Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house for 120k is it possible?

Options
  • 19-01-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So recently me and the wife are talking about building but the main problem is getting a mortgage for 120k to possibly 130k! I have the land as it family and signed over in my name so the land is already sorted! I live in mayo but talking to people they told I'm wasting my time to buy a house already built but people have told my I'm looking at 200k plus but my dream was always to build my own house I'm not looking anything fancy or big just a plain small 3 bedroom bungalow does anyone know if this is possible I'm sorry if this is stupid question apologies but I have no idea how the construction game works any advice possible would be greatly appreciated it tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Mayoja1994 wrote: »
    So recently me and the wife are talking about building but the main problem is getting a mortgage for 120k to possibly 130k! I have the land as it family and signed over in my name so the land is already sorted! I live in mayo but talking to people they told I'm wasting my time to buy a house already built but people have told my I'm looking at 200k plus but my dream was always to build my own house I'm not looking anything fancy or big just a plain small 3 bedroom bungalow does anyone know if this is possible I'm sorry if this is stupid question apologies but I have no idea how the construction game works any advice possible would be greatly appreciated it tia

Not possible. For starters you need water, electric and either waste connection or treatment plant. These could eat a good chunk of the money. Current regulations require (and rightly so) certain levels of insulation and energy efficiency. Then you have minimum house and room sizes to comply with so the house has to be of a certain size. You won't get all that for the money you have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mayoja1994 wrote: »

Yes still think it can !
    I was at it 10 years ago could turn out decent 4 bed bungalow and dormers out for that !

The lads tell me materials are up a lot but I’d say it’s down to how much insulation , which u can’t skimp on !

Last house we did for in-laws , brought materials from the north , a lot cheaper !

Don’t skimp on insulation and go for good windows and doors , stay away from regular run of the mill suppliers! There poor enough to be fair !

If your not over the top on plumbing and wiring ! A good typical uncomplicated type 3 even 4 bed bungalow ! I can’t see why u won’t get for 130k

Sorry just to add that will be direct labour , either prices or day work !
    I was never a price man as I felt price work was mostly dearer ! But u would have to know ur day workers are workers and not on the phone at ur expense !

Also still worth throwing it out there to few better builders in the area for a full price , that would be without kitchen and bathroom ware , will come down to how busy they are !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes still think it can !
    I was at it 10 years ago could turn out decent 4 bed bungalow and dormers out for that !

The lads tell me materials are up a lot but I’d say it’s down to how much insulation , which u can’t skimp on !

Last house we did for in-laws , brought materials from the north , a lot cheaper !

Don’t skimp on insulation and go for good windows and doors , stay away from regular run of the mill suppliers! There poor enough to be fair !

If your not over the top on plumbing and wiring ! A good typical uncomplicated type 3 even 4 bed bungalow ! I can’t see why u won’t get for 130k

You can’t see it because it can’t be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

First meet with the planning department (preplanning) and make sure you will get permission. There are a lot of reasons why you might not get it.

A water treatment system will cost minimum around 8 to 10k, the days of the basic septic tank are gone. How far are you from the mains for water, or will you have to dig a well. Electrics are not 'basic' any more and are expensive. Heating likewise. And that's before you have bought a single concrete block.

You could buy a second hand house for your budget but you won't get near a 3 bed new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yes still think it can !

Sorry just to add that will be direct labour , either prices or day work !
    I was never a price man as I felt price work was mostly dearer ! But u would have to know ur day workers are workers and not on the phone at ur expense !

Also still worth throwing it out there to few better builders in the area for a full price , that would be without kitchen and bathroom ware , will come down to how busy they are !

So 10 years ago when there wasn't a job in sight for tradesmen you maybe turned it out for 120k? Not a hope in today's market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I work in this field in Mayo designing and certifying houses.
    I've a fair range of experience with different clients from those who use contractors to self builders to self builders who also personally take on much of the work.
    You wont build anything for that as long as you are building it to regs - which you will be if you are borrowing.
    You need to remember a lot of the costs are fixed regardless of house type such as esb, water, sewage system, solicitor etc.
    You are looking at 100k for roof on and windows in for an average size build. That is where the spending starts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

If you can do a lot of the labour yourself it would cut cost significantly. It's very very possible if you get the right materials and the right people. Also depends how big you want the house. You could always just furnish it to the bare minimum and buy things as you go. Talk to builders get rough prices for materials. Do a lot of research and see where you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How much is a experienced tradesman these days ,I got a local lad to roof a shed with me ,it worked out €150/day CASH .He was not idle for it now but it would be hard to keep the cost down if this is the going rate nowadays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

So 10 years ago when there wasn't a job in sight for tradesmen you maybe turned it out for 120k? Not a hope in today's market.

Good tradesmen are still 150/ day for a good days work ! A good sewage system was 6 k that time it’s not much more now !
    Listen I’m not getting into an argument with anyone !

Same as the childrens hospital if they went for a common sence rectangular build not an oval shape , money and materials are straight forward !

Same as this man if can put on a no nonsense roof , ie no valleys lead etc !

U can roof and slate a house like that in 3 days !

Talking about the expense starts when it’s roofed fair enough , but there’s no point bull ****ting it’s this that and the other !
    It’s radiators and few double plugs per room bar kitchen 8 k would wire a house of that size !

It will all come down to what tradesmen he can get for his buck

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So it just rads and sockets once the roof is on. No wonder you can build a cheap house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Good tradesmen are still 150/ day for a good days work ! A good sewage system was 6 k that time it’s not much more now !
    Listen I’m not getting into an argument with anyone !

Same as the childrens hospital if they went for a common sence rectangular build not an oval shape , money and materials are straight forward !

Same as this man if can put on a no nonsense roof , ie no valleys lead etc !

U can roof and slate a house like that in 3 days !

Talking about the expense starts when it’s roofed fair enough , but there’s no point bull ****ting it’s this that and the other !
    It’s radiators and few double plugs per room bar kitchen 8 k would wire a house of that size !

It will all come down to what tradesmen he can get for his buck

Tradesmen are double what you've quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Unless you are very handy with building works and have friends & family in the trade its highly unlikely. Phone a Quantity Surveyor they will give you sound advice, if you have a design they will be able to cost it for you. In the current climate it may be more cost efficient to buy a second hand house, despite you already owning the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

Just had a quick glance at my figures - we moved into a 1950sqft bungalow just after Christmas. Reckon we paid 28K in fees before a block was really laid - No way in getting around this. Albeit in Cork where things seem to be very pricey at moment.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057979006&page=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

For OP, how much of the work can you do yourself? If you can put the back into it, you'll save a lot. But it's a long haul and best done I think from savings rather than a mortgage. Despite what some lads will have you believe, most building work is well within the capability of anyone half way handy and ready to learn and graft. Research, read up, if you're not sure of some details ask a local builder/ tradesman - most lads are very helpful when they realise you're putting the work in yourself. I was at it for a year and more here, got help from neighbours with pouring concrete etc., paid for the roofing and got help with wiring but otherwise did everything else myself. Used to stop & look at builds at various stages to see details too, mind you there was some shocking work on display as well as excellent. Doing it yourself if you have the time and motivation is entirely possible and at least you can pay attention to basic things like installing insulation snugly, putting enough mortar into the joints, enough wall ties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's the way to go and if I had my time over again I would have built a smaller house on a smaller site. I have a 5 bedroom house and 4 kids that dont want to sleep in there own room they all sleep together most of the time.I would build a small bungalow with openplan kitchen and living room and 1 bedroom and bathroom down stairs and I would convert the attic and put in one large bedroom with play area and bathroom upstairs for the kids. Insulate it well and maybe a small wood burning stove in the living room with storage heaters in rest of house. Plenty people selling good kitchens and furniture on donedeal or adverts again.

Advertisement