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD-N8 replacement

Options
  • 17-01-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I bought a Denon Ceol RCD-N8 from Richersounds a few years ago and while it has served me well it's now time for a newer model - not another Denon though. The design of the remote control and that silly rocker switch on the RCD-N8 always annoyed me. That rules the Marantz Melody out too, as the remote control looks to be identical.
    So that leaves the Yamaha CRXN470. What worries me about that is that, as far as I know, it uses vTuner for internet radio and the future for vTuner is uncertain. Am I right?
    Would the Yamaha be a good replacement or do you have another suggestion? Essentials are CD player, internet radio, Airplay, Bluetooth. DAB not essential.

Thanks... Michael

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

MHP wrote: »
    I bought a Denon Ceol RCD-N8 from Richersounds a few years ago and while it has served me well it's now time for a newer model - not another Denon though. The design of the remote control and that silly rocker switch on the RCD-N8 always annoyed me. That rules the Marantz Melody out too, as the remote control looks to be identical.
    So that leaves the Yamaha CRXN470. What worries me about that is that, as far as I know, it uses vTuner for internet radio and the future for vTuner is uncertain. Am I right?
    Would the Yamaha be a good replacement or do you have another suggestion? Essentials are CD player, internet radio, Airplay, Bluetooth. DAB not essential.

Thanks... Michael
    Hi MHP.

Thanks for coming back to us.

The XN470 is a decent unit but to be honest the New Ceol or Melody are far superior.

The only other you could perhaps look over would be the Cambridge One. Doesn't have Airplay or built in internet radio though.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200696-cambridge-audio-one-black-black-mini-system-exc-speakers.aspx

There isn't a lot of selection in the Mini HiFi at the moment unfortunately if you taker out the Melody and Ceol.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Thanks Kenny.
    What about the newer Yamaha model MCR-N470D? How does that compare to the Denon/Marantz and do you stock it?

Thanks Kenny.
    What about the newer Yamaha model MCR-N470D? How does that compare to the Denon/Marantz and do you stock it?
    Hey MHP.

The MCR-N470 seems to just be the CRXN470 with a pair of Yamaha speakers.
    There are no difference that I can see in the spec between the two head units.

Okay. Thanks for checking. As you're not recommending the CRXN470 and it's a 2017 model, can I assume that you're willing to offer it at a bargain basement price?

Okay. Thanks for checking. As you're not recommending the CRXN470 and it's a 2017 model, can I assume that you're willing to offer it at a bargain basement price?
    Hi MHP.

It's not that I'm not recommending it as it is very good at what it does but its not in the same league as either the MCR612 or RCDN10 and they do almost cost twice as much so can't really be compared.

At its price point it would be the one to go for over the Denon DM41.
    The current Euro price of 249 Euro is a great deal as its also £249 sterling.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202264-yamaha-crxn470d-black-streaming-mini-system-exc-speakers.aspx

It's also the current model even though it was first produced in 2017.
    It has went several firmware updates over the years to add in MusicCast etc...
    Yamaha have not had to change the unit itself as it does what it is meant to.

Any questions please let me know.

• Advertisement

I think I'll go ahead with ordering the Yamaha (black). Delivery to Dublin will cost me how much?

I think I'll go ahead with ordering the Yamaha (black). Delivery to Dublin will cost me how much?
    Hey MHP.

The current 249 Euro delivered would be the best I cold offer on it as that makes it much cheaper than the £249 sterling list price.

Okay. I'd like to add a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers, if available, to the order. So the order will be:

Yamaha CRXN470
    Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers

Delivery to Dublin.

Okay. I'd like to add a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers, if available, to the order. So the order will be:

Yamaha CRXN470
    Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers

Delivery to Dublin.
    Hey MHP.

The 9.0 are priced at 49 Euro but listed as an in-store only collection.

However I will bend this rule and allow them to be shipped along with the Yamaha.
    Total would be 298 Euro delivered.

You might also require some speaker cable for connecting them together if you do not already have some?
    I could offer to throw in 2 or 3 meters free of charge to help.

If you are happy to proceed drop me your contact number in a PM and we can give you a call for some details.

Thanks Kenny.

Yes, I'd appreciate some cable. If the Wharfedales need banana plugs could you add them to the order (I'll pay for those).

PM sent

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny.

Yes, I'd appreciate some cable. If the Wharfedales need banana plugs could you add them to the order (I'll pay for those).

PM sent
    Hey MHP.

You can use Banana Plugs with the Wharfedale's  but I think they might be over kill on them.

The cheapest plugs we do are 6.49 Per Pair. - I could offer them at 5.70 Euro per pair.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202337-cambridge-audio-4mm-banana-plugs-v2-speaker-cable-banana-plugs-per-pair.aspx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.