Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey Minister for Health

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you think Caseys handlers pointed him in the traveller direction? LOL! It came up organically!

Okay this seems to be the interview where Casey first brought up travellers.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/dr-gavin-jennings/

It's hard to be sure with his 'free association' interview style but this doesn't sound like a natural, spontaneous segue to me:
    Jennings: “I heard you quoted recently saying that you couldn’t understand why people who were homeless, who were being put up in hotels would complain about being put up in hotels.”

Casey: “Yeah, I mean, the ridiculous situation down in Cork where the Travellers were refusing four-bedroomed houses because they weren’t being given stables with them. I mean you’ve got to step back and ask yourself. I mean when did…”

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mickdw wrote: »
    I beg to differ. He went from no hoper to second place in a national pole based on a single issue. If that's not reading the nation, I don't know what is. Those are numbers that actually felt strongly enough to vote for him in a presidential pole. How many out there agreed with him 100 percent but didn't believe a presidential election was the place to register their agreement - a fair number I'd assume.

yes, he went from no hoper to second place, but second place was only 23%, so still ultimately a small percentage of the vote.
    ultimately he was overwhelmingly rejected by 77% of the irish population, even though the other votes were split between multiple candidates.
    so ultimately he only read the mood of a small number of people who would vote for anyone who said the same things as him.
    even if more then 23% happen to agree with him, i can't see that turning into votes. most people see people like casey for what they are.
    Peter Casey is successful in the real world. That alone separates him from the rest of the morons running!

as may be, but that doesn't make him a competent politician.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Peter Casey is successful in the real world. That alone separates him from the rest of the morons running!

FG and Casey diehard now. Gas.

You played the "anti-FG" card very well. But what a spin around. Even by Irish standards what a flip flop hahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

yes, he went from no hoper to second place, but second place was only 23%, so still ultimately a small percentage of the vote.
    ultimately he was overwhelmingly rejected by 77% of the irish population,

The turnout for the presidential election was 43.87%,
    You may have another look at your maths

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Who cares? He is a shaker upper and makes people like you respond so he is affecting you in some way or other.

The rest of them are promising everything or else moaning. I LOVE a bit of this shake up.

There's no shake up whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Who cares? He is a shaker upper and makes people like you respond so he is affecting you in some way or other.

The rest of them are promising everything or else moaning. I LOVE a bit of this shake up.

If he did nothing else, at least he put a stop to the absolute horse dung that was coming out of RTE and other outlets about the likes of Margaret Cash etc.
    We haven't had to see any more wide-eyed, plaintive, "think of the children" nonsense from the likes of Miriam since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

ultimately he was overwhelmingly rejected by 77% of the irish population, even though the other votes were split between multiple candidates.
    so ultimately he only read the mood of a small number of people who would vote for anyone who said the same things as him.
    even if more then 23% happen to agree with him, i can't see that turning into votes. most people see people like casey for what they are.

as may be, but that doesn't make him a competent politician.
    23% is almost certainly electable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

23% is almost certainly electable.

National polls don't always translate to general elections.

Plus Casey is a one trick pony, I imagine a lot that voted for him was a protest against the incumbent saying he wouldn't run again.

Boggles wrote: »
    National polls don't always translate to general elections.

Plus Casey is a one trick pony, I imagine a lot that voted for him was a protest against the incumbent saying he wouldn't run again.
    I can assure you that I wouldn't vote for him.

He got 33% of first preferences in Donegal last year; though Gallagher and Ni Riada also did well there. It may be that Higgins' schtick doesn't play as well there ( I can empathise with that at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is going to be great fun and we need more of it!

TBH the Vlad machine will eat him up and spit him out. But I doubt he is running against Leo at all. Just stirring things up for the Coppingers of this world maybe?
    So a hard right candidate is going to have more impact on the hard left candidate than the centre-right candidate? Strange logic.

The kind of shake-up that brought you Trump and Johnson. Be careful what you wish for.

I suppose it depends how you define 'success'. Some people can see beyond fumbling with the greasy coins in the till.

• Advertisement

I really believe that Casey discovered his was coming last and just personality wise wouldn't let that happen. Frankly ridiculous. I am genuinely surprised that he is bothering with this. Unless it is genuinely some crazy plan to fix the HSE (wanting to fix the HSE isn't crazy and maybe Casey could have a big positive impact in health but a vaguely toxic independent based in the USA with a holiday home in Inishowen isn't going to be made Minister for Health.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I can assure you that I wouldn't vote for him.

He got 33% of first preferences in Donegal last year; though Gallagher and Ni Riada also did well there. It may be that Higgins' schtick doesn't play as well there ( I can empathise with that at least).

President Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So a hard right candidate is going to have more impact on the hard left candidate than the centre-right candidate? Strange logic.

The kind of shake-up that brought you Trump and Johnson. Be careful what you wish for.

I suppose it depends how you define 'success'. Some people can see beyond fumbling with the greasy coins in the till.

How do you define success?

By all accounts he has made a lot of money, has employed hundreds of people, has a loyal and loving family and has had business success around the globe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

By all accounts he has made a lot of money, has employed hundreds of people, has a loyal and loving family and has had business success around the globe.

Doing well in business is just that. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well as a public representative. IMO you need treat a society like a family not a company. The goal is not profit but value for money. Any savings due to the cutting of services should not go on tax breaks for big business. This is how the business orientated tend to govern.

Doing well in business is just that. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well as a public representative. IMO you need treat a society like a family not a company. The goal is not profit but value for money.

If you don’t get value for money as a businessman you won’t be a businessman for very long. Who would you prefer negotiating a deal for you? Simon Harris who dropped out of a journalism course? Or Peter Casey who’s be negotiating with other sharp nosed business people all his life?

If you don’t get value for money as a businessman you won’t be a businessman for very long. Who would you prefer negotiating a deal for you? Simon Harris who dropped out of a journalism course? Of Peter Casey who’s be negotiating with other sharp nosed business people all his life?

It's allocation. Making cuts and getting a good deal to cream off the top for yourself or others is different, than having an end goal of value for money on public services.
    Neither.

It's allocation. Making cuts and getting a good deal to cream off the top for yourself or others is different, than having an end goal of value for money on public services.
    Neither.

How is it different. In the PS he’d be creaming off the top for the people of Ireland (Others).

“Neither.” What a pathetic response.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Peter Casey has no business standing for election in Dublin West. He has zero connection with the constituency, and has no interest in representing it in the unlikely event he got elected. This is merely a publicity stunt to him, and what he’s publicising isn’t Leo Varadkar’s or the government’s ineptitude, it’s Peter Casey. He’s claiming that a vote for him is an “obvious protest vote” against Leo. Surely a vote for any of the other legitimate candidates, bar the second FG one, is an obvious protest vote against FG?

Casey’s entrance into the election will definitely skew the vote, even if he only picks up a modest share of first preferences. He’s going to have an impact on the electoral outcome of a constituency that he doesn’t give a sh*te about. However as a voter in Dublin West, I most definitely do give a sh*te about who gets elected there, and I don’t want buffoons like this guy coming in and interfering with things needlessly. As it stands, it looks like there’ll be a tight race for the final seat in the constituency, probably between Ruth Coppinger of Solidarity and Sinn Fein’s Paul Donnelly. I’m no fan of either and would not generally give either a preference, but I may have to reassess that to ensure that Casey is kept out. To be fair to them, they both do a lot of work locally, and the constituency will suffer and lose a hard-working public representative if the unthinkable happened and Casey was elected.

So to anyone who thinks it’s all great craic and he’s a great fella for putting it up to Leo, all I’ll say is that it isn’t and he isn’t. His candidacy has real consequences for a lot of people in an area that he has no interest in simply because he wants to massage his own ego once more. So Mr. Casey, all I ask is that you kindly fcuk off back to Donegal and leave Dublin West in peace to elect TDs who actually want to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I think he’s massively underestimates what goes into getting elected in a GE campaign.

How many canvassers does he have? How well do they know the constituency? How experienced are they in answering voters’ questions?

This stuff matters.

Zaph wrote: »
    Peter Casey has no business standing for election in Dublin West. He has zero connection with the constituency, and has no interest in representing it in the unlikely event he got elected. This is merely a publicity stunt to him, and what he’s publicising isn’t Leo Varadkar’s or the government’s ineptitude, it’s Peter Casey. He’s claiming that a vote for him is an “obvious protest vote” against Leo. Surely a vote for any of the other legitimate candidates, bar the second FG one, is an obvious protest vote against FG?

Casey’s entrance into the election will definitely skew the vote, even if he only picks up a modest share of first preferences. He’s going to have an impact on the electoral outcome of a constituency that he doesn’t give a sh*te about. However as a voter in Dublin West, I most definitely do give a sh*te about who gets elected there, and I don’t want buffoons like this guy coming in and interfering with things needlessly. As it stands, it looks like there’ll be a tight race for the final seat in the constituency, probably between Ruth Coppinger of Solidarity and Sinn Fein’s Paul Donnelly. I’m no fan of either and would not generally give either a preference, but I may have to reassess that to ensure that Casey is kept out. To be fair to them, they both do a lot of work locally, and the constituency will suffer and lose a hard-working public representative if the unthinkable happened and Casey was elected.

So to anyone who thinks it’s all great craic and he’s a great fella for putting it up to Leo, all I’ll say is that it isn’t and he isn’t. His candidacy has real consequences for a lot of people in an area that he has no interest in simply because he wants to massage his own ego once more. So Mr. Casey, all I ask is that you kindly fcuk off back to Donegal and leave Dublin West in peace to elect TDs who actually want to represent us.

“Peter Casey has no business standing for election in Dublin West.“ - Any candidates are permitted to stand in more than one constituency under election rules.

• Advertisement

How is it different. In the PS he’d be creaming off the top for the people of Ireland (Others).

“Neither.” What a pathetic response.

Sure he would....

Don't get in a huff. I think neither would be better than the other for different reasons. I'd rather civil servants or admins looking after the day to day than having an arsehole in charge.

“Peter Casey has no business standing for election in Dublin West.“ - Any candidates are permitted to stand in more than one constituency under election rules.

Just because the rules permit it doesn't mean it's right.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I think he’s massively underestimates what goes into getting elected in a GE campaign.

How many canvassers does he have? How well do they know the constituency? How experienced are they in answering voters’ questions?

This stuff matters.

How can they look at themselves in the mirror? I assume it'll be low paid workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Zaph wrote: »

Peter Casey is a clown, nearly equivalent to the joke candidates you get in the UK election.
    But he does have every right to stand for election in Dublin west if the rules allow. And if people want to vote for him that is their right.
    I'm from Donegal and would be devastated if he gets in here, but that's democracy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe being happy and secure enough to not blame the woes of the world on the easiest targets would be a good sign of success. I'm not sure how you know the details of his family arrangements though. As Mrs Merton said, "what first attracted to millionaire Peter Casey, Helen?"
    If you don’t get value for money as a businessman you won’t be a businessman for very long. Who would you prefer negotiating a deal for you? Simon Harris who dropped out of a journalism course? Or Peter Casey who’s be negotiating with other sharp nosed business people all his life?

I'd prefer someone who knew something about public services to be negotiating a deal for public services. But either way, TDs don't negotiate deals, they set policy and allocate resources. Wouldn't it be great if those who give lectures on how the public service should work had the slightest notion of the Constitution? TD is the job that he's going for, and as a recruiter, I'm sure he'd agree with the importance of setting out clear criteria for the job in hand.

joe40 wrote: »
    Peter Casey is a clown, nearly equivalent to the joke candidates you get in the UK election.
    But he does have every right to stand for election in Dublin west if the rules allow. And if people want to vote for him that is their right.
    I'm from Donegal and would be devastated if he gets in here, but that's democracy for you.

Unfortunately he is permitted to stand, but as I said above, just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Between him and the other clown standing in something like 11 constituencies it makes a joke of the electoral process and it has a real impact on the people living in those constituencies. I think it's something that should be addressed, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Hilarious how much Peter Casey gets peoples panties in a bunch.

Hilarious how much Peter Casey gets peoples panties in a bunch.

I see it as reasoned calling out of Casey for what he is and you getting upset, which is your right.

I see it as reasoned calling out of Casey for what he is and you getting upset, which is your right.

I’m far from upset haha. I’m pointing out facts. Others seem to be getting very emotive and personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I’m far from upset haha. I’m pointing out facts. Others seem to be getting very emotive and personal.

Others are mature enough to take the state of the country seriously instead of ROFLing over all of the top LOLZ one idiotic egomaniac is providing at the expense of our electoral system.

Advertisement