Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any TENS machines?
    I have a discount code for motherandbaby.ie so was going to try order one today. But there's a load of them on there. Was wondering if anyone could suggest one that they found useful?
    https://www.motherandbaby.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=tens

I'm a first timer so can't recommend, but my friend has given me hers so I'm hoping to try it out as they are supposed to help in the early stages.

Had my 28 week antenatal with my GP today, he was very sweet - said he really hopes for me they'll have reduced the restrictions a little more by Sept to let the Dads be there for early labour - some extra support would be good, although he said some experienced Mum's have told him their other half was more of a hindrance! Definitely fine with the idea of no visitors if they manage to reduce the restrictions for the Dads.

Got a couple of boxes of clothes from 2 friends this week so have them all washed & on the line this evening - so tiny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

quote="Lorindol31;113741340"]Anyone recommend any TENS machines?
    I have a discount code for motherandbaby.ie so was going to try order one today. But there's a load of them on there. Was wondering if anyone could suggest one that they found useful?
    https://www.motherandbaby.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=tens[/quote]

I used the OBI tens on that page on my last labour, and have lent it to friends since. I found it very helpful & will be using it again this time. I lived close to the hospital and was trying to stay home for as long as possible and it definitely helped with that. I used it successfully for a couple of hours at home, then by the time I got into the car to go to the hospital I couldn't even feel the pulses any more! But when I got there things had moved along great and I was admitted immediately with baby born 2 hours later. I really think it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Had my OGTT in the Coombe. It was torture. Almost 3 and a half hours but the fasting was tough in that humid heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Had my OGTT in the Coombe. It was torture. Almost 3 and a half hours but the fasting was tough in that humid heat.

Good luck with your results x that sounds tough ☹️
    Is it still no water either from the night before?
    I’m in Coombe early July for it.

Thank you! Yea so no water or food from midnight then you get your first bloods done and your given a drink which is like a syrupy capri sun (I missed the lucozade!!) and then you go wait in your car between each test. Torture. Oh and now you've to wait up to 3 days for the results so I had my test on Tuesday morning and I've to wait u til Thursday evening for the call.

• Advertisement

That’s a long wait for results! I think before they used to say the same day ‘if you haven’t heard from us by 6pm you’re fine’ lol

I know, that's what I was expecting. When the nurse said to me to wait to hear by Thursday evening I nearly collapsed 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Thats annoying that you've to wait so long. Nothing worse having it hang over you. Fingers crossed it will be all OK.

I'm so fed up with it this time round. Following the diet since i was 4 weeks. Food is such a chore & there's no enjoyment or pleasure to it. I started medication 2 weeks ago & had my dose increased this week so really feeling sorry for myself with regards GD.

Hazelnut that's really tough :( did you have it on previous pregnancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thank you! Yea so no water or food from midnight then you get your first bloods done and your given a drink which is like a syrupy capri sun (I missed the lucozade!!) and then you go wait in your car between each test. Torture. Oh and now you've to wait up to 3 days for the results so I had my test on Tuesday morning and I've to wait u til Thursday evening for the call.

I wonder why it's no water? When I was still on track for the GTT, the midwives told me I could have small sips of water while fasting as long as it wasn't glasses of it!

It's same-day results in Drogheda, but only if you test positive. Mine came back all-clear (the handiness of your sister being a midwife :p ) so thankfully that's as far as it goes for me there!

Hope you get good news on Thursday!

• Advertisement

Hazelnut that's really tough :( did you have it on previous pregnancies?

Yeah I had it on my daughter. Would have been diagnosed around 26-28weeks when I did the GTT. My dad is diabetic thats why I had to do it. I ended up on medication on her too. My food numbers are fine. Issue is always my fasting bloods first thing in the morning.

This time round, I started following diet as soon as I found out I was pregnant and hospital did fasting bloods from 8weeks. I asked for monitor to start testing from home around 16weeks as covid was really kicking off and wanted to avoid being in the hospital every 2 weeks. Started on medication around 24 weeks this time. Same issue as before. Food numbers are fine but fasting ones are the issue.

ShaShaBear it's a bit mad the no water, I ended up with a headache from early Tuesday am that finally lifted last night. The funny thing is in the Coombe, they only ring you if you have GD so you're left waiting. If I don't get a call by this evening then I don't have it. It used to be the same as OLOL that you'd know by the evening I'd the day of your test.

Hazelnut it's good you started the diet straight away and knew what you were doing. Was your last baby big? Do you get extra growth scans or how do they measure that side of things?

Hazelnut it's good you started the diet straight away and knew what you were doing. Was your last baby big? Do you get extra growth scans or how do they measure that side of things?

I was induced at 39weeks and she was 7lb 6oz. So perfectly average. I would have been very strict again with diet and followed everything to the letter of the law.

You do get more scans. I had one detailed growth scan on my daughter and then every 2nd appointment in the diabetic clinic I would have seen baby doc as well as endocrinologist & gotten a quick scan to check growth & amount of fluid.

That's a perfect little size Hazelnut Button, fingers crossed the next one is as dainty

Never got a call from the coombe so happy days, delighted.

That's a perfect little size Hazelnut Button, fingers crossed the next one is as dainty

Never got a call from the coombe so happy days, delighted.

That's great news Plum Pud. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sleepless nights are killing me here. I know I shouldn't be on my phone, should try meditation, should go downstairs for a while..but I'm just wrecked and restless and my mind is racing, stuck to the bed but can't nod off. Usually takes me until 5am to settle. So glad it's the weekend!

27w now and feeling big too!

Oh cash Q thats tough going. I get a few restless hours too and it's hard, I hate getting up to go downstairs so usually go on my phone too.

27 weeks for you, is it going fast for you? I'm 29 tomorrow and it's flying. I feel like I need to think about hospital bags

Insomnia here too! Our 5 year old came into us at 3am yesterday and I was awake from then. Ironically the restless 21 month old who has eczema that tends to wake him slept through like a log!! I’ve got better at not checking my phone when I’m awake but if I’m up longer than an hour my body starts expecting breakfast so I have to get up to eat! I was dead all day.

I made a list for my hospital bag so i can start gathering little bits. Trying to remember what I found useful last time. Multi mam compresses and the silver cups are going in anyway but hoping this baby won’t be tongue tied like my boy was.
    I found the combo of nursing vests and really soft maternity pj bottoms from Penney’s worked for me rather than nighties postnatal. It’s so hot on the wards that I feel cooler if my thighs aren’t stuck together :) plus for me the bottoms hold in the massive pads better too so it’s win win.

Plum Pud wrote:
    Oh cash Q thats tough going. I get a few restless hours too and it's hard, I hate getting up to go downstairs so usually go on my phone too.

I end up reading the most bizarre threads on Boards in the 'latest posts' section lol...puts me to sleep sometimes anyway!
    Plum Pud wrote:
    27 weeks for you, is it going fast for you? I'm 29 tomorrow and it's flying. I feel like I need to think about hospital bags

Yeah it has been flying on one hand but at the same time I can't believe I have 3 months left!

I kept a box of spares/leftovers from last hospital bag and went through it yesterday. I picked up a few extras in Boots yesterday, one thing I found great last were the nipplle compresses which were out of stock but another local chemist has them so I'll probably get them today. I really want to start getting packed now! Think I have everything really :)
    Cameoette wrote:
    Insomnia here too! Our 5 year old came into us at 3am yesterday and I was awake from then. Ironically the restless 21 month old who has eczema that tends to wake him slept through like a log!! I’ve got better at not checking my phone when I’m awake but if I’m up longer than an hour my body starts expecting breakfast so I have to get up to eat! I was dead all day.

Its always the way isn't it, and next time you're sleeping soundly the toddler will no doubt wake you all!

I had a few teary days this week I was just so exhausted and my toddler was cranky too so I just cried and then she was looking so confused and sad that I cried some more! Got out to see a friend and her kids that day and it made such a difference to my mood for the rest of the day. It's been a long few months of isolation so I am so glad to be able to make plans again!

My daughter has been so so excited by meeting friends babies lately, patting their heads and hugging them its adorable.

That is actually a brilliant tip about the mat pj bottoms and a vest. I have night dresses, and hate the stuck together thigh feeling too so I think I'll have to go down this route. I also hate dressing gowns so I'm thinking of just avoiding that and getting a light but very loose cardi. I made a list in my phone of things I should pack but jsut unsure if I have it all as I'll be having a planned section and most lists online are geared for Labour ward etc

• Advertisement

Plum Pud wrote:
    That is actually a brilliant tip about the mat pj bottoms and a vest. I have night dresses, and hate the stuck together thigh feeling too so I think I'll have to go down this route. I also hate dressing gowns so I'm thinking of just avoiding that and getting a light but very loose cardi. I made a list in my phone of things I should pack but jsut unsure if I have it all as I'll be having a planned section and most lists online are geared for Labour ward etc

I think the advantage of a planned section is a bit more space in our bags as we don't need a specific labour bag really! Although we will be in for longer so catch 22! I remember sweating so much last time so definitely need lots of changes of pyjamas, also initial blood loss can be so heavy that a change could well be needed if leaking. . I remember I had to be changed shortly after delivery and two midwives had me stripped and redressed in less than a minute they were incredible, so strange having someone put knickers on you when you're still numb from the epidural lol

Yea the thoughts of going back to all that is the killer. I had an emcs last time so just want a calm, controlled experience this time. The stay afterwards certainly is off putting and especially as it'll most likely fall around the time my daughter starts primary so it's all a bit mad. Definitely going to pack plenty of pj bottoms and mullions of big knickers 😂

Yeah the extended stay is not good but it'll be the only chance of some time in bed I think, toddler plus newborn in this house is going to be crazy.

It'll be hard to juggle the primary school wont it..do you have a date for your section? I'm due the 19th which is a Saturday so I'm expecting to be brought in sometime in the week of the 7th-11th. Last time I asked she just said we'll discuss it closer to the time but I'd love if it was the Thursday or Friday so my husband is using less leave to be off with our toddler. Sure it'll all work itself out anyway.

29 weeks yesterday - third trimester challenges have arrived with a bang:
    - back/sciatica pain keeping me up at night.
    - leg spasms in the early morning / middle of the night so bad I woke up screaming (drinking tonic water & eating bananas now so hopefully that'll help).
    - generally slowing down & breathlessness when I'm more than a few meters.

But on the plus side, finally getting good regular movement with the anterior placenta so happy to know my little girl is growing stronger every day.

Rebel83 wrote: »
    29 weeks yesterday - third trimester challenges have arrived with a bang:
    - back/sciatica pain keeping me up at night.
    - leg spasms in the early morning / middle of the night so bad I woke up screaming (drinking tonic water & eating bananas now so hopefully that'll help).
    - generally slowing down & breathlessness when I'm more than a few meters.

But on the plus side, finally getting good regular movement with the anterior placenta so happy to know my little girl is growing stronger every day.

The sciatica is an absolute pain and nothing ever really seems to work for it. But bananas were a lifesaver with the cramps and I can say I've managed to completely avoid them this time around so far by making sure to have one a day at least!
    Practically hyperventilate every time I trek up the 15 stairs to our bathroom :pac:

I never knew about Bananas or Tonic water for the leg cramps!

I'm 29 weeks today and I am wrecked. Agree with the trek to the loo 😂 I actually managed a full night's sleep last night, from about midnight to 6am which was nice.

Cash Q, I don't have a date for my section yet. I only confirmed at my last visit it's what I wanted so I'm not back in clinic for 3 more weeks, I don't know how or when I'll get the date but I'm assuming it's done around 39 weeks? I had pre-eclampsia last time and had my daughter at 37 weeks too so fully preparing for that to happen again this time but I'll be asking for a planned cection rather than induction if we end up in that scenario

Potassium deficiency in pregnancy is a huge cause of the leg cramps, hence the bananas! Not sure about the tonic water, though!

Epsom salt baths help too. Also has Magnesium in it. I had one today but for an entirely different reason. I'm in agony. Apologies if TMI but think I've a haemorrhoid or two. Got one on my daughter but went away and was never 2 bad. I've been in agony the last 2 days with it & feeling very sorry for myself. Keep getting shooting pains and just can't get comfortable. Think its because baby is lying so low as haven't been constipated or anything. Hubby went to the chemist and got some cream for me. Hoping it helps. Not fun at all.

Plum Pud wrote:
    Cash Q, I don't have a date for my section yet. I only confirmed at my last visit it's what I wanted so I'm not back in clinic for 3 more weeks, I don't know how or when I'll get the date but I'm assuming it's done around 39 weeks? I had pre-eclampsia last time and had my daughter at 37 weeks too so fully preparing for that to happen again this time but I'll be asking for a planned cection rather than induction if we end up in that scenario

Yes I'm fully prepared and hoping for a 37w delivery, baby is full term then so why wait any longer lol, plus it gives extra maternity leave in that your dates dont change but your baby isnt still inside you as the weeks tick by, worked out that way for me last time anyway!
    ShaShaBear wrote:
    Potassium deficiency in pregnancy is a huge cause of the leg cramps, hence the bananas! Not sure about the tonic water, though!

That's mad, outside of pregnancy I usually eat a banana every day and would feel a difference in my energy etc if I didnt, recently weeks I'm gone off them altogether and maybe eat one a week. I should probably try to get back eating them to prevent this cropping up

• Advertisement

Epsom salt baths help too. Also has Magnesium in it. I had one today but for an entirely different reason. I'm in agony. Apologies if TMI but think I've a haemorrhoid or two. Got one on my daughter but went away and was never 2 bad. I've been in agony the last 2 days with it & feeling very sorry for myself. Keep getting shooting pains and just can't get comfortable. Think its because baby is lying so low as haven't been constipated or anything. Hubby went to the chemist and got some cream for me. Hoping it helps. Not fun at all.

I've had a few of these too. Try anusol suppositories plus the cream for a couple of days, not the mos pleasant experience putting it in but helps to heal from the inside. The instructions say before bed & after each bowel movement. Hope you get some relief!!

Advertisement