Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it's flipped my world on its head.

• 18-01-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is quite difficult to write.

I'm 22.
    After long suspecting something was 'different' about me, I've been diagnosed with ADHD (Inattentive).

This hasn't really come as a shock but it's going to change things.
    I'm in the process of getting on medication for it.

Long story short - I'm in a business course I don't care for.. I'm just here because it's easy.
    I've dropped out and changed from so many courses that I'm 22 and still a 2nd year.

I always wanted to study medicine, always.
    I made every effort to study and I honestly just couldn't.
    Now having a diagnosis it all makes sense.

But where does that leave me?
    More importantly, where does it leave me if I want to become a doctor?

Should I complete my current degree (2.5 years left), even though I don't care for it in hopes of getting into post grad medicine?
    Should I try and get in as a mature student?
    Should I repeat the Leaving?I know it sounds daft but I'm really considering it.
    I came out with 425 points last time round, never showed up let alone opened a book, I'm under no illusion that that's a sh*t result.

How could I even begin to afford it if I got in?
    I'm saving like a devil at the moment but I've wasted 2 years of government contribution..
    So I'm paying full wack IF I get in.

I've tried so many courses and it's just left me realising I have no interest in any of them other than medicine.
    But where does that leave me?

I know if I got the ADHD managed I'd be capable of getting in..
    I don't know if I could realistically afford it.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Is there someone in the college that you currently attend, to whom you could chat about your options?

Give yourself a chance to absorb the diagnosis. My knowledge of ADHD is relatively limited but it's good that you feel it explains some things, for you.

All the best.

Advertisement