Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

I'm not buying it either. Its a really tough one. I'm also not sure what questions you could ask because obviously hand hygiene and social distancing are up there but hopefully she will be forthcoming with information although I suspect there may not be much more than what we know. My main worry is work really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Plum Pud wrote: »
    I'm not buying it either. Its a really tough one. I'm also not sure what questions you could ask because obviously hand hygiene and social distancing are up there but hopefully she will be forthcoming with information although I suspect there may not be much more than what we know. My main worry is work really.

I can't really see how we are not at a higher risk, given the damage a fever can do. Our immune systems do not work at full capacity when pregnant either.

We're still waiting for a test here and have been told it will be another week, as there is no test centre in Monaghan. Myself, both my children and my husband are all ill - no cases in Monaghan my arse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I can't really see how we are not at a higher risk, given the damage a fever can do. Our immune systems do not work at full capacity when pregnant either.

We're still waiting for a test here and have been told it will be another week, as there is no test centre in Monaghan. Myself, both my children and my husband are all ill - no cases in Monaghan my arse :rolleyes:

Another week? That’s ridiculous! And you’re unwell now too? You poor thing. There seems to be huge backlog for testing apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Premem

Congrats! It's such a relief to get that first scan out of the way!

Mine's on Friday, but unfortunately I've been informed that because of the infection risk, my husband will not be allowed to attend. This puts us in a real bind as my childminder in these instances is my mother, who obviously shouldn't take the kids. If my husband stays home with them, I will have to rely on public transport to get me there and back (seems like a much higher risk given the new info on pregnancy). Will have to ring Drogheda on Thursday and see what they suggest. Husband is absolutely devastated :(

Hi ShaShaBear,
    Sorry only seeing your reply now, I work in the hotel and wedding industry and have and absolute rollercoaster of a week.
    Did you attend your appointment on Friday
    I was just lucky that mine was the week before all this happened.

Premem wrote: »
    Hi ShaShaBear,
    Sorry only seeing your reply now, I work in the hotel and wedding industry and have and absolute rollercoaster of a week.
    Did you attend your appointment on Friday
    I was just lucky that mine was the week before all this happened.

No, everyone in the house is symptomatic of covid-19 and we are waiting to be tested, so I am not allowed to attend the hospital until there is a negative test

• Advertisement

No, everyone in the house is symptomatic of covid-19 and we are waiting to be tested, so I am not allowed to attend the hospital until there is a negative test

Hi ShaShaBear,

How are Ye all doing? x

awny wrote: »
    Hi ShaShaBear,

How are Ye all doing? x

Still all quite poorly save my husband, who came out of it quickly enough and is settled on something of a head-cold. We're very lucky in that we have a lot of indoor hobbies and are very happy in each other's company so the isolation isn't too bad. Got another 1.5 weeks to wait before I can contact the hospital about a booking appointment assuming symptoms are gone by then, as nobody has been tested yet.

Thanks for asking though, hope you are doing well yourself!

Still all quite poorly save my husband, who came out of it quickly enough and is settled on something of a head-cold. We're very lucky in that we have a lot of indoor hobbies and are very happy in each other's company so the isolation isn't too bad. Got another 1.5 weeks to wait before I can contact the hospital about a booking appointment assuming symptoms are gone by then, as nobody has been tested yet.

Thanks for asking though, hope you are doing well yourself!

At least the isolation isn’t going too badly. Have you been tested? Pregnant women are in the vulnerable group so you should definitely be able to be tested. I know it has to be done but Very annoying about the scan.

awny wrote: »
    At least the isolation isn’t going too badly. Have you been tested? Pregnant women are in the vulnerable group so you should definitely be able to be tested. I know it has to be done but Very annoying about the scan.

No, nothing yet. GP told me that while I am at a higher risk of contracting it, I am not at a higher risk of suffering from it, so I'll likely be treated the same as everyone else. My in-laws were taken off the list yesterday after being called and asked if they still had symptoms, which they did not. Considering they were in Italy, and their symptoms lasted shy of a fortnight and they were on the list well over a week, I find it shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

Hi everyone! I'm 15+5 today, due September 14th in CUMH with my first so this is all very new to me...

Just wondering if you should be visiting your GP at 16 weeks? The midwife gave me a list of appointments I should be attending at my booking visit and a 16 week GP appointment wasn't mentioned but I know that a lot of people do attend at 16 weeks?? I'm just wondering if it's necessary considering the situation at the moment I am trying to limit my outside contact as much as possible!

Also do you ladies have a date for your anomaly scans yet, particularly in CUMH? I was booked in for the scan at my booking visit but I haven't received a date yet. As it stands I have the obstetrician appointment at the end of April.

Thanks ladies!

• Advertisement

anfield90 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm 15+5 today, due September 14th in CUMH with my first so this is all very new to me...

Just wondering if you should be visiting your GP at 16 weeks? The midwife gave me a list of appointments I should be attending at my booking visit and a 16 week GP appointment wasn't mentioned but I know that a lot of people do attend at 16 weeks?? I'm just wondering if it's necessary considering the situation at the moment I am trying to limit my outside contact as much as possible!

Also do you ladies have a date for your anomaly scans yet, particularly in CUMH? I was booked in for the scan at my booking visit but I haven't received a date yet. As it stands I have the obstetrician appointment at the end of April.

Thanks ladies!

From what I remember, your appointments are meant to be 4 weeks apart. So after you have a hospital appointment, you go to the GP for combined care 4 weeks later and so on until.... 30 weeks I think? Then it's every two weeks you switch.
    Can't help RE anomaly, not done as standard in either of the hospitals close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

anfield90 wrote:

Congrats Anfield90

Were you given any return appointments for the hospital? I had my booking appointment early on and am booked in to see a consultant in the hospital at approx 17 weeks (originally booked for 15w but I had to reschedule). I'm expecting them to tell me when to book in with GP and give me another hospital appt. There is an approximate schedule if you Google "combined care schedule of appointments" but they can vary a bit. Maybe ring your GP if you're not sure?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes there is a 16 week GP appointment.You can make it yourself, but it is actually the only one that I think I skipped on 2 pregnancies (mostly accidentally).The third pregnancy, I made the appointment and the GP was a little surprised.

I would say it is entirely up to how you feel.It is a long wait from 12 weeks to the 20 week scan, but if you don't have any concerns, and under the circumstances, you might be happier to miss it.Maybe ring your GP and see alright but I would say it will come down to personal choice.

Thanks ladies!

Hiya,

I’m going to Cork for my second bubs but I’m going privately so don’t deal with the hospital in the same way. On my first, I was seen by my consultant except for the anamoly scan which is done in CUMH by the sonographers between 21 and 23 weeks iirc.

I’m nearly 14 weeks myself and no sign of any date. But from what I remember from last time, they are fairly busy and only sent scan dates maybe 2-3 weeks in advance? So you mightnt hear from them for another while. Let us know when you do tho x

Congrats Annfield90 :)

I'm attending the Coombe and when I had my 12 week scan, my anomoly was booked as I was leaving so I've had the date since then. I also have a consultants appointment next week when I'll be 17+3. I haven't been to my gp at all yet as I self referred to the hospital so gp hasn't confirmed my pregnancy. I'm sure I'll be told next week what the next appointment is and who it is with and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your advice, much needed on the first :)

I think it best if I ring the GP Monday just to check in. I've had no issues so far so even if I could just speak with my GP over the phone rather than calling in it would be great. I'm a good few weeks away from the anomaly scan anyway but I got my other appointments so fast after confirming the pregnancy I was just worried about the delay in getting the scan date.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I'm in the coombe also. I had an early booking appointment at 8 weeks due to diabetes on last pregnancy but it was just midwife taking history, urine and bloods. I didnt see a consultant. But I was in on Friday to see the consultant. He told me to see GP in 5 weeks and back to him in 10 weeks and anomaly scan will fall between both of them( currently 15 weeks).

Like other poster, I was also given my 20 week scan appointment when leaving after 12 week one.

I'm in the coombe also. I had an early booking appointment at 8 weeks due to diabetes on last pregnancy but it was just midwife taking history, urine and bloods. I didnt see a consultant. But I was in on Friday to see the consultant. He told me to see GP in 5 weeks and back to him in 10 weeks and anomaly scan will fall between both of them( currently 15 weeks).

Hope your appointment went well?

How was the hospital in general? Did you find the waiting times better than usual? I've heard they're being really strict on social distancing which is good but I am anxious about spending a long time in a waiting room.

So my understanding is with the coombe, all antenatal appointments are in the morning and gynae appointments in the afternoon. They've cancelled most gynae (allowing only for urgent cases where necessary) so as a result they spread antenatal over the course of the day to reduce waiting room capacity and this should address social distancing. I'm expecting to hear my appointment time has changed to allow for this spread so once I hear and once I attend next week I will let you know. Thankfully they've recently upgraded their waiting room and I'm hoping the wait times won't be too long either :)

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Hope your appointment went well?

How was the hospital in general? Did you find the waiting times better than usual? I've heard they're being really strict on social distancing which is good but I am anxious about spending a long time in a waiting room.

Yeah it is quite strict. When you enter the main hospital there is someone waiting to ask you if you have symptoms, been in contact with anyone with covid19 etc.. They only let you in if happy with the responses. Hospital is a lot quieter than normal and they have markings etc on the ground. Hand sanitizer everywhere too

However, I was still waiting just over an hour and a half to see the consultant. Dunno why it was so long because there were only 3 or 4 people in ahead of me and I was with him for all of 3 or 4 mins tops. Took blood pressure, checked my urine and did a very quick scan. He must of been late starting or an emergency or something.

I was also in for bloods last week and was told to sit in my car for the hour between blood tests. I was happy to do that, to be honest. Definitely felt a bit anxious waiting the hour and a half to see the consultant. A good few women wearing masks and gloves too. All a bit surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks everyone for your advice, much needed on the first :)

I think it best if I ring the GP Monday just to check in. I've had no issues so far so even if I could just speak with my GP over the phone rather than calling in it would be great. I'm a good few weeks away from the anomaly scan anyway but I got my other appointments so fast after confirming the pregnancy I was just worried about the delay in getting the scan date.

I’m not a Sept 2020 mom but did have my baby at CUMH. They don’t send out the anomaly appt until 2 weeks before the scan is due and they were doing the scans around 21-22 weeks.

Plum Pud wrote:
    So my understanding is with the coombe, all antenatal appointments are in the morning and gynae appointments in the afternoon. They've cancelled most gynae (allowing only for urgent cases where necessary) so as a result they spread antenatal over the course of the day to reduce waiting room capacity and this should address social distancing. I'm expecting to hear my appointment time has changed to allow for this spread so once I hear and once I attend next week I will let you know. Thankfully they've recently upgraded their waiting room and I'm hoping the wait times won't be too long either

On my last pregnancy the waiting room for my consultant was past the midwives station and down a few steps and I'd say this room was about 2m x4m with about 30 women in it and about 10 seats, I really hope I'm not put in there even if there's only a few of us.
    However, I was still waiting just over an hour and a half to see the consultant. Dunno why it was so long because there were only 3 or 4 people in ahead of me and I was with him for all of 3 or 4 mins tops. Took blood pressure, checked my urine and did a very quick scan. He must of been late starting or an emergency or something.

I had that kind of wait on my last pregnancy, lots of us had 8am appointments, he arrived at around 9.45 in scrubs so maybe he just came from a delivery. Midwives did BP and urine on arrival, when I was called at 10.30 he just talked through my thyroid meds and did a quick scan. It seems like such a crazy system to have everyone arrive at the same time instead of staggering the appointments. I really wish I didn't have to go near the place.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    On my last pregnancy the waiting room for my consultant was past the midwives station and down a few steps and I'd say this room was about 2m x4m with about 30 women in it and about 10 seats, I really hope I'm not put in there even if there's only a few of us.

I had that kind of wait on my last pregnancy, lots of us had 8am appointments, he arrived at around 9.45 in scrubs so maybe he just came from a delivery. Midwives did BP and urine on arrival, when I was called at 10.30 he just talked through my thyroid meds and did a quick scan. It seems like such a crazy system to have everyone arrive at the same time instead of staggering the appointments. I really wish I didn't have to go near the place.

Is your consultant Gunther? I was down the steps in that tiny space too. But only allowing 4 woman down at a time at the minute. I only had him for 1 appointment last time because I got moved to diabetic clinic after that. Good chance that will happen again this time. Midwives aren't doing BP and urine at the min. He did it all.

Is your consultant Gunther? I was down the steps in that tiny space too. But only allowing 4 woman down at a time at the minute. I only had him for 1 appointment last time because I got moved to diabetic clinic after that. Good chance that will happen again this time. Midwives aren't doing BP and urine at the min. He did it all.

Yes I have Gunther too! Ah right that's reassuring about that waiting room, thank you! I suppose they're trying to minimise all staff's need for contact with patients by having him do it all. Last time I was allowed to attend the midwives clinic in Tallaght after my first appointment with him so I'm hoping that will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Thanks ladies!

Hi Anfield90 I'm due the same date in CUMH too.
    At my booking app the midwife requested the date for the anomoly scan and i was given a date to meet the obstetrician. the date for the scan came in the post about a week later. Both are happening in early May for me when I'm about 21 weeks
    Regarding visiting GP, midwife at booking app said to call to get whooping cough vaccine between 16-32 weeks and in my notes says to visit GP at 24 weeks.
    So i'm going to wait until the 24 weeks for that visit.

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Hi Anfield90 I'm due the same date in CUMH too.
    At my booking app the midwife requested the date for the anomoly scan and i was given a date to meet the obstetrician. the date for the scan came in the post about a week later. Both are happening in early May for me when I'm about 21 weeks
    Regarding visiting GP, midwife at booking app said to call to get whooping cough vaccine between 16-32 weeks and in my notes says to visit GP at 24 weeks.
    So i'm going to wait until the 24 weeks for that visit.

Thanks for the info Lorindol31. It's been nearly 4 weeks since the midwife requested the scan date for me. I contacted CUMH today and they said it hadn't been booked yet but I should get a letter in the next few weeks confirming the date. So strange that you were given your scan date but I won't get mine for a few weeks even though we are due on the same day.... I won't be able to rest now until I get the date :eek:

Thanks for the info Lorindol31. It's been nearly 4 weeks since the midwife requested the scan date for me. I contacted CUMH today and they said it hadn't been booked yet but I should get a letter in the next few weeks confirming the date. So strange that you were given your scan date but I won't get mine for a few weeks even though we are due on the same day.... I won't be able to rest now until I get the date :eek:

I’d ring again in a fortnight if you still have heard. You’ll be 18 weeks then ya? I’ll be ringing around them if I still haven’t heard from them x

Finally off for my booking appointment this morning. Husband has to stay outside with the two kids in the car so I have to hope nothing goes wrong there while I'm stuck in the hospital! Anxiety is through the roof, but hopefully by lunch-time we will be back on the road with some photos in my hand :o

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Finally off for my booking appointment this morning. Husband has to stay outside with the two kids in the car so I have to hope nothing goes wrong there while I'm stuck in the hospital! Anxiety is through the roof, but hopefully by lunch-time we will be back on the road with some photos in my hand

Best of luck with, let us know how you get on! So you're all over the sickness then? Did you ever get tested in the end?

• Advertisement

Finally off for my booking appointment this morning. Husband has to stay outside with the two kids in the car so I have to hope nothing goes wrong there while I'm stuck in the hospital! Anxiety is through the roof, but hopefully by lunch-time we will be back on the road with some photos in my hand :o

Best of luck x

Advertisement