Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK like so having a meltdown over something stupid

• 19-01-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭

I had three assignments to do for college.

I did them ...i did my best ...so i had another week to finish them but i was finished early and they were just lying there.

And so i kept adding to them and worrying over them....because i over think.

And there is a limit of ten pages for each essay and i was already going over.

So i just sent them early to stop me going nuts. I thought at least its done and they would be gone....

NOW I REGRET That ...i keep wishing i had kept them until the last minute to review and review and review them.

I am having a meltdown...i feel like inside is sinking!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Any work with a deadline is like that, did you submit on turnitin early? Possibly you can resubmit as many times as you like!

Tbh it's an assignment, once you've submitted, see it as done and nothing more you can do. Try focus on the next thing you have due and move your thinking to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Stop melting down. If possible approach the assigning teachers's and ask if you can have them back. It's unlikely they've started marking them if the deadline isn't up yet.

If that's not possible just remember that your overall success on this course does not hinge on these three assignments alone

Finally, have a method for essays. Give yourself a time frame, a day for library or downloading material, and day or two for reading (really reading) the material. Another for collating quotes and paraphrases. When this is done put the originals away and start putting the stuff you've collected together. It's not sexy, it's not creative or original but it gets the work done and stops the second guessing and analysis paralysis. It works, trust me.

This isn't your first rodeo, Vibes. You've done it before and you can do it again!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

They never read the whole thing anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Stop melting down. If possible approach the assigning teachers's and ask if you can have them back. It's unlikely they've started marking them if the deadline isn't up yet.

If that's not possible just remember that your overall success on this course does not hinge on these three assignments alone

Finally, have a method for essays. Give yourself a time frame, a day for library or downloading material, and day or two for reading (really reading) the material. Another for collating quotes and paraphrases. When this is done put the originals away and start putting the stuff you've collected together. It's not sexy, it's not creative or original but it gets the work done and stops the second guessing and analysis paralysis. It works, trust me.

This isn't your first rodeo, Vibes. You've done it before and you can do it again!

Good luck

Thank you so much that is a lovely thing to say! That sounds like a good method.
    They never read the whole thing anyway

I hope so ..i just want him to pass me!
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Any work with a deadline is like that, did you submit on turnitin early? Possibly you can resubmit as many times as you like!

Tbh it's an assignment, once you've submitted, see it as done and nothing more you can do. Try focus on the next thing you have due and move your thinking to that

Yeah i turned it in a week early ...it was just wrecking my head ....sadly they never gave us an opportunity to submit a mock assignment to the lecturer like they do sometimes. It would have been helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Oh Vibes I've been there. Not to the meltdown stage but to regretting handing the thing in early. I handed in my final thesis recently and honestly I never want to see it ever again! A good advance plan is great - write x number of words today and tomorrow, check references the next day, etc... then tick the item off your list and allow yourself a break. Essays tend to be quite formulaic, which means they can be time bound and approached logically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

They dont read it. I once tested this by writing unrelated sentences and random words in the middle of my essay's - I once wrote that I didnt care about the essay, im really bored, blah blah blah ... I got like 75%, they must of read the beginning, skimmed through it, read the end as they gave feedback but clearly didnt read the entire thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They dont read it. I once tested this by writing unrelated sentences and random words in the middle of my essay's - I once wrote that I didnt care about the essay, im really bored, blah blah blah ... I got like 75%, they must of read the beginning, skimmed through it, read the end as they gave feedback but clearly didnt read the entire thing.

Where did you go to university!?

I used to get my essays back with marks and feedback all over the pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Where did you go to university!?

I used to get my essays back with marks and feedback all over the pages.

It depended on the lecturer, some of them would leave feedback and corrections throughout but we always knew the ones that didn't read it and there were a few.
    One time a lecturer gave me feedback unrelated to my essay, had to go in an question him as to why I got such a low grade and what the feedback had to do with my research. :mad:

Advertisement