Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Have an anatomy scan on Monday. Just got the call from a midwife earlier today to confirm I had no covid symptoms and that I am to come alone.

Really hoping to find out what we're having but there are signs all over the scanning department stating that anatomy scans are not gender scans and essentially not to bother the staff with the question :( We usually go for a 3D gender scan but the place is still closed and has a big backlog of appointments to get through when they're re-opening.

Here's hoping I get someone nice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Have an anatomy scan on Monday. Just got the call from a midwife earlier today to confirm I had no covid symptoms and that I am to come alone.

Really hoping to find out what we're having but there are signs all over the scanning department stating that anatomy scans are not gender scans and essentially not to bother the staff with the question :( We usually go for a 3D gender scan but the place is still closed and has a big backlog of appointments to get through when they're re-opening.

Maybe ask them if the testicles look ok, you’ll probably get your answer then !! I’ve mine next Friday. I could’ve found out the gender when I had my harmony done but didn’t bother. Now I’m sorry I didn’t!

awny wrote: »
    Maybe ask them if the testicles look ok, you’ll probably get your answer then !! I’ve mine next Friday. I could’ve found out the gender when I had my harmony done but didn’t bother. Now I’m sorry I didn’t!

Actually burst out laughing! 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is that the hospital?!I find that really rude, it's one question!Most hospitals will ask do you want to know!

shesty wrote: »
    Is that the hospital?!I find that really rude, it's one question!Most hospitals will ask do you want to know!

I thought it was odd too, but yes! Digital screens saying it is not a gender scan and gender is not part of the examination etc. I'll probably still ask if I think I can get away with it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Wow!We actually forgot to ask on 2 of ours, sonographers offered each time, obviously when it was clear to them.On one we asked,but I said if she couldn't see easily, not to worry about it.She did check for us though.They must have had some bad experiences in there!!

shesty wrote: »
    Wow!We actually forgot to ask on 2 of ours, sonographers offered each time, obviously when it was clear to them.On one we asked,but I said if she couldn't see easily, not to worry about it.She did check for us though.They must have had some bad experiences in there!!

We actually never got offered at hospital scans for the other two but since we had already found out privately, we never thought to ask either. Not the same hospital, mind you. Anatomy scans have only just been made routine here for all women so unless it has something to do with the 15 minute restriction and people wasting time trying to find the gender? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

On my first pregnancy I was telling the sonographer that I didn't want to know the gender so could she please tell me to look away when needed, she was pretty blunt in saying that that is not the purpose of the scan, but she did tell us when to look away in fairness.

I suppose they are often the first to deliver devastating news (or at least signs of such), so they are probably a bit tired of people being so obsessed about the gender in what is really an important assessment of the baby's development. That said, two friends at the same hospital were accidentally told they were having boys when they didn't want to be told.

I've my scan on Tuesday and I'm actually nervous about asking not to be told the gender in case they bite the head off me, but I really want the surprise so I'll just phrase it as obligingly as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

In the coombe, the sonographer asked me at the start did I want to know the gender. I said yes if she could see but not to worry if she couldnt. Then towards the end of the scan she asked again. So she brought it up both times. It obviously depends on hospital to hospital. as others mentioned the other parts are more important.

I was blown away again by the level of detail they check. Seen all 4 chambers of heart and the valves, parts of the brain, diaphragm, stomach, kidneys, bone length etc. It truly highlights how much of a miracle the whole thing is. Finding out the gender was a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

Was my first anatomy scan so I had nothing to compare it to but I wasn't asked at the start if I wanted to know the gender or if there was anything at all I wanted to know so I assumed I'd be asked at some stage if I wanted to know the gender. I was asked at the end then if I had any questions so I asked about gender and she said she'd have a look but baby had been in a better position earlier and she wasn't paying attention to that area because I didn't say at the start that I wanted to know the gender.... anyways I was able to find out but I know now in any future pregnancies to ask before they start the scan! And she was nice it's just they are under so much pressure with the time restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Same for me at the coombe, was asked at the very start if I wanted to know and again during the scan just to confirm if I did or did not want to know, which I didn't. If I remember correctly, on the screens in the waiting room. In the Coombe it goes through all the different scans and says at the anomoly that this is where the gender can be determined. I'm back for a follow up scan in 4 weeks so I'll just mention again at the start that I don't want to know :)

In the coombe, the sonographer asked me at the start did I want to know the gender. I said yes if she could see but not to worry if she couldnt. Then towards the end of the scan she asked again. So she brought it up both times. It obviously depends on hospital to hospital. as others mentioned the other parts are more important.

My experience is with the Coombe..must depend on the sonographer!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Cash_Q wrote: »
    My experience is with the Coombe..must depend on the sonographer!

Yeah it must. Maybe just got her on a bad day.

Ladies did Ye all find out the gender? I’m in two minds whether or not to find out at my anamoly scan Friday and tell no one... already turned down the opportunity at the harmony test but the curiosity is killing me!

No, I haven't found out and I won't. This is my second and last and I didn't find out on my first and I'll genuinely never forget that moment if being told the gender at delivery. But don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to know 😂 because like you the curiosity is killing me 😂 but we are holding out. I'd hate to find out on my own and then have to tell hubby so we are viewing it that we will both (hopefully) be at the birth to find out together

Plum Pud wrote: »
    No, I haven't found out and I won't. This is my second and last and I didn't find out on my first and I'll genuinely never forget that moment if being told the gender at delivery. But don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to know 😂 because like you the curiosity is killing me 😂 but we are holding out. I'd hate to find out on my own and then have to tell hubby so we are viewing it that we will both (hopefully) be at the birth to find out together

Like myself Plum Pud. This is baby no.2, didn’t find out on the first but I had a feeling that I was having a boy and I was right. Husband is happy to wait till baby is born. Oh man, I’m just itching to know!!

Found out on both the girls and definitely hoping to find out this time too. I love knowing, settling on their name and using it to talk to them.

Scan is at 4 today, so hopefully someone nice will let it slip :)

Found out on both the girls and definitely hoping to find out this time too. I love knowing, settling on their name and using it to talk to them.

Scan is at 4 today, so hopefully someone nice will let it slip :)

Ya hopefully you get someone nice. Keep us posted 🀞

Good luck ShaShaBear

Awny it's funny how you had that feeling isn't it? On my first, from the moment I found out I was pregnant I was convinced it was a boy the whole time but I had a girl 😂

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Good luck ShaShaBear

Awny it's funny how you had that feeling isn't it? On my first, from the moment I found out I was pregnant I was convinced it was a boy the whole time but I had a girl 😂

My husband was convinced from the start that it was a boy. He thought the baby on the screen looked like a boy at like 8 weeks🀣🀣...!! Because I went private, I had loads of scans and used to get pics after every one. One of the pics had the babies face and I thought the face looked masculine, I was fairly convinced then. This time, I showed my husband the pics and asked what he thinks, he doesn’t know. I go in between boy and girl!

My little boy will be 18 months when this baby is born, so initially I wanted a boy so they can be besties! now I’m like a girl would be great so I could stop at 2 and I’d have one of each.. to be honest I’ll be happy with either gender! I’m sure it makes things easier with names etc knowing in advance

• Advertisement

Luckily got the lovely lady who did my booking and we found out that lady number 3 will be joining us :pac: poor Daddy is very outnumbered, but the kids are absolutely delighted (mostly because my eldest is as girly as they come and thinks boys are smelly, and my youngest thought that if it was a boy, she'd have to be a big brother and she wanted to be a big sister like HER big sister :pac: )

Now we just have 20-odd weeks to battle onward for a name. We sorta used our favourites on the other two :p

Luckily got the lovely lady who did my booking and we found out that lady number 3 will be joining us :pac: poor Daddy is very outnumbered, but the kids are absolutely delighted (mostly because my eldest is as girly as they come and thinks boys are smelly, and my youngest thought that if it was a boy, she'd have to be a big brother and she wanted to be a big sister like HER big sister :pac: )

Now we just have 20-odd weeks to battle onward for a name. We sorta used our favourites on the other two :p

Aw great news ShaShaBear! Your girls must be thrilled!! Delighted you got a nice lady today and you got to find out x

awny wrote: »
    Aw great news ShaShaBear! Your girls must be thrilled!! Delighted you got a nice lady today and you got to find out x

She was very great and extremely informative too, showed me every measurement she took and what it meant. It was fascinating watching the four chambers of the heart working and we also got to see Baby draw her knees right to her chest and donkey-kick right into my bladder in protest of all the prodding :pac:

All signs point to a healthy bubs with long legs and a button nose :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

I didn't find out the gender at the anatomy scan although they did ask (in CUMH) - my partner was shocked I had the willpower to not find out! We had agreed in advance I wouldn't but he thought I would weaken during the scan - chances are if he was allowed in but would have asked eventually!

Shashabear that's so cute about your younger daughter not wanting to be the big brother :)

About 10 years ago friends of ours were having a baby much to their own and everyone else's surprise..! The expectant dad's brother was also a friend and he was messing around saying
    "I can't wait to see if I'll be an uncle or an auntie"
    One of the lads just couldn't see why we were finding this so funny!

Looking for a bit of name-related advice from you all.

We have two girls already - Abigail and Claire. Husband has declared that he LOVES the name Bree for our third. Instantly I loved it, I like how it sounds with the other two, and it flows very well with our surname.

And then I thought of the cheese (different spelling, sure, but same sound).
    Am I setting a child up for disaster with a name like that? We live in a very small town and it's pretty much the same group of children who progress from pre-school right through to 6th year, so hubby reckons that these kids will just get to know a name and it shouldn't cause issues and that a true bully will always find an excuse. I'm just apprehensive because I got picked on a lot for my own name (Alisha) which I never would have thought possible except for the regular chants of "Freak on A Leash-Ah" in secondary school. Suppose it actually proves my husband's point really, but just wondering what people's initital thoughts are?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Looking for a bit of name-related advice from you all.

We have two girls already - Abigail and Claire. Husband has declared that he LOVES the name Bree for our third. Instantly I loved it, I like how it sounds with the other two, and it flows very well with our surname.

And then I thought of the cheese (different spelling, sure, but same sound).
    Am I setting a child up for disaster with a name like that?

Nope. It’s a pretty name. I love cheese and I didn’t instantly think of the cheese! It’s not a name you hear everyday but it’s a name I’ve heard before too. I reckon it’s so important to not be too swayed by what others might think.

My son’s name is a bit unusual for Ireland, we have had every comment from people who love it to people who kind of look puzzled when we say it. I think it suits him perfectly and I’m so glad we didn’t chicken out of it!

You’ll always divide opinion especially if you go with an uncommon name but feck it.

Cameoette wrote: »
    Nope. It’s a pretty name. I love cheese and I didn’t instantly think of the cheese! It’s not a name you hear everyday but it’s a name I’ve heard before too. I reckon it’s so important to not be too swayed by what others might think.

My son’s name is a bit unusual for Ireland, we have had every comment from people who love it to people who kind of look puzzled when we say it. I think it suits him perfectly and I’m so glad we didn’t chicken out of it!

You’ll always divide opinion especially if you go with an uncommon name but feck it.

I know I'm hyper-sensitive to names and potential ridicule, which is why I thought I'd check. I feel really sure that it wouldn't pose a problem, as we are both Tolkien fans and would link the name to a place as opposed to a cheese (even though we both also love cheese :pac: )
    But at the same time, I'd be so annoyed with myself if said daughter came to me in 15 years time screaming "Why did you call me after cheese?" :o

ShaShaBear congrats on your next little girl, amazing!!

I Adore the name Bree, I think it's fab. I'm a whopper cheese fan and I certainly didn't of the name as a cheese :D I say go with it, it's really beautiful.

Cameoette now I really want to know your sons name :D

• Advertisement

Anatomy scan today in the Coombe, all perfect :) great photos and loads of 3D ones too, I asked her to try make sure I wouldn't find out the gender either and told me to look away as needed. 20 mins in total and it never felt rushed at all, she was lovely.

Advertisement