Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So the latest RED C poll says SF are level with FF on 24% with FG dropping and trailing on about 19%.

Seems the same old crap is happening again. Can't vote for FG, vote for FF. Nevermind that FF:
    1. Said Sovereignty is an outdated notion
    2. They plan to introduce a new tax on screens to fund the dying RTE which will be taken at source
    3. That they kept FG in power through abstaining from votes
    4. That they allowed an incompetent and underqualified Minister to hold his office with homelessness climbing to over 11,000 (and that is only recorded numbers)
    5. That they allowed an incompetent and underqualified Minister to hold his office:
      • While patient waiting lists went into years
      • The number of people on trollies is at over 700 per week
      • Cancer patients and children lost their medical cards
      • A children's hospital will be the most expensive building IN THE WORLD
    6. That their incompetence lead to the crash of 2008, one of the worst eras of austerity, and bank bailouts with taxpayer money (the same banks that will pay no taxes for the next 20 years)
      That had their own party leader(s) investigated for corruption

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Cass wrote: »
    So the latest RED C poll says SF are level with FF on 24% with FG dropping and trailing on about 19%.

Seems the same old crap is happening again. Can't vote for FG, vote for FF. Nevermind that FF:
    1. Said Sovereignty is an outdated notion
    2. They plan to introduce a new tax on screens to fund the dying RTE which will be taken at source
    3. That they kept FG in power through abstaining from votes
    4. That they allowed an incompetent and underqualified Minister to hold his office with homelessness climbing to over 11,000 (and that is only recorded numbers)
    5. That they allowed an incompetent and underqualified Minister to hold his office:
      • While patient waiting lists went into years
      • The number of people on trollies is at over 700 per week
      • Cancer patients and children lost their medical cards
      • A children's hospital will be the most expensive building IN THE WORLD
    6. That their incompetence lead to the crash of 2008, one of the worst eras of austerity, and bank bailouts with taxpayer money (the same banks that will pay no taxes for the next 20 years)
      That had their own party leader(s) investigated for corruption

I agree with every word Cass, but i honestly think the Irish are the easiest people in the world to brainwash. How many people do you hear saying "Ah sure, who else is there" or "sure me father/grandfather voted for them" when FF/FG is mentioned ?

All across Europe in the last 5 years, new parties have appeared and are doing well, the Irish still have the civil war/pro-treaty/anti-treaty mentality. So why not here ?

Heaven help us if SF do swing it, they will tax everything that moves, and a lot that doesn't, scaring off investment from abroad,the money collected spent on airy fairy leftie day-dreams, not to mention the likes of O'Snodaigh wanting a lot of our firearms banned and everything else stored in garda stations.

I wish i could move abroad, i would be gone like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Perhaps the key difference between Ireland and other counties, is the quality of the politicians on offer?

Ultimately, we probably get what we deserve, an endless list of shysters and halfwits. We continue to tolerate them, let them off the hook for all sorts, even promote them to higher paying MEP jobs on occasion, and then wonder why nothing changes...

Now, getting back to more immediate matters, has anyone actually tracked down any politicans or parties in Ireland that we can half trust not to do something stupid, to further restrict our supporting interests, please?

... Sadly, I've had no joy with any of my locals, that I've been able to ask, to date. Much as it sickens me to say it, FG are somewhat closer to neutral on the topic than others, not that its intended to be a glowing reference for them.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Perhaps the key difference between Ireland and other counties, is the quality of the politicians on offer?

Ultimately, we probably get what we deserve, an endless list of shysters and halfwits. We continue to tolerate them, let them off the hook for all sorts, even promote them to higher paying MEP jobs on occasion, and then wonder why nothing changes...

Now, getting back to more immediate matters, has anyone actually tracked down any politicans or parties in Ireland that we can half trust not to do something stupid, to further restrict our supporting interests please?

... Sadly, I've had no joy with any of my locals, that I've been able to ask, to date. Much as it sickens me to say it, FG are somewhat closer to neutral on the topic than others, not that its intended to be a flowing reference for them.

I was indifferent to FG until Varuka came along, cannot stand him. He appears to have been appointed purely on what he is rather than his ability, which seems to be wearing silly socks, poncing around with his chums macron and trudeau, and putting his size 12 in his mouth every other day. He is also like Macron, in that he seems to be more worried about the Eu than looking after the serious problems at home, like the health service and homelessness, which are a scandal.

Macron is on making grand statements about brexit and every other thing in the eu, while in Paris the police are baton charging the striking firemen, the judges went on strike, as did the train drivers etc etc.

tudderone wrote: »
    ....but i honestly think the Irish are the easiest people in the world to brainwash. How many people do you hear saying "Ah sure, who else is there" or "sure me father/grandfather voted for them" when FF/FG is mentioned ?
    I don't believe its brainwashing as much as it is apathy. People simply don't care if something is not immediately, as in there and then, affecting them.

The rest of if it as you say about lazy voting and voting as per family preference.
    All across Europe in the last 5 years, new parties have appeared and are doing well, the Irish still have the civil war/pro-treaty/anti-treaty mentality. So why not here ?
    Not that it would stop the rise of a new party, and the fact its a long term move, but if SF cannot be invited to leaders debate on two national channels what chance have other parties, especially new ones.
    Heaven help us if SF do swing it, they will tax everything that moves, and a lot that doesn't, scaring off investment from abroad,the money collected spent on airy fairy leftie day-dreams, not to mention the likes of O'Snodaigh wanting a lot of our firearms banned and everything else stored in garda stations. .
    First and foremost, i'm not a SF supporter. As i've said umpteen times i like the work of Pearse Doherty and even my local TD, for a while, was a visible and effective presence in the area, but that soon fizzled out and i haven't heard from him since the last election.

I also do not support their views/agendas on certain topics, not least of which is shooting sports. So if i were to vote SF it would be a protest vote which i simply don't do. That leaves me with independents which have not been voted into office in God knows how many decades.

Incumbents have a 70% chance of being re-elected simply by being the incumbent and couple that with the general apathy means that number rises to 90%+. I've been reading how Charlie Flanagan's seat is under threat but i'd go out on a limb and say he will most likely be voted back in for the previous reasons.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Now, getting back to more immediate matters, has anyone actually tracked down any politicans or parties in Ireland that we can half trust not to do something stupid, to further restrict our supporting interests, please?
    Nope.

In my area they stick up posters and hide until after election day. Not one knock on the door, nor town hall, nor Q&A forum.
    FG are somewhat closer to neutral on the topic than others, not that its intended to be a glowing reference for them.
    • They introduced the RFD SI without consultation
    • They have a semi auto rifle ban "looming" or rather threatening us
    • They bastardised and mutilated the EU directive without consultation
    • They intend to introduce the Deer course (that is also the fault of the IDS)
    • They are "looking" at banning NV stuff (again because of an Irish "shooting group)
    So not only are they not neutral but they're a harm to shooting sports as they simply act without consultation or even a heads up to the shooting bodies.

They would all throw us to the dogs if it suited them in a heartbeat, they have more to gain than to lose by doing so, we are a tiny minority, and one that suffers from events worldwide. So if there is a mass shooting anywhere, we get treated as guntoting nutters with ar15's.

Didn't ahern make great noise about "Not letting an American style gun culture take hold here", just before he took the centrefire pistols ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

SF will do well enough in the election but won't get near enough seats to form a government on their own. They need a big party like FF or FG to go into government with them but neither party will do that. Lots of people will say they will vote SF but I reckon they'll have a change of heart on the way to the ballot box.

There won't be enough seats between SF, Labour and the smaller parties/independents to form a government.

The next government will be a coalition of FF/FG so more of the same.

Here's my prediction (based on plucking figures out of my ar5e like David Drumm did only my plucking figures out of my ar5e won't collapse a bank and fcuk the country :mad: ).

158 seats
    FF 52
    FG 40
    SF 33
    Everyone Else 33

Too many small parties/independents for FF to rely upon so I'd guess they'll cosy up to their best buddies FG.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    SF will do well enough in the election but won't get near enough seats to form a government on their own. They need a big party like FF or FG to go into government with them but neither party will do that. Lots of people will say they will vote SF but I reckon they'll have a change of heart on the way to the ballot box.

There won't be enough seats between SF, Labour and the smaller parties/independents to form a government.

The next government will be a coalition of FF/FG so more of the same.

Here's my prediction (based on plucking figures out of my ar5e like David Drumm did only my plucking figures out of my ar5e won't collapse a bank and fcuk the country :mad: ).

158 seats
    FF 52
    FG 40
    SF 33
    Everyone Else 33

Too many small parties/independents for FF to rely upon so I'd guess they'll cosy up to their best buddies FG.

The melons could be the king makers, bad news no matter who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Cass wrote: »
    • They intend to introduce the Deer course (that is also the fault of the IDS)
    • They are "looking" at banning NV stuff (again because of an Irish "shooting group)

Sorry to drag off topic but, I thought that bullsh1t course, that had been lobbied for by the money grabbing scumbags who wanted to provide it(exclusively)?, had died a death??

And, I hadn't heard anything about a ban on NV, or an intended ban?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    SF will do well enough in the election but won't get near enough seats to form a government on their own.
    Correct and right.

They would need all independents not to mention the social democrats (give me strength) and possibly Lab or the Greens and most independents. IOW it'd be a mish-mash and end up a giant shouting coalition with such varied and conflicting agendas as to be unworkable.
    Here's my prediction

158 seats
    FF 52
    FG 40
    SF 33
    Everyone Else 33

Now 160 seats, and 39 constituencies. I agree it'll end up a FF lead coalition with FG. I reckon SF will do well enough, probably their best election in almost 100 years, but it won't be enough as you said.

I'll give my own predictions for sh*ts and giggles:

FF - 44 seats
    SF - 39 seats
    FG - 30 seats
    Greens - 13 seats (mostly Dublin seats)
    Lab - 7 seats
    SD - 5 seats
    Ind/Others - 22 seats

End result. FF led coalition with FG providing confidence and supply. Not only will it be easier to deal with one party than a couple of smaller ones, but given their past record, the TV debates with only the two of them, it's a pre-election deal i have on doubt was already struck.

Rifter wrote: »
    Sorry to drag off topic but, I thought that bullsh1t course, that had been lobbied for by the money grabbing scumbags who wanted to provide it(exclusively)?, had died a death??
    Almost, but we need to keep pushing to make sure it truly is dead.

The damage was done by their lobbying. They don't get to run it exclusively, but a course was promised. The Minister's office/statement said that a course of some kind will be considered by 2020, but only for those seeking first time licenses. From her statement:
    In that regard the Minister is satisfied that the most appropriate course of action is to consider the introduction of an appropriate training and certification process for first time applicants for deer hunting licences to commence from a date which will be determined in due course but certainly no later than 2020.

So if a course is introduced, and that is IF, then it will apply to only those seeking their first license and not to those that have done courses or held a deer license for the previous years (IOW prior experience will count, like with competence certification)
    And, I hadn't heard anything about a ban on NV, or an intended ban?
    There is no ban, i'll be clear on that from the outset for fear of being labeled as a scaremongerer, but some groups that call themselves shooting groups are lobbying certain TDs, senior Gardaí and Minister(s) to look at the subject of NV items and to have them banned because they say the NV stuff is the cause of all poaching.

Its a baseless and factless argument, but again we are being attacked from within by, apparently, our own. While it has not gotten much traction how long does it normally take, especially after an election when the Minister has 5 years to play with, for a Minister to take note that shooting groups are calling for the ban of an item that the Government doesn't really want us to have anyway and it gets banned?

Its the same mindless and poorly thought out logic that is used to ban legal gun owners from owning certain guns because criminals used them.

There is also the aspect of them wanting to control the sport. I find, as with politics, that those that shout the loudest about some "foul" or problem are usually trying to distract from something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hi,

Well,where do they come from?They didnt come from another dimension,or on the last shower of rain...We VOTE for them,and they come from us ,the people.If this is the best we have to offer,being shysters,gangsters ,fukwitts,entitled brats of family dynasties going back a 100 years because someones great great granddad shot a few Tans,or made Mick or Dev some tae and sangers or was in the GPO with hundreds of thousands of other Irishmen in Easter week..Or can kick or hit a lump of leather about a field for their county,or is a well paid civil servant with 12 weeks paid vacation in the Summer to persue a political career,once school is ou,or id demanding a place simply because of their gender....Well then expect to have all of the above making a complete pigs ass of our country.Garbage in,garbage out...Not that it matters anyway,we have been bought&sold to and by the EUSSR a long time ago by our own folks .
    It has been the policy of successive Irish govts to let Brussels make all the big
    grown up decisions,and for them to act like glorified,which they are, councillors in the Dail to coin it in,and retire without ever touching the levers of power,and have power for powers sake.

FFG is indisungishable in its policies,one has a wooden gay man,as leader,the other has a slimy weasel like creature who wants more EU,but will wrap himself in the flag when it suits.
    Labour is just nothing anymore,and wil be questioning its existence after this election.
    Shin Fein,the cult of "Jarry" hasnt gone away you know, with Corybunanomics with Brits outand a nation once again,with no idea of the consequences.
    Greens,Taxes and Eco Fascism.
    People before Reality,street thugs ,Marxists of all hues,Trotskiets,ANTIFA trash.
    Renua....Who knows?
    National Party...For those who found the Nazi party too soft and liberal.The Furher principle is alive around Barret and his missus.

Irish Freedom Party,a tack on from the Brexit movement,nascent at the moment,but seems to have its heart in the right place on certain issues,like "hate speech" legislation etc.

NONE of them have any sort of a policy on gun ownership,and those that do have an opinion on it, it is of the" ban them all.Look at America"... variety. Ergo, I'm sitting this one out and not voting.I refuse to vote for a different side of the bad FF/FG coin with whatever shade of red/green brought in to make up the numbers.Nor am I voting for any that overtly or covertly supports gun control in Ireland.
    ... Sadly, I've had no joy with any of my locals, that I've been able to ask, to date. Much as it sickens me to say it, FG are somewhat closer to neutral on the topic than others, not that its intended to be a glowing reference for them.

We were a hot ticket item for them,when they were out of power,and they were bending over backwards for us in the Dail public hearing.But eaten bread is soon forgotten...Take the broken election promises and political promises...
    Kennys promise of a review of the explosives legislation to make reloading easier... The Firearms Arbitration Authorithy ....Fitzgeralds ban,but not a ban clusterfk on semi auto rifle applications.The deer liscense fiasco ,and all the others Cass mentioned in his post.They are no better than the previous shower that was in power with that slimy cripple from Louth who banned CF handguns,and who destroyed shooting sports in Ireland in 1972 with their Temp custody order.

Two things to remember is before elections they will say anything and promise anything to get the aul vote,and they are all the same,no matter what political colour the pigs are,they are all still pigs,wanting to get their snouts into the trough of the Dail.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hi,

NONE of them have any sort of a policy on gun ownership,and those that do have an opinion on it, it is of the" ban them all.Look at America"... variety. Ergo, I'm sitting this one out and not voting.I refuse to vote for a different side of the bad FF/FG coin with whatever shade of red/green brought in to make up the numbers.Nor am I voting for any that overtly or covertly supports gun control in Ireland.

Griz, a lot of people don't know who to vote for this time, myself included, but it's even more important to vote this time because of that.

What I mean is, there is likely to be a low turnout, so your vote will count even more, whoever you vote for.

This election will just be laying the ground for the next one, because lots of people want something new.

Just VOTE, for someone, anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭.243

Here’s some food for thought for any fg knocking on your door,
    This current government is only standing in from the last election which was Hung and not elected in as enda kenny could not get a majority,he was only holding office as he was the previously elected Taoiseach,he stood down and varadkar took his place,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭.243

Here’s some food for thought for any fg knocking on your door,
    This current government is only standing in from the last election which was Hung and not elected in as enda kenny could not get a majority,he was only holding office as he was the previously elected Taoiseach,he stood down and varadkar took his place,

yubabill wrote: »

Griz, a lot of people don't know who to vote for this time, myself included, but it's even more important to vote this time because of that.

What I mean is, there is likely to be a low turnout, so your vote will count even more, whoever you vote for.

This election will just be laying the ground for the next one, because lots of people want something new.

Just VOTE, for someone, anyone.

Yuba,
    I understand where you are coming from,but I'm sorry my conscience and principles refuses to me to take part in a Lannigans ball vote for either side of a very bad coin of Irish politics.As people have said here,it will be proably FF with some bunch of mugs to make up the numbers,or more than likely FFG again.Oposition will be SF with a bunch of Lefties of various hues of red and green.IOW apart from moving the seats about in the Dail,it will be busisness as usual and the promises we heard will be tomrrows chip wrappers.So in my case I'm not particapating in this,basically giant cabinet reshuffle.

Yes there is a new party coming on the way,and it will be pro gun ownership,if I have anything to do with it.But it will be playing the long term game as well.If it even runs in five years time it wil be an achivement too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Yes there is a new party coming on the way,and it will be pro gun ownership,if I have anything to do with it.But it will be playing the long term game as well.If it even runs in five years time it wil be an achivement too.

Out of ignorance. What party is this.

Yuba,
    I understand where you are coming from,but I'm sorry my conscience and principles refuses to me to take part in a Lannigans ball vote for either side of a very bad coin of Irish politics.As people have said here,it will be proably FF with some bunch of mugs to make up the numbers,or more than likely FFG again.Oposition will be SF with a bunch of Lefties of various hues of red and green.IOW apart from moving the seats about in the Dail,it will be busisness as usual and the promises we heard will be tomrrows chip wrappers.So in my case I'm not particapating in this,basically giant cabinet reshuffle.

TBH i feel the same. When you remove the people who you do not want to vote for, in my case, FF, FG, SF, Labour, Greens, The marxist alphabet soup, there is very little left. I have valid reasons for not considering any of the above, most are either corrupt, inept, lazy or crazy, sometimes all of them.

If its fine on Saturday, i might wander as far as the polling station and see if there is anyone i could vote for. But if its rain, i'll forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

SF leading in the latest poll.

Are we crazy, desperate, or both?

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-tops-irish-times-opinion-poll-4991326-Feb2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-tops-irish-times-opinion-poll-4991326-Feb2020/

I am always interested in these snapshot polls, and how they may skew the opinion of other voters.

The headline is that SF topped a poll.

The reality is that 1200 people, if we assume c. the same level as registration as the Marriage Referendum(3.2million), is .04% of the voting population. Also, it says the poll was carried out in 120 locations. It doesn't specify what locations, and therefore the demographic that was being polled!!

Just food for thought.

Out of ignorance. What party is this.

Cant say as of yet.;)

"Donald Trump has no chance of winning in Nov 2016"
    Many opinion polls in the run up to Nov 2016:P

"Donald Trump has no chance of winning in Nov 2016"
    Many opinion polls in the run up to Nov 2016:P

Corbyn and his ban of self confessed Communists in the UK went by the polls, and were hiring the furniture vans to move into Downing street just before christmas, they got the biggest kicking since the 1930's, absolutely decimated.

People are pig sick of the alternatives (ff,fg), will put a peg on their nose in the polling booths and vote SF. SF will still not win, they don't have enough candidates.

Whats the story with that sudden death of a canditate in Tipp,and the concern tha it will delay the election,or will it just have to be re run in Tipp?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭garrettod

We rest our case M'Luds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tudderone wrote: »

Interesting that 2 of the Sinn Fein photos show at least one current leading person who knew a few lads who were very familiar with illegal weapons, guns included.

Advertisement