Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are there many of ye not expecting a section and going for a vaginal delivery?
    Just seeing a lot of mention of 39 weeks specifically and was wondering what it was about is all :o

FTM hoping for a natural vaginal birth, nothing so far to suggest otherwise. 35 weeks today, getting so close now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've went overdue with both kids, 5.5 hour labours almost to the minute on both of them. Definitely hoping for the same this time around :p
    Apparently my options were to "be discussed" at my clinic appointment tomorrow because baby's weight had dropped from just above the 50th to just below the 10th centile. Thankfully it was figured out that the trainee sonographer made a massive error and baby's weight is still just above the 50th centile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Wow! That is a MASSIVE error, that could have had a huge impact on the continuation of your pregnancy/induction/delivery... thats a pretty serious error in my opinion. Was this sonographer working alone? As a trainee surely they should be with someone fully trained for something so important. I would be kicking up a stink if I was you, although I'm sure you're just so relieved that baby is actually ok.

Sorry just editing to add that of course a baby on 10th centile has every chance of being ok too of course, don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily, my daughter was small although I dont know what centile just outside the ones they'd be happy with and they chose to induce me at 37w based on her size, but she was and is perfectly healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Out of curiosity, are there many of ye not expecting a section and going for a vaginal delivery?
    Just seeing a lot of mention of 39 weeks specifically and was wondering what it was about is all :o

More than likely a section for me too unless I go into labour myself/baby turns head down before 39 weeks. So open to VBAC but it’s more likely a section. Heading towards a third 10lb baby so they would prefer not to go to 40 weeks. Don’t think they’d induce me given previous section.

Baby 1 was vaginal, baby 2 was section. Am apprehensive about having toddler while recovering from section though. My eldest was 4 when my second was born so this will be different!
    Hope you get your 5.5 hour labour ShaSha! That sounds kind of ideal, not too quick not too slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cash_Q wrote: »
    What happens if labour does start spontaneously before an elective section? Do we have to try for a natural birth? I would absolutely freak out, I don't want to do it myself..would they try to get me into a theatre before I make much progress? I know we cant exactly control or stop a really fast labour/birth, but the idea of it terrifies me

My daughter had a date for an elective section ( had previous emergency section and other medical issues ) Her waters broke 7 days before the section date and labour started . She rang the labour ward and told them and she was told to come in and they were ready for her and did a C section within 30 minutes of arriving .
    That was the Coombe by the way

Ps I enjoy reading this thread because I have a grandchild due in September !

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote:
    My daughter had a date for an elective section ( had previous emergency section and other medical issues ) Her waters broke 7 days before the section date and labour started . She rang the labour ward and told them and she was told to come in and they were ready for her and did a C section within 30 minutes of arriving . That was the Coombe by the way

Oh thanks for that, I'm attending the Coombe, great to hear that!
    iamwhoiam wrote:
    Ps I enjoy reading this thread because I have a grandchild due in September !

I read all the pregnancy threads, never know what bits of info you might pick up! That's so exciting about your grandchild, I could never have imagined the love between my parents and my daughter, it is so special and has changed our relationship for the better in so many ways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh thanks for that, I'm attending the Coombe, great to hear that!

I read all the pregnancy threads, never know what bits of info you might pick up! That's so exciting about your grandchild, I could never have imagined the love between my parents and my daughter, it is so special and has changed our relationship for the better in so many ways :)

Best of luck and never worry just ring them and say you are coming
    This is my third grandchild and I absolutely adore them . They are so special to us. We mind two three days a week and have such fun !

Wow! That is a MASSIVE error, that could have had a huge impact on the continuation of your pregnancy/induction/delivery... thats a pretty serious error in my opinion. Was this sonographer working alone? As a trainee surely they should be with someone fully trained for something so important. I would be kicking up a stink if I was you, although I'm sure you're just so relieved that baby is actually ok.

Sorry just editing to add that of course a baby on 10th centile has every chance of being ok too of course, don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily, my daughter was small although I dont know what centile just outside the ones they'd be happy with and they chose to induce me at 37w based on her size, but she was and is perfectly healthy!

Totally get you! They've been plotting on the GAP chart for all of my growth scans and she has been on or about the 50th for every single one! My first was 8lbs2.5 and second was 9lbs1 so we were told to expect 9 to 10lbs and I was shocked when they just marked the drop in growth. She marked me down as baby weighing 3lbs9 and at the recheck 4 days later it was 4lbs13 - big difference at 32 weeks!
    I didnt realise she was in training but it was different to my other scans. There was another woman in the room at a computer but she never seemed to double check anything. I was also told I was breech at the scan, but I knew that wasnt right either as Baby had hiccups and they were practically in my knickers!

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Totally get you! They've been plotting on the GAP chart for all of my growth scans and she has been on or about the 50th for every single one! My first was 8lbs2.5 and second was 9lbs1 so we were told to expect 9 to 10lbs and I was shocked when they just marked the drop in growth. She marked me down as baby weighing 3lbs9 and at the recheck 4 days later it was 4lbs13 - big difference at 32 weeks! I didnt realise she was in training but it was different to my other scans. There was another woman in the room at a computer but she never seemed to double check anything. I was also told I was breech at the scan, but I knew that wasnt right either as Baby had hiccups and they were practically in my knickers!

Wow, that's incredible. Any treatment or appointment I've ever attended in the Coombe the staff all introduce themselves and if they're a student they always say so. So lucky that the error was spotted too. Sounds like the trainee isn't getting much training if the other person just sits there allowing them to make such mistakes..unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Wow that is a big error but as you said luckily it was caught before anything drastic happened.

I have gestational diabetes so I'm likely to be induced around 38/39 weeks. I was induced on my daughter for same reason. Vaginall delivery just start labour early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

T I was also told I was breech at the scan, but I knew that wasnt right either as Baby had hiccups and they were practically in my knickers!

That is a big mistake ShaShaBear, glad it's all sorted out now, just no need for stress like that at all. Also feel for the trainee, being left alone like that doesn't seem fair on them at all either, not much of a training like CashQ said....
    But your hiccups line cracked my up no end this morning!

Hoping for vaginal delivery here so who knows what the countdown really is but either way it's getting close!! :D

Wow, that's incredible. Any treatment or appointment I've ever attended in the Coombe the staff all introduce themselves and if they're a student they always say so. So lucky that the error was spotted too. Sounds like the trainee isn't getting much training if the other person just sits there allowing them to make such mistakes..unbelievable

In all honesty, the entire time I've been seen so far everyone has introduced themselves to me and I've actually had the same sonographer a few times and she recognises me in the waiting room now (the one who decided to shave her head during lockdown and now has to sport a rather unassuming hat in the middle of summer makes it easy, no doubt :pac: )

I'll still be bringing it up with the consultant when I'm in today - even though I have a right porker of a baby for 32/33 weeks, it would still be far too early for her to come out in these difficult times just because someone measured her tummy wrong!

Do not look at baby clothes on Zara website. I just spent a fortune again!!

I bought loads on it just after the 20 week scan and have to say the quality of the stuff is fab. Was just browsing there and they've loads of fab new stuff. I'm gonna have to try hide this delivery from the hubby 🙈

Do not look at baby clothes on Zara website. I just spent a fortune again!!

I bought loads on it just after the 20 week scan and have to say the quality of the stuff is fab. Was just browsing there and they've loads of fab new stuff. I'm gonna have to try hide this delivery from the hubby 🙈

I love Zara for kids (and me!). Their stuff washes really well I find too. I haven’t actually bought any clothes for the kids in ages but will check it out now ;)

Is anyone else really struggling with lightning crotch pains?! Bloody hell I'm in bits here for the past hour. Waddling around. Toddler jumping on me. Can't deal with this for another 4/5 weeks!

Is anyone else really struggling with lightning crotch pains?! Bloody hell I'm in bits here for the past hour. Waddling around. Toddler jumping on me. Can't deal with this for another 4/5 weeks!

Don't have them quite yet, but I remember getting them in the final stretch with my other two once the head started to engage! The things we do to enhance the human race :pac:

No actually. But I think because baby is bum down and not head down. Had it bad on my first alright, you have my sympathies :(

I have had one or two here & there... my god they can take your breath away... but thankfully nothing too frequent. I dont think head is engaged here yet. I'm walking around fine, no waddle just yet. I dont envy you with all that. Sounds like baby is in a good position, ready to go. Wonder will you go early?

I dunno about the rest of you but i feel like I've no more room left in my abdomen. Dunno how hes gonna grow anymore.

Thanks ladies..it went on very regularly for over an hour :( and lots of pressure too, definitely feels like baby has moved down. I am only 34+4 and really want to move house before this baby comes...I suppose baby's arrival wont change the closing date for us but it would be a lot handier if I didnt have a newborn to juggle while recovering from birth as well as packing up a whole house :(

Whatever will be will be, but jeez it made for a very difficult evening shuffling around. My daughter is so good but she's hard work too. And we spent a few nights in my parents house a few weeks ago and she is totally confused by it and now doesnt enjoy being in their house shes just anxious about being left there. My brother/her favourite uncle also moved out of there recently so the most fun aspect is gone for her, otherwise I'd drop her up there every day so I can get a little break.

I know this close age gap will pay off in the long run but if I had known what it was like I would have waited another year!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

I have lightening crotch too, omg it's torture. I was in yesterday for a check up and the midwife told me to use ice packs for the lightening crotch. But I also have really bad sciatica :( I've never felt pain like it and paracetamol just isn't doing anything. I had to get my husband to get me deep heat packs and I'm waiting on a microwave heat pack to get delivered tomorrow. Also this baby isn't engaged either but I have some waddle 😂😂

Had my preassessment appt for the section yesterday too so I'm all ready to go 😂

• Advertisement

Plum Pud wrote:
    I have lightening crotch too, omg it's torture. I was in yesterday for a check up and the midwife told me to use ice packs for the lightening crotch.

Someone else recommended this today but like...its internal and short sharp pains..not sure how nice would help that? Short of making and inserting an ice dildo like?! Sorry but not sure how how an external pack would help lol
    Plum Pud wrote:
    Had my preassessment appt for the section yesterday too so I'm all ready to go 😂

Wow they're on the ball there, your baby will be here before you know it!

Hoping to get my date next week at my consultant appt, really cant bear this uncertainty!

CashQ you made me proper laugh 😂

I do hope you get your date next week... Its such a relief getting it and just being able to get really organised.. Also not happy that the coombe won't be allowing partners from kidare, offaly and laois in. Really hoping this lockdown is lifted before we, go in

Plum Pud wrote: »
    CashQ you made me proper laugh 😂

I do hope you get your date next week... Its such a relief getting it and just being able to get really organised.. Also not happy that the coombe won't be allowing partners from kidare, offaly and laois in. Really hoping this lockdown is lifted before we, go in

I just saw this Plum Pud. So disappointing :( I’m in Kildare.
    So all the partners from other counties will be there except ours. I get that they need to be careful but I am so mad at those meat plants. If they had handled this like the construction sites and shut straight away we wouldn’t be in this situation.

That's exactly it Cameoette. I will not be best pleased if I am in a ward where other woman are having their visitors as normal. I'm back in on the 25th so if its not lifted by then I'll be questioning it. Or are they planning on having a ward for for 3 County crew? I bloody doubt it!!

Really feel for you ladies from Louth/Offaly/Kildare, if there had been adequate response to the early concerns about meat plants and Direct Provision centres those counties surely wouldn't be in this mess.

With cases climbing daily everywhere I wouldn't be surprised if all visiting is cancelled again. To be honest I'd be far more comfortable if it was. I'll miss my husband of course, but having a section I'll be in for 3 nights, sharing a ward with 5 others and every other bed could potentially have a nightly turnover of someone new, even more than that if some are allowed home within hours. That's a lot of exposure to other people already without counting any visitors.

I remember the catering staff in the Coombe always encouraging us to sit together for our meals which was pointless and cramped and awkward for the most part, presume they can't suggest it now with the lack of space around the table.

I remember the catering staff in the Coombe always encouraging us to sit together for our meals which was pointless and cramped and awkward for the most part, presume they can't suggest it now with the lack of space around the table.

We had to have all of our meals in bed in the ward with one of those little wheelie trolleys the two times I was in Cavan having the girls. I assumed that was the norm! :confused:

ShaShaBear wrote:
    We had to have all of our meals in bed in the ward with one of those little wheelie trolleys the two times I was in Cavan having the girls. I assumed that was the norm!

It was in the ward alright but there's a little table over by the window and if we took our plates over to our own beds they came in giving out and told us to go back to the table! I was there for 8 nights, it happened a lot! Of all the staff in the Coombe they were the only ones I found difficult, they gave out to mothers and student midwives over the babies being handled at meal times too..."ok baby I'll have to leave you to cry, my cornflakes and white bread are here!"

Oh the memories CashQ, I can't bloody wait for that again 😂 I'd say it's all gone now though and you have to eat at your bed table... I hope so. I'm certainly not one for sitting at a communal table so I won't be doing it again ��.

Plum Pud wrote:
    Oh the memories CashQ, I can't bloody wait for that again 😂 I'd say it's all gone now though and you have to eat at your bed table... I hope so. I'm certainly not one for sitting at a communal table so I won't be doing it again ��.

Yeah I'm going to refuse this time, no social distancing possible!

Dreading the food, I'm vegetarian so very often my dinner consisted of a salad with a mixture of fruit and vegetables side by side with a huge slop of coleslaw - which I hate! I'm talking, boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced orange...wtf who puts orange with veggies?? And why the white bread at breakfast, surely we all need a bit of fibre after pregnancy and birth, white bread makes me feel so sick but sure it's better than nothing. Food in the Rotunda is meant to be unreal good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Ladies do any of Ye know anyone who has given birth recently and how did they find the no visitors rule? Was it a disaster to try shower/get a break etc

Advertisement