Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

pma555 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am 9 weeks. Hospital scan is in 4 weeks time. Morning sickness is in full swing, 24/7, I am really struggling with it. I haven't vomited but feel sick constantly. I have a 6 and 3 yr old, I actually got sick on them so this is different. I am also hibernating as soon as my husband is home. I have to say finding this pregnancy difficult. I got the anti sickness bands for my wrists and they really take the edge off the sickness, Id recommend them. I wouldn't be able to come to work otherwise. Are there any post primary teachers on here? I am just wondering about leave entitlements for hospital appointments.

Good luck to all

I'm post primary too. There's no issue about getting the time for appointments; I know some ppl on my staff are out the whole day for maternity appointments and there is no issue. On my last pregnancy I did Domino and my appointments were all done by 10 am so I went back to school for the remainder of the day. But this time I'm in the hospital for all appointments so I'm sure the waiting times will be longer. But the way I look at it there will only be the 12 week and 20 week appointments (I think?!) before the end of the school year and the rest fall over the summer so I don't think 2 appointment days will be too problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I'm primary but same rules apply, entitled to a full day. I've already had my booking appointment one day, have my dating scan a separate day and a third date for consultant visit. Also have to get bloods one morning but I'll go in after that as it'll be brief and first thing in the morning. Even if you've got half or double as many appointments as me, you're entitled to the full day for them all. My last pregnancy my principal expected me in after every appointment, it was really stressful worrying about how long I was taking and it was disruptive to my students to have me arrive in so late in the day. We've a new principal now who told me that I'm entitled to sub cover and to just take care of myself as a pregnancy is such a short time in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I'm post primary teacher. It's my understanding that as sub cover is provided you are not insured if your in the building so you're meant to take the whole day (I'm open to correction though). As school secretary said to me, no-one will remember/thank you for rushing back to school so make the most of it as it's a busy enough job as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Had our Dating Scan & Booking appt today in CUMH. All looking good - 12w4d is the estimate. Looking forward to sharing the good news this week & wearing more comfy clothes! Thankfully no sickness to date which I feel really lucky about so fingers crossed it'll continue like that into the 2nd trimester!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Congrats Rebel, I was only thinking of you yesterday and wondering if you had your app's soon. Glad to hear all is well and enjoy sharing the news.
    I have mine in CUMH next week split over 2 days. Were they on time yesterday getting to you? How long were you there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

That's great news Rebel, such a lovely feeling.

I also had my booking appt and dating scan on Monday in The Coombe and thankfully all is good. I'm 12w 5days now and it's nice to be into the second trimester and to start telling people, particularly in work :)

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Congrats Rebel, I was only thinking of you yesterday and wondering if you had your app's soon. Glad to hear all is well and enjoy sharing the news.
    I have mine in CUMH next week split over 2 days. Were they on time yesterday getting to you? How long were you there?

Thanks Lorindol. My appt was also initially booked over 2 separate days but I needed to move the scan as it was very awkward timing for my partner. Rang central booking & then suggested to phone back closer to the date. When I called last Fri they had something available at 2pm Tues & then she suggested moving my booking appt to straight after as they had space, which was very handy. Not waiting too long at all for the scan, maybe 5-10 mins & then the booking appt moved along reasonably quick - was walking out the door just after 3.30pm.

The only thing is she mentioned the possibility to refer to physio if needed & I didn't say yes straight away, my back has been quite sore since. I have a preexisting lower back weakness so really should have. Went to antenatal yoga class last night & couldn't move afterwards! Going to ring the GP today & ask for a referral.

Good luck with yours next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fatboy69

Had my appointment yesterday, Did the booking, scan, bloods and midwife education session. Was there for 3hrs 40mins so should of taken my sisters advice and brought snacks. Im a little further along that I though and due the 30th Aug. So nice to be able to tell people now.
    The Relief is huge and feel I can look forward to it now :)

fatboy69 wrote: »
    Had my appointment yesterday, Did the booking, scan, bloods and midwife education session. Was there for 3hrs 40mins so should of taken my sisters advice and brought snacks. Im a little further along that I though and due the 30th Aug. So nice to be able to tell people now.
    The Relief is huge and feel I can look forward to it now :)

What hospital was that at? My GP did complete blood work at my initial appt & posted out the results to bring to my booking appt, so they only did urine analysis, weight & midwife session (plus scan) at mine - which is maybe why it was faster?

In the Intreo waiting room now to get my Public Services card ordered - feels like I'm in the Corona virus incubation zone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 fatboy69

It was Waterford hospital. Its renowned for being very slow appointments. Was expecting it to be alot worse by what others had told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pma555

I'm post primary teacher. It's my understanding that as sub cover is provided you are not insured if your in the building so you're meant to take the whole day (I'm open to correction though). As school secretary said to me, no-one will remember/thank you for rushing back to school so make the most of it as it's a busy enough job as it is.

Ok thanks to all the teachers. I plan on taking the whole day if we are entitled to it, and we are as you kindly informed me :) Last question on this topic, apologies if its a stupid question but do the days come from our sick leave entitlement? Will appointment days be docked from our sick leave?

pma555 wrote:
    Ok thanks to all the teachers. I plan on taking the whole day if we are entitled to it, and we are as you kindly informed me Last question on this topic, apologies if its a stupid question but do the days come from our sick leave entitlement? Will appointment days be docked from our sick leave?

No it comes under antenatal care appointments, you're also entitled to attend one set of antenatal classes. You're expected to give two week notice of each appointment. This info is taken from the INTO app 'Guide to teachers leave'

Yep as Cash said it goes onto the OLCS as antenatal if you ask whoever inputs the dates in your school to put them in as that. I havent told my principal yet. Just the lady in the office as otherwise it would have to go in as sick leave.

If you happen to go out on pregnancy related sick leave it does count as sick leave but as far as I'm aware if you happened to max out your sick leave enititlement they take it into account and only count half the pregnancy related days.

How are people feeling about all the coronavirus hype? I'm a bit nervous, especially in a school setting as it's a breeding ground for infections. Doesn't help that we have staff members who have just returned from Northern Italy and we also have a school trip to Italy due to happen in next few weeks..🙈

Havent had my flu jab yet. Really need to get that sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Kids caught me in a bit of a bind just now. Youngest (4) saw me getting out of the shower and commented that my belly was getting bigger because the baby is getting bigger and needs more room. This caught me off-guard as my belly is much bigger-looking (I'm overweight and also bloated and nearly 10 weeks so a combination of the 3). I asked her why she thought there was a baby in there and she swifty and surely said "Daddy told me." Questioned the eldest (5.5) and she said Daddy had told her too. Daddy denies it and of course I believe him because there's literally no reason to tell them. They have an aunt expecting as well as a distant cousin who they would see regularly, so I'm just hoping they made an assumption on what I "look like" and used Daddy as a scapegoat :pac:

How are people feeling about all the coronavirus hype? I'm a bit nervous, especially in a school setting as it's a breeding ground for infections. Doesn't help that we have staff members who have just returned from Northern Italy and we also have a school trip to Italy due to happen in next few weeks..🙈

I trying not to worry about it as I do think it's a lot of hype, worrying won't change anything either. Your school might cancel that trip if things keep going the way they're going. As regards your colleagues I suppose you just have to hope they're ok..that would unsettle me to be honest.

I'm only worrying about other people stockpiling things leaving shops short, I'm not really worried about getting sick from it.

Hi All,

There is a student in my school with the mumps. Also the area I work in has had an outbreak of mumps among young teenagers.

Do you guys think I should be worried? I left a voice mail for my doctor, I am waiting for her to call me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

How far gone are you? I think the main concern is if you are in the first trimester it can cause and increased risk of miscarriage. Its so annoying when these things are preventable with the vaccines. some people are very selfish. If you are worried talk to your principal and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Hi All,

There is a student in my school with the mumps. Also the area I work in has had an outbreak of mumps among young teenagers.

Do you guys think I should be worried? I left a voice mail for my doctor, I am waiting for her to call me back.

Pma5555 if the doc says you should take time off, I’d imagine it could count at Health and Safety leave?

My principal unfortunately is not the most supportive or approachable person.

When I did approach her to say I know a child in the school has mumps she rang the hse. Hse said I am low risk. I am nearly 10 weeks. I am still waiting to speak to my doctor. A letter has gone out to all students and staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

My principal unfortunately is not the most supportive or approachable person.

When I did approach her to say I know a child in the school has mumps she rang the hse. Hse said I am low risk. I am nearly 10 weeks. I am still waiting to speak to my doctor. A letter has gone out to all students and staff.

Would you ring your union in the meantime and have a chat with them, see where you stand. I wouldn’t have the most supportive principal myself but hopefully the Union and the doc give you a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

pma555, definitely put yourself and your baby first!!
    This is from the INTO, in relation to Health and Safety Leave 'Although the advice of the woman’s own doctors should be followed, the decision to approve health and safety leave will rest with the occupational health service, Medmark.'

If you can't get signed off for health and safety reasons then I'd get a sick cert starting tomorrow, don't need to specify why. If your GP is reluctant tell them that this is causing undue stress on you and you're worried that will affect the pregnancy.

Horrible when the principal isn't supportive, as others have said, put your pregnancy first and forget about any reaction from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Hey all hope are are doing well :)

Can anyone advise when we need to attend the gp? I self referred to the Coombe so I haven't actually discussed my pregnancy with my gp yet but I'm not sure when I need to start those visits. Any ideas?

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Hey all hope are are doing well :)

Can anyone advise when we need to attend the gp? I self referred to the Coombe so I haven't actually discussed my pregnancy with my gp yet but I'm not sure when I need to start those visits. Any ideas?

My GP told me to return to him for my first combined care visit at 12 weeks.

Thank you to all who advised on the mumps issue.

So after phone calls back and forth to the GP, I was told to ring the Coombe to check my immunity status. The Coombe knew this information from my last pregnancy. So they checked my rubella count and it showed I was immune, which would imply I was immune to the mumps aswell. So all is good, however I have heard there is still a 20% chance you can catch mumps even if you were vaccinated.

I am out of work sick next week anyway as my husband is having a hip replacement, so the timing was good to be out of the school building!

I hope everyone is doing well. I am having the harmony test in the Coombe on Tuesday, so this will include my first scan. I am just over 10 weeks pregnant. My morning sickness has eased which im happy about.

Plum Pud wrote:

First GP visit is usually to register for Combined Care then next GP visit is at 24 weeks as far as I remember, even though you've self referred to the Coombe I imagine they might want you to come in to register with them at the GP. My first pregnancy I was charged for this but second pregnancy I wasn't.

How's everyone feeling?

I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and due to have scan on Wednesday. Feeling a bit nervous and anxious. Fingers crossed all is as it should be.

Feeling pretty ok apart from tiredness. Tiredness is on another level, literally cannot keep my eyes open in the evenings. Boobs havent been sore for a few weeks. And I'm struggling with food. Meant to be following diabetic diet as had GD in last pregnancy but nothing appeals except really plain carbs like cereal, toast & crackers. Tried to eat a veggie curry with brown rice the other day and had to give up as I was gagging. Really gone off meat too. Getting first bloods on Wed to check for diabetes too. Fingers crossed it's ok as I really havent been eating as well as I should.

I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and due to have scan on Wednesday. Feeling a bit nervous and anxious. Fingers crossed all is as it should be.

12w yesterday and scan on Wednesday too, nervous and anxious too but hoping for the best, we had an early scan at 8w and saw heartbeat so that's reassuring.

Also cant face much food, couldnt finish my breakfast today and I only had an ice cream for dinner last night ffs, nausea and nerves i think. Bad night with our neighbours so had bad sleep too and my toddler was in our bed from 1am and woke for the day at 5.30...bringing her swimming at 10, think I'll need a nap after!

• Advertisement

11 weeks on Tuesday and pretty much all of my symptoms are gone besides ravenous hunger that spans the day and night (for anything with protein or cheese in it) and my nipples are on FIRE. Glad the nausea and the tiredness has settled down. Not got a date for a scan yet, though :(

Advertisement