Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy use home pc spec request

Options
  • 18-01-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not up to date with current hardware and afraid of going OTT / making a balls on the specs and would appreciate advice on putting together a fairly fast & quiet PC. I like this this Corsair 275Q case, want Win 10 Pro and I'm leaning towards an AMD cpu.

1. What is your budget? €800ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Heavy daily use, dual monitor home pc. File storage. No gaming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes. Windows 10 Pro

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No (apart from keyboard, mouse & monitors)

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 No immediate plans to upgrade

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Debit card / cash

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? DIY

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That case looks very choked on the front. I'd consider something more like the Define C from Fractal Design. Very similar, but much more room for the fans to breathe up front, meaning they can run at lower RPMs. (Also, corsair fans tend to suck)

As for components, I don't have a working script like some here at the moment, but:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    RAM: 16GB 32/3600 DDR4
    Cooler: Noctua U12S
    GPU: ASUS GT 1030 (passive)
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W

This should run you about €800 or so. By no means the best value, but it will be extremely quiet.
    By default the only fan spinning should be the CPU fan, and it'll be very low speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Serephucus wrote: »
    That case looks very choked on the front. I'd consider something more like the Define C from Fractal Design. Very similar, but much more room for the fans to breathe up front, meaning they can run at lower RPMs. (Also, corsair fans tend to suck)

As for components, I don't have a working script like some here at the moment, but:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    RAM: 16GB 32/3600 DDR4
    Cooler: Noctua U12S
    GPU: ASUS GT 1030 (passive)
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W

This should run you about €800 or so. By no means the best value, but it will be extremely quiet.
    By default the only fan spinning should be the CPU fan, and it'll be very low speed.

Thanks for that - I'll check those out. The Corsair case looks very closed in alright but I was drawn to it for that reason - there's cats in the house and there might be less chance of damage if they happen to piss on it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Heavy daily use, dual monitor home pc. File storage. No gaming.

What's heavy daily use? Any specific applications/workloads or are we just talking about general internet browsing, watching youtube, browsing boards/facebook etc.

If that's the case, you could probably just replace the 3600+1030 with a 3200g and save yourself a few hundred.

Then spend that money on a solution that puts the pc in a place where the cats can't piss on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

What's heavy daily use?

Sorry, that's a bit vague alright. I'm not running any specific applications or workloads. It's used for browsing, spreadsheets, playing music, Netflix, monitoring IP cameras and the current machine can suffer a fair bit of slowdown at times.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Advertisement