Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical Elec bill for a single person in a 1 bed apartment

Options
  • 19-01-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

What would be a typical elec bill for a person living alone in a 1 bed apartment? The only items I use are a few plugs to charge my laptop and phone . I use other plus for my TV and PS4, I have the TV on stand by but I have a bad habbit of leaving the PS4 constantly on. Im not sure if this costs much? The only other thing is I use the cooker for an hour at night to cook my dinner and I have my emersion set for a few hours to heat my water. Oh and I have a plug in heater I sometimes leave on all night, Its freezing these days in the morning

Comments

The plug in electric heater will eat electricity anyway none of the other stuff will use much at all expect the emersion but as it’s on a timer it won’t be too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does your plug in heater have a timer? Use it. If not, get one that does.

Also what fixed heating does the apartment have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm thinking 60 is probably about the average but your usage appears way above that.

Leaving a plug in heater on all night is madness.

You can work out what it is costing from:

Cost = Power usage of heater X number of hours X electricity unit price.

The power usage of the heater will be written in it somewhere and will be something like 2kWh. You can get the electricity unit price from your bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Or just add a timer to the socket

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5440524

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

dubrov wrote: »
    I'm thinking 60 is probably about the average but your usage appears way above that.

Leaving a plug in heater on all night is madness.

You can work out what it is costing from:

Cost = Power usage of heater X number of hours X electricity unit price.

The power usage of the heater will be written in it somewhere and will be something like 2kWh. You can get the electricity unit price from your bill

You can't just calculate cost as Power usage of heater X number of hours X electricity unit price as a heater thermostat will probably cause the heater to cycle on and off repeatedly during the night.

You have to allow for the duty cycle (on/off ratio) also. This will depend largely on how well insulated the space is. In an A rated building it might come on very little after the initial heating up time. In a poorly insulated building it could be almost permanently on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jb35a

wench wrote: »
    Or just add a timer to the socket

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5440524

Will break in a couple of months switching such a high current load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

My bi-monthly bill ranges from about €120 in summer to €270 in winter, so from €60-€135/month depending on how much work the heating had to do to keep the place reasonably comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

storage heaters

but sur doesnt that need pluging in too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    but sur doesnt that need pluging in too

Nope. It needs a 13kg cylinder of gas, €30 if you already have a cylinder. Do you about a month, assuming you work and aren’t constantly in the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Don't.

Masses of condensation as there is no chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope. It needs a 13kg cylinder of gas, €30 if you already have a cylinder. Do you about a month, assuming you work and aren’t constantly in the flat.

This is top-up for a bedroom though. Really the electric only needs to be on for 20 mins before waking up, to take the chill off the room.

OP, fwiw, we're a couple in an all electric apartment with storage heaters. We only bother turning on the small one in the living room, because that keeps the room warm enough. If it's particularly cold, I'll switch the elecric in the bedroom on for about 20 mins before bed, and the same before getting up. But we're on the top floor, so do benefit from heat lost be businesses below us. Our 2-monthly bill ranges from roughly 130 in summer to 220 in very extreme winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

blackbox wrote: »
    Don't.

Masses of condensation as there is no chimney.
    Aside from the condensation and the carbon monoxide risk, it is quite likely to be not banned under the management rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I'm in a one bed apartment and my last bill was €87 for two months September and October, and €78 before that for July and August. My electricity usage is probably lower than average though as I rarely need to use the heating and I don't have a dishwasher.
    I'm on a night-saver tariff and I recently wanted to change to a regular tariff but I was quoted 170.00 to make the switch which I thought was quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

would you consider an electric blanket? 10c per day.

i got this one - Silentnight Fleece Comfort Control Electric Blanket - get one a size bigger than your bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Or a hot water bottle

I am a miser where ESB is concerned. Gas cooker etc.
    hi op

i got this one - Silentnight Fleece Comfort Control Electric Blanket - get one a size bigger than your bed!

hi op

If it’s just that the op is too cold in bed a blanket is an excellent suggestion! Even in a fairly warm house I use one to have the bed warm when I get in.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Or a hot water bottle

Go cold too fast and only heat a small bit of the bed. Also can’t keep the bed warm all night etc or be flicked back on if you start feeling cold.

I used to use them but electric blankets are far superior also my last one leaked which was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If it’s just that the op is too cold in bed a blanket is an excellent suggestion! Even in a fairly warm house I use one to have the bed warm when I get in.

Go cold too fast and only heat a small bit of the bed. Also can’t keep the bed warm all night etc or be flicked back on if you start feeling cold.

I used to use them but electric blankets are far superior also my last one leaked which was annoying.

Hot water bottle any day for me. The direct heat is far less overwhelming. An electric blanket left on all night is far too much heat and a hot water bottle filled quite full stays hot pretty much all night. A hot water bottle allows the balance between pleasant coolness and that little bit of heat much better than a blanket.

Hot water bottle? Sleeping blanket? Its not in the bed youd be cold its out of it getting ready for work

• Advertisement

Why would you leave a heater on all night if it's just for the morning? Leaving it on all night makes it sound like you were cold at night.

I personally am not too worried about a cold house for the 10 mins or so I spend between getting up and going out the door to work, once I wasn't cold in bed I'd be happy enough.

Disagree. hwb is perfect, with proper bedding. Read in bed with the bottle at my back.. perfect. bedsocks...

Once you get warm, fine. Also my cats sleep with me. Would not give house to an electric blanket.

Nesh people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I pay bi-monthly and it has been €120-140 in recent months but over the years have known it to be as low as €90 and as high as €240.

Electricity use for anything that is not a heat generator is basically negligible as far as the bill is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Jump out of bed, put on a jumper and start doing jumping jacks until you warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

@Grace, when quoting posts, could you please put your own words UNDER the post you're quoting, instead of above? It makes it visually confusing to see your response, before the original post that you're responding to....

Thanks.

Great idea!

Jump out of bed, put on a jumper and start doing jumping jacks until you warm up.

Advertisement