Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

One Rathdrum box Brady took 45% of the vote. I find that staggering.

There was two SF seats here if they had have ran a candidate from Arklow.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I've a strong feeling now that Valerie Cox might take a seat

So did I, surprised she's so low on the tallys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Brady, Harris, Whitmore definitely

then 1 FF (I reckon Casey could get ahead of Donnelly on transfers from Behan and Cox, but it'll be close)

Bunfight for the final seat, depends on whether Matthews can pick up a good chunk of Brady's surplus, otherwise Timmins or Doyle might get in ahead of him.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Brady, Harris, Whitmore definitely

then 1 FF (I reckon Casey could get ahead of Donnelly on transfers from Behan and Cox, but it'll be close)

Bunfight for the final seat, depends on whether Matthews can pick up a good chunk of Brady's surplus, otherwise Timmins or Doyle might get in ahead of him.

Casey very unlikely. Timmons will elect Doyle. Timmons is too isolated to pick up much transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

One Rathdrum box Brady took 45% of the vote. I find that staggering.

There was two SF seats here if they had have ran a candidate from Arklow.

I would imagine they are kicking themselves for not running more than one candidate in a number of constituencies not just wicklow.
    It would have been an absolute game changer for them (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Whoever runs FG in Wicklow should be sacked.

Despite everything, their vote was well above national average in Wicklow.... yet they had the stupidity of running 3 candidates.

Had they resisted taking back in the past-it Timmins, there was a slim chance they could have returned 2 seats.
    But that vote was instead split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Am I right in thinking it now looks like being Brady, Harris, Whitmore, Donnelly and Matthews?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking it now looks like being Brady, Harris, Whitmore, Donnelly and Matthews?

Looks that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

B0jangles wrote: »

Doyle has overtaken Matthews for the last spot. Joe Beehans transfers will decide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thought Donnelly was in trouble yesterday.

His vote really dropped compared to 2016.

Interesting fight for last seat.

Woudn't Behan's transfers mostly go to Matthews, especially with both being Bray candidates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Doyle has overtaken Matthews for the last spot. Joe Beehans transfers will decide it.

Doyle gone all 5 seats filled
    Matthew's green taking the last

So its Brady whitmore Harris Donnelly and Mathews

Whoever runs FG in Wicklow should be sacked.

Despite everything, their vote was well above national average in Wicklow.... yet they had the stupidity of running 3 candidates.

Had they resisted taking back in the past-it Timmins, there was a slim chance they could have returned 2 seats.
    But that vote was instead split

Timmins hoovers up the west wicklow vote, there's no guarantee those votes would have gone to Doyle. Also if they hadn't taken him back, Timmins may well have run as an independent.

I'm happy with the result, glad to see Matthews and Whitmore get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

Timmins hoovers up the west wicklow vote, there's no guarantee those votes would have gone to Doyle. Also if they hadn't taken him back, Timmins may well have run as an independent.

I'm happy with the result, glad to see Matthews and Whitmore get in.

Its a good diverse spread of TD's, just a shame they're all from the north east of the county. Hopefully they don't forget about the southern and western electoral districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

prunudo wrote: »
    Its a good diverse spread of TD's, just a shame they're all from the north east of the county. Hopefully they don't forget about the southern and western electoral districts.

Maybe time to redraw the electoral boundary. 75% of the constituency population is in Braystones.
    Bray to be subsumed to Dublin South, Greystones to East Finchley :rolleyes:.

tradtshirt wrote: »
    Maybe time to redraw the electoral boundary. 75% of the constituency population is in Braystones.

it's nowhere near 75%. Population of the county is 140K, but the constituency also includes a bit of Carlow.

Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole, Enniskerry combined populations are probably around 60K.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

it's nowhere near 75%. Population of the county is 140K, but the constituency also includes a bit of Carlow.

Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole, Enniskerry combined populations are probably around 60K.
    Well it was on Billy Timmins' election leaflet so it must be right. Billy wouldn't lie, not that shiny baby face. But seriously the issues in Braystones are not the issues in Shillelagh or Carnew. Braystones feels completely disengaged from rural Wicklow, its suburbia. The Swords of the southside. If Kildare can have 2 constituencies with a marked suburban/rural divide, why not Wicklow.

It's one reason bray needs BUDC back.
    Too much focus on it for WCC to handle, and Bray's concerns are not WCC concerns.

#Brayxit 😂

It's one reason bray needs BUDC back.
    Too much focus on it for WCC to handle, and Bray's concerns are not WCC concerns.

#Brayxit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well it was on Billy Timmins' election leaflet so it must be right. Billy wouldn't lie, not that shiny baby face. But seriously the issues in Braystones are not the issues in Shillelagh or Carnew. Braystones feels completely disengaged from rural Wicklow, its suburbia. The Swords of the southside. If Kildare can have 2 constituencies with a marked suburban/rural divide, why not Wicklow.

Because the population isn't there to support a 5 seater without some bits of Carlow; let alone 2x3

The 74-77 constituencies put part of Bray in Dublin amongst other changes but were massively unpopular for many, many reasons and was backed out to try keep to county boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Consitituency is just county of Wicklow since boundary change in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah. It's about 60%

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Carlow is gone. It was returned to Carlos. It amused me that some candidates didn't know.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

any map I looked at still had the "head" of Carlow included.

Nah. It's about 60%

it's 43% according to the municipal district populations listed here (the MD's would include the surrounding countryside and adjacent villages like Enniskerry and Kilcoole: https://data.gov.ie/dataset/co-wicklow-municipal-districts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Carlow is gone for definite since 2017
    It's just Wicklow
    You'll see that on the Dáil website

any map I looked at still had the "head" of Carlow included.

it's 43% according to the municipal district populations listed here (the MD's would include the surrounding countryside and adjacent villages like Enniskerry and Kilcoole: https://data.gov.ie/dataset/co-wicklow-municipal-districts)

I think the electorate size is different from the population size though

Terry Pratchet

I think the electorate size is different from the population size though

it is, but I'd imagine the proportion isn't all that different.

Advertisement