Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Hi all,

Hope everyone and their babies are doing well! Just wanted some feedback from anyone who’s had an induction!? I’m booked in to have my waters broken on Friday if I don’t go myself before hand. I’ll be 39+2.

Anyone have any idea what I can expect?

TIA x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

awny wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope everyone and their babies are doing well! Just wanted some feedback from anyone who’s had an induction!? I’m booked in to have my waters broken on Friday if I don’t go myself before hand. I’ll be 39+2.

Anyone have any idea what I can expect?

TIA x

I was induced with my first baby by having waters broke. They took me in at 8am and it was very straightforward and relatively painless compared to regular internals but it was a bit of a shock when the waters went! My pains started at about 11am and had ramped up to "here goes" by 11.30. Now, I will be honest, the intensity at this point caused a rather spontaneous emptying of my bowels and I don't know if that was just how it was for me or if the induction had anything to do with it. So if they are admitting you the night before or anything, perhaps ask for something to help with bowel movements (I was offered and declined :o ). I was on the drip by 12 and she was out at 1.30 - so from the start to finish it was 5.5 hours and from first pain to end, it was only 2.5 :)
    You'll probably be put on a trace - ask if they have a bluetooth/wireless one which will allow you to stand up and move around a bit - even if its just the edges of the bed. In fact, even just being able to lean over the side of the bed as opposed to lying flat on your back will make the whole thing much more manageable. All-in-all it is a bit more intense than a natural labour, but it is over quicker and it's not totally unbearable.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was induced with my first baby by having waters broke. They took me in at 8am and it was very straightforward and relatively painless compared to regular internals but it was a bit of a shock when the waters went! My pains started at about 11am and had ramped up to "here goes" by 11.30. Now, I will be honest, the intensity at this point caused a rather spontaneous emptying of my bowels and I don't know if that was just how it was for me or if the induction had anything to do with it. So if they are admitting you the night before or anything, perhaps ask for something to help with bowel movements (I was offered and declined :o ). I was on the drip by 12 and she was out at 1.30 - so from the start to finish it was 5.5 hours and from first pain to end, it was only 2.5 :)
    You'll probably be put on a trace - ask if they have a bluetooth/wireless one which will allow you to stand up and move around a bit - even if its just the edges of the bed. In fact, even just being able to lean over the side of the bed as opposed to lying flat on your back will make the whole thing much more manageable. All-in-all it is a bit more intense than a natural labour, but it is over quicker and it's not totally unbearable.

Thanks a mill ShaShaBear, you’ve put my mind at ease. It doesn’t seem too bad an ordeal now, hopefully mine will go as smoothly as yours. Apparently I’m Very favourable So hopefully the old cervix doesn’t need too much coaxing :) how are you feeling?

Thanks a mill ShaShaBear, you’ve put my mind at ease. It doesn’t seem too bad an ordeal now, hopefully mine will go as smoothly as yours. Apparently I’m Very favourable So hopefully the old cervix doesn’t need too much coaxing :) how are you feeling?

If you're favorable enough for just breaking waters, it should go quite smoothly after that :D
    I'm tired :pac: Pressure and period cramps every day for a week now with no sign of things actually starting. I'm 39+1 today so hoping beyond all hope that I just go. Not relishing labour but at the same time I am just totally done with this shambles of an experience of a "Lockdown Baby" (despite us being pregnant before there was even mention of covid-19 in Ireland :rolleyes: )

On my first (July 2014), there was a massive heatwave. On my second (December 2015), there was insane flooding (I got trapped in a stranger's house in the countryside and there was talk of sending an airlift for me) and this time round it's a pandemic. May just tell the OH to get the snippy-snip now and be done with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Aw ladies ye must be so fed up at this stage, hopefully all goes well now and babies will be in your arms very soon!

We are doing great here, baby is 8 days old and we saw PHN yesterday who was very happy with everything. He has had a few 3 hour stretches at night and is generally very content and easygoing. Our toddler has been so so sweet with him which is brilliant, it is bloody busy and she is watching a lot of TV but she's been her usual happy self. Looking forward to getting out for a walk tomorrow maybe, just quite slow on my feet still so don't want to push it.

Hope all the other babies are doing great?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I was induced also. Getting waters broke in itself was actually not too bad. Just feel pressure but not sore. The fact you're very favourable will stand to you. Once waters were broken I requested an hour to see if I would start contracting myself. I didnt so was then hooked up to the syntocin drip to get contractions going. In my case they came thick and fast. I seem to hyperstimulate on the drip. Same thing happened on my daughter. This time around baby was born within 2.5 hours from starting the drip compared to 12 hours on my first. Went from 2cm to 10cm within 30mins and he was out with 3 pushes. So although it was very intense (no time for epidural) it was much quicker & I felt i recovered much faster this time round.. beat of luck to you. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you.

My little man is 12 days old. We moved him onto formula as bf just wasn't working for us. He seems much more content. Although I fear he's eating way too much. He's drinking between 3-4oz every 3-4hours. Can I ask what your little ones are drinking??

My little man is 12 days old. We moved him onto formula as bf just wasn't working for us. He seems much more content. Although I fear he's eating way too much. He's drinking between 3-4oz every 3-4hours. Can I ask what your little ones are drinking??

That sounds spot on, my lad is 8 days old and taking 2-3 ounces although it can take up to 90 mins to get that into him. Not that I'm trying him all that time but he will usually take and ounce then sleep and maybe take the second ounce quite soon or might look for it 40/60mins later. If he takes the first two ounces together he's looking for a third after 40/60 mins and the odd time has taken close to the 4 oz. Sometimes he only takes 2oz but would then look for more by 2.5 hours later. Hope all that makes sense!

Community midwife said that by the end of this week she would expect him to be up to 3/4 oz every 3/4 hours, basically an ounce per hour between feeds if that makes sense. He was 8lbs1oz at birth and almost back up to that so not sure how big your boy is but I think if they look for it and they keep it down then it's fine.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    That sounds spot on, my lad is 8 days old and taking 2-3 ounces although it can take up to 90 mins to get that into him. Not that I'm trying him all that time but he will usually take and ounce then sleep and maybe take the second ounce quite soon or might look for it 40/60mins later. If he takes the first two ounces together he's looking for a third after 40/60 mins and the odd time has taken close to the 4 oz. Sometimes he only takes 2oz but would then look for more by 2.5 hours later. Hope all that makes sense!

Community midwife said that by the end of this week she would expect him to be up to 3/4 oz every 3/4 hours, basically an ounce per hour between feeds if that makes sense. He was 8lbs1oz at birth and almost back up to that so not sure how big your boy is but I think if they look for it and they keep it down then it's fine.

Ah super thanks for that Cash_Q. He was 7lb 12oz so similar size to your boy. I was just afraid he was over indulging.

Ah super thanks for that Cash_Q. He was 7lb 12oz so similar size to your boy. I was just afraid he was over indulging.

This fella puked twice tonight so he must have over indulged a bit haha, but sure once they keep it down *most* of the time it must be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

All good here. So tired and already nervous for my husband to go back to work next week! He's self employed so can't really take much more time off.
    We got our little girl's tongue tie released yesterday (Dr Alan O'Reilly in Camden Medical in case anyone is interested- he was great). So feeding should improve a lot from here on. Even though she has tongue tie her weight gain has been good, much better than when my son had it so that's been a relief. Can't believe she's over a week old now it's like she's always been here.

• Advertisement

Aw guys, I'm actually so jealous of ye having your little babies to squeeze! :pac:
    Still no sign of an appearance here yet, although after two overdue babies, I wasn't really banking on an early-ish appearance. A girl can dream, eh? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Jumping on from october as may end up with a sep baby yet ! 36 weeks today and admitted with pre eclampsia so they are hoping to get me to 37 weeks.
    Shocked and scared to be honest, any one have any words of wisdom or positive stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Shasha, my little baby is not so little anymore... She's 4 weeks old tomorrow and she is a chunk 😂 But I still can't believe she is here, she's just amazing 😍

Annoyedgal, I was the same on my first and was induced at 37 weeks. Are they going to induce or section you?

Think they are talking induction as this is no 3 but i haven't ruled out asking for a section. They said they would consider it. I went 41 plus 5 with others so can't think i would be favourable at 37 weeks.
    Were you in hospital for long before plum pud or managed at home?
    Sha sha we were on Dec 2015 thread together although my man came jan 1st! Hope your not waiting too much longer!

I was thankfully managed at home. I was signed off work and told to rest the whole time. My whole induction process was fine, I was admitted, had the gel, waters broke themselves, contractions etc but I still ended up having an emergency section. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have asked for a section but it would have been only to avoid the labour part beforehand, none of it was bad if you get me.

I had the drip on both mine to speed up labour so know how tough it is! I'll see, just take it day by day. Did your bp normalise quickly after delivery?

Are you medicated for the BP? I was, so I was on the medication for 4 weeks after but I had to go back to the hospital once a week for BP monitoring then at 6 weeks there were no more BP checks because it had been stable for a few weeks

Oh that's good to hear. Thanks so much for the info, googled a bit and i shouldn't of!
    Yep I'm medicated now. Changed meds as first didn't agree with me but this one is good so far and keeping it where it should be for no.

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Sha sha we were on Dec 2015 thread together although my man came jan 1st! Hope your not waiting too much longer!

I knew I recognised the username! 😂
    Mad that they are almost 5 years old now!

I know ! Just flew by!

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote:
    Jumping on from october as may end up with a sep baby yet ! 36 weeks today and admitted with pre eclampsia so they are hoping to get me to 37 weeks. Shocked and scared to be honest, any one have any words of wisdom or positive stories?

On my last pregnancy I was diagnosed with pre eclampsia at 36+5 and admitted to hospital that day and induced with propess at 37+1. Unfortunately it didnt work for me as I wasnt making any progress so they removed the propess and then the following day broke my waters and again I failed to progrss so I had an emergency C section although there was never any immediate danger to me or baby, just wasnt planned.

The biggest advantage I suppose is that you'll meet your baby sooner!

I was on BP meds in hospital and on discharge.. my BP was still high when the community midwife came to the house so she sent me to the GP who monitored my BP every few days and gradually weaned me off the meds, I think it was only a couple of weeks on them.

Thanks you, it really helps to hear other stories and good outcomes. I felt so down about it earlier and Google didn't help! Congrats to you both on your new arrivals, makes it all worthwhile!

Hi all,

After my question yesterday about an induction, I went myself and gave birth to a gorgeous girl today!

Had a Vacuum on my first and had another one this time. What are the chances :) also had a small PPH but I’m flying it now.

Hope ye are all good x

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi all,

After my question yesterday about an induction, I went myself and gave birth to a gorgeous girl today!

Had a Vacuum on my first and had another one this time. What are the chances :) also had a small PPH but I’m flying it now.

Hope ye are all good x

Yay Awny! Huge congratulations xx
    Hope you’re ok after the delivery and PPH.

Hi all,

Hope ye are all good x

Congrats awny. Hope you are both doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Hi all,

Hope ye are all good x

Congrats Awny! Hope you're doing good!
    I'm booked in for an induction next Wednesday if baby doesnt get a wriggle on so I'm happy you asked the question ;)

Congrats Awny, so great to be on the other side and all well. Enjoy every minute!

awny wrote:

Yay congratulations! Hope you're both doing great!

Plum Pud wrote:
    How are you feeling?

Just using this quote to reply to say I have tried to reply to your PM but my reply doesn't seem to have sent! So I'm not ignoring you and think it's a great idea but my message just wont send I'm sorry, don't know how to fix it!

• Advertisement

Well I guess there goes my chances of having a September baby :pac:

Was 1cm with absolutely no promising signs at my last appointment on my due date. 2 days overdue now and booked for induction starting the night of the 12th of October. Hopefully it doesn't come to that :rolleyes:

Full moon tonight, though! :p

Advertisement