Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone PAYG Data Topup?

Options
  • 17-01-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Ironically because I am reasonably tech aware/savvy, I do most of my computing on multiple Desktops, Laptops, iPads, Media Servers, Kodi boxes etc in the house and so when at home or even in work which is next door on the same Ethernet and WIFI home network as home, theres always been a device I'd prefer to use for a given computing task over a Smartphone.

The last phone I bought for myself was an iPhone 3gs in 2009 !! :D Ever since, I've just used Hand-me-up smartphones from siblings as they upgraded theirs over the years.

Never bothered configuring them much or customising them or learning much about Android or learning about Network call or Data tariffs etc because I was really just using them as a phone, text, calculator, watch.

While I did anticipate needing to use the smartphone functionality away from the home devices and network on rare occasions, it wasn't enough to warrant a Billpay or even PAYG Data bundle, so I planned to just turn on Cellular Data if ever I needed it and incur O2's/Three's 99c per day Data tariff. The problem was that I always forgot to turn Cellular Data back off and so a week or so later after turning cellular data on for some reason, I'd find all my phone credit gone as 99c per day chipped away at it.

Latest Hand-me-up Samsung Note 4 died the other day and I switched provider to Vodafone and bought a Samsung A10 for €99. Really happy with the phones speed, its screen (was worried about LCD and 1500x700 res but its grand) and its size. Slightly larger screen than the Note 4 but the same physical size phone which actually fits perfectly in my Note 4 Leather Wallet holder (Just need to cut out a new slot for differently positioned camera)

My question because I haven't spent the last 10 years learning everything there is to know about Smartphone usage or data plans etc for the reasons outlined above, is if there is a setting to tell the phone to only use cellular Data when it cannot detect the Home/Work WIFI network and is there a way to insure apps only update when the phone is connected to my WIFI networks and not when I am away from Home/Work. If I can do that, then I think even Vodafones 1GB Data Bundle that lasts 28 days and costs €5 would cover any of my rare away from home Cellular data needs. Found my WIFI Data usage for the last 20 days and it was only a Gig and thats after all the apps and updates when I set up the new phone and apps transferred from the cloud backup of the old broken Note 4. ie. Vodafones €5 1 GB data Topup should be more than enough for my needs.

No more turning on 99c per day cellular data, forgetting to turn it back off and finding my €15 credit gone 15 days later without ever making a call or text.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I groan when I read a long question/post by someone and say to myself, "Google is your friend dumbass!!"

Guilty as charged!

I am a dumbass!!

Google Play Store left slide out menu->Settings->App Download Preference->'Over WIFI only'.

At least I have the common sense to post the solution for future dumbasses or indeed googlers rather than simply posting, "NVM, found the answer myself'.

So at least I am not a TOTAL Dumbass!! :D:D

Advertisement