Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael 'in crisis' after falling 12% in the polls

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't agree with you.

But fair play to you for joining and getting involved and fair play for admitting it.

Thank you. I've no reason to hide the party I admire. It's also great fun getting out and about. It was a very hard thing for me to start doing as I lacked confidence, but doing this has really increased my confidence over the last few weeks.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Maybe he still lives at home?

I do, but I plan to buy an apartment next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was up until around a year ago. Now I'm an active member of the main FG organization.

At least you have the honesty to admit it. A time in opposition is on the cards for your party but don't worry they'll get into government again. It's just a merry-go-round with FF and FG swapping places. Same circus just a set of clowns

At least you have the honesty to admit. A time in opposition is on the cards for your party but don't worry they'll get into government again. It's just a merry-go-round with FF and FG swapping places. Same circus just a set of clowns

You're probably right, but we won't give up easily. Hopefully, if we are in opposition, it will give me time to build up a profile and become a minister next we're in government :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Uneducated? Our taoiseach is a medical doctor? I'm sure it's more than your degree from the "school of hard knocks" or is the "University of life" your alma mater? Haha.

Medical Doctor. HaHa. He didnt last long now did he?

Medical Doctor. HaHa. He didnt last long now did he?

He qualified as a GP at the same time he was working on the council. He didn't last long because he was elected to the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Thank you. I've no reason to hide the party I admire. It's also great fun getting out and about. It was a very hard thing for me to start doing as I lacked confidence, but doing this has really increased my confidence over the last few weeks.

Fair play to you admitting where your allegiance lies but I doubt if today`s poll helped the confidence a lot.

Not trying to dent your confidence, but not a great idea to believe everything you are told on the doorsteps.

An old seasoned politician told me years ago that every morning of a count he woke up feeling sorry for all the other candidates because they were going to get so little based on his feedback from doorsteps.
    That belief stayed with him right up until the first boxes were opened where it melted away like snow off a ditch.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Fair play to you admitting where your allegiance lies but I doubt if today`s poll helped the confidence a lot.

Not trying to dent your confidence, but not a great idea to believe everything you are told on the doorsteps.

An old seasoned politician told me years ago that every morning of a count he woke up feeling sorry for all the other candidates because they were going to get so little based on his feedback from doorsteps.
    That belief stayed with him right up until the first boxes were opened where it melted away like snow off a ditch.

I tell all canvasser's they have my number 1. Gets rid of them fairly quick.

He qualified as a GP at the same time he was working on the council. He didn't last long because he was elected to the Dail.

Makes you wonder though why was he so keen to get out the health portfolio. A young doctor not wanting to change the health system, makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't rent, so I'm G.

Translated as "I'm grand, so **** everyone else".

You are a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I tell all canvasser's they have my number 1. Gets rid of them fairly quick.

I have a feeling there are more than just the two of us that do that. :)

Only bunny boilers would vote ff or fg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »

I wouldn't expect anything else off MM he's far to clever to show arrogance, I bet secretly he is delighted with the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

As someone earlier on the thread said, if you don't want FG the only credible alternative is FF. Unfortunately.

FG aren't convincing with their tax cut and "giving something back" rhetoric for their normal voting base (myself included). Leo promised to look after the people "who got up early", but instead we are still hit with punitive taxation for working hard, and the government doesn't seem to much care when money is wasted on the projects they are running. So...we're left with FF, god help us.

We need a party which supports people who contribute to society, and isn't competing with the left to see how much taxpayers money they can spend on overspending. Unfortunately FG was that party, but have thrown it away just when they should be reaping the benefits. It's a very difficult election to decide - FF would do well to say as little as possible I suspect.

We actually don't know if they'll be the next biggest party and it's not as if they've been trying to make themselves available for government. Really hard to feel any sympathy for a party that thinks it's repeatedly hard done by but will not act in a manner that befits a government party.

Neither of the other leaders has an awful lot of time for SF and it would be a spectacle of them both throwing repeated digs at Mary Lou, some deserved, some less so.

I wouldn't expect anything else off MM he's far to clever to show arrogance, I bet secretly he is delighted with the poll.
    I think he sees what a crock it is! :) He is right though, it's all about changing minds in constituencies to flip seats their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I said it at the time FG signed their death warrant in the last budget, they didn't give a euro to the squeezed middle.
    Harris and Murphy are the epitomy of incompetent.
    Swing gate.
    Water charges.
    The list goes on.

After promising to abolish USC the last time out, they are now trying to insult the voters by saying they will raise the standard tax bracket to 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fair play if you do. Just remember a lot of young people don't have the luxury of living at home and saving for a deposit.

rob316 wrote: »

After promising to abolish USC the last time out, they are now trying to insult the voters by saying they will raise the standard tax bracket to 50k.
    They've been saying that for a few years and it's not a new promise.

I have huge hopes in SF for the future though under the leadership of Doherty, I think he's outstanding.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Fair play if you do. Just remember a lot of young people don't have the luxury of living at home and saving for a deposit.
    Well, if FF have their way they'll give them money for that!

I have huge hopes in SF for the future though under the leadership of Doherty, I think he's outstanding.
    He's too angry and gets on people's nerves. He may have to do some rebuilding if their seat total slips. Remember they were down nearly 5% in the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, if FF have their way they'll give them money for that!

... and a gold ring forged in a volcano...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

He's too angry and gets on people's nerves. He may have to do some rebuilding if their seat total slips. Remember they were down nearly 5% in the locals.

You mistake anger with passion. I genuinely believe he gives a ****

You mistake anger with passion. I genuinely believe he gives a ****
    No, I hear a man who constantly raises his voice. That's anger. Passion is what Sister Stan and Peter McVerry have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't rent, so I'm G.

And this is exactly the attitude that is going to make sure that FF get back in to government. I'm all right so that's all that matters.

The smugness of your party is really turning people off.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must say Id hate to be one of those many FG shills on here who have spent countless hours over the last three years defending FG and Leo and then he goes and blows his load early and serves the election up to Fianna Fail anyway. Talk about wasting your time for nothing anyway.
    We have numerous posts about the election that this could be discussed in but it's clear from this bit that you are acting in a similar way to some of those you are accusing of being "shills" - Seems to be a case of "Let's start another FG-bashing thread". We have enough of them already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement