Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking a girl out at work

• 17-01-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Has anyone (particularly males) asked a girl out at work before and how did it go? There’s a girl I work with and anytime I see her/she sees me we always hug. She’s single a few months. Is that a sign ? Afraid of asking for a drink in case they say no and then it’s all awkward!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would never ask anyone at work as it can get all messed up if it goes wrong. Although in saying that I know a good few people who have met their partners at work. So it depends on you if you want to take the risk!

It sounds like she likes you as a friend so maybe arrange to meet up with her with just you two. Maybe a tea/coffee after work and maybe ask if she ever thought about going out with someone from work. If you can't ask her out for even a tea or coffee, ask her at work if ye get alone time together.

If she says no, then you have an answer without committing too much. Then you just say a friend was asking you about it!

If she says yes then you can say what about me? This way you get an answer without going too far before you know where you stand. She might say yes but I would never actually do it. Or yes and I have thought about you too! Or yes I thought you never would ask!

Thats how I would go about it anyway if I was doing it. You have to read carefully or else work gets compromised and then it gets awkward!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

If you have a long enough lunch break and can leave your workplace to go out, maybe casually ask if she’d like to head out for lunch with you one day

If that goes well then suggest a date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Don’t do it. There’s a saying that escapes me now but basically don’t **** where you eat.

Say you ask her out, she says yes. 6 months down the line, it fizzles out, nobody’s fault. You break up. Now you have to see your ex everyday.

Say it doesn’t even last that long, it’s 2 months, and you realise, actually she’s a bit of a ****. Or vice versa, she thinks your a dick. Now you have to see that ex everyday.

It is absolutely not worth it and there are plenty more women in this world to ask out. There is a world of women to ask for a coffee, go see a movie or ask out for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Has anyone (particularly males) asked a girl out at work before and how did it go? There’s a girl I work with and anytime I see her/she sees me we always hug. She’s single a few months. Is that a sign ? Afraid of asking for a drink in case they say no and then it’s all awkward!

I did it once. We're now married 7 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Any advice or words of wisdom ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Don’t do it. There’s a saying that escapes me now but basically don’t **** where you eat.

Don't dip your pen in the company ink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Any advice or words of wisdom ?

Just don't get too invested in it. I know it's easier said than done, but if you don't get the answer you want, it will be easier to continue your friendship (and avoid any awkwardness) if you can brush it off and carry on as before. Harder to do that if you build this up for weeks into a massive thing, as some people do.

If you do hit it off and end up going out, I'd keep a low profile for a while too, at least until you're past that first few months where you're still getting a feel for whether a relationship will work or not. We actively avoided going out in our home town in case we bumped into work staff, neither of us wanted to be the subject of office gossip. Was a great excuse for lots of day trips to different places :). One guy and girl in our office started going out, made it extremely public on facebook statuses and the like immediately, and a fortnight later they finished things on a bad note and now don't speak - so there was a lot of ammo for the gossipers in the office. Exercise subtlety!

We aren't the only people in our organisation (circa 250 staff) to hit it off - there's another 4-5 couples, and a few of them are married.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Ha me too, will be 4 years in a couple of months, best thing I ever did was ask her out for a drink :o

OP - go for it. Life is too short. Take Man of Mystery's good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's easier get over embarrassment than a crush!

Do it, you only like once and if you get rejected it isn't the end of the world. So many of the best couples I know, met at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

How did you get on OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement