Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2020

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

technocrat wrote: »
    TG4 showing a meaningless game instead of Mayo v Tyrone !

Can't understand why they wouldn't jump ship to the other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it ever not raining in Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Great to see monaghan again in div 1 next year. Everyone generally predicts they'll go down each year. Some performance by Conor McManus again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

After all that drama the divisions for 2021

Div 1

Kerry, Dublin, Donegal, Galway, Monaghan, Armagh, Roscommon, Tyrone

Div 2

Kildare, Clare, Westmeath, Mayo, Meath, Down, Cork, Laois

Div 3

Tipperary, Fermanagh, Cavan,Offaly Limerick, Derry, Longford, Wicklow

Div 4

Leitrim, Louth, Antrim, Waterford, Sligo, London, Wexford, Carlow.

Teams in Div 3 and 4 will play in next year's tier 2 championship if they don't reach their provincial final.

Division 2 looks great again. Be some battle for 2nd in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's a very loaded statement.

Who do you think will win it ? :)

That's a very loaded statement.

Who do you think will win it ? :)

Mayo will surely win it but I more meant I wouldn’t count out the likes of Down and Cork from joining the race for promotion too with Kildare and Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wicklow.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There will be a battle for the top two places. I would not automatically assume that Mayo will go straight back up. Cork should continue to improve, Mayo could struggle in away games. It's team is getting older yes it has found a few new players but it team is similar to Kerry in 2015/16 needing a complete clean out sooner rather than later.

Depending on the draw if it has four away games and has play the stronger teams away it could strive to come back up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ebbsy wrote: »
    Wicklow.

That is all.

Brilliant, one of the perks of the lockdown is the gaa are showing all games,

Watched the wexford game yesterday brilliant performance, the pace ger brennan has them playing at is excellent, Mark Jackson is top class as is seanie ferlong, whisper it quitely promotion candidates 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mayo will surely win it but I more meant I wouldn’t count out the likes of Down and Cork from joining the race for promotion too with Kildare and Meath.

Lads Cork and down have not magically improved just because they got promoted from division 3, Down will be relegation candidates in division 2 Cork are not better then kildare meath or Westmeath at the moment neither side are as good as their tradition would suggest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I know it feels more than just one season but Mayo champs in 2019 and then relegated in 2020

Must be a record

Brilliant, one of the perks of the lockdown is the gaa are showing all games,

Watched the wexford game yesterday brilliant performance, the pace ger brennan has them playing at is excellent, Mark Jackson is top class as is seanie ferlong, whisper it quitely promotion candidates 2021

Ger Brennan manages Carlow I think, he was on the GAA Hour during the week talking about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Division 2 is such an unforgiving place. 3 points separating promotion and relegation.
    If Mayo go into next season thinking that they're going to walk to promotion, they're in for a big surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Ger Brennan manages Carlow I think, he was on the GAA Hour during the week talking about it.

Niall Carew is the Carlow manager with Ger Brennan coaching them. Davy Burke is managing Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Division 2 is such an unforgiving place. 3 points separating promotion and relegation.
    If Mayo go into next season thinking that they're going to walk to promotion, they're in for a big surprise.

Cork I think expected that when they got relegated from Div 1 in 2016 and fell to Div 3. Likewise with Galway when they got relegated in 2011 and it took them until 2018 before they were back playing Div 1 football.

It's a dog eat dog division and even more so now that relegation means tier 2 championship that let's be honest no county in division 2 wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I think this doesnt seem to be noticed here.
    It looks like the promotions and relegation for this years leagues wouldnt count next year and maybe never count. Very unfair on Armagh Roscommon Cork Down and Wicklow.

Because Covid they are thinking of stopping counties going the lenght and breath of the country like the Donegal team going to kerry and Kerry going to Monaghan. They are thinking of having geographical divisions, division divided into 4 areas. And maybe 2022 have the divisions based on this leagues out come so Armagh and Roscommon are in div 1 in 2022. But that might not happen eitheir. Thats seems to be unlikely. I am only guessing that part myself that they might have 2022 league based on this years league. We just dont know. But having a league based geographical area and they are thinking of holding it March April May next year.

They are thinking of 4 divs of 8 and then dividing each div into one group of 4 eg 1B and another group of 4 eg 1B and winners of each group play in div final eg 1A winners v 1B Winners.
    I am probaly not explaining myself well. It is very hard to teams who were promoted this year. Anyway here are the groups

North West Div 1
    Donegal Sligo Derry Roscommon Fermanagh longford leitrim Mayo
    North East Div 2
    Monaghan Cavan Down Meath Armagh Tyrone Antrim louth
    South West Div 3
    Kerry Offaly Westmeath laois Galway limerick Clare
    ( This will be 7 team div)
    South East Div 4
    Dublin Cork kildare WIcklow Wexford Waterford Carlow Tippearey

Last time they this had all divisions with div 1 2 3 and 4 teams in one div was 1998 when Galway who were rank outsiders at start of the year in 1998 won Sam in Sept 98. Galway were div 3 team in 97 and didnt get promoted or relegated in 97. They stayed in div 3. Yet 98 league GAA mixed up the leagues and Kerry and Dublin were in div 3 with Wexford and Galway and Mayo were in div 1 with kilkenny. Galway topped the group and won Sam. Technically the only team in last 50 years from div 3 to win Sam.
    So it is likely next years league will be shaped by Geography rather then merit.

^^^^^^^

Jaysus.... can see Dublin putting up a record points difference...

At least with the other 3 Div's there's at least two teams that can be competitive in each.

That takes away the whole point of the league and basically makes them the preseason competitions. Is there a massive pile of difference between the current setup and pretending Laois are in the south west and sending them down to Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not mad about this although I can see the logic.

Why on earth did they bother completing the league if these changes were in the pipeline?

Not that I should be complaining given our predicament but the existing league format makes it so competitive at all tiers as compared with the championship ( outside a few occasional contests and the later stages ).

• Advertisement

Where's this being reported anyway? I can't find anything on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not mad about this although I can see the logic.

Why on earth did they bother completing the league if these changes were in the pipeline?

Not that I should be complaining given our predicament but the existing league format makes it so competitive at all tiers as compared with the championship ( outside a few occasional contests and the later stages ).

The new championship structure is dependent on the present league placings. That new structure is due to start next year.

As the teams are now decided they can play off the two tier championship in 2022.they could promote and relegate to sort 2023 structure.

The new league may be a 12 months solution to friendlies to allow the 2022 championship to take center stage. However I expect the league to revert to it 4 tiered division system as soon as a vaccine is viable.

Biggest issue with an A,B,C,D system is the league would be a minimum of 9 games to decide the championship. 10 if the top two teams in each division made the playoffs.

ABCD structure may be just a solution to prevent mass numbers of walk overs next year if league goes ahead

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That takes away the whole point of the league and basically makes them the preseason competitions. Is there a massive pile of difference between the current setup and pretending Laois are in the south west and sending them down to Killarney?

Exactly
    The league is popular because it pitts teams of more or less the same ability against each other.
    This is nothing of the sort.

But then again where will we be with COVID come spring 2021.
    IMO we will just be out of a long winter, things will be no better than they have been for the last two games of the 2020 league.

So running a league like it was 2019 will not be possible, so something like this would have to be in place just to have games played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sonny678 wrote: »
    It looks like the promotions and relegation for this years leagues wouldnt count next year and maybe never count. Very unfair on Armagh Roscommon Cork Down and Wicklow.

Promotion and relegation will definitely still count.

What is being considered is that the Divisions would be spilt into regional mini-divisions.

Division 1 would be Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal plus the two promoted teams of Roscommon and Armagh.

This would be split into 2 mini-divisions based on geographical factors so Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal and Armagh in one group and Kerry, Dublin, Galway and Roscommon in the other group. Same for the other divisions. The winners of each group would play off for the title and presumably the two bottom teams in each group would be relegated.

This is currently only a possible proposal and I would rate the chances of it going ahead to be fairly minimal. Far far more likely to see neutral venues [with no crowds] for the entire league if there is to be any change to the current league structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sonny678 wrote: »

Because Covid they are thinking of stopping counties going the lenght and breath of the country like the Donegal team going to kerry and Kerry going to Monaghan. They are thinking of having geographical divisions, division divided into 4 areas. And maybe 2022 have the divisions based on this leagues out come so Armagh and Roscommon are in div 1 in 2022. But that might not happen eitheir. Thats seems to be unlikely. I am only guessing that part myself that they might have 2022 league based on this years league. We just dont know. But having a league based geographical area and they are thinking of holding it March April May next year.

They are thinking of 4 divs of 8 and then dividing each div into one group of 4 eg 1B and another group of 4 eg 1B and winners of each group play in div final eg 1A winners v 1B Winners.
    I am probaly not explaining myself well. It is very hard to teams who were promoted this year. Anyway here are the groups

North West Div 1
    Donegal Sligo Derry Roscommon Fermanagh longford leitrim Mayo
    North East Div 2
    Monaghan Cavan Down Meath Armagh Tyrone Antrim louth
    South West Div 3
    Kerry Offaly Westmeath laois Galway limerick Clare
    ( This will be 7 team div)
    South East Div 4
    Dublin Cork kildare WIcklow Wexford Waterford Carlow Tippearey

Last time they this had all divisions with div 1 2 3 and 4 teams in one div was 1998 when Galway who were rank outsiders at start of the year in 1998 won Sam in Sept 98. Galway were div 3 team in 97 and didnt get promoted or relegated in 97. They stayed in div 3. Yet 98 league GAA mixed up the leagues and Kerry and Dublin were in div 3 with Wexford and Galway and Mayo were in div 1 with kilkenny. Galway topped the group and won Sam. Technically the only team in last 50 years from div 3 to win Sam.
    So it is likely next years league will be shaped by Geography rather then merit.

Jaysus don’t Kerry get it easy whatever way it’s ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Where's this being reported anyway? I can't find anything on it.

It was all over the media. Off the ball was talking about the division of the leagues up in their media section when they were discussing articles in the media that was talking about next years leagues. They were talking about basically a division would have so many Ulster teams it would be like mini Ulster competition.

It was mentioned in national papers last week.
    Regards the north west north east south west south east division it was a lead article in the Irish Independent last week. And the Irish Indo does get good leaks from GAA hQ.
    The league being based on Geography seems to be what they have decided. Clearly the north east north west south east south west divisions is a kite and clearly thats what they are thinking. The league they hope will begin next March or April. I think its a certainty the league will be changed next year and will they try keep long journeys of the table. But the details we just have to see. Maybe it will be the divisions being based on current outcomes with 4 teams in one group and 4 teams in another group in div 1 and other divisions and groups divided up by location which would be fair to teams that were promoted this year, there promotion stands. But it looks like they are thinking of doing north west north east south west south east divisions with Dublin in with Wicklow kildare and Waterford, counties divided soley on geography to cut out long journeys. We will just have to see the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jaysus don’t Kerry get it easy whatever way it’s ran.

Their path to an AIF this year is an absolute sham tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Much different to what Dublin will face on route to the AI final? Clare, Cork will test Kerry about as much if not more as the 2nd best in Leinster will test Dublin.

The Connacht winner will be of a simliar quality to the Ulster winner so could be competitive or well beaten by Kerry, Dublin in the last 4.

Sonny678, as Fergal McGill (GAA games Games Administratio) said a month if the regional league comes in it will be a one off and the normal 4 divisions league will return in 2022. Last weekends relegations and promotion will be honoured. Regional league he and the rest of the GAA talked about was two groups of 4 in each region with top in each group playing in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

:pac: definitely chuckling away to yourself writing this as a Dub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    :pac: definitely chuckling away to yourself writing this as a Dub.

I wouldn't dare. :)

I'm so miffed at the format this year given the opportunities available to give us a full on knock out, that I'll be complaining about the potential for another kingdom "handy one" throughout the championship.

It's a tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They used to have a warm-up match then a Munster Final against Cork, sometimes a useless Cork and the a Semi-Final and Final.

Four games would sometimes get an Ulster or Leinster team to a Provincial Final win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Not usually on to defend Kerry but it was often brought up that Dublin were not getting tested when winning leinster titles and getting a rude awakening when they met other teams in the quarters.So its properly only handy when you have the players in the first place not just who will be on fire against far weaker teams . I know the risk of injuries or bans could come into play a bit as well but overall it can break either way .I OP

Advertisement