Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to refuse this time, no social distancing possible!

Dreading the food, I'm vegetarian so very often my dinner consisted of a salad with a mixture of fruit and vegetables side by side with a huge slop of coleslaw - which I hate! I'm talking, boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced orange...wtf who puts orange with veggies?? And why the white bread at breakfast, surely we all need a bit of fibre after pregnancy and birth, white bread makes me feel so sick but sure it's better than nothing. Food in the Rotunda is meant to be unreal good!

Oh no!!! That's a disaster. And I agree re the white bread! When are you back in? Hopefully you get your date soon. I'm 37 weeks today and I am so so done 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I must have been lucky in the Coombe before, they never made me eat at a communal table after either baby! Thank god!!! honestly I’ve no interest in chatting to anyone post birth, I’m friendly like but you do be wrecked :D And as far as I could see everyone else on my ward was the same! We said our hellos but that was it. I most certainly would not want to be knocking small talk out of other tired women while eating my overboiled egg with my sore bum sitting on a hard chair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

awny wrote: »
    Ladies do any of Ye know anyone who has given birth recently and how did they find the no visitors rule? Was it a disaster to try shower/get a break etc

Hi awny, I gave birth in May....not necessarily recent but still during lockdown. Went public so was in a 6 bed room but just 4 of us there - middle beds empty for distancing. I gave birth on the Friday morning and was discharged mid Saturday (maybe 30hrs in total) as all was ok and straightforward so found having no visitors actually ok. Could have stayed longer if needed but I wanted to get home to my own comforts.

I found the ward quiet and relaxing with the lack of visitors and dare I said it, I liked it. It gave me the opportunity to focus on figuring out how this new little human works (I’m a first time mum). The midwives were great if I had any questions or needed help. As for bathroom breaks and showers - midwives helped out no problem. I read of other mothers who requested to stay in for a day longer just so they could relax and recover in a quiet environment.

I guess it really depends on your own situation. I was lucky as my labour was straight forward, however A friend who gave birth a few weeks before me was in for about 5 days and was in a room by herself. I think I would have found that lonely so lots of things depend on the situation.

If you have family nearby, you’ll have plenty of visitors when you’re back home and the short time you had in hospital will be a opportunity for lovely quality time for you an jr.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ladies do any of Ye know anyone who has given birth recently and how did they find the no visitors rule? Was it a disaster to try shower/get a break etc

Awny I had my baby last week. All good, normal delivery no stitches. I was in a semi p room (4 beds for maybe 2 hours). The nurse told me you leave the baby at your bed and go to the loo yourself.
    There was a girl in the room who had had an epidural and couldn’t move!
    She was asking me to ring her bell etc for her as I was grand.

I got my own room after lunch and stayed 3 nights. I enjoyed every minute of it. What’s not to love.....all I had to do was fed/change baby and shower myself ;) Got to watch whatever I wanted on the tv and get all my meals handed to me!!!
    Would of stayed longer if I had the chance!!!

My husband could visit from 5-7 but he was usually late as had to organise our other 2 kids!! I would of been fine without the visits in fairness....lots of FaceTime. My issue was with him not being allowed in for the labour part :(
    Luckily he made the delivery.....just!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

awny wrote:

Plum Pud wrote:
    Oh no!!! That's a disaster. And I agree re the white bread! When are you back in? Hopefully you get your date soon. I'm 37 weeks today and I am so so done 😂

In on Wednesday so hopefully get my date then, they can't leave it any longer to tell me surely!
    Cameoette wrote:
    I most certainly would not want to be knocking small talk out of other tired women while eating my overboiled egg with my sore bum sitting on a hard chair

Gas how they only give eggs and fruit for the diabetic ladies, we weren't allowed any :P
    Dahdum wrote:
    Hi awny, I gave birth in May....not necessarily recent but still during lockdown. Went public so was in a 6 bed room but just 4 of us there - middle beds empty for distancing.

I was wondering would they have to do this, it would be really nice to have a quieter ward. I kept the curtain between myself and the next bed closed the whole time but my bed was right beside the curtain so if that lady was moving her stuff around beside her bed I could literally feel the cases banging off my bed!

• Advertisement

Gas how they only give eggs and fruit for the diabetic ladies, we weren't allowed any :P

What!! I wasn’t diabetic and I was allowed eggs and fruit! Lol the Coombe is not consistent in its approach with dinners at all 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

CUMH bound here, they haven't lifted the visiting restrictions the whole way through, so no visiting permitted by fathers after the baby is born at any time - hoping to have a smooth delivery & get home the next day. Have managed to sign up to the Domino scheme at 37 weeks & they'll come visit me at home for the 1st 5 days. Hard to believe it's getting so close - although I need to get better at my exercise ball & pelvic exercises - just so tired this week!

Cameoette wrote:
    What!! I wasn’t diabetic and I was allowed eggs and fruit! Lol the Coombe is not consistent in its approach with dinners at all 😂

That's mad isnt it, they were literally counted out for the girls and we were explicitly told not to take them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Dahdum wrote: »
    Hi awny, I gave birth in May....not necessarily recent but still during lockdown. Went public so was in a 6 bed room but just 4 of us there - middle beds empty for distancing. I gave birth on the Friday morning and was discharged mid Saturday (maybe 30hrs in total) as all was ok and straightforward so found having no visitors actually ok. Could have stayed longer if needed but I wanted to get home to my own comforts.

I found the ward quiet and relaxing with the lack of visitors and dare I said it, I liked it. It gave me the opportunity to focus on figuring out how this new little human works (I’m a first time mum). The midwives were great if I had any questions or needed help. As for bathroom breaks and showers - midwives helped out no problem. I read of other mothers who requested to stay in for a day longer just so they could relax and recover in a quiet environment.

I guess it really depends on your own situation. I was lucky as my labour was straight forward, however A friend who gave birth a few weeks before me was in for about 5 days and was in a room by herself. I think I would have found that lonely so lots of things depend on the situation.

If you have family nearby, you’ll have plenty of visitors when you’re back home and the short time you had in hospital will be a opportunity for lovely quality time for you an jr.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a mill. I’m a private patient so may be in a room of my own hopefully.

This is my second baby but my little man ended up in SCBU with jaundice and needed phototherapy. The jaundice only really showed itself up on day 3 so I think I’ll stay for 3 days to make sure baby isn’t jaundiced. I was wondering how I’d manage alone for 3 days but sounds grand x

Millem wrote: »
    Awny I had my baby last week. All good, normal delivery no stitches. I was in a semi p room (4 beds for maybe 2 hours). The nurse told me you leave the baby at your bed and go to the loo yourself.
    There was a girl in the room who had had an epidural and couldn’t move!
    She was asking me to ring her bell etc for her as I was grand.

I got my own room after lunch and stayed 3 nights. I enjoyed every minute of it. What’s not to love.....all I had to do was fed/change baby and shower myself ;) Got to watch whatever I wanted on the tv and get all my meals handed to me!!!
    Would of stayed longer if I had the chance!!!

My husband could visit from 5-7 but he was usually late as had to organise our other 2 kids!! I would of been fine without the visits in fairness....lots of FaceTime. My issue was with him not being allowed in for the labour part :(
    Luckily he made the delivery.....just!!!!

Aw congrats Millem how are you doing?! I’m in CUMH so there are no visitors allowed whatsoever and I’m private so hopefully I’ll get a room alone,

This is my second baby but my little man ended up in SCBU with jaundice and needed phototherapy. The jaundice only really showed itself up on day 3 so I think I’ll stay for 3 days to make sure baby isn’t jaundiced. I was wondering how I’d manage alone for 3 days but you are after selling it to me :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I'd say looking at the current trend with cases that visiting restrictions are likely to be imposed again.

I'm also hoping to get home to my own space as soon as possible. Last time we were there for 5 nights overall. Induction took 2 days but we had to stay for 3 days after on IV antibiotics as I spiked a temp during labour. All was OK, was just a precaution but praying that doesn't happen this time.

And the food options for diabetics in the Coombe is just awful. Don't know how anyone eats those boiled eggs they're so overcooked. Gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Aw congrats Millem how are you doing?! I’m in CUMH so there are no visitors allowed whatsoever and I’m private so hopefully I’ll get a room alone,

This is my second baby but my little man ended up in SCBU with jaundice and needed phototherapy. The jaundice only really showed itself up on day 3 so I think I’ll stay for 3 days to make sure baby isn’t jaundiced. I was wondering how I’d manage alone for 3 days but you are after selling it to me :):)

Getting on great. We were just saying going from 1-2 was so hard. Going from 2-3 is not a bother! (Touch wood).
    My other two had jaundice too. It was a pain to get rid of because they were breastfed. This baby just has very low levels apparently. In the Rotunda they do the heel prick test too if you stay 72 hours. Happy days one thing less to do.

I was private and tbh my consultant was so fantastic. He was with me every step. I really appreciated it as I didn’t have my husband
    :(

Enjoy your stay and your own room. A paw patrol free zone!!! The midwives used to always come into me for the chats! I used to get food in the middle of the night because I was starving with breastfeeding!!!
    You won’t get lonely! If you do go for a little stroll and you can push the baby in the cot if needs be. I used to see some girls doing that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Can anyone recommend a stand for the Uppababy Vista bassinet?
    Their own version is quite expensive and can't find a used one online in the area.

Lorindol31 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a stand for the Uppababy Vista bassinet? Their own version is quite expensive and can't find a used one online in the area.

I'm not familiar with it at all to make a recommendation, but maybe if you ask the likes of Tony Kielys or Eurobaby etc if there is an alternative that they'd recommend they might have an idea. I've found them helpful asking about the Out and About bits and pieces

I'm 35+4 today and was in the diabetic clinic for a check up. Blood sugars are all good thankfully. However, feeling a bit irked by the Coombe.

My blood pressure has been on the low side throughout this pregnancy and I've been feeling quite light headed at times. This has increased in frequency recently and have been getting waves of hot flushes and my heart racing with it. The first time I mentioned it in the Coombe a few weeks ago they didn't really pay any heed but what annoyed me most was they didn't even check my blood pressure.

Today I mentioned it again as I'd have a few really intense episodes over the weekend. Midwives told me to mention it to the doctor and said he would check my BP. The diabetic doc was of the opinion that it was the baby docs job to check my BP. I told him I wasn't due to see the baby doc today & he fobbed me off saying ah sure just don't get up too quickly etc. I was about to leave for the 2nd time, after voicing my concerns but without my BP checked again but I said no feck this and went back to the midwives and insisted it should be checked. It was 92/50 so definitely on the low side. Midwife sent me to get my iron checked to see if this might be the cause.

Just find it annoying that I had to insist it was investigated further and feel very frustrated at being fobbed off. I'm not one to complain or cause a fuss normally but really pissed me off today.

Just find it annoying that I had to insist it was investigated further and feel very frustrated at being fobbed off. I'm not one to complain or cause a fuss normally but really pissed me off today.

I hate the way they can be dismissive of our concerns sometimes, like they might be dealing with hundreds of pregnancies per week but we are only dealing with one, and it's all consuming. I do find them great in the Coombe in general so that's a shame to hear you had to be so insistent. Hopefully its easily solved and you're not waiting long to hear what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

I'm new to the thread, hope you guys don't mind me poking my nose in, I've been so afraid the whole pregnancy that I would lose the baby, please God this will be my 5th and I'm due to be sectioned September 7th. I'm high risk due to previous sections and also I'm an "older mom". Baby was a complete surprise as I thought I'd hit the menopause. I can't believe I've made it to the last trimester tbh. I'm mega excited as I always wanted more children, but so nervous about the possibilities of something going wrong.

Anyway, just to say to Hazelnut Button above, I've been having low blood pressure for weeks and weeks now, nearly passed out a few times, got woozy during a scan too and neither the scan Dr., the midwives or my GP have raised an eyebrow, which in a way is good, because it doesn't seem to be associated with any complications, but still it's very limiting on what I can do.

All they said was it's great it's not high blood pressure and gave me the same advice, take it easy, get up slowly, etc. I've never had this in previous pregnancies though and that doesn't obviously help when I'm having to lie down on my left side quick because like you, my heart races and I feel really weak all of a sudden. I'm taking 2 galfer a day in case it is iron related.

Anyway, just to say I feel your pain! It's tough going.

Thanks Cash_Q & morebabies. In fairness, the Coombe have been great overall and they have definitely kept a close eye on the diabetes. As you said morebabies, the fact that they're not worried is probably a good thing.

I had a call with the birth reflection service today to talk through my first labour. I had some questions and concerns around a few things that happened first time and I have to say it was very worthwhile and reassuring. If anyone is anxious or nervous about anything I would highly recommend it.

Morebabies welcome to the thread. Sorry to hear you've had such a tough pregnancy. Fingers crossed the next few weeks fly in and you'll be holding that little bundle before you know it. Its great that you have your date.

Congratulations morebabies that’s so exciting. Sorry you’ve had a tough old time but you are so nearly there! I’m delighted for you that you have your date.
    Hazelnut button I’m the exact same! Blood pressure is as low as yours. I feel dire all the time but GP as lovely as she is didn’t really give me any advice so I was going to see what Coombe said next week but now I doubt they’ll say anything new to me! It’s very annoying when you feel like you’re being fobbed off.
    I did the birth reflection with Ann too it was great! Did it almost 4 years after my first just before my second was born. Glad you found it helpful too x I’d recommend it to anyone!

Welcome morebabies, no.5 wow fair play! I always thought I would have 4/5 but finding these weeks tough going with a toddler so I think I'll be done with 2!

I also used the Reflections service in the Coombe and found it really great. I was fascinated by the level of documentation, they really noted everything in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I had my baby last week in Holles St, had a semi private room. The midwives said my husband could visit once morning checks were done after 11.30am. He stayed until 8pm most days, as did the other husbands. I think as far as the midwives are concerned, if your partner is there helping you it's less for them to do for you!

Got my date for my section woohoo!! Countdown is on :)

Millem wrote: »
    Getting on great. We were just saying going from 1-2 was so hard. Going from 2-3 is not a bother! (Touch wood).
    My other two had jaundice too. It was a pain to get rid of because they were breastfed. This baby just has very low levels apparently. In the Rotunda they do the heel prick test too if you stay 72 hours. Happy days one thing less to do.

I was private and tbh my consultant was so fantastic. He was with me every step. I really appreciated it as I didn’t have my husband
    :(

Enjoy your stay and your own room. A paw patrol free zone!!! The midwives used to always come into me for the chats! I used to get food in the middle of the night because I was starving with breastfeeding!!!
    You won’t get lonely! If you do go for a little stroll and you can push the baby in the cot if needs be. I used to see some girls doing that. :)

Yep my LB was born at 36 weeks and got jaundice and because I was breastfeeding, he wasn’t getting enough fluid so had to be topped up. He was also under the lights in SCBU! So I want to avoid that again. You sound like you are getting on great x

I had my baby last week in Holles St, had a semi private room. The midwives said my husband could visit once morning checks were done after 11.30am. He stayed until 8pm most days, as did the other husbands. I think as far as the midwives are concerned, if your partner is there helping you it's less for them to do for you!

Thanks plasticheart. Unfortunately CUMH is not allowing any visitors at all so I’ll be on my own x

That’s great Cash_Q, how exciting x

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Omg so exciting... Yay!!! Wonder will we be in the same time 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Thanks plasticheart. Unfortunately CUMH is not allowing any visitors at all so I’ll be on my own x

Oh I'm sorry to hear that

Plum Pud wrote:
    Omg so exciting... Yay!!! Wonder will we be in the same time 🀪

I'll wear a white carnation on my hospital gown so you'll know who I am :P

Awh Cash_Q that's great news. What date did they give you? You're in the Coombe right? I'm hoping to get a date for induction on the 1st. I'll be 37+4 then. Do you think they'd do a sweep? I'd love to try and start naturally myself if possible.

Awny thats crap about the visiting restrictions but wouldn't be surprised if other hospitals follow suit again.

• Advertisement

Awh Cash_Q that's great news. What date did they give you? You're in the Coombe right? I'm hoping to get a date for induction on the 1st. I'll be 37+4 then. Do you think they'd do a sweep? I'd love to try and start naturally myself if possible.

Yeah I'm in the coombe, its between week 39 and 40 ;)

I'd say if you ask for a sweep they'll either agree or tell you at what stage they will do it. It would be great if you could get going naturally wouldnt it. Not long now ladies we are on the home stretch!

Advertisement