Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Cameoette wrote:
    Got my section date thank god!!! I will be 39 weeks. Baby is head down and if the growth scan is accurate 8lbs already. I am 36 +2!

Great to have a date isnt it! Wow that's a great size if its accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Cameoette wrote: »
    No it sounds awful though!! I have sciatica and it’s driving me crazy.

Got my section date thank god!!! I will be 39 weeks. Baby is head down and if the growth scan is accurate 8lbs already. I am 36 +2!

Great to have a date. The end is in sight. 8lb is fine weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Yes! I take the growth scans with a pinch of salt, but with the first 10.4 and then second 9.14, I’d say its prob fairly on the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Hi ladies hope you are all doing well :)

My baby girl arrived this morning weighing 7lb 8oz. She is amazing 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Plum Pud wrote: »

My baby girl arrived this morning weighing 7lb 8oz. She is amazing ðŸ˜

Aw congrats!

• Advertisement

Plum Pud wrote:

Ahhh congratulations!!! First baby on the thread, amazing news!!! Hope you're both doing ok, enjoy the snuggles!

Cameoette wrote:
    Yes! I take the growth scans with a pinch of salt, but with the first 10.4 and then second 9.14, I’d say its prob fairly on the money

Yeah I always take it with a pinch of salt too but my daughter was exactly what they predicted she would be when I was scanned the day before.

Ah congratulations that's amazing news. First Sept baby is here. Hope all went well & mama and baby girl are both doing well. So exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Great news congrats!! xx

Amazing news plum pud!!!! Congratulations ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Amazing Plum Pud that's great news!! Hope you're doing well and enjoying all the snuggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Thank you all for the well wishes. We are both doing great and enjoying our bubble... Looking forward to going home though

Thank you all for the well wishes. We are both doing great and enjoying our bubble... Looking forward to going home though

How long are they keeping you in? Hope you get home soon.

I got my waxing done today. Been out for a walk and currently bouncing on the ball. C'mon baba let's be having you.

Hope you get out soon and you’re doing ok with the restrictions in there at the moment x

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Congratulations. Hope you're both doing well!!

In my mind I'm now officially overdue..even though I'm only 37+2! My daughter was born at this stage so I'm more pregnant than I've ever been before and I'm feeling it!

Toddler fought sleep until 10.30, I finally got asleep near 12...she screamed at 3.30 so put her in our bed and I've been awake since, even though shes been fairly settled :(

Roll on paternity leave for her daddy, it's been a ridiculous few months of bad sleep for me

Same here with the no sleep Cash Q. I am just too uncomfortable at this stage. Totally wrecked during the day but wide awake from 3 to 6am each morning!

Cameoette wrote:
    Same here with the no sleep Cash Q. I am just too uncomfortable at this stage. Totally wrecked during the day but wide awake from 3 to 6am each morning!

It's a nightmare, I'm stuck to the couch here. She woke at 4.30 yesterday but at least I could go back to bed for a while once my husband was up. She wont nap unless I bring her for a walk which means I cant sleep then either. She is getting lots of telly today...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Sept 1st is here - officially our birth month Mamas!!
    Hope everyone is doing ok - nearly there now!

Rebel83 wrote: »
    Sept 1st is here - officially our birth month Mamas!!
    Hope everyone is doing ok - nearly there now!

Have my 36 week check today and last growth scan!

Considering at my last one the consultant "rushed" me for a second scan because I was measuring 5 weeks ahead and then admitted after I panicked that I might just be fat, I'm not particularly excited about this one :pac:

• Advertisement

Just had my last hospital appointment. Got my date and gave me a sweep. Ouch!

Baby is currently measuring 7lb 12oz at 37+4. Baby is head down but head is very high and so is cervix so she doubts I'll go myself in the meantime. Saying I'll need the propess initially to get things ripening.

I was surprised as i have been feeling lots of pressure and lots of braxton hicks so was hoping things were starting to get ready. Ah well. Will keep walking and bouncing to see if i can get myself going in the meantime.

Got told today that baby is measuring at 6lbs13oz (36 weeks on the nose) and that they're going to go ahead with induction on my due date because she's too big. Told them I was not one bit happy with that, and absolutely not agreeing to it either. My last baby was 9lbs1, a spontaneous and natural delivery with no pain meds or stitches and they're estimating this one to be 9lbs3. Absolutely furious!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Got told today that baby is measuring at 6lbs13oz (36 weeks on the nose) and that they're going to go ahead with induction on my due date because she's too big. Told them I was not one bit happy with that, and absolutely not agreeing to it either. My last baby was 9lbs1, a spontaneous and natural delivery with no pain meds or stitches and they're estimating this one to be 9lbs3. Absolutely furious!

Don’t blame you ShaShaBear. I’m being watched for a big baby because my son was 7.7 at 36+6 when he was born. My consultant has said that she’d induce me at 38/39 weeks if she thought that this baby was another big one.

I’m 35+6 today and I was with my consultant. Baby was measuring 6.14 but she said she couldn’t really get a decent measure of the head because it’s so far down. You’re prob the same? She didn’t seem concerned and said that this baby looks long and skinny and not as big as his brother or her brother. (I don’t know what I’m having and I’m aftaid that she accidentally left it slip today :-( No word of any induction...

My little boy ended up being OP and I had a very long stint of pushing that ended up with me needing a vacumn. I also had no epidural.,, and as painful as it was, id rather go natural again this time if possible, no pain relief etc. My recovery was very fast so I don’t blame you at all for being furious. Can you refuse and ask them to try leave you go yourself? I know that inductions have a high rate of interventions so I wouldn’t be rushing for you either myself x

awny wrote: »
    Don’t blame you ShaShaBear. I’m being watched for a big baby because my son was 7.7 at 36+6 when he was born. My consultant has said that she’d induce me at 38/39 weeks if she thought that this baby was another big one.

I’m 35+6 today and I was with my consultant. Baby was measuring 6.14 but she said she couldn’t really get a decent measure of the head because it’s so far down. You’re prob the same? She didn’t seem concerned and said that this baby looks long and skinny and not as big as his brother or her brother. (I don’t know what I’m having and I’m aftaid that she accidentally left it slip today :-( No word of any induction...

My little boy ended up being OP and I had a very long stint of pushing that ended up with me needing a vacumn. I also had no epidural.,, and as painful as it was, id rather go natural again this time if possible, no pain relief etc. My recovery was very fast so I don’t blame you at all for being furious. Can you refuse and ask them to try leave you go yourself? I know that inductions have a high rate of interventions so I wouldn’t be rushing for you either myself x

Sonographer said baby was short and chubby. She is measuring exactly on the 50th centile for weight and has done consistently at every growth scan. They couldn't give me one single medical reason for an induction at 40 weeks when I could easily just go myself the following day. I was induced with my first at 2 weeks over and it was horrible. I was treated worse than a cow and bullied for not progressing even though I was only in the labor ward for 2 hours start to finish. Even the suggestion of it again has me so anxious and upset and from what I can understand, theres no cons to me refusing it solely on a guess of babys weight!

Sonographer said baby was short and chubby. She is measuring exactly on the 50th centile for weight and has done consistently at every growth scan. They couldn't give me one single medical reason for an induction at 40 weeks when I could easily just go myself the following day. I was induced with my first at 2 weeks over and it was horrible. I was treated worse than a cow and bullied for not progressing even though I was only in the labor ward for 2 hours start to finish. Even the suggestion of it again has me so anxious and upset and from what I can understand, theres no cons to me refusing it solely on a guess of babys weight!

Yep I don’t think it’d be unreasonable to refuse it either based on what’s being said and given that you had an unsatisfactory experience of induction previously.

My consultant was saying today that I should fly through this labour hopefully because I delivered my son myself despite him being OP. So surely the fact that you’ve delivered a baby before, that should make the labour easier and easier for the baby to make its entrance? When are you being seen again?

awny wrote: »
    Yep I don’t think it’d be unreasonable to refuse it either based on what’s being said and given that you had an unsatisfactory experience of induction previously.

My consultant was saying today that I should fly through this labour hopefully because I delivered my son myself despite him being OP. So surely the fact that you’ve delivered a baby before, that should make the labour easier and easier for the baby to make its entrance? When are you being seen again?

I'm back in a fortnight, will be 38 weeks on the nose. I absolutely wouldn't refuse it if there was a good reason like blood pressure, illness or previous complications they're anticipating. But I didnt even need stitches with my 9lber! Both my labours were 5.5 hours start to finish, so hardly an ordeal in either case and I was up and walking immediately after both. I'm utterly baffled because even the HSE guidelines suggest not accepting an induction with no medical reasoning!

ShaShaBear wrote:

You are so right to refuse if you're not happy with it. It's your body and your baby and those measurements are purely estimates. "The baby can't be weighed til it can be weighed" was said to me at my last growth scan which I thought was such a simple, logical way of looking at these scans. They've no grounds to insist on induction based on estimates. As said above, induction often leads to intervention so if you can go into labour yourself and are happier to do so then hang on in there.

I was induced on my first and it was a horrible experience, started at 1pm on a Monday and ended in an emergency section at 8pm on the Tuesday. Don't mean to scare anyone reading, but induction isn't always favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Cash_Q wrote: »
    "The baby can't be weighed til it can be weighed"

That is a great way if putting it! Hope no one is feeling pressured into induction. If your mind or body isnt ready just seems really counterproductive, especially reading the stories from you ladies who've been through it!

I was induced with my first, was 2.5cm dilated and fully effaced and all they did was break my waters and stick me on a drip. My body was practically ready to do it, and even that was a pretty horrible experience. I managed it on my own and just about! It's definitely not scary, just cold hard facts that inducing someone before they are ready increases risks of other interventions! I'd much rather a natural tear and a few stitches from a big-ass baby than potentially having my first ever surgery and being handed an 8lber that probably could have walked out of me 😂

• Advertisement

So after a late night of tears and panic, I contacted my sister (who is a midwife where I am attending but not currently working in the clinic section). She asked for details on my notes and my GAP chart (personalised chart depicting normal ranges of growth for baby based on mum's BMI and previous babies for anyone who is wondering) and she asked for the opinion of three other midwives, who all agreed unanimously that I should absolutely refuse induction.
    As luck would have it, my consultant was on-call last night and she's on very good terms with him, so she approached him and explained my situation and asked why I had been booked for induction. After some horrified investigation on his part, a junior doctor was found to be acting "too big for her boots" and he assured my sister that he had not, under any circumstances, okayed an induction. He also assured her that he would not okay it if my pregnancy continued to 42 weeks as normal. He's not one bit impressed and has arranged to speak to me directly at the appointment in two weeks time to go over my plans in person.

Moral of the story for everyone here is always, always, ALWAYS question medical advice that you are unsure of. These are our babies, but also our bodies and while we may not all be doctors or from a medical background, we do know when something isn't right. I know I have a distinct advantage with my sister's position but its made me see that covid restrictions on dads/partners really is having a negative effect on expecting mums who are so overwhelmed and alone that they might not be willing to rock the boat.

Advertisement