Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Anyone else's sleep all over the place? I'm waking a lot with sore back/full bladder discomfort. Also having very vivid dreams. 2 night ago dreamt I lost the baby and last night I dreamt I gave birth.... losing the plot clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Anyone else's sleep all over the place? I'm waking a lot with sore back/full bladder discomfort. Also having very vivid dreams. 2 night ago dreamt I lost the baby and last night I dreamt I gave birth.... losing the plot clearly!

I'm still waking twice a night with a full bladder and cannot lie on my back or stomach, so often wake uncomfortable mid-roll :pac:
    Very, very vivid dreams, three in the past month of my husband and I separating for the most bizarre reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Yeah I wasnt sleeping great from the start, had a few good weeks there but I think it was more that I had a chest infection and I was wiped fighting it, awake for 2-3 hours every night now. Dont know how much of that is pregnancy and how much is just not needing sleep as I'm sitting around the house so much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Plum Pud wrote: »
    Absolutely, every little helps!!!

Can you recommend a breast pump. I started bf'ing last time but only lasted a few days... Really want to make a solid effort this time.

It’s recommended not to pump for the first 6 weeks because it can lead to oversupply while your supply is being established. I would say you’d be better off saving your money for a lactation consultant if you need one.

bee06 wrote:
    It’s recommended not to pump for the first 6 weeks because it can lead to oversupply while your supply is being established. I would say you’d be better off saving your money for a lactation consultant if you need one.

Interesting I heard this point shared elsewhere the other day.

On my first I delivered by C section at 37w and I've an underactive thyroid, so these factors all affected my supply. Baby was very sleepy on the breast and lost more than 10% birth weight (she was only 5,5 at birth anyway) so I was encouraged to top up with EBM and formula to get her weight back up so we could be discharged. Giving the formula started a vicious cycle that meant my supply never came in and after 3 weeks of triple jobbing I switched to formula entirrly as I was so exhausted from it all.

I'd like to avoid repeating this pattern but not sure what to do if this baby is losing weight and not feeding well at the breast. We had a good latch from the start according to multiple midwives but she just kept falling asleep and the idea of the EBM was to measure what she was getting, but I was only getting about 10ml on one side and a dribble from the other while in hospital, eventually increasing after 3 weeks to 70/80ml on that side and 10ml from the other. Sorry for the ramble its probably not easy to advise on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I too would 100% recommend hiring a private Lactation consultant the min you get home from hospital if you’re keen to breastfeed and have the means to do so. Even hiring one before to iron out previous breastfeeding issues can put you in a good position for the second go and a lot of them do online prep classes at the moment too. I never did one myself but I would if I’d known!

Honestly it’s luck of the draw the kind of advice on bf you get given by the folks in hospitals, some advice will be great and some will not be.

I fed my first no major issues. Then I had an awful time feeding my 2nd and I saw an LC the day after I was discharged, we got sorted and we were flying it once his tongue tie was released. He had lost a lot of weight so I was in the pumping topping up cycle and it was exhausting.

Breast pumps can be hired from hospital if you need one and i then ended up buying my own. I got a spectra s1 double as it could be used on subsequent babies as it’s a closed system meaning milk can’t get into the motor over time.
    Again a Lactation consultant is best to give pumping advice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Cash_Q wrote: »

On my first I delivered by C section at 37w and I've an underactive thyroid, so these factors all affected my supply. Baby was very sleepy on the breast and lost more than 10% birth weight (she was only 5,5 at birth anyway) so I was encouraged to top up with EBM and formula to get her weight back up so we could be discharged. Giving the formula started a vicious cycle that meant my supply never came in and after 3 weeks of triple jobbing I switched to formula entirrly as I was so exhausted from it all.

I'd like to avoid repeating this pattern but not sure what to do if this baby is losing weight and not feeding well at the breast. We had a good latch from the start according to multiple midwives but she just kept falling asleep and the idea of the EBM was to measure what she was getting, but I was only getting about 10ml on one side and a dribble from the other while in hospital, eventually increasing after 3 weeks to 70/80ml on that side and 10ml from the other. Sorry for the ramble its probably not easy to advise on!

I am due my third at the very end of August. I had a similar experience on my first....was told to pump etc. It was a disaster. I think I managed 5 weeks. My own milk ended up drying up.

On my second I was determined to BF. It worked too well as in my second fella never took a bottle for me....only stopped feeding him just before he turned 2!

If I have problems and need top ups this time I am going to get this.... https://www.medela.com/breastfeeding/products/feeding/supplemental-nursing-system

I actually asked for it on my first but no one knew what I was talking about!! This is what they use in Canada. They do not too up with bottles. You can either put formula or EBM in it...then the tubes get taped onto your breasts....the baby latches on and feeds from the breast and the tube at the same time.

Didn’t bother pumping on the second much at all....only if I had a clogged duct etc. I bought a Spectra pump on amazon that turns into a double.....closed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Cash_Q wrote: »

Great advice from the previous two posters. I should caveat my comment about not pumping to say there are some reasons why it might be needed but it is always best to get the advice of a lactation consultant (IBCLC registered) because they will work with you to reduce pumping and get baby back feeding as soon as possible. As you say, you were triple jobbing and that is not sustainable with a newborn (especially since you’ll have a toddler this time too!).

You could link in with the LC before you give birth as well for some advice especially with your thyroid issues. With the best will in the world midwives aren’t breastfeeding experts for the most part and may give incorrect advice, miss tongue tie etc. Some of them will tell you what you need to do just to get out of the hospital but it isn’t a long term breastfeeding solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

My little boy was moved into SCBU for jaundice when he was 3 days old. I had to breastfeed every 3 hours and then he was topped up with formula initially. I was told to express after each feed and then they topped him up with ebm. Millem that looks like an interesting set up how exactly does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

awny wrote: »
    My little boy was moved into SCBU for jaundice when he was 3 days old. I had to breastfeed every 3 hours and then he was topped up with formula initially. I was told to express after each feed and then they topped him up with ebm. Millem that looks like an interesting set up how exactly does it work?

It’s a great gadget....my sis used it. Her 11lb baby had jaundice and needed the light treatment.
    You can put formula or EBM in the pouch which you wear around your neck. The two tubes are connected to the pouch. You tape the two tubes one to each breast. When baby latches they get nipple and the tube.

The sucking will increase mum’s supply in the case of low supply.
    They also use syringes too but I think that gadget is better. I wish I had had it on my first! You can buy the gadget here for €50.

I feel topping up with a bottle for me on first was a disaster for breastfeeding.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    It’s a great gadget....my sis used it. Her 11lb baby had jaundice and needed the light treatment.
    You can put formula or EBM in the pouch which you wear around your neck. The two tubes are connected to the pouch. You tape the two tubes one to each breast. When baby latches they get nipple and the tube.

The sucking will increase mum’s supply in the case of low supply.
    They also use syringes too but I think that gadget is better. I wish I had had it on my first! You can buy the gadget here for €50.

I feel topping up with a bottle for me on first was a disaster for breastfeeding.

Thanks a million, will Defo look into purchasing. I have the double spectra pump from my lb so I’ll be hopefully using that this time.

Ladies, anyone that has two babies, did you use a sling? Any recommendations? There will only be 18/19 months between my two so I’d imagine that a sling or carrier is essential. I never used one on my lb.

Thanks a million, will Defo look into purchasing. I have the double spectra pump from my lb so I’ll be hopefully using that this time.

Ladies, anyone that has two babies, did you use a sling? Any recommendations? There will only be 18/19 months between my two so I’d imagine that a sling or carrier is essential. I never used one on my lb.

I couldn't recommend a specific brand, as I was gifted one that didn't have a known brand label on it. But I can definitely recommend a sling in general - my two girls (baby 1 and 2) are 17 months apart and it was an extreme help! I used it every day for getting around the house when she was clingy or if we were taking like a little walk that we didn't need to lug the buggy outside for and could hold my eldest girl's hand freely.

Thanks girls for the helpful advice. The Coombe offer consultations for those who may face issue with feeding eg underactive thyroid, but the ladies themselves told me "fed is best" which yes it is at the end of the day but it didn't really motivate me to push for BF, I'd been in hospital for 4 nights already by the time she was born so I would have done anything to get us out of there, 8 nights in total on those hard tiny beds! I just want to be armed with more knowledge this time around. That's gadget for around the neck looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Morning ladies, how's everyone doing? :)

Morning ladies, how's everyone doing? :)

Getting my first wee flutters of movement whenever I eat chocolate, definitely helping perk things up! Knitted a pair of baby socks to celebrate, very addictive!
    How about you, Plum?

Plum Pud wrote:
    Morning ladies, how's everyone doing?

Great thanks, saw consultant yesterday and all great, very quick scan and they booked me in for growth scans at 28w and 32w as my daughter was small so I'm really happy with that. Discussed section and treatment in the event of small baby/pre eclampsia which I had in previous pregnancy too.

How are you doing?
    ShaShaBear wrote:
    Getting my first wee flutters of movement whenever I eat chocolate, definitely helping perk things up! Knitted a pair of baby socks to celebrate, very addictive! How about you, Plum?

That is so sweet!! I thought I felt a bit of movement the other night in bed but not sure nothing since. Only 17 weeks so plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Ah that's amazing you felt something. I've had a few moments where I thought I might have felt something but not 100% sure. On my 17 weeks tmrw so not too worried.

I was in hospital AGAIN today. Like 4times in 3weeks for bloods etc... thankfully they've given me a glucose monitor so I can start testing blood sugars at home. Hoping it means I wont have to go in as often.

Been very lightheaded at times. Consultant mentioned my BP was low last time so think it's that. Also having bad headaches but not sure if it's down to increased screen time.

Oh that's lovely, ShaShaBear I wish I could knit 😂 the little flutters are lovely.. How many weeks are you now? I'm almost 19 and feeling the odd flutter but nothing consistent just yet :)

Cash Q, great about the growth scans - was there any particular reason re the low birth weight last time? I had growth scans too as my BP was high and I was medicated for it, but nothing was mentioned this time. I did have the conversation about c section or vbac which was reassuring.

I've to have a GTT in June, which makes me nervous because I am overweight! Had it last time too and it was grand but still...

I have my anomoly scan this day 3 weeks. Pretty sure things won't have improved by then and my hubby won't be able to attend, pretty devo over that, as is he.

I bought a pack of size 1 nappies today... I just needed something 😂

Oh that's lovely, ShaShaBear I wish I could knit 😂 the little flutters are lovely.. How many weeks are you now? I'm almost 19 and feeling the odd flutter but nothing consistent just yet :)

I've to have a GTT in June, which makes me nervous because I am overweight! Had it last time too and it was grand but still...

I'm actually only 15 weeks, but was very early feeling my first two as well. I've just been lucky with placenta placement so far! I suffer from IBS so gas pains and bubbles are my expertise. They are like Braxton Hicks and labor pains - BH makes you think they could be labor, but once you get the real ones you know. Gas bubbles and baby movement is like that!

As far as knitting goes, I taught myself specifically to make for the baby, I normally crochet but socks are best knitted!

Also have my GTT in June - first time getting it done and very nervous about being able to tolerate my fear of needles while starving and suffering a banging migraine from caffeine withdrawal!

Plum Pud wrote:
    Cash Q, great about the growth scans - was there any particular reason re the low birth weight last time? I had growth scans too as my BP was high and I was medicated for it, but nothing was mentioned this time. I did have the conversation about c section or vbac which was reassuring.

No and bump was measuring fine all along but I developed pre eclampsia at 36+5, maybe that had something to do with it, she was born at 37+2 so I intially thought she was small because she was early but then I went through my file with the Reflections service and it said 'suspected IUGR' but no indication as to why and Dr didn't mention any possible reasons either.

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear that's mad, I've had the odd twinge like a BH but didn't think I would have that this early but I'll jeep an eye on that for sure. I hope you're not suffering too bad with the ibs? I tried to teach myself how to crochet, I bought all the gear but I just cannot get the knack of it 😂
    I've had the GTT before it's not too bad but I can see why it would be if yiu have a needle fear. Fingers crossed for you in June :)

Cash Q, that's mad, I had my girl at 37+2 also. My notes said I was PET1 and despite me asking a million times in the last few weeks they constantly denied this so I won't be entertaining that this time round! Do you mind me asking what weight your baby was then?

Plum Pud wrote:
    Cash Q, that's mad, I had my girl at 37+2 also. My notes said I was PET1 and despite me asking a million times in the last few weeks they constantly denied this so I won't be entertaining that this time round! Do you mind me asking what weight your baby was then?

She was 5lbs5oz

ShaShaBear that's mad, I've had the odd twinge like a BH but didn't think I would have that this early but I'll jeep an eye on that for sure. I hope you're not suffering too bad with the ibs? I tried to teach myself how to crochet, I bought all the gear but I just cannot get the knack of it 😂
    I've had the GTT before it's not too bad but I can see why it would be if yiu have a needle fear. Fingers crossed for you in June :)

It's not too bad thankfully, I've been managing it with diet for years now so I more or less avoid any known triggers.
    Crochet is about all keeping me sane at home at the minute! It started out with a ball of cheap 50c yarn out of Dealz and now I have a stash of yarn with silk, cashmere, merino and cotton blends valued in the thousands :o:pac:
    I was very lucky with the booking bloods, the lady taking them had the cannula in my arm before I had my other one out of my coat :pac:

Plum Pud,

What’s PET1? CashQ I’m in a similar position but for the opposite reasons. My little boy was born at 36+6 and was 7lb 7.

He was measuring in the 80/85th percentile for weight but my waters went at 36+6.

My consultant has said that she’ll be keeping an eye on this baby for weight and if this baby is measuring big I’ll be induced at 38/39 weeks depending. I’m also of slim frame so she’s taking that into account.

It’s very reassuring that they are keeping an eye.

That's mad cash Q, my girl was 5lb5oz too :)

That's some stash you have ShaShaBear :D

Awny, PET1 is a level of pre-eclampsia. I believe it is the lowest risk factor but I still had it and they wouldn't tell me. I requested my chart after birth and it was written all over it which was not great!!

That's mad cash Q, my girl was 5lb5oz too :)

That's some stash you have ShaShaBear :D

Awny, PET1 is a level of pre-eclampsia. I believe it is the lowest risk factor but I still had it and they wouldn't tell me. I requested my chart after birth and it was written all over it which was not great!!

Thanks, I’d just never heard of it before! I’d be asking them at every appointment from now on the check for it. pre eclampsia is not something that they should be lax about.

I’m counting down the days till I’m with my consultant again, dying for a scan. I think I’m more anxious with everything going on!

anfield90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Lorindol31. It's been nearly 4 weeks since the midwife requested the scan date for me. I contacted CUMH today and they said it hadn't been booked yet but I should get a letter in the next few weeks confirming the date. So strange that you were given your scan date but I won't get mine for a few weeks even though we are due on the same day.... I won't be able to rest now until I get the date :eek:

Anfield90, did you get your date for your anamoly scan? x

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭anfield90

Anfield90, did you get your date for your anamoly scan? x

Not yet unfortunately. Heard a few times now that you get the appointment letter about 2 weeks before the scan so I'll try them again towards the end of next week if I haven't heard anything x

anfield90 wrote: »
    Not yet unfortunately. Heard a few times now that you get the appointment letter about 2 weeks before the scan so I'll try them again towards the end of next week if I haven't heard anything x

Ya I’m going to try them myself next week and see what the story. I’m down with my consultant anyway in 2 weeks so I’ll be scanned again then but I’d like to get the date of the anamoly scan. Will feel better when I have that out of the way!

• Advertisement

Morning ladies, how's everyone doing? All good here. I've just hit the 20 week mark and can't quiet believe how fast it's going. Plenty of movement the lady while too which has been nice :)

Advertisement