Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Cork - Ballinlough, Douglas, Blackrock, Ballintemple

Options
  • 19-01-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I’m moving to Cork with my husband and two kids. We are looking at the Douglas, Ballinlough, Ballintemple and Blackrock areas. We’re feeling a little lost at the moment. A lot of the houses around these areas are so run down with very low energy ratings. Lindville estate is so expense. Looking at Blackrock Villas and Aylesbury but my fear is that these just zoos which could look terrible after a couple years? So then I think I should buy an old house and just put in €100k of works.

Any thoughts?

It’s all a bit of a mindfield 😬

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

lalala85 wrote: »
    Hi I’m moving to Cork with my husband and two kids. We are looking at the Douglas, Ballinlough, Ballintemple and Blackrock areas. We’re feeling a little lost at the moment. A lot of the houses around these areas are so run down with very low energy ratings. Lindville estate is so expense. Looking at Blackrock Villas and Aylesbury but my fear is that these just zoos which could look terrible after a couple years? So then I think I should buy an old house and just put in €100k of works.

Any thoughts?

It’s all a bit of a mindfield 😬

May I ask what general areas you and your husband would be working in? And what about the area of your children's schools? Or has this been decided on yet?

Traffic in the city can be difficult and so proximity of locations would be my first consideration tbh. Of those areas I have only lived in Douglas but I can tell you that I quite enjoyed it! Is a lovely area with a nice community, park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Hi we’ll be working in the city and plan is for the kids to go to the primary schools around those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

I agree with you regarding many of the houses seeming run down. Now, that being said there are some beauties. Even in the old estates it's easy to see those that have been renovated to a nice standard.

I'm not too familiar with pricing atm (has Cork stagnated like Dublin?) but atm I would lean towards your suggestion of renovation (obviously site dependent) especially if it placed me in a mature area with a known healthy community stock (good neighbours, low anti social behaviour, schools etc).

I'm afraid I can't say anything more than than atm. You have however piqued my interest and I'll likely spend the next 20 minutes looking up prices over a good coffee!

Best of luck with this OP

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I’ll caveat I haven’t lived in any of those areas but I am from the city so can only advise on my general opinion of areas.

Generally in those areas new build estates haven’t been as common last few years. You’ve also touched on the most expensive areas in the City of Cork. So yes prices have slowed slightly in Cork but not by Dublin standards. And these are desirable areas so they will also fetch a good price regardless of the state of house.

Blackrock would be the most desirable area in Cork City and most expensive. But ensure it is Blackrock and not Mahon. They are close together and sometimes houses are advertised as Blackrock but really aren’t. There has been one or two new build estates there. Mahon can get a bad rep in some estates hence why you should ensure it’s Blackrock.

Ballinlough is a lovely area with the Lough. However a lot of houses in the pre 1964’s house need underpinning or will need to be. So costs can be associated with that and limited insurance. Again most houses for sale are where people have passed away.

As other posters have said houses bought last few years in those areas they have been done up really nicely. But you do need the cash behind you.

Douglas I find is a bit of heavier with traffic. Also has a bit more newer estates compared to the Blackrock and Ballinlough.

I’m not really familiar with Ballintemple.

All of the above areas are really nice. While Douglas is a great, lively spot with a nice village, the traffic is brutal so I would say be mindful of that.

You should also consider Bishopstown in the western suburbs which doesn't have the same traffic issues and has some excellent schools. Lots of spacious 1970s houses on the market there now primed for renovation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

lalala85 wrote: »

Any thoughts?

It’s all a bit of a mindfield ��

Hi OP, We had the same decision to make of those areas and bought a new build in Blackrock 2 years ago. It our opinion its the best of those areas you mention as its so convenient to everything yet no traffic noise at all. Marina 2 minutes and hop in the car and you down in mahon point in another 2-3 minutes,.

Douglas is an absolute nightmare for traffic and alot houses in Ballinlough and Ballintemple will likely need significant investment to modernize. The 3 bed in Villas in Blackrock all sold for same price as we bought our new build 4 bed in another part of same estate 2 years ago!

I dont get what you mean about the potential new build you mention looking like zoos as a quick basic look into developers show they have a strong track record for building high quality housing but definitely charge a big premium for that piece of mind. You seem to over thinking things abit so i do your research on builder next time around and then you have more piece of mind when pressing the button. Goodluck!

Advertisement