Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Had a twit from FG at the door again tonight canvassing. I was going to get dug into him, but to be honest i could not be arsed, just took the leaflet and closed the door. Desperation must have set in. I have been living here for decades and can only remember them being around once before.

People in the mejia are saying we're going to wind up with a half-arsed coalition that will fall asunder like a Chinese motorcycle in no time. We could be covering the telephone poles with posters again in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tudderone wrote: »
    People in the mejia are saying we're going to wind up with a half-arsed coalition that will fall asunder like a Chinese motorcycle in no time. We could be covering the telephone poles with posters again in a while.

FF and FG will jump into bed together to stop that happening.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    FF and FG will jump into bed together to stop that happening.

I reckon people are sick to the back teeth with both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I reckon people are sick to the back teeth with both of those.

Agreed but the alternative is no bed of roses either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭garrettod

In some respects, that might actually be a good thing...

Firstly, it'll send a very clear message to the outgoing government, that people aren't happy with a lot of things that they've done (or failed to do)...so they'll most likely be out on their ar$e$,

Secondly, it'll remind all politicans, that we the people actually have the power to decide who keeps their job, and for how long - we'll vote in... a bunch of incompatible lu-las, in the knowledge that they won't be able to hold it together long enough, to screw us all over for another 5 years.

Thirdly, it may encourage more good people to come out and stand for election, next time around, in the confidence that they can do a better job than the outgoing lot.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Well the big day is finally here. Been out and done mine.

Remember folks that regardless of who you vote for, GET OUT and vote. Last election had an approx. 63% turnout meaning over 1 MILLION people did not make their voices heard. You have no platform on which to complain if you sit at home and let others make the decision for you.

Lastly, fill in all the boxes. Not just your first few preferences. It only takes a few seconds more and your preferences will go to the candidates you nominate.

For the conspiracy theorists among ye, don't forget your pen (cos pencils can be erased :D )
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Cass wrote: »
    Well the big day is finally here. Been out and done mine.

Remember folks that regardless of who you vote for, GET OUT and vote. Last election had an approx. 63% turnout meaning over 1 MILLION people did not make their voices heard. You have no platform on which to complain if you sit at home and let others make the decision for you.

Lastly, fill in all the boxes. Not just your first few preferences. It only takes a few seconds more and your preferences will go to the candidates you nominate.

For the conspiracy theorists among ye, don't forget your pen (cos pencils can be erased :D )

Yes its always very disappointing to see a low turn out at the ballot box.
    It was hard enough to get the right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Where,exactly is somebody going to get the opportunity to erase votes ?

Vizzy wrote: »

Well we should have voting machines by rights........................oh wait :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

eoin.d wrote: »
    Yes its always very disappointing to see a low turn out at the ballot box.
    It was hard enough to get the right

I went in the early afternoon when the weather was nice, plenty of people out on foot heading to the station. The woman at the desk said things were busy, so fingers crossed Verucca and co are finished.

Thought the sarcasm blazingly obvious. Ah well, swing and a miss.:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

With the **** that went on in Ireland for years, corrupt td's, ministers, Garda, priests you name it, i would not be shocked in the slightest if vote tampering went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

With the **** that went on in Ireland for years, corrupt td's, ministers, Garda, priests you name it, i would not be shocked in the slightest if vote tampering went on.

Conspiracy Theory Forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>

giphy.gif

Conspiracy Theory Forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, like that old conspiracy theory that priests were raping kids and the church was covering it up, completely false of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Was out this morning, pretty brisk activity - probably all like myself, trying to avoid the weather.

Wonder if there's an exit poll after 10pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I went in the early afternoon when the weather was nice, plenty of people out on foot heading to the station. The woman at the desk said things were busy, so fingers crossed Verucca and co are finished.

So your up for Meehaul, Dilly O’Wee et al. The crowd that have consistently screwed up the country!

Vive la change

Rosahane wrote: »
    So your up for Meehaul, Dilly O’Wee et al. The crowd that have consistently screwed up the country!

Vive la change

No, never voted for ff in my life and probably never will. Independents.

Just seen the exit polls, fg, ff, sf all level pegging at 22%.

• Advertisement

If the bove numbers hold true it turns out i was off with the top three as they're set to gain about 36 seats each, butt he rest was pretty spot on.

I'll give my own predictions for sh*ts and giggles:

FF - 44 seats
    SF - 39 seats
    FG - 30 seats
    Greens - 13 seats (mostly Dublin seats)
    Lab - 7 seats
    SD - 5 seats
    Ind/Others - 22 seats
    Just have to see if "part 2" of my prediction happens.
    End result. FF led coalition with FG providing confidence and supply. Not only will it be easier to deal with one party than a couple of smaller ones, but given their past record, the TV debates with only the two of them, it's a pre-election deal i have on doubt was already struck.

Imagine being a pollster in Ireland though. No one gives you a straight answer.

I'm surprised there isn't a category for "sure a Garda wouldn't ask ya that".

Also, an old one, but still gives me the giggles:

Looks like Eoghan Murphy will hold his seat in Dublin Bay South. Eamon Ryan topped the count and SF Chris Andrews looks set to take the third seat.

Pascal Donoghue may just scrape by and hold his.

SF are outdoing Varadkar and Martin in their respective constituencies but both are expected to hold their seats. As is Lisa Chambers who has been int the papers on numerous occasions because of expense "scandals".

Coveney is just above Michael McGrath of FF, and they are sitting in third and fourth but both expected to hold their seats.

Shane Ross is looking likely to loose his sitting on just 8%, and last place. However that could change with transferred votes and depending on preference votes.

The Kerry Brothers were never a doubt.

No word on "cuppa tea" Harris.

Joan Burton set to loose her seat.

Seems a lot of TDs are getting votes because of incomplete voting cards. People only putting their first few preferences and in some cases people have only marked their number 1 candidate and left the rest blank.

Seems a lot of TDs are getting votes because of incomplete voting cards. People only putting their first few preferences and in some cases people have only marked their number 1 candidate and left the rest blank.

Don't reckon it will matter, we'll be back in the booths in a fortnight :confused:

Edit; maybe not

Fianna Fáil *may* be open to talking to Sinn Féin after all.

John McGuinness told RTÉ News: “We have to talk to every party and none. We have to put aside our differences with Sinn Féin and Fine Gael. We have to take the generational message.”

His FF colleague Marc MacSharry also appeared to leave the door open to talks.

Don't reckon it will matter, we'll be back in the booths in a fortnight :confused:

Edit; maybe not

Fianna Fáil *may* be open to talking to Sinn Féin after all.
    Yup.

They've done the math and realsied if they (FF) go back into coalition with FG they'll face backlash and criticism at every turn.

Also according to current tallies, which is not the same as votes/seats, SF are now leading with over 24% of the total. Meaning they have the prime position to seek a coalition government and its not up to FF or even FG to try and make some sort of mash up.

FF will look to SF for a few reasons.
    • They're more popular
    • They can take the blame if a SF/FF coalition happens and something goes wrong or promises are not kept
    • Martin is desperate to be in a position of power (Taoiseach is the goal, but if they enter into Gov. with SF he won't get that) so Tanaiste is better than puppet
    • People will be more willing to accept changes, laws, etc. if SF are head of the table

Yup.

They've done the math and realsied if they (FF) go back into coalition with FG they'll face backlash and criticism at every turn.

Also according to current tallies, which is not the same as votes/seats, SF are now leading with over 24% of the total. Meaning they have the prime position to seek a coalition government and its not up to FF or even FG to try and make some sort of mash up.

• They're more popular
    • They can take the blame if a SF/FF coalition happens and something goes wrong or promises are not kept
    • Martin is desperate to be in a position of power (Taoiseach is the goal, but if they enter into Gov. with SF he won't get that) so Tanaiste is better than puppet
    • People will be more willing to accept changes, laws, etc. if SF are head of the table

I wonder will the shinner entertain the ff crowd though ? They are diametrically opposed to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Yup.

• They're more popular
    I think sinn féin and ff would be the best outcome at this stage and pretty stable.

Advertisement