Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cash_Q wrote: »
    My husband applied for his 2 weeks Paternity Leave the other day and HR got back to him today to say that the company will be paying the additional 2 weeks Parental leave in full too!!! So 4 weeks paid leave. We can't believe it, so so lucky especially as it's our second and I'm having a section so I was a bit worried about lifting the toddler etc when he's back in work. Hopefully some of your partners will be as lucky :)

Aw, that's brilliant news for you both!
    We're very lucky here, Daddy's job is very flexible and he also works locally and can pop in and out throughout his shift :o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

That's so super CashQ, love when that happens. 2 weeks paternity leave is no where near enough!! We are super lucky too, my husband get 8 weeks full pay off and hopefully he can take his parents leave in or around Christmas time. He will be working from home too so it'll be great to have him around to do school runs and that too :)

Picked up the Babylo Origin from Smyths yesterday - have to say it is a really lovely travel system for the price! Our car doesn't take ISOFIX and both our girls are long out of doubles and buggy boards so it's absolutely perfect. And let me just say, it looks far more expensive than it was! :)
    Worth a consideration for anyone looking a basic, gender-neutral set!

Just had a look at it there ShaShaBear and it looks really nice!! Happy days!

Anyone packed their bags or been thinking about packing them? I'm contemplating it because I'll be 32 weeks this weekend

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Just had a look at it there ShaShaBear and it looks really nice!! Happy days!

Anyone packed their bags or been thinking about packing them? I'm contemplating it because I'll be 32 weeks this weekend

I'm considering getting the stuff together. We're away for a small (Irish) getaway with the kids in August, so I'll probably do it when we get back - which will be 32/33 weeks as well. I've one for Junior and Senior infants so I don't want to be caught on the hop :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

That's great ShaShabear, feels so exciting to get the big purchases sorted!
    Plum Pud wrote:

I have mine packed since about 28w, I'll be 30w on Saturday. I'm having an elective section so I've done a cabin size case of all baby's clothes and all my clothes, plus a sports bag with all the bulky stuff like blankets, towels, pads snacks etc. I'm bringing as much as possible in case there are visitor restrictions. Feels good to have it all sorted, one less thing to worry about!

Same ShaShaBear, we are going in a mini irish getaway the end of the month but don't want to have to leave my bag packing till I get back which would be 35 weeks-ish. I also have one starting junior infants so I've had to get her ready, which thankfully she is now, its just down to my bag packing.

CashQ yea I think I might just do the same. It's best to have it packed and ready sooner rather than later and I am also an elective section so that'll be happening in 7 weeks realistically. Think i better get my skates on 😂

Plum Pud wrote:
    CashQ yea I think I might just do the same. It's best to have it packed and ready sooner rather than later and I am also an elective section so that'll be happening in 7 weeks realistically. Think i better get my skates on 😂

I had a mish mash of bits left over from last time and had bought some bits so once I packed I could see what was left to buy, all sorted now :)

7 weeks seems SO soon!

It's scary how soon!! I'm back in the Coombe next week for my 32 week check up and it's just crazy how fast its going. I'm equal parts ready and not ready 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Wow everyone is flying along. Does anyone have a good list that they were working from for the hospital bag?

I'm 30weeks tmrw. Haven't contemplated packing a bag yet but will definitely have to start getting sorted in the next few weeks. I think they say you should pack a bag around 32 weeks?

• Advertisement

I used the checklist in the little EUMOM booklet they give in the coombe but if you google it they're all much the same. The main things I'm bringing off the top of my head are:

For baby: first outfit including hat, nappy and cardigan in a ziplock bag, 6 vests, 6 babygros, 2 cardigans, cotton wool, nappies, wipes, 2 cellular blankets, hooded baby towel

For me: 3 pairs pyjamas, 2 nightdresses, socks, underwear, green maternity pads, Boots maternity pads, breast pads, multimam nipple compresses, lansinoh nipple cream, 3 dark towels, light dressing gown, flip flops, slippers, usual toiletries, Arnica supplement (supposed to speed up healing), lip balm, snacks, eye mask, ear plugs

I think that's pretty much it. I used the eye mask a lot last time for naps and even at night, if the bed beside you has a light on the whole ward is bright. I was beside the door too so light from the corridor came in a lot.

I brought books/puzzles last time but didn't use them at all. My slippers were absolutely disgustingly filthy when I got home so I'm bringing a pair I'll bin. Bringing separate flip flops to wear in the shower as I wouldnt want to bring all that dirt into the shower with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Definitely going to be bringing plenty of snacks especially if restrictions are still in place and I’ve no visitors! The 3 meals plus tea a day won’t cut it for me at all.

Good idea about the flip flops. Going to bring both flip flops and slippers this time. Loved having my own pillow in with me too last time.

CashQ, never thought of that about the flip flops, I'll be doing the same I think.

And just like you Cameoette, my pillow was a godsend last time too, it's definitely on the list of things to bring.

I've just read on Facebook today that the Coombe are letting one visitor on the post natal ward from 2 to 4.30pm each day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Plum Pud wrote: »
    I've just read on Facebook today that the Coombe are letting one visitor on the post natal ward from 2 to 4.30pm each day!!

no way!! Oh I'm cautiously excited this will still be the case in September :D

No way!! Amazing!! That would be all I would want anyway, we had everyone in last time, siblings, partners and of course grandparents, it's just too much.

Edit - no changes to their visitors policy on the website or Twitter..was it a post they shared or someone's experience? Trying not to get my hopes up too much. Rotunda and Holles St both allowing visitors since last week I think, surprised the Coombe are dragging their heels..

I know, I'm a bit cautious about it but a lady posted today to say she had given birth today and her partner was allowed back in at 2pm to 4.30pm to visit her on the post natal ward, he was asked all the questions at the midwife station like we are and he was told no walking around to any other areas. I've been checking their website and social media too and there's nothing so ai really hope it's true!!

Plum Pud wrote:
    I know, I'm a bit cautious about it but a lady posted today to say she had given birth today and her partner was allowed back in at 2pm to 4.30pm to visit her on the post natal ward, he was asked all the questions at the midwife station like we are and he was told no walking around to any other areas. I've been checking their website and social media too and there's nothing so ai really hope it's true!!

That is really great. Maybe they're trialling it before announcing it publicly..hopefully by Sept we will be ok for even the one designated visitor!

Yes, could be that they are trialling it.. I never thought of that. I'm in on Tuesday so I'll ask if we don't hear for definite prior to that.

Plum Pud wrote:
    Yes, could be that they are trialling it.. I never thought of that. I'm in on Tuesday so I'll ask if we don't hear for definite prior to that.

Yes that would be great if you can ask. When I had my most recent scan in June the sonographer was saying all the staff are loving the current arrangements as they can get on with their jobs much easier with less people milling about such a small hospital. If this second wave of the virus comes we might just be out of luck for visitors but hopefully they'll be able to allow partners in.

• Advertisement

Ya, I totally get it for scan and opd etc but I know my hubby would rather be able to attend the ward than the appointments and I'd rather that too. Hopefully it is true though and we miss the second wave.. Although I'm not too hopeful for thst either

Just saw this on facebook ladies... Delighted!!!

Plum Pud wrote:
    Just saw this on facebook ladies... Delighted!!!

Yay that's brilliant news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Had a physio appt in CUMH today & she said she thought it might be unlikely they'll reduce the visitor restrictions any time soon. Apparently unlike the Dublin hospitals they haven't had a case of COVID-19 in CUMH yet & they're trying to avoid getting one. Then I spotted this online this evening - looks like no Dads for the foreseeable :-(

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Visiting-restrictions-to-remain-in-place-at-CUMH-but-situation-is-under-constant-review-3ba4a2d7-a2c1-4a91-b207-d0b71dbe7612-ds

Rebel83 wrote:
    Had a physio appt in CUMH today & she said she thought it might be unlikely they'll reduce the visitor restrictions any time soon. Apparently unlike the Dublin hospitals they haven't had a case of COVID-19 in CUMH yet & they're trying to avoid getting one. Then I spotted this online this evening - looks like no Dads for the foreseeable :-(

So disheartening when others are easing things, hopefully in another few weeks they'll review their position, lots of time left, fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Rebel83 wrote: »

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Visiting-restrictions-to-remain-in-place-at-CUMH-but-situation-is-under-constant-review-3ba4a2d7-a2c1-4a91-b207-d0b71dbe7612-ds

I’m in CUMH too Rebel. I find it very unfair that in an area where they are doing well that they won’t lift restrictions even slightly ... I could get over the visiting after the baby in born but I’d like to have my husband throughout my Labour. On my first, my waters went at 7am. Went to the hospital, Labour progressed but wasn’t 10cm until 7pm and was in the second stage of Labour pushing for 4hrs and 15 mins....!! Baby was OP and I ended up with a vacuum. Delivered baby at 11:56pm.

Its a long time to be on your own. And while I appreciate that the midwifery are brilliant and my consultant will be there, it’s not the same as having your own support.

I spoke to my sister and she said OLOL are currently in talks regarding this as well. She said that it will still likely be mums only at scans and appointments, but they're hoping to adopt a similar system to Dublin with regards to visitation with the nominated person essentially signing in, given a temp check and mask and told that once they leave the ward, their visiting is "done" for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

Rebel83 wrote: »

I've heard this quite a bit that CUMH don't intend on lifting restrictions. It's very disappointing that hospitals around the country have different policies. I'm absolutley delighted for the women who can have their partners visit but it makes it's more difficult for those of us that probably won't have that option. Fingers crossed something might change by September!

We really need to start advocating on our own behalf to see if we can make a difference. Every hospital has a patient services/advocacy department so we should use them more often. For cumh I see on their website they have a section where you can leave complaints and compliments and you should use it, also include the master of the hospital too - ensure your voice is heard, it's the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

awny wrote: »
    I’m in CUMH too Rebel. I find it very unfair that in an area where they are doing well that they won’t lift restrictions even slightly ... I could get over the visiting after the baby in born but I’d like to have my husband throughout my Labour.

I'd settle for that too - I hate the thought of being on my own so long in Labour, probably feeling crappy & vulnerable.

Advertisement