Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey Minister for Health

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

“I’d give him one” says Mary Mcgee from Muff.....

(A vote...ffs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

So Peter if he gets elected would like to be minister for health. Sure why not , the present lad was ajournalism student ( not sure he graduated though).
    A business man as minister could work. Although I'd be surprised if he gets elected.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/peter-casey-on-the-campaign-trail-my-ideal-job-would-be-minister-for-health-1.4144314?mode=amp

He couldn’t have picked a lot easier constituencies to get elected in than Donegal .
    Donegal is one of the few counties that isn’t destroyed by traveller crime .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LuasSimon wrote: »
    He couldn’t have picked a lot easier constituencies to get elected in than Donegal .

Racist !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Maybe a business man/woman would be more fiscally sound with tax payers money.

HSE needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, cant see it happening....ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

I have no doubt that Casey has privatisation of the health service on his mind. He quite possibly has American contacts/colleagues/partners planning on this very thing and ready to pounce.
    Be extremely wary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lackey wrote: »
    Maybe a business man/woman would be more fiscally sound with tax payers money.

HSE needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, cant see it happening....ever.

Why would a business person put the tax payer first? The business model is about profit not good service and value for money.
    Business people are the last people should be allowed near services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

He promised to give up the Presidential salary and instead give a monthly payment to each local authority. One Donegal councillor begged for this money

But the reason here wasn't some noble serve the citizens honour, he wanted to get the local authorities sweet so they would nominate him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

LuasSimon wrote: »

Jesus, I didn't realise it was that bad. I'd better stay in Donegal so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Peter Casey would be a brilliant taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Privatisation of health care is not solely in the remit of the Americans. It exists in European countries as well (e.gm Switzerland and that functions well). So whether he wants that or not, please do more research before preaching

• Advertisement

Why would a business person put the tax payer first? The business model is about profit not good service and value for money.
    Business people are the last people should be allowed near services.

I'm thinking a business person could manage it properly,
    The Children's Hospital debacle is a joke
    People are still languishing on trollies, and endless waiting lists, OT waiting lists etc etc
    right now patients and tax payers are not getting back out what their putting in
    Anyone that could run it with a semblance of decency would do.
    Business back round might help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

no.8 wrote: »
    Privatisation of health care is not solely in the remit of the Americans. It exists in European countries as well (e.gm Switzerland and that functions well). So whether he wants that or not, please do more research before preaching

Do you really believe we would follow the Swiss model rather than the American model? Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NSAman wrote: »
    “I’d give him one” says Mary Mcgee from Muff.....

But only if he joins the Muff Diving Club

Have to make sure he's not some carpetbagger but rather a carpet...'lover'...

The NCH was a private company asked to build it. The over runs wasnt because of public servants but government with eye off the ball and private business doing what it does, making money.
    Privatising with our shower of politicians would be a disaster. 'Loadsamoney' councillors and I guess uncle Dinny will set up a medical company if FG are in at the time.
    We need fix the HSE not hand it over to private profiteers.
    The long waiting lists have something to do with consultants shilling for their private clinics.

The NCH was a private company asked to build it. The over runs wasnt because of public servants but government with eye off the ball and private business doing what it does, making money.
    Privatising with our shower of politicians would be a disaster. 'Loadsamoney' councillors and I guess uncle Dinny will set up a medical company if FG are in at the time.
    We need fix the HSE not hand it over to private profiteers.
    The long waiting lists have something to do with consultants shilling for their private clinics.

I don't want to see health care in Ireland privatised either.
    I think someone with a business managerial back round would be less likely to 'take their eye off the ball' and allow the massive over runs in costs to happen.

Who would you put in place for minister for health?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Augme

"My live 24-hour call centre for voters will be up and running by Monday. People can ring in with their issues and problems and leave video messages.We’ll come back to every person who contacts us. "

A 24 hour call centre where poeple can leave messages. Amazing technology. Hopefully he would brings these new, innovative and forward thinking ideas to the HSE. He would have it fixed in no time.

Couldn't think of a worse person to out in charge of th HSE. He reminds me of Del boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He's going after Leo. :)

A free Ronnie Drew CD.
    Did I fall asleep and wake up in the 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What makes you think that?
    I personally think he would be a fecking disaster he can barely string a coherent sentence together never mind be diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lackey wrote: »
    I'm thinking a business person could manage it properly,
    The Children's Hospital debacle is a joke
    People are still languishing on trollies, and endless waiting lists, OT waiting lists etc etc
    right now patients and tax payers are not getting back out what their putting in
    Anyone that could run it with a semblance of decency would do.
    Business back round might help with this.

The problem with the cost of the children's hospital is as a former company owner said to me once. You wouldn't spend that money if it was straight out of your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

He should be told to f*** off back to 'murcia.

FYI: not a fan

Didn;t know he was Spanish!

Anyway, made a grand off him in the PE, so he can run all he wants and I hope he gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The man can barely string a sentence together. Taoiseach how are ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

I wouldn’t mind that actually, our country is currently run by teachers we need a few business people in power shake things up!

JMMCapital wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind that actually, our country is currently run by teachers we need a few business people in power shake things up!

They'll be just better at fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

They'll be just better at fiddling.

I highly doubt it everyone is held very accountable these days then I could be wrong, departments would be run a lot more efficiently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

He's going after Leo. :)

Leo? Is he running in Dublin or Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Does he know himself?
    He'll run where he reckons he can draw as much attention to himself. Seems to be his addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is possible to run in both constituencies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A business man as minister could work. Although I'd be surprised if he gets elected.

The Yanks thought that about their Presidency, how's that working out over there?
    Or the French with Macron?

Casey is problematic, but given the constituency he is running in will likely garner a vote.

There is a recurring theme that "business people" can improve government and that by bringing commercial sensibilities and blue sky thinking to a government they will also bring a new broom.

It's all bollox, when has it ever worked?
    Anywhere?
    It is simplistic in the extreme to assume that it could.
    Health doesn't need a maverick who tells like it is.

It needs a minister who will have party support to face down the HSE, and the unions, to gut the current structures and rebuild it as a patient orientated care system.

It doesn't need an independent acting the big I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The last thing we need is another blowhard sweaty incoherent simpleton.

But I imagine there will be dullards who give him a vote.

Advertisement