Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury duty and work payment

Options
  • 17-01-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am currently on a jury having being selected for a trial.

I am employed and obviously missing my working days by being off.

I informed my HR dept and Manager and also submitted the letter supplied by the court to cover my time off and prove my whereabouts.

By doing the duty, I am missing three 12 hour shifts (11 paid one lunch hour)but when I checked in on my online HR page, my working days are down as Jury Duty days but I am only being paid for 7.17 hours.

Surely I cant be expected to lose 4 hours for every day Im there, would my work place not have to honour the hours I would be working if I wasnt on jury duty?

If anyone has experience of this could you please advise?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Your employer has to pay you your normal wage for all contracted and/or rostered hours you missed due to jury service. If you were originally rostered for those 3x11 hour shifts and had to miss them due to jury duty, or you are contracted for 33 hours per week, you must be paid for all of those hours which you missed due to your jury service.

Per the Juries Act 1976:
    29.—(1) For the purposes of any contract of service or apprenticeship or any agreement collateral thereto (including a contract or agreement entered into before the passing of this Act), a person shall be treated as employed or apprenticed during any period when he is absent from his employment or apprenticeship in order to comply with a jury summons.

(2) Any provision contained in any such contract or agreement shall be void in so far as it would have the effect of excluding or limiting any liability of the employer in respect of the payment of salary or wages to the employee or apprentice during any such absence.

I'd speak to your HR department first, though; it's very possible it is just a misunderstanding or error on their part and will be easily corrected once you bring it to their attention. If they refuse to correct it, though, or retaliate against you for your jury service or for asking for the pay you are owed, you can contact the Workplace Relations Commission to file a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HalfBlues

Did jury a few years ago my employer wasn't aware I was to be paid at all she thought the courts paid me lol grt onto hr it's prob a mistake

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi there,

I am currently on a jury having being selected for a trial.

I am employed and obviously missing my working days by being off.

I informed my HR dept and Manager and also submitted the letter supplied by the court to cover my time off and prove my whereabouts.

By doing the duty, I am missing three 12 hour shifts (11 paid one lunch hour)but when I checked in on my online HR page, my working days are down as Jury Duty days but I am only being paid for 7.17 hours.

Surely I cant be expected to lose 4 hours for every day Im there, would my work place not have to honour the hours I would be working if I wasnt on jury duty?

If anyone has experience of this could you please advise?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure you're not being paid for 5 days, 7.17 x 5 is just shy of 36hrs.

Advertisement