Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee maker for newbie

• 19-01-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I want to get a basic coffee maker, havent had one before and its a bit bewildering all the options out there so looking for some advice please. Its for home, just two of us, something thats relatively quick and easy to use, budget of approx €75

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

Have you looked at a plunger option? You'd pick one up quite cheap(well inside your budget). Just buy ground coffee then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

daheff wrote: »
    Have you looked at a plunger option? You'd pick one up quite cheap(well inside your budget). Just buy ground coffee then.

No, wont be buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

For the budget and quick 'n' easy route... and starting off, try out a good simple filter coffee machine. Pick any brand that you recognise/know. MelAnother simple option would be to get a stove top Moka pot. Simple and easy to use.

You're biggest headache, with any coffee making option, will be finding the coffee that works for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Rockfish wrote: »
    No, wont be buying one

why?

A French Press is a very good way to make coffee for more than one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

I just use a french press and the cheapest burr grinder I could find. Which was this at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You will not get any decent machine for €75, not even second hand.

Even if you do you somehow find a gaggia classic (probably find one 2nd hand for about €150 if you’re patient) you’ll then need at least triple your budget for a grinder capable of grinding finely enough to produce a decent shot of espresso from the machine.

Hand grinder and an aeropress, spend the remaining few euro on some freshly roasted beans. That by far is the best option for €75. Easiest and cleanest way of pouring a beautiful cup of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

im selling some stuff on adverts, its all in great condition and would suit a starter coffee drinker, I bought a bean to cup myself there about 6 months ago but i'ts all the makings of a half decent setup . PM me if its of interest, there is a hand grinder, stove top and a kitchen top coffee machine,
    https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/nespresso-coffee-grinder-espresso-french-press/18392538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got an aero press and a nice hand grinder , about €70 euro in total. I am new to coffee and I am enjoying buying beans and grinding my own. It’s as simple as it gets and makes a lovely coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Your requirements :
    Its for home, just two of us, something thats relatively quick and easy to use, budget of approx €75

wandererz wrote: »

Get a Tassimo as above. No messing about, no faffing about. Just place the required type of capsule in & enjoy coffee, tea, mocha etc in no time at all.

Nice & hot, better than nespresso too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No, wont be buying one

You won't find what you're looking for beyond a Nespresso/Tassimo under €150 realisticaly. You'll be disappointed trying to find a half-decent espresso machine on a €75 budget and that's not even factoring in the grinder.

Confused why you wouldn't even consider a filter coffee plunger as it will produce a superb cup of coffee and would accommodate a grinder in the budget, but okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You will not get any decent machine for €75, not even second hand.

Even if you do you somehow find a gaggia classic (probably find one 2nd hand for about €150 if you’re patient) you’ll then need at least triple your budget for a grinder capable of grinding finely enough to produce a decent shot of espresso from the machine.

Hand grinder and an aeropress, spend the remaining few euro on some freshly roasted beans. That by far is the best option for €75. Easiest and cleanest way of pouring a beautiful cup of coffee.

He could get one of these plastic espresso makers. They are decent for the price - £18. Mine started leaking slightly around the piston after 8 moths of 3 cups a day, but still works fine and it did me a treat as a stopgap between more expensive machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cnocbui wrote: »
    He could get one of these plastic espresso makers. They are decent for the price - £18. Mine started leaking slightly around the piston after 8 moths of 3 cups a day, but still works fine and it did me a treat as a stopgap between more expensive machines.

Not a proper espresso but not a bad option for camping etc...

Personally I’d rate an aeropress ahead of it. You really can’t go wrong with it.

I have a pretty good espresso set up but I’d say I only use it 20% of the time as i just love a long black from the aeropress.

I had a lovely espresso this morning as the kids were all pullin out of me for this that and the other. It was good quick hit. Lol.

But my choice these days if I was to relax with a quality cup of coffee it’d be from the aeropress every time. Fresh beans, grind and brew. Consistently perfect and relatively cheap.

for one cup aeropress is king for me but for sharing or working at home I French Press

properly dosed and brewed french press is unbeatable

and mine developed a crack and a leak today

Not a proper espresso but not a bad option for camping etc...

Personally I’d rate an aeropress ahead of it. You really can’t go wrong with it.

I have a pretty good espresso set up but I’d say I only use it 20% of the time as i just love a long black from the aeropress.

I had a lovely espresso this morning as the kids were all pullin out of me for this that and the other. It was good quick hit. Lol.

But my choice these days if I was to relax with a quality cup of coffee it’d be from the aeropress every time. Fresh beans, grind and brew. Consistently perfect and relatively cheap.

What other methods of coffee making produce a crema just like a 'proper' espresso machine? Certainly none I have used have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

cnocbui wrote: »
    What other methods of coffee making produce a crema just like a 'proper' espresso machine? Certainly none I have used have.
    Moca pot comes close enough for me

harr wrote: »
    Moca pot comes close enough for me
    40 years of using a Moka pot, and no crema. I feel cheated. :(

crema is over rated

Advertisement