Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael 'in crisis' after falling 12% in the polls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the poll was correct (which I don't believe it is) we would be at the polls again in 6 months in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

FF at 32%! It's like everyone has forgotten this shower truly fcuked over the entire country. I'm no fan of FG either, but come on, how can anyone vote FF after the previous time they were in power!!
    Because they are the best choice for the working people of Ireland not because people see them as some sort of Savior for the country. When you make your choice at the ballet box you choose the one that will benefit you the most .Like what is a credible alternative ? SF and the usual clowns like shouting out loud and objecting to everything but have no credible solutions. People see through their bandwagon ****e as was seen in the last set of elections. They just want to cream people that go out and work their ass off every week and give it to the ones who dont want to work.I live in a middle class area now but come from a working class area and i see what goes on there , anybody that wanted to make a good life for themselves did but you have Young ones spitting out kids to get a house ,claiming everything they can while their fellas do the same then if they dont like the house they are given they wreck it and declare themselves homeless - this practice is rampant and clogs up the system and prevents the genuine people that need help from getting it .SF facilitate that and have not a hope of delivering on any promise they are spouting out- look at the state of the North . Not many people would particularly like to vote FF but like me its the best horse to back currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

Would love to see FG get a kicking, but what do people think FF have been doing for the last few years to deserve getting into power? They've rubber stamped everything FG wanted to do. They had numerous opportunities to bring down the government if they had issues with the homeless crisis, HSE or any other issue, and didn't do it. They're completely complicit in almost every crisis that's happened under this government.

The poll seems to have been taken around the time of the RIC thing so that has probably coloured things, but I also don't think FG do themselves any favours with a sort of smug doubling down attitude any time they get something wrong. Leo doesn't come across well on doorsteps either, imo, while Micheal Martin thrives on electioneering.

I still expect FF will win the election even if this poll is a bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another couple of percent and FF will be pushing 70 seats. FG took 76 seats on 36% of the vote in 2011.
    In the notes on the poll as per Gavan Reilly Twitter feed the poll had FF at 49% in Munster. Let's not forget the likely 25%+ DK. I think it would be surprising to see anyone that high this time out.

joe40 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates and Shane Coleman have an election podcast which I think is very good.
    On the 1st one before this poll I believe he rubbished the idea of any were neck and neck. He didn't give fg a chance at all.
    Ivan Yates is always right even when he's wrong and he is that often enough. Ego the size of Wexford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

is_that_so wrote: »
    In the notes on the poll as per Gavan Reilly Twitter feed the poll had FF at 49% in Munster.

I'd well believe it. On his tours of 'the provinces' Leo looks like he's going to break out in hives at any second once he's beyond the Red Cow roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

When it comes to FG, my issue is more with Leo. He demonstrates zero empathy for real Ireland issues, shown many times in the Dail. He's soft on his own TDs and their antics, he waits until absolute public outrage before acting (Baily, Murphy).

I'm sorry but being a great taoiseach for progressive issues such as gay marriage and the abortion referendum is SIMPLY NOT enough. Alone, that will swing middle class voters in your favour but it's not enough. I'm sick of his superiority nature, he just stinks of it. I'm on board with some FG policies but I simply cannot support FG because of him.

This was appalling and a watershed moment for me

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1138796434080354304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In the words of that great modern sage Nelson Muntz "Ha.......ha".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

If the poll was correct (which I don't believe it is) we would be at the polls again in 6 months in my opinion.

Polls are funny things. FF would be wrong to believe this puts them in a good position.
    FG would wrong to assume this is as bad as it could get or try to ignore it.
    First poll of this campaign leaves everybody with food for thought, the worst thing for FG is everybody is looking at them governing and most aren't happy, so they are really the only ones who can be judged on present performance.
    If you're not happy with FG, who do you turn to, FF are the obvious conclusion imo, unless you yourself the voter have a complete change of beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTeD8CAIecQQw-xHyEW3M1xRDWy8KPr2lOBjftgQzLaxjANiMxx

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTeD8CAIecQQw-xHyEW3M1xRDWy8KPr2lOBjftgQzLaxjANiMxx

When policies are similar it comes down to people and character for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG again on the FF attack in their latest twitter post.

It's really is a godawful strategy as all it is doing is leaving themselves open to attack.

Very naive and childish of them. They need a new PR person.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    FG again on the FF attack in their latest twitter post.

It's really is a godawful strategy as all it is doing is leaving themselves open to attack.

Very naive and childish of them. They need a new PR person.

It's as though they are sitting on the opposition bench not in government! Should they not be re-iterating all the good things they have done?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nobody can say whether they have or not nor for FG. That horsetrading comes after the election. No party with any hope of getting seats will use that C word until then. The FF track record is to swallow juniors partners and spit them out.
    Potential partners will be aware of that and may or should drive a harder bargain.

Outside of Independents I cannot see FG having it easy either if they are looking for partners, and with the Independent Alliance now running for cover, Independents will have taken note as well.

FG`s traditional partners, Labour, after their 2016 mauling are not going to be keen, so basically all they would be left with are the Greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Reading the meltdown of FG supporters across different platforms is hilarious. It's only one poll FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jon1981 wrote: »
    It's as though they are sitting on the opposition bench not in government! Should they not be re-iterating all the good things they have done?!

Good point, instead of all the pre election promises of "
    • we will,
    • we will,
    • we will"

they should have been listing their achievements,
    • we have
    • we have
    • we have

Actually it was probably easier to just produce a list of what they're promising.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Haha. This is ridiculous. The Sunday Times Post is incredibly inaccurate.

FG are doing absolutely fine. I'm actually out knocking on doors and the message i am getting couldn't be clearer. People are happy with the progress of FG. Thank you for the equality referendum, thank you for the abortion referendum, thank you for getting a great brexit deal. Thank you for the increase in houses being built - good work and #lookingforward to more!

People don't want those corrupt gombeens back in power.

I'm #lookingforward to 5 more years of Leo, Simon C, Simon H, Paschal and Charlie. A winning team who have turned this country around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fine Gael's consolation is that its Fianna Fail. Its how the game is played.
    We've FF to punish FG with and vice versa. We need rid of both sets of cancer.
    The only real hope is a junior partner with the balls to take on FF and hold them to account.
    If that junior partner performs well they could split the monopoly of the civil war two.
    Varadkar will be funny in opposition but I think he'll take a gap year should they lose. He's no real interest in politics IMO and certainly abysmal at managing the country and his own manners.

FG are doing absolutely fine. I'm actually out knocking on doors and the message i am getting couldn't be clearer. People are happy with the progress of FG. Thank you for the equality referendum, thank you for the abortion referendum, thank you for getting a great brexit deal. Thank you for the increase in houses being built - good work and #lookingforward to more!

I'm #lookingforward to 5 more years of Leo, Simon C, Simon H, Paschal and Charlie. A winning team who have turned this country around!

Loving the comedic parody you're demonstrating. I'd pay to hear more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Doc07

As a piece of satire that’s actually not bad. Like something out of the Phoenix or Waterford Whispers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zombo-Meme-19012020133649.jpg

charlie14 wrote: »
    Outside of Independents I cannot see FG having it easy either if they are looking for partners, and with the Independent Alliance now running for cover, Independents will have taken note as well.

FG`s traditional partners, Labour, after their 2016 mauling are not going to be keen, so basically all they would be left with are the Greens.
    I'd never have a go at predicting the outcome of the post-election Lanigan's Ball!
    Our current arithmetic means that smaller entities can flirt with both for the best deal. It'll all be down to seats at the table though and coalition parties will plead the need for compromise as the reason why they ditched almost all their pre-election policies.

Now Paddy you're only codding yourself. Repeating the lie doesn't make it valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

I just can't get over how many completely avoidable own goals Fine Gael have been scoring in recent months. They're handing it to Fianna Fail on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Say no to Drugs kids!

Now Paddy you're only codding yourself. Repeating the lie doesn't make it valid.

All I can do is relay what I'm hearing with my own ears on the doorstep Albert!

When people look at the Mr. Burns lookalike in FF and all his crony spokespeople they don't see a credible opposition. I'll admit the RIC commemoration wasn't handled as well as it could have been (people just got the wrong message and aren't ready for it yet) but on the important issues, people realise that FG are the right choice to lead this country and are genuinely #LookingForward to a bright future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If that poll indicates anything it is that you should perhaps consider not mentioning Charlie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

jon1981 wrote: »
    When it comes to FG, my issue is more with Leo. He demonstrates zero empathy for real Ireland issues, shown many times in the Dail. He's soft on his own TDs and their antics, he waits until absolute public outrage before acting (Baily, Murphy).

I'm sorry but being a great taoiseach for progressive issues such as gay marriage and the abortion referendum is SIMPLY NOT enough. Alone, that will swing middle class voters in your favour but it's not enough. I'm sick of his superiority nature, he just stinks of it. I'm on board with some FG policies but I simply cannot support FG because of him.

This was appalling and a watershed moment for me

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1138796434080354304

But how could he have empathy? He's an uneducated airhead with absolutely no life experiences. This muppet gets excited at Kylie concert FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

All I can do is relay what I'm hearing with my own ears on the doorstep Albert!

When people look at the Mr. Burns lookalike in FF and all his crony spokespeople they don't see a credible opposition. I'll admit the RIC commemoration wasn't handled as well as it could have been (people just got the wrong message and aren't ready for it yet) but on the important issues, people realise that FG are the right choice to lead this country and are genuinely #LookingForward to a bright future.

Well as you're with FG, lies should be no surprise to you :).

• Advertisement

But how could he have empathy? He's an uneducated airhead with absolutely no life experiences. This muppet gets excited at Kylie concert FFS.

Uneducated? Our taoiseach is a medical doctor? I'm sure it's more than your degree from the "school of hard knocks" or is the "University of life" your alma mater? Haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement