Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led light flashing

Options
  • 19-01-2020 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi, background:
    About 2 years ago I replaced a standard outside light (100w) with a LED floodlight (30 watt), non pit. Occasionally when switching on other lights in the house the outside light would go off momentarily and then come back on and remain so without issue.
    Now it goes out and stays off. Turn off the switch and immediately turn back on and light comes on again.
    Anyone have any idea as to what's going on?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

You said it was installed two years ago.

Is the phenomenon you describe recent or has it been like this since you installed the new light?

Just a further thought - perhaps your outside light neutral is looped to the internal lights.

Suggest that you check that the wiring at the termination block on your external is tight and dry ( isolate the power before, as you know)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

It was only a flicker for ages, but now goes out altogether. This is only recently. I think it is on a loop all right.

Iodine,

Perhaps have a good look at the terminaion block at this outside light.
    I dont know whsat is causing this but maybe there is an issue at the external light

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's dying.

If you still have the original receipt, bring it back and get a replacement.

Most have a 10 YR Warranty, avail of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Adrian for your suggestion. I'll check that out tomorrow in day light.
    Thanks also Steve, I was unaware of such a long guarantee. I'm thinking LEDs are fickle enough so l'm thinking I'll probably just have to replace. Thanks

A slightly differt point but I have found that LED lights do not last as long as promised (also they flicker as they fail)

Had a look at the wiring and all fine. I replaced the light and no flickering at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭con747

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Had a look at the wiring and all fine. I replaced the light and no flickering at all now.

I had a similar problem with one and it turned out to be water seepage getting in, but you wouldn't notice it when opened up. A lot of the floodlights being sold are not fully sealed to the required standards. Ip65 minimum is all I use now.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement