Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

I got my whooping cough vaccine today and the nurse checked me out while I was there (she’s a midwife also). We heard a heartbeat so I feel much better.

Girls, just a question about bloods. I got them done at 8 and 13 weeks, I presume I’ll be getting them done again when I’m back with my consultant in 2 weeks. I’m just wondering how frequently ye are getting them done? My iron dropped around 24 weeks the last time so I’m expecting the same again this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

awny wrote: »
    I got my whooping cough vaccine today and the nurse checked me out while I was there (she’s a midwife also). We heard a heartbeat so I feel much better.

Girls, just a question about bloods. I got them done at 8 and 13 weeks, I presume I’ll be getting them done again when I’m back with my consultant in 2 weeks. I’m just wondering how frequently ye are getting them done? My iron dropped around 24 weeks the last time so I’m expecting the same again this time.

I only got bloods done twice with my last child (4.5 years ago) - once at 12 weeks and then once at 28ish I think? I've had booking bloods done and not heard peep from the hospital about any results or anything, and am not due to see my consultant for the first time until the end of June (so 14 weeks at booking and about 22/23 weeks at next visit) and I've no idea what's being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

awny wrote:

That's great news! Always so reassuring to hear the heartbeat :)
    awny wrote:

I'm getting bloods done regularly approx every 4 weeks because I have an underactive thyroid and the Drs keep adjusting my meds. If they were happy with your bloods at 8 and 13 weeks maybe they don't see the need to take them again but it's worth requesting to have them done when you see the consultant in 2 weeks, tell them that your iron dropped last time and you'd like to be checked and hopefully they will hear you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I got them done quite frequently from about 28 weeks last baby because my iron was too low. I tend to haemorrhage during birth too so I remember them saying they wanted to get my iron up as much as possible.

So far I’ve just had them done at 12 weeks. I’m 18 weeks now and I don’t think I’ll be getting them done until 32 weeks in theory but going to request them to be done earlier.

Thanks all. I got them done fairly regularly during my last pregnancy, I think it was maybe one visit where they didn’t do them. I was just wondering if there was a defined schedule.

Cameoette, that’s sounds tough re the haemorrhage. Can they do anything else before hand for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

I had my bloods done in February and I have an underactive thyroid so was told my levels are good and get bloods again when I'm in for anomoly scan. I've been medicated for underactive for 15 years and the only time my thyroid settles is when I'm pregnant it's crazy! I'll get my bloods done next week and then I'd imagine when I'm back in clinic in June the consultant may request them then

Plum Pud wrote:
    I had my bloods done in February and I have an underactive thyroid so was told my levels are good and get bloods again when I'm in for anomoly scan. I've been medicated for underactive for 15 years and the only time my thyroid settles is when I'm pregnant it's crazy! I'll get my bloods done next week and then I'd imagine when I'm back in clinic in June the consultant may request them then

Wow that's mad isnt it, my levels go haywire when pregnant, I've had my eltroxin dose adjusted up and down all over the place every 4 weeks since Jan, had been totally stable for a year previously.

Yea it's mad Cash Q, it's one other reason I love being pregnant 😂

Fatboy69 how did you get on at your scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Thanks all. I got them done fairly regularly during my last pregnancy, I think it was maybe one visit where they didn’t do them. I was just wondering if there was a defined schedule.

Cameoette, that’s sounds tough re the haemorrhage. Can they do anything else before hand for you?

I don’t think so awny, other than have my iron levels in good nick before delivery. Although they are never really great and I always felt super anaemic afterwards especially first baby. I didn’t require a transfusion either time before as I was just under the threshold, so that was good at least!

Cameoette wrote: »
    I don’t think so awny, other than have my iron levels in good nick before delivery. Although they are never really great and I always felt super anaemic afterwards especially first baby. I didn’t require a transfusion either time before as I was just under the threshold, so that was good at least!

Fingers crossed this time so. Ladies, there’s a program called Life&Birth started last night on BBC at 8pm. It’s on Tuesday’s for the next 5 weeks. It’s like one born. Worth a watch!

• Advertisement

awny wrote:
    Fingers crossed this time so. Ladies, there’s a program called Life&Birth started last night on BBC at 8pm. It’s on Tuesday’s for the next 5 weeks. It’s like one born. Worth a watch!

Ooh great must start watching, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Rang my GP to make an appointment as hospital told me to book in this week. I was told they're not seeing anyone for antenatal appointments until 24weeks and after.

I was last in with consultant 5 weeks ago and not due back for another 5 weeks. 10 weeks seems like a very long gap without anyone checking up on things.

I was last in with consultant 5 weeks ago and not due back for another 5 weeks. 10 weeks seems like a very long gap without anyone checking up on things.

Maybe ring the hospital and tell them your GP is refusing to see you and see what they advise. I've heard lots of these situations unfortunately, even though GPs are supposed to be providing routine medical care.

I'm seeing my GP in 4 weeks as advised by the hospital on my last visit, I'll be 23 weeks at the time. Back in the hospital 4 or 5 weeks after that

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Maybe ring the hospital and tell them your GP is refusing to see you and see what they advise. I've heard lots of these situations unfortunately, even though GPs are supposed to be providing routine medical care.

I'm seeing my GP in 4 weeks as advised by the hospital on my last visit, I'll be 23 weeks at the time. Back in the hospital 4 or 5 weeks after that

Yeah I might say to diabetic midwives when ringing in my bloods. I have only seen my GP when first found out. I seen consultant at 14 weeks. He said book GP in 5 weeks and back to him in 10. Anomaly scan is not till 22 weeks so another 3 weeks away.

I've been in for bloods lots but no-one has checked urine, BP or baby. Those visits have stopped now that I'm monitoring bloods at home.

I know chances are everything is ok. I just wouldnt mind someone checking. Especially baby. I think I'm feeling movement but still not 100% sure. Reassurance would be nice is all.

Rang my GP to make an appointment as hospital told me to book in this week. I was told they're not seeing anyone for antenatal appointments until 24weeks and after.

I’ve heard that aswell Hazelnut Button. Totally mad. Cash Q is right, I’d ring the hospital and see what they say.

I know there is a pandemic but I don’t think ante natal care should be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

Morning ladies!

I have my 20 week consultant appointment next week (public). The anomaly scan won't be done this day but I was just wondering in your experience if they usually give you a little scan at this appointment? The letter states that a scan isn't always given that day but I'm hopeful that there's a chance I'll get a look!

Hey anfield , not sure where you're attending but I'm in the Coombe and any appointment in the consultant clinic you have a scan, it's just a mini one, no photos but a scan none the less. I had one at 16 weeks, I have anomoly next week at almost 22 weeks and then I'm back with the consultant early June so I'd imagine again there will be a mini scan at that too.

Hoping you get one next week :) have you a date for your anolomy yet?

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Hey anfield , not sure where you're attending but I'm in the Coombe and any appointment in the consultant clinic you have a scan, it's just a mini one, no photos but a scan none the less. I had one at 16 weeks, I have anomoly next week at almost 22 weeks and then I'm back with the consultant early June so I'd imagine again there will be a mini scan at that too.

Hoping you get one next week :) have you a date for your anolomy yet?

Thanks Plum Pud :) I'm attending CUMH. It would be so reassuring to just get a little look! Still no date for the scan and I'll be 20 weeks on Monday. Can't understand why they are so slow to send out anomaly scan dates when I got the booking visit, consultant appointment etc so fast after visiting my GP to confirm pregnancy back in Jan

anfield90 wrote: »
    Thanks Plum Pud :) I'm attending CUMH. It would be so reassuring to just get a little look! Still no date for the scan and I'll be 20 weeks on Monday. Can't understand why they are so slow to send out anomaly scan dates when I got the booking visit, consultant appointment etc so fast after visiting my GP to confirm pregnancy back in Jan

Anfield90, would it be worth ringing them again on Monday? I’m going to ring them myself next week. I’m going to make a nuisance of myself until I get a date :p I’ve a little boy at home and my husband will need time off work to mind him since grandparents are not available. This short notice business isn’t all that suitable.

I spoke to diabetic midwife today when ringing in my bloods about GP not seeing me. She said provided I felt ok and didn't have any previous blood pressure issues she wouldn't be too concerned.

It's all a bit mad. Bring on the 14th of May for the anomaly scan. Hopefully all is as it should be.

• Advertisement

I spoke to diabetic midwife today when ringing in my bloods about GP not seeing me. She said provided I felt ok and didn't have any previous blood pressure issues she wouldn't be too concerned.

It's all a bit mad. Bring on the 14th of May for the anomaly scan. Hopefully all is as it should be.

That’s a pity that they couldn’t accommodate you, you would think tho that if GP couldn’t see you someone would. :mad:

I’m sure all is fine anyway, not long until the 14th May. I’m back with my consultant on the 5th and literally counting down the days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

I thought it was normal as part of going public that you don't see the GP until 24 weeks.
    I had my dating scan week 13 and next time i'll be seen is 22 and 23 weeks. then the GP visit the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    I thought it was normal as part of going public that you don't see the GP until 24 weeks.
    I had my dating scan week 13 and next time i'll be seen is 22 and 23 weeks. then the GP visit the week after.

It's taken in turns. The GP visits are meant to be in between hospital visits. I was seen at 14 weeks for booking, then I see my GP at 18 weeks (next week) and then I see my consultant at 22 weeks. Once you hit 30 weeks, it's fortnightly so you'll be seen once each by the GP and the consultant/midwives in the month. At least that's how it's done in Drogheda and Cavan!

Anfield90, would it be worth ringing them again on Monday? I’m going to ring them myself next week. I’m going to make a nuisance of myself until I get a date :p I’ve a little boy at home and my husband will need time off work to mind him since grandparents are not available. This short notice business isn’t all that suitable.

I'm up in the hospital on Thursday so if I don't get my date by then I'll say it when I'm up there

My hubby got into the attic today and got down our bags of baby clothes. Was so nice going back on our small neutral stuff. Gave them all a wash and they're all good now, safe to say we won't need to buy anything new for a newborn now 😂

Plum Pud wrote:
    My hubby got into the attic today and got down our bags of baby clothes. Was so nice going back on our small neutral stuff. Gave them all a wash and they're all good now, safe to say we won't need to buy anything new for a newborn now 😂

My husband did the exact same today too!! I was surprised by how much we have, about 20 vests and 20 babygros that are neutral, millions more pink ones too! These are all tiny baby and newborn sizes, holding them up against my daughter I cant believe she was ever that small! Only found about 4 cardigans though, I must have put the others with the 0-3 stuff, theres so much more up there!

Same Cash Q, we have so much neutral tiny baby and newborn vests and grows, it's great. I did find the cardigans which was handy and we have plenty of pink too that we will have if we need it. Its so super exciting and also mad to think of the small stuff that used to fit our daughters :)

Plum Pud wrote: »

Girls quick question for Ye, since Ye mentioned about getting the newborn clothes down if Ye don’t mind!

My lb was due in April but came early and was born mid March. So when I was buying the newborn stuff I got short sleeved vests for inside the babygrows. I’d say he was in short sleeved vests until oct?

But since this baby is due in late Sept, would you recommend long sleeved vests inside the baby grows? Have all the unisex babygrows, just wondering about the vests.

I was the same Awny, my daughter arrived 3 weeks early (in May) so she was in short sleeved vests mostly. To be honest, I prefer them as she had a cardigan on too and in winter the house was always kept warm. I have a few long sleeved vest that I have and will probably only use if its cold out and we are out for a walk or what not. But short sleeves are my personal preference with a baby grow and a cardigan.

It's so hard to know for sure though isn't it

• Advertisement

Thanks Plum Pud. You’re right probably make sense to keep the short sleeves if they are wearing a cardigan. I’ll get my own hubby to start digging once the anomaly scan is over. A relative of mine got bad news at their one a few months ago so it’s in the back of my mind. There’ll be no stopping me then!!

Advertisement