Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael 'in crisis' after falling 12% in the polls

Options
  • 19-01-2020 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

And the Sunday Times are putting it down to them wanting to grab the Black and Tans and shake them by the hand. Leo and Charlie Flanagan seem to have made a serious political miscalculation with their planned celebrations of the Royal Ulster Constabulary
    Fine Gael has plummeted to its lowest ever rating in The Sunday Times/Behaviour & Attitudes polling series, falling seven points in a month to 20%, while Fianna Fail is up five to 32% at the outset of the election.

The dramatic poll result, probably influenced by the row earlier this month over the planned commemoration of the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC), suggests there was a 12-point gap between the two biggest parties just as the taoiseach asked President Michael D Higgins to dissolve the Dail early last week
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/fine-gael-in-crisis-as-fianna-fail-jumps-to-12-point-lead-in-polls-hcbw5r26j

Its like Fine Gael have managed to win the ball but then theyve gone and stuck it into the top corner of their own net. A 12% fall in a tracking poll is unprecedented in Irish electoral politics, even allowing for the 3% margin of error Leo and pals have lost all momentum just days after he fired the starting gun.

Michael Martin now looking a dead cert to be the next Taoiseach, he is unbackable on Paddy Power at 1/4 on in a two horse race. I wouldnt mind but he hasnt even done anything, Fine Gael have literally given it to him on a plate.

Must say Id hate to be one of those many FG shills on here who have spent countless hours over the last three years defending FG and Leo and then he goes and blows his load early and serves the election up to Fianna Fail anyway. Talk about wasting your time for nothing anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And the Sunday Times are putting it down to them wanting to grab the Black and Tans and shake them by the hand. Leo and Charlie Flanagan seem to have made a serious political miscalculation with their planned celebrations of the Royal Ulster Constabulary

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/fine-gael-in-crisis-as-fianna-fail-jumps-to-12-point-lead-in-polls-hcbw5r26j

Its like Fine Gael have managed to win the ball but then theyve gone and stuck it into the top corner of their own net. A 12% fall in a tracking poll is unprecedented in Irish electoral politics, even allowing for the 3% margin of error Leo and pals have lost all momentum just days after he fired the starting gun.

Michael Martin now looking a dead cert to be the next Taoiseach, he is unbackable on Paddy Power at 1/4 on in a two horse race. I wouldnt mind but he hasnt even done anything, Fine Gael have literally given it to him on a plate.

Must say Id hate to be one of those many FG shills on here who have spent countless hours over the last three years defending FG and Leo and then he goes and blows his load early and serves the election up to Fianna Fail anyway. Talk about wasting your time for nothing anyway.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's not merely Tanfest that's hurting them. This was a sneery government generally. When problems were highlighted in the media such as housing the usual response was something like 'your problems aren't actually problems, you're just thinking about it wrong'

- then expecting to go out and turn on the charm at election time. Wasn't gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

**** ff, people have short memories. FG, flanagan in particular is a clown but at least they are planning on some tax cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    **** ff, people have short memories. FG, flanagan in particular is a clown but at least they are planning on some tax cuts.

Or very good memories depending how you look at it.

The black and tans controversy is being suggested as what has damaged them so badly, and if true, is a sign the Irish people don't like trying to have their history whitewashed regardless how far back they go

As for taxes.

How's that usc abolition they promised in 2016 going?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Making that promise is something they are good at.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-still-plans-to-scrap-usc-despite-imf-warning-kenny-says-1.2504358

• Advertisement

Im not pro fine gael at all, im thinking of myself here and they are more than likely going to put more in my pocket then anybody else, the ric commemoration was unbelievable but that clown flanagan is a nonsense virtue signaler.

USC is here because of ff dont forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Im not pro fine gael at all, im thinking of myself here and they are more than likely going to put more in my pocket then anybody else, the ric commemoration was unbelievable but that clown flanagan is a nonsense virtue signaler.

Are they really? I can't see anything in the last few years that would back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People should be more worried about housing, the dire health system, criminality and how much they have in their pockets, you know issues that affect living people, not emotional issues about long dead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Need to see other polls and establish a trend. I reckon it's a whole lot closer than that and SF supposedly at 19% is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

FF at 32%! It's like everyone has forgotten this shower truly fcuked over the entire country. I'm no fan of FG either, but come on, how can anyone vote FF after the previous time they were in power!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

FG keep scoring own goals ..thats the problem...the RIC commemoration was the final straw....what were they thinking ?

Love the way folks blame the Govt for the current law and order issue....sure they have some responsibility....but the abject failure of the Keystones and the completely broken legal system(a complete gravy train for the law library) are major contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The RIC commemoration was undoubtedly the straw that broke the camels back. Add to that the homeless issue, hospital cues persisting and worsening (also childrens hospital mess) and a lack of house building. Maria Bailey. And now 'the law and order party' message as people are being killed and chopped up. Their recent messaging and timing has been absolutely horrendous.

FG were on a wave with how well they handled Brexit but they just pissed away much of that goodwill with the RIC commemoration (and then doubling down on it and insulting peoples intelligence and morals).

They picked the absolute worst time for the election and I feel they will be given a right kicking. Martin didn't need to do a damn thing but sit pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

FF at 32%! It's like everyone has forgotten this shower truly fcuked over the entire country. I'm no fan of FG either, but come on, how can anyone vote FF after the previous time they were in power!!

The main issue is fine Gael seem to have forgotten that they were put in power to serve the people who voted them in. This simple concept seems to have been diluted down following years in power. With each politician seemingly taking on vanity projects to increase their ego.

This poll will open their eyes as to how far they are off the pulse of the voting public. Aleast in the last election ff knew they were in for a bloodbath prior to the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The RIC commemoration was undoubtedly the straw that broke the camels back. Add to that the homeless issue, hospital cues persisting and worsening (also childrens hospital mess) and a lack of house building. Maria Bailey. And now 'the law and order party' message as people are being killed and chopped up. Their recent messaging and timing has been absolutely horrendous.

FG were on a wave with how well they handled Brexit but they just pissed away much of that goodwill with the RIC commemoration (and then doubling down on it and insulting peoples intelligence and morals).

They picked the absolute worst time for the election and I feel they will be given a right kicking. Martin didn't need to do a damn thing but sit pretty.

Add to that direct provision, that is a mess waiting to happen as it's busting at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

They made a remarkable recovery in 2016 even, going on that and the previous election.
    I don't know if any or many of you on the politics thread are on Facebook or twitter, but there's a massive anti FG thing going on on both, if social media is anything to go by then I can easily see how there is a strong resentment being built up against them.
    Young people can't afford houses or rent, the homeless crisis, the health service is absolutely chronic, the trying to commerate the Black and Tans, drugs and horrendous murders commonplace, I could go on and on.
    They are in Govt and things seem to be out of hand all over the place.
    So if you want an alternative it's either FF or the left.
    FG have a massive massive job on their hands and a weak leader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

You love to see it. Looks like Madigan might actually her seat in my constituency if this is accurate.

They made a remarkable recovery in 2016 even, going on that and the previous election.
    I don't know if any or many of you on the politics thread are on Facebook or twitter, but there's a massive anti FG thing going on on both, if social media is anything to go by then I can easily see how there is a strong resentment being built up against them.
    Young people can't afford houses or rent, the homeless crisis, the health service is absolutely chronic, the trying to commerate the Black and Tans, drugs and horrendous murders commonplace, I could go on and on.
    Hiding behind technology or a username is easy enough and full of heightened bravado. Being forced to choose in real life is what adults do. They should take action and vote them out so but how many will bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

FG have definitely dropped and ff have moved up.
    But certainly not at the levels in this poll

And SF at 19%???

Not a chance.

The Sunday times polls tend to be quite different from other polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

FF are keeping their mouths shut, no policies, zilch. Hurlers on the ditch again.

People are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They have repeatedly promised tax cuts and delivered next to nothing for all those promises.

That 50k promise this time round was nothing short of insulting.

You love to see it. Looks like Madigan might actually her seat in my constituency if this is accurate.
    It's not, likely to be out by a bit. B&A not the best of polls and prone to exaggerating some party shares. I'd say both in the 25%-28% at present is a better prediction, with FF probably ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭CPTM

But FG has a massive debt to Europe because of FF's antics. Do you think FF would have gotten the abortion/marriage equality referendums over the line? I think they would have been too nervous about approaching the topics. At least Fine Gael aren't afraid to do things like that. I'm not even Fine Gael, I'll probably vote Green. But I am anti FF after what they did to us the last time.

FFs odds have now been slashed dramatically.

Most seats odds now at 1 - 4 on. For people not that familiar with odds that means if you bet on FF to return the most seats in this election you would get €1 back for every €4 you bet. If that bets successful.

Meanwhile FG are at 5 - 2 and as above, if you place a bet on FG returning more seats and it comes to fruition, then you would get €2.50 for every €1 you bet.

Each leader being made Taoiseach are as follows.

M.M 1 - 5 on.

Leo Varadkar, 3 - 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Darc19 wrote: »
    FG have definitely dropped and ff have moved up.
    But certainly not at the levels in this poll

And SF at 19%???

Not a chance.

The Sunday times polls tend to be quite different from other polls.

samples of less than 1000 are generally pretty useless, but the size of this swing is striking. FF/Green government again is seriously depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I remember absolutely despising FF for the mess they had us in by 2011. I was glad when FG took over.

But FG have showed themselves to be downright incompetent and contemptuous towards the people who voted them in. Uncaring and inccmpassionate to the people who need them most. They are a party of self servers.

I never though anyone could outdo FF in the dislikeability stakes. Well done FG.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I remember absolutely despising FF for the mess they had us in by 2011. I was glad when FG took over.

But FG have showed themselves to be downright incompetent and contemptuous towards the people who voted them in. Uncaring and inccmpassionate to the people who need them most. They are a party of self servers.

I never though anyone could outdo FF in the dislikeability stakes. Well done FG.

Pretty much this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

FG have made FF electable. What a waste of 9 years. Utterly depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They got nearly 400k first preference votes in 2011 when the country was in the grip of the crisis, Troika and bailouts. Huge portions of this country would vote for FF no matter what. Some of them lent their vote to other parties the last few elections, but they were now back to vote FF like nothing ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Fine Gael have a history of embarrassing themselves and imploding. From the cringeworthy Twink sketch at the Fine Gael Ard Feish to the current deleted Benny Hill video, they have proved adept at shooting themselves in the foot.

Varadkar, Murphy, Harris. They simply come across as people completely devoid of empathy and personal warmth.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement