Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hinges on folding ladder not locking

• 18-01-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I have a folding ladder, one like this:
    Foldable-Ladder-1.jpeg

So it has these locking hinges:
    1d18776c26f724a183b6c6a1ef465b5a.jpg

The issue is that the hinges aren't locking for me on it. I have the locks in the open position and I fold the ladder open. However doesnt lock again. I have tried locking it myself and can't.

I'm not overly familiar with these ladders. I'm wondering if I didnt have the locks in the open position previously and pulled the ladder open, could I possibly have broken the locks? Is it possible they are just jammed? Or is there anything I can possibly do to fix it?

Sorry I know this question is a bit vague, let me know if I can provide any more details!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this happening on multiple joints on the ladder?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this happening on multiple joints on the ladder?

Yeah, its happening on these 4 joints:
    ladder.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If it's new return it. If you've had it for a long time try spraying a bit of graphite or oil. If the locking tabs won't move you may need to force them a little

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

+1. 0n what muffler's post, have had one of these ladder for years, never had a problem with the hinges locking, can be a bit stiff to operate the release tabs from time to time.

If you've be extended those 2 hinges to their fullest, they should lock instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You might need to wiggle the ladder so the locking pin can engage the slot in the opposite side, or open it and give it a tap with a screwdriver handle to allow it to run freely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

did it get wet by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Spray them with WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

GreeBo wrote: »
    did it get wet by any chance?

It actually did. Its been left outside for the past 2 weeks. What does that mean for the locks if they were damaged by the rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say it’s unlikely to be faulty if it’s multiple joints.

Lubricate then see. Compare with the hinge in the middle. It’s a simple mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lauras Law wrote: »
    It actually did. Its been left outside for the past 2 weeks. What does that mean for the locks if they were damaged by the rain?

its probably just means they are "stuck" and you should be able to work them loose with a bit of force and some WD-40/3-in-one/grease

but it could mean that parts of it have rusted and the ladder is now toast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Lauras Law wrote: »

I doubt two weeks in the rain would damage the hinges. As before, dose them with WD40 and when it dries out pack with Vaseline.

Advertisement