Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

One company in new Zealand. Change the script

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's what they're trying to do. Clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A bit more than one - or are Microsoft some kind of lefty, hippies?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50287391

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know they have to do it but these speeches add nothing really.

I agree that they can be pretty turgid but the record of the national parliament is quite important.

It's sort of the bedrock of democracy and vital to future historians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite a few Indys voting for MM as Taoiseach, Cathal Berry, Marian Harkin I heard.

• Advertisement

Quite a few Indys voting for MM as Taoiseach, Cathal Berry, Marian Harkin I heard.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I didn't hear CB but M Harkin said in her speech she was "lending" her vote to MM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah come on, are you being selectively stupid? People voted in droves for Sinn Fein to try force a change of guard
    What % voted for SF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

elperello wrote: »
    I agree that they can be pretty turgid but the record of the national parliament is quite important.

It's sort of the bedrock of democracy and vital to future historians.

I don't believe the mumblings of DH Rae for example, will be of too much importance to future historians.

• Advertisement

Came out 93 Tá, 63 Níl agus 3 staonadh

Must have been 8 or 9 indys then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1276847258844172289

I don't believe the mumblings of DH Rae for example, will be of too much importance to future historians.

You would be surprised what remote corners of Dail debates and speeches can be mined for pure gold.

Every word is recorded faithfully and available online.

The Healy Rae outfit are a political phenomenon.

Michael is already a twice published author.

I'm surprised Denis Naughten abstained, they mustn't have won him over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Four day week with no loss of pay she says. Goodness gracious

Who said that?

I'd love a four day week

Ha, brand new Lexus LS Hybrid on stand for the Taoiseach. #virtuessignalling

Ha, brand new Lexus LS Hybrid on stand for the Taoiseach. #virtuessignalling

Looking very well too :)

Nice product placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Technically he would have been elected without the Greens. yet still SF bots are all over social media convincing themselves this isn't democracy

elperello wrote: »
    You would be surprised what remote corners of Dail debates and speeches can be mined for pure gold.

Every word is recorded faithfully and available online.

The Healy Rae outfit are a political phenomenon.

Michael is already a twice published author.

Oh they would be up to their necks in something alright, but it ain't gold.
    They are good at playing the system. There isn't much phenomenal about that imo.
    As for getting published, that in itself isn't really something of note.

Double post

• Advertisement

Technically he would have been elected without the Greens. yet still SF bots are all over social media convincing themselves this isn't democracy

They really need to move on and fast.

Yes, SF have a few savvy operators, but I wonder do they have the depth to mark the cream of FF and FG in cabinet? There'll be big dogs left with no job and so non-performers will feel the heat very quickly indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Latest reports suggest Stephen Donnelly, Norma Foley and Darragh O'Brien will all be in the Cabinet, while, as expected, Helen McEntee will be promoted to the senior ranks.

McEntee first to be confirmed, as Minister for Justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

McEntee first to be confirmed, as Minister for Justice.

Saw that in the other thread and big step up from European affairs.

Cowen to Agriculture, Darragh O'Brien to Housing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stephen Donnellys election leaflets etc were all about healthcare so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he ended up in that gig.

Have a particularly strong dislike for him, not a fan of careerists who switch parties to whoever they think will get them the best position.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm afraid such appointments are just the kind of thing you would come to expect from Fianna Fail to be honest, the likes of Donnelly should be nowhere near health really. I know he's a spokesperson on Health for FF previously but what is his background in health? We know Harris was a health activist for many years from a teenager but Donnelly just screams career politician who care about themselves first and foremost.

Fianna Fail hasn't changed and those who voted for them should be ashamed of themselves, although looking at the polls since the election it seems some have already realised that. Unfortunately for the rest of us who would like to have politicians who are not spoofers and careerists running departments, we're stuck with them for a while. But at least it's not a coalition where FF are the largest party by far with some smaller ones who have little influence.

The fact that someone like MM, after all his involvement with the previous FF governments is running this country now makes me feel physically sick. Any hope that I had that he had learnt something during his time in opposition quickly evaporated when I read the ridiculous tweet about Liverpool winning the English Premier League. It showed that just like FF when they were in government last, they have no principles and are happy to jump on any bandwagon to help the party out.

That being said, I think that all of the other possible outcomes after the election were worse. I just hope that FG and the Green Party's presence is enough to water down FF to an extent where they are less harmful to the progress that our great country has made since they were kicked out of office.

Fianna Fail's Darragh O'Brien has been giving Housing apparently, another baffling appointment for someone with no background for the post that they have been handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Simon Harris is to become Minister for Higher Education & Research with Stephen Donnelly confirmed as Health Minister.

Heather Humphreys is Minister for Rural Affairs & Social Protection.

Just breaking: Hildegarde Naughton of FG is becoming a Super Junior Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

devnull wrote: »
    Fianna Fail's Darragh O'Brien has been giving Housing apparently, another baffling appointment for someone with no background for the post that they have been handed.

He was the FF spokesperson for Housing since 2016 but can't say he made much of an impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Norma Foley will be bringing the goodies home to Kerry, Healy Raes sidelined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Awarding a Super Junior, or even a Junior at all, to a Senator is interesting as it has never been done before. I believe this gives Hackett the right to address the Dáil the same way the Ministers who lost the seats did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's depressing looking at the map of the constituencies of the members of cabinet, the west of the country has been completely ignored.

I was watching the speeches and was finding them boring until I realized that all of the other party members addressing them are saying the same thing. They are all left wing with some more than ever.

It's a right wing government with left wing opposition
    We all know the greens are right wing from their time in government

New day for Irish politics . Right v left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Darragh O'Brien should give us some entertainment for the next few years.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Norma Foley will be bringing the goodies home to Kerry, Healy Raes sidelined.

Don't you believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

L1011 wrote: »
    Awarding a Super Junior, or even a Junior at all, to a Senator is interesting as it has never been done before. I believe this gives Hackett the right to address the Dáil the same way the Ministers who lost the seats did.

A Senator has twice been made a Cabinet Minister. Garret Fitzgerald appointed Jim Dooge to the Seante and then made him Minister for Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Simon Harris is to become Minister for Higher Education & Research with Stephen Donnelly confirmed as Health Minister.

Heather Humphreys is Minister for Rural Affairs & Social Protection.

Just breaking: Hildegarde Naughton of FG is becoming a Super Junior Minister.

Boxer Moran didn't do too well after last appointment

Water John wrote: »
    A Senator has twice been made a Cabinet Minister. Garret Fitzgerald appointed Jim Dooge to the Seante and then made him Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Yes, but no Junior prior

Catherine Martin's brother appointed to the Seanad. Not nepotism at all at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I'm afraid such appointments are just the kind of thing you would come to expect from Fianna Fail to be honest, the likes of Donnelly should be nowhere near health really. I know he's a spokesperson on Health for FF previously but what is his background in health? We know Harris was a health activist for many years from a teenager but Donnelly just screams career politician who care about themselves first and fore.

Fair play to Donnelly for even wanting it.

Róisín Shorthall with all her talk about Sláinte Care ran a mile from it when it was the Social Democrats for the taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

L1011 wrote: »

You would have to wonder if it is oversight (hardly) or deliberate snub.

You would have to wonder if it is oversight (hardly) or deliberate snub.

Completely and utterly deliberate. Gets a Ryan loyalist in the room.

I had to laugh at some of the opinions on RTE earlier, where one FF person said that Martin is someone who likes to think things through carefully and not rush into a decision straight away and have a long and hard think as that is a good thing,, when the whole narrative around him has been that he is a ditherer which she pretty much confirmed.
    I was watching the speeches and was finding them boring until I realized that all of the other party members addressing them are saying the same thing. They are all left wing with some more than ever.

It's a right wing government with left wing opposition
    We all know the greens are right wing from their time in government

New day for Irish politics . Right v left.

Makes me laugh when people call FF and FG right wing, they're nowhere near full right wing parties, they're centre right, not fully fledged right wing. The only true right wing party in Ireland in recent years is Renua.

Proper right wing parties like National Rally in France, Alternative for Deutchland in Germany, Law and Justice in Poland, Legia Nord in Italy and Fidesz in Hungary. They are in another league from FF and FG.

I often hear people compare Fine Gael to the Conservatives in the UK and say they are in the same place when they absolutely are not. Fine Gael are far more progressive and closer to the centre than the Tory party.

Any ministers west of the Shannon ?

I had to laugh at some of the opinions on RTE earlier, where one FF person said that Martin is someone who likes to think things through carefully and not rush into a decision straight away and have a long and hard think as that is a good thing,, when the whole narrative around him has been that he is a ditherer which she pretty much confirmed.

Makes me laugh when people call FF and FG right wing, they're nowhere near full right wing parties, they're centre right, not fully fledged right wing. The only true right wing party in Ireland in recent years is Renua.

Proper right wing parties like National Rally in France, Alternative for Deutchland in Germany, Law and Justice in Poland, Legia Nord in Italy and Fidesz in Hungary. They are in another league from FF and FG.

I often hear people compare Fine Gael to the Conservatives in the UK and say they are in the same place when they absolutely are not. Fine Gael are far more progressive and closer to the centre than the Tory party.

They're right wing on the domestic scale. Further right parties get 2% max, so don't exist.

The Democrats in the US are on the left there; but are to the right of FG a lot of the time.

I didn't say they weren't centre right. That's taken as a given. They are on the right of the spectrum. Slightly but still right.
    The opposition parties are all slightly to the left with some more than others.

Theres more in the world than just extremes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lots of failed TDs on the senator list tonight. Some campaigned to abolish the Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

35XYu.jpg

Any ministers west of the Shannon ?

Draw a line from Kerry to Cavan and there is no Ministers representing this region. Its basically half the country. This is not going to go down well.

Lots of failed TDs on the senator list tonight. Some campaigned to abolish the Seanad.

I guess it was a strategic decision to put Dooley there, could come in useful if they need an extra vote over and beyond their numbers present for some reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement