Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So after a late night of tears and panic, I contacted my sister (who is a midwife where I am attending but not currently working in the clinic section). She asked for details on my notes and my GAP chart (personalised chart depicting normal ranges of growth for baby based on mum's BMI and previous babies for anyone who is wondering) and she asked for the opinion of three other midwives, who all agreed unanimously that I should absolutely refuse induction.
    As luck would have it, my consultant was on-call last night and she's on very good terms with him, so she approached him and explained my situation and asked why I had been booked for induction. After some horrified investigation on his part, a junior doctor was found to be acting "too big for her boots" and he assured my sister that he had not, under any circumstances, okayed an induction. He also assured her that he would not okay it if my pregnancy continued to 42 weeks as normal. He's not one bit impressed and has arranged to speak to me directly at the appointment in two weeks time to go over my plans in person.

Moral of the story for everyone here is always, always, ALWAYS question medical advice that you are unsure of. These are our babies, but also our bodies and while we may not all be doctors or from a medical background, we do know when something isn't right. I know I have a distinct advantage with my sister's position but its made me see that covid restrictions on dads/partners really is having a negative effect on expecting mums who are so overwhelmed and alone that they might not be willing to rock the boat.

That’s great that you got sorted ShaShaBear, that’s a major relief for you id say. Fingers crossed you go yourself and don’t need an induction at all x

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

That’s great news ShaSha. I’m glad you were able to advocate for yourself and had family to advocate for you. I always thought induction was supported by genuine medical reason- not good to think of junior doctors making cavalier decisions that are not evidence based. All these decisions have consequences for mother and baby that need to be explained, its horrible to feel railroaded into something with no reason given.

Cash Q I think we had the same sonographer ;) she said the same to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Delighted you got sorted ShaShaBear. You are absolutely right to question things and not be forced into anything.

In my case, I'm happy to go ahead with induction as there are underlying reasons as to why it is necessary. I would still love to go myself in the meantime if anyway possible as the whole process was very intense last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Moral of the story for everyone here is always, always, ALWAYS question medical advice that you are unsure of. These are our babies, but also our bodies.

Delighted you spoke to your sister and got sorted ShaShaBear! Think it's really difficult to question these things sometimes but we are absolutely entitled to ask for the logic or reasoning behind these suggestions/decisions and make sure that they do make sense so good on you for sticking to your guns on this, I'd say you're feeling a great sense of relief now!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Happy birth month ladies... Still can't believe my lady is here :D I had the most amazing experience in the Coombe from start to finish. Especially Anyone for elective section there...

Shasha, so glad you got that outcome. What an ordeal! I definitely firmly believe in us standing up for our care and questioning everything with medical professionals. Yes, they are the professionals but they don't know everything, they are not better than us and they need to be challenged too. Gone are the days when doctors are god!!

• Advertisement

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Happy birth month ladies... Still can't believe my lady is here :D I had the most amazing experience in the Coombe from start to finish. Especially Anyone for elective section there...

Delighted you had a positive experience! I’m so reassured by this too :) hope you’re recovering well and getting as much rest as anyone with a newborn can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

ShaShaBear wrote:
    So after a late night of tears and panic, I contacted my sister (who is a midwife where I am attending but not currently working in the clinic section). She asked for details on my notes and my GAP chart (personalised chart depicting normal ranges of growth for baby based on mum's BMI and previous babies for anyone who is wondering) and she asked for the opinion of three other midwives, who all agreed unanimously that I should absolutely refuse induction. As luck would have it, my consultant was on-call last night and she's on very good terms with him, so she approached him and explained my situation and asked why I had been booked for induction. After some horrified investigation on his part, a junior doctor was found to be acting "too big for her boots" and he assured my sister that he had not, under any circumstances, okayed an induction. He also assured her that he would not okay it if my pregnancy continued to 42 weeks as normal. He's not one bit impressed and has arranged to speak to me directly at the appointment in two weeks time to go over my plans in person.

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Moral of the story for everyone here is always, always, ALWAYS question medical advice that you are unsure of. These are our babies, but also our bodies and while we may not all be doctors or from a medical background, we do know when something isn't right. I know I have a distinct advantage with my sister's position but its made me see that covid restrictions on dads/partners really is having a negative effect on expecting mums who are so overwhelmed and alone that they might not be willing to rock the boat.

Wow good on you, yes it's an advantage to have your sister working there but even for those of us without such a connection it is great to hear that these decisions can be challenged and we can be listened to. Hope you will get a much better sleep tonight now.

Plum Pud wrote:
    Happy birth month ladies... Still can't believe my lady is here I had the most amazing experience in the Coombe from start to finish. Especially Anyone for elective section there...

I'm intrigued about it.. my last section was an 'emergency' in the sense it wasnt planned but it was all pretty calm and quick and there was never an immediate danger to me or baby.

I was in today and hoped they'd paint a better picture of it all but she just went through the risks and gave me the consent form and said the anaesthetist would be in touch and to come back for routine appt next week. She answered the couple of questions that I had but I still feel a bit ignorant as to how itll actually go on the day.

Can I ask you a few questions if you dont mind? feel free to ignore any or all of them.. and honestly I know you're busy with baby so really no pressure to reply but in case you have a minute..
    - what time were you told to arrive and what time were you told section would happen?
    - were you delayed/left to wait by much/at all?
    - how far in advance of the section date did they tell you what time to come in?
    - were you brought up to a ward on arrival or were you waiting elsewhere?
    - how much time did they give your partner to get up to the ward?
    - was your partner allowed to stay in recovery with you after surgery?
    - was baby placed directly on your chest or checked first?
    - if you're on a public ward was it full to capacity?
    - were they trying to discharge you after 48 hours? I've heard this is happening due to Covid but my source isn't one I'd take too seriously :P

Thanks in advance if you get a chance to answer any of that but really no pressure, I know how busy and tiring the first few weeks are!

Hey CashQ, no problem at all... Happy to answer the questions - I would have loved some more information beforehand too :D

I was told by my team (SpR on the team) to be in at 7am,fasting from midnight and I could drink clear still water only until 6.30am and present to admissions. All I was told was I'd be done in the morning as I was the only planned section on their list but they did have a day case gynae list.

The day before I got a call from admissions who changed my time to be in so I was told by them to be in at 9am because they had to stagger admissions due to covid so I confirmed with them not to attend at 7am as the team told me and admissions said not to attend at 7am because I would be sent away. I arrived at 8.50am to get passed the midwife station and leave my bags with security because my husband wasn't allowed any further at that point. He went back to the car.

So I was checked in and told to go straight to the ward and check into the nurses station. So at 9.10am I was shown to my bed by the midwife and she started my admission process, the anti nausea medicines, the paper work etc. So I was assigned my bed and my bags were left there. Midwife said they don't get a time for me to go they'll just get a call from theatre to say they're ready for me. So I was ready and admitted by 10am and at 10.15 the call came so I was brought straight to theatre, I rang my husband and he met me there, we were brought to a family room and a midwife met us and went through the whole process. Then me and her left, husband got gowned and he waited to be brought down. I was in the theatre about 10.45am to start the anaesthetic process and then it was knife to skin at 11.40am, husband was brought in exactly at 11.40am and baby was born at 11.50am.husband was in theatre with me for a good half hour. Baby was shown to us, taken straight away but husband was brought to the heater to get photos as the midwife cleaned her down then she was placed on me for as long as I wanted but I only lasted a few mins because I felt she was rolling under my chin and I was getting pins and needles in my arms so husband took her and they both went to recovery, I followed a short while after and I was given her to start breastfeeding, husband was with me all the time and then I was moved to the ward at 2pm and husband was allowed over for that until 4.30pm. Also just so you know... You don't bring anything for baby to theatre, first outfit, nappy, nothing. I was told to bring only a hat but we didn't need it. In theatre they put a nappy on baby, wrap baby really well and all the babies get their own hand knitted hat..

I got my section date at 33 weeks and section was done on 38+5

Public wards are not at capacity so there is only 4 beds in the room, the middle beds are either gone or not in use and the communal table and chairs are gone. It's so much better and so much more spacious!! Felt like semi P :D

They wouldn't discharge me after 48hours and I really wanted to be as both me and baby were doing great. They asked me to stay the 72 hours. In a way I'm glad we did because the Saturday and Sunday we didn't see any doctors at all, it's like the hospital shuts down but that was nice too.. It was very calm and then on the Monday morning at 7.30am it was hectic and all go and we were home just after 2pm.

I hope all that helps paint somewhat of a picture for you :) if I've forgotten anything just ask :)

Thank you so much Plum Pud for taking the time to write that! You are a star.
    My section is 2 weeks from now. So reassuring to read how smoothly it went! X
    Hope you are feeling ok and recovering well? You have a toddler already don’t you?

• Advertisement

With due dates looming, just wondering what you guys are thinking/doing with regards visitors once home?

We are limiting to immediate family but I'm still nervous as most of them are working and in contact with other people. Also nervous about my daughter being in playschool but I know she really needs the social interaction.

I've a big bottle of sanitiser in the house for when people visit. My husband feels its a bit extreme to ask people to wear masks.

What are you guys doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

After another GCT yesterday, I now have to use the machiney thing to track blood sugars for the weekend to see if I have GD. Already breaking out in cold sweats at the mere thought of lancing myself! Praying it ends up okay!

Regarding visitors, nobody is allowed in our house for the first 7 days. I told everyone I would be taking a week of staying at home and getting to know my baby and I wanted no interruptions. From day 8, we will take her to visit when and where we feel appropriate

Plum Pud wrote:
    Hey CashQ, no problem at all... Happy to answer the questions - I would have loved some more information beforehand too

Thanks so so much for your detailed reply, that paints a really lovely picture!! It sounds like a dream and all went well! I hope you're settling well at home, getting some rest and not too sore?
    We are limiting to immediate family but I'm still nervous as most of them are working and in contact with other people. Also nervous about my daughter being in playschool but I know she really needs the social interaction.

We'll be limiting to immediate family too...but we both have both our parents and several siblings each plus partners.. these would all be interacting with workmates in various settings, and his side of the family are all going to pubs/staycations etc so it is a worry. Having a section will buy us a few days in hospital anyway and the majority of the siblings dont drive so I'm thinking it might be into the following weekend when they get to us, so grandparents when we get home and I'm hoping for a few days on our own then. The problem with lots of them not driving is that they trek all the way over on public transport and then I dont want to kick them out after a long journey here.. but dont want people here for hours either!! If they'd wait a couple of weeks I can handle longer visits but it's so tiring in the early days. Also concerned about how unsettling itll be for my toddler having loads of visitors.

I've a big bottle of sanitiser in the house for when people visit. My husband feels its a bit extreme to ask people to wear masks.

Yes I'm insisting on sanitiser and I do want to ask them to wear masks holding baby but not throughout their visit..so then I feel if they're sitting there for a while without a mask is there much point in them putting it on to hold baby?! I dont know.. it's a hard one. I feel I may be saying no one can hold baby but I know I'll be in the bad books with the in-laws ...hoping lots of breastfeeding means I can keep baby to myself!

I'll ask for advice from the hospital and if I'm really feeling anxious about it I'll say "The hospital said ...."

After another GCT yesterday, I now have to use the machiney thing to track blood sugars for the weekend to see if I have GD. Already breaking out in cold sweats at the mere thought of lancing myself! Praying it ends up okay!

The finger pricks really aren't that bad. Use the last 3 fingers and keep to the sides of the finger. Dont prick the soft pad part as thats the bit you use all day so will be more sore. I literally have callouses on the sides of mine from pricking 7 times a day since 8wks pregnant.

Fingers crossed your readings will be OK. What readings did you get on the glucose test?

The finger pricks really aren't that bad. Use the last 3 fingers and keep to the sides of the finger. Dont prick the soft pad part as thats the bit you use all day so will be more sore. I literally have callouses on the sides of mine from pricking 7 times a day since 8wks pregnant.

Fingers crossed your readings will be OK. What readings did you get on the glucose test?

It was just the control test so one hour fasting with one reading at 8.4 and I'm 99% sure it was because I ate an entire bag of Haribo cola bottles in the car with the kids on the way to Drogheda (whoops!). Just going to cut out sweets for the rest of the weekend and try to be relatively good.
    I am a horror for needles though. Takes every bit of emotional and physical restraint I have not to vomit and cry when getting my bloods done, and usually my husband is there to hold my other hand! 😂

It was just the control test so one hour fasting with one reading at 8.4 and I'm 99% sure it was because I ate an entire bag of Haribo cola bottles in the car with the kids on the way to Drogheda (whoops!). Just going to cut out sweets for the rest of the weekend and try to be relatively good.
    I am a horror for needles though. Takes every bit of emotional and physical restraint I have not to vomit and cry when getting my bloods done, and usually my husband is there to hold my other hand! 😂

Hahaha yeah the haribo probably didn't help. Jellies are my kryptonite. I've really missed them this pregnancy so much so that I have a bag of pick n mix in my hospital bag.

Hopefully your readings will be normal for the weekend and you won't have to torture yourself with the finger pricking for too long. It's hard enough without having a proper phobia.

Hahaha yeah the haribo probably didn't help. Jellies are my kryptonite. I've really missed them this pregnancy so much so that I have a bag of pick n mix in my hospital bag.

Hopefully your readings will be normal for the weekend and you won't have to torture yourself with the finger pricking for too long. It's hard enough without having a proper phobia.

After a lot of huffing and puffing and a cold sweat and two test runs to make sure I wasn't playing Russian Roulette with the bloody thing, I got the first one done. Thanks for the heads up though, the prick wasn't terribly bad on 2 setting, but it's already all bruisey! First reading before breakfast was 4.6, so only 27 more to go :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ask the hospital what they think re: visitors and masks before you go home.
    They already are quite comprehensive about smokers holding newborns....outer layer of clothes off, hands washed, don't hold the baby for at least 30 mins (i think) after smoking....so see what they say.
    I admit to being someone who was extremely uncomfortable with passing my baby around and after my first, I just stopped doing it.A lot of people think it is ok to take a newborn and not give it back to its mother for the duration of a visit - it is something I found made me very anxious personally, and I find the fourth trimester concept to be very true...so for the first couple of months I just allowed the baby to be held the odd time by odd visitors and did not apologise.But that was me, some people might like the break.

Cameoette and CashQ, glad I was able to offer some insight as to what to expect. Its still daunting and I can't believe my section took place this day last week :)
    recovery this time is going so well, such a difference from the emcs scenario. And yep, I have a 5 year old who started junior infants on Tuesday so it's all a bit manic but to be fair she's being great, taking it all in her stride. I'm glad to have my hubby around too and he's so hands on so I've no worries which makes a world of difference.

Looking for a quick bit of blood sugar advice.
    I have a diary to fill out and in the front is paper taped in directly from the diabetic clinic in Drogheda saying that before meals, normal ranges are 3.5 to 5mmol. However, on a separate sheet of paper indicating how to use the machine, it states that before meals it should be lower than 5mmol. I was told I can have no more than one outlying/high result but I cant figure out if 5 is within the normal range or outside of it, and there is nobody to call until Monday morning :(

• Advertisement

Plum Pud wrote:
    Cameoette and CashQ, glad I was able to offer some insight as to what to expect. Its still daunting and I can't believe my section took place this day last week recovery this time is going so well, such a difference from the emcs scenario. And yep, I have a 5 year old who started junior infants on Tuesday so it's all a bit manic but to be fair she's being great, taking it all in her stride. I'm glad to have my hubby around too and he's so hands on so I've no worries which makes a world of difference.

So great to hear that about the recovery too. I'd say your 5 year old is thrilled to have a baby now, and it's great she has the structure of school to keep her going too. I was 5 when my sister was born and I was obsessed with her, I was broody for a baby of my own since then lol.

Can I ask why you had to leave your bags with security and not just bring them up to the ward? And that bed on the ward when you were admitted, I take it that's where you were brought to after the theatre and recovery room?

Looking for a quick bit of blood sugar advice.
    I have a diary to fill out and in the front is paper taped in directly from the diabetic clinic in Drogheda saying that before meals, normal ranges are 3.5 to 5mmol. However, on a separate sheet of paper indicating how to use the machine, it states that before meals it should be lower than 5mmol. I was told I can have no more than one outlying/high result but I cant figure out if 5 is within the normal range or outside of it, and there is nobody to call until Monday morning :(

It really seems to depend in the hospital. Personally, I consider 5.0 or below ok. In the Coombe they've only ever circled it if its 5.1 and above. I also find the before meals (fasting levels) the hardest ones to control.

It really seems to depend in the hospital. Personally, I consider 5.0 or below ok. In the Coombe they've only ever circled it if its 5.1 and above. I also find the before meals (fasting levels) the hardest ones to control.

I'm overly anxious because if all results are normal, I can go full term on my own. I've never had to do anything like this before so its thrown me for six!

I'm overly anxious because if all results are normal, I can go full term on my own. I've never had to do anything like this before so its thrown me for six!

Fingers crossed for you. Just do what you can & don't be too hard on yourself.

The one thing I've learned with GD is it's hormonal and caused by the placenta. There's only so much you can control. If you do have it look at it as a good thing that at least you know. Complications arise when it goes undiagnosed. If you know at least you can make the necessary adjustments & prevent any complications.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    So great to hear that about the recovery too. I'd say your 5 year old is thrilled to have a baby now, and it's great she has the structure of school to keep her going too. I was 5 when my sister was born and I was obsessed with her, I was broody for a baby of my own since then lol.

Can I ask why you had to leave your bags with security and not just bring them up to the ward? And that bed on the ward when you were admitted, I take it that's where you were brought to after the theatre and recovery room?

Definitely the structure is helping for sure and it's great she can still play with her friends on the street for a while in the afternoon so it's all helping us.

Security take your bags and label them, I think it's incase you're bed isn't ready and your partner isn't allowed any further at that point so I left my bags, went to admissions and they told me what ward then in the ward the midwife brought me to my bed. Also, there's no way I would have been able to carry my bags myself 😂 I went back to the same bed but I was told there was a possibility I wouldn't

Plum Pud wrote:
    Security take your bags and label them, I think it's incase you're bed isn't ready and your partner isn't allowed any further at that point so I left my bags, went to admissions and they told me what ward then in the ward the midwife brought me to my bed. Also, there's no way I would have been able to carry my bags myself 😂 I went back to the same bed but I was told there was a possibility I wouldn't

Ah right that makes sense, it's just such a busy little thoroughfare to be leaving all our stuff and security are busy/otherwise distracted but then again who would touch anything. That's good they label them I was thinking I've no luggage labels.

How are you finding your mobility since the section? Last time I was out of bed the next morning and just crept about as much as I could which I think stood to me as I felt back to normal within 3 weeks for sure, if not sooner. Think we went for or first short walk at 2 weeks.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Ah right that makes sense, it's just such a busy little thoroughfare to be leaving all our stuff and security are busy/otherwise distracted but then again who would touch anything. That's good they label them I was thinking I've no luggage labels.<br /><br />
    <br /><br />
    How are you finding your mobility since the section? Last time I was out of bed the next morning and just crept about as much as I could which I think stood to me as I felt back to normal within 3 weeks for sure, if not sooner. Think we went for or first short walk at 2 weeks.
    Oh don't worry about your bags. They have a great system going and there's plenty of porters who are delivering the bags to the wards, they'll put your bags in clear plastic bags and label them so it works really well. I was skeptical too, but it was grand. My bags were at my bed 10 mins after me.

Mobility is great. I was up at 6am the next morning and had catheter out so the hca had be up walking the corridor with her and I just kept the momentum going. I drank so much water that I had to pee very regularly so no excuse not to be up. Since being home I've been doing better every day too and we've been out already for 2 very short walks. It really is a completely different recovery in comparison to the emcs one. Even my stitches are dissolvable! Last time I had staples and a vacuum dressing!!

Plum Pud wrote:
    Mobility is great. I was up at 6am the next morning and had catheter out so the hca had be up walking the corridor with her and I just kept the momentum going. I drank so much water that I had to pee very regularly so no excuse not to be up. Since being home I've been doing better every day too and we've been out already for 2 very short walks. It really is a completely different recovery in comparison to the emcs one. Even my stitches are dissolvable! Last time I had staples and a vacuum dressing!!

That sounds brilliant, the more mobile we can be at the start the better in the long run I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hi all,

my wife is due very soon and, like many here I'm sure, we're already getting upset at the thought of her having to go through most of it alone. If you feel the same and would like to sign this petition, it seems it may be getting some traction (nearly 2000 signatures in a day). It's not mine, I don't know who actually set it up, just sharing

Thanks

EN

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/lift-restrictions-on-maternity-care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Baby girl arrived a week early at 39 weeks and 1 day. FTM and it's so surreal she's here. Midwives in CUMH are super

Advertisement